AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2012-01-03, 09:55   Link #1461
Lycodrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroIchiNi View Post
So you've been reading near the end of the story instead of the beginning?
Yes (I think).
I don't know how to find the other chapters, though, besides going through the entire thread all over again. Or something.

And with how it seems to be turning out, I don't know if I'd want to, either.
Old 2012-01-03, 10:07   Link #1462
rxrx

Well, I like Yunno too, but the fanbase hates him for some reason so he got married to his job. At least it is one of the most respetable ones out there. Then again, I think it is too much that he was never even mentioned and the game try to make it up by having the Vivid Trio know Yunno as Nanoha's teacher.

As for the game, Sequence 2 is where Yunno gets to see action as when selected, he gets to fight and defeat Amita, Vivio, the twins and finally Stern whom applaueded Yunno's ability in using magic and called him mentor as well. You may argue that the 'canon' that might be decided will have Nanoha plow through these encounters but 1 will not change is that Yunno defeated Vivio, the clone of the Saint Kaiser which is not a small fit considering his age and her skills. Nanoha is busy with Einhart at that time anyway so there.

I wonder if Yunno will gain more popularity if he is not a dude that looks like a girl but looks more like I dunno Harrison Ford in Indy Gear?
rxrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 10:16   Link #1463
Lycodrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxrx View Post
Well, I like Yunno too, but the fanbase hates him for some reason so he got married to his job. At least it is one of the most respetable ones out there. Then again, I think it is too much that he was never even mentioned and the game try to make it up by having the Vivid Trio know Yunno as Nanoha's teacher.
The fanbase hates him because he's a male "in the way" of NanoFate. ^^;
And you saying he got married to his job implies that he's happy with just that.
Of course the ViVid trio doesn't know him as anything else. No one really cares what happens to him after the first two seasons. He only got one or two cameos in Strikers.

Quote:
As for the game, Sequence 2 is where Yunno gets to see action as when selected, he gets to fight and defeat Amita, Vivio, the twins and finally Stern whom applaueded Yunno's ability in using magic and called him mentor as well. You may argue that the 'canon' that might be decided will have Nanoha plow through these encounters but 1 will not change is that Yunno defeated Vivio, the clone of the Saint Kaiser which is not a small fit considering his age and her skills. Nanoha is busy with Einhart at that time anyway so there.
I haven't gotten to play the game, and I don't think I will be able to. Sadly.
Good for Yuuno. Really. Glad that he gets his 5 minutes of fame.
But, sadly, that's probably all it will be.

Quote:
I wonder if Yunno will gain more popularity if he is not a dude that looks like a girl but looks more like I dunno Harrison Ford in Indy Gear?
Probably not. ^^;
Old 2012-01-03, 10:37   Link #1464
rxrx

Speaking of NanoFate, the real victim is Arf, whom is female, suppose to be close to Fate and her close family, but she also got shoved into the background. Heck, they could have use her as a baby sitter for Vivio but Zaffy got the job and he was very close to Vivio as shown in the game. That is the ulitimate victim.
rxrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 10:41   Link #1465
Lycodrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxrx View Post
Speaking of NanoFate, the real victim is Arf, whom is female, suppose to be close to Fate and her close family, but she also got shoved into the background. Heck, they could have use her as a baby sitter for Vivio but Zaffy got the job and he was very close to Vivio as shown in the game. That is the ulitimate victim.
Agreed.
Arf and Yuuno got screwed over. Pretty much at the same time. For no good reason.
Old 2012-01-03, 11:52   Link #1466
Sunder the Gold

Considering that Vivio defeats Nanoha and Zafira, I don't think that Einhart beating Yuuno reflects poorly on the archaeologist.

From a meta-perspective, the reason that Einhart won is that she's the playable character, so she had to win as a matter of "plot" more than anything else.

From an over-simplistic story viewpoint, it's already been established in ViVid that Einhart can beat Vivio. So Einhart > Yuuno > Vivio > Nanoha could make sense. Of course, Nanoha defeated Einhart, which proves this IS an over-simplistic viewpoint.

More likely, it was a mismatch of styles. Einhart is focused on engaging an enemy at close range, which is also where Yuuno's best offense can be found (FDB not withstanding). She can use her long range defenses to completely negate his long-range attacks, shrugging off his chains and throwing back his bullets, then getting in and outmanuevering and overwhelming him in CQC.

Nanoha is the exact kind of opponent that Einhart had to develop special moves to counter, but Nanoha is also good at being exactly the kind of opponent that Einhart has most trouble with.

Vivio is better able to engage her loli-mama at long range until she can get close enough to punish Nanoha at close range.

But by the same token, Yuuno's defense in long and short range is good enough to deal with Vivio at all ranges, and his close combat techniques are more "close range spells" than "contact martial arts", which she probably has less experience dealing with. Nanoha will swing Raising Heart for a physical attack, but Yuuno uses barriers, fields, chains and bullets.

(Someone who's actually played the game would actually know this, but) Yuuno might also be a sort of "counter-hitter" like her, which may be another thing that Vivio has little experience fighting.

So, with these factors in mind (and barring any factors I may have missed), it doesn't seem unlikely for these fights to end as they did.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 12:19   Link #1467
Lycodrake

Except this is one of the few times we see Yuuno in action. His 5 minutes of fame.
The only recent chance that he has to show that he shouldn't be shoved aside.

Of course, this is also the Materials and those sisters, who I can't remember the names of, 5 minutes of fame, too...but they're a major part of the game.

Whereas Vivio and Einhart have an entire manga devoted to them.
Same for Thoma.

Basically Yuuno gets the short end of the stick, since people like Vivio a whole lot more and will RAGE about him beating her, and then cheer about Einhart defeating him. "In revenge for Vivio" they'll say. Or something similar.
Old 2012-01-03, 12:24   Link #1468
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
I'm just wondering when Yuuno got so awesome like he did in the game.

Heck, him beating Seikou means he could, theoretically, beat Nanoha in a fight.

At least in this verse.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 12:45   Link #1469
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Gooj job as always Aaron.

Seems that Tohma's brokeness started to slowly return as Vita suffered the effects of the Divider, i'm still wondering what on earth Hayate did to Tohma in Force to make him so scared of her xDU I guess it's because Hayate's cautious/serious attitude towards him.

Amitie, dear lord, she not only was able to surpass the triple breaker with sheer badassitude, she alsu used that to recover her body to full power xD! It's all but stated that Amitie can use SPIRAL ENERGY xD!

*waiting for her to somehow cast the ultimate mecha/being/spell in the last battle out of pure hot-bloodeness xD*

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 12:50   Link #1470
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
I'm just wondering when Yuuno got so awesome like he did in the game.

Heck, him beating Seikou means he could, theoretically, beat Nanoha in a fight.

At least in this verse.
He fought off Vita (often aggressively; Protection Smash!) while also working on two different non-combat related skills, and unlike Fate (who was totally concentrating on Signum) and Arf, he came out of that fight without a single injury.

Also, Stern is using a newly developed variation on Nanoha's style, which she would lack experience with.

Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 2012-01-03 at 13:05.
Old 2012-01-03, 13:36   Link #1471
Hayate22
TSAB Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Hayate22 Send a message via MSN to Hayate22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
Gooj job as always Aaron.

Seems that Tohma's brokeness started to slowly return as Vita suffered the effects of the Divider, i'm still wondering what on earth Hayate did to Tohma in Force to make him so scared of her xDU I guess it's because Hayate's cautious/serious attitude towards him.

Amitie, dear lord, she not only was able to surpass the triple breaker with sheer badassitude, she alsu used that to recover her body to full power xD! It's all but stated that Amitie can use SPIRAL ENERGY xD!

*waiting for her to somehow cast the ultimate mecha/being/spell in the last battle out of pure hot-bloodeness xD*
Touma is scared of Hayate because of her demeanor as a commander. Also her forms of punishments are considered scary as heck. Imagine you as one of the Forwards trying to go up against Vita, Hayate and Nanoha all at once.
Hayate22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 13:39   Link #1472
Justin_Brett

Quote:
Whereas Vivio and Einhart have an entire manga devoted to them.
Same for Thoma.
I'm not a big Yuuno fan, but he's arguably got more character to him than Touma and Vivio at the very least.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 13:42   Link #1473
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayate22 View Post
Touma is scared of Hayate because of her demeanor as a commander. Also her forms of punishments are considered scary as heck. Imagine you as one of the Forwards trying to go up against Vita, Hayate and Nanoha all at once.
Have Subaru grab Caro and throw Caro at Hayate since Hayate stated that Caro could beat her? XD

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 13:47   Link #1474
Mirron

Send a message via AIM to Mirron Send a message via MSN to Mirron
I'm pretty sure Yuuno is happy being the Librarian for the Infinity Library. He only got sucked into the whole incidents because of circumstance, he didn't go out looking for them. And if he wanted a more frontline position, or even to be a doctor like Shamal (who also got sidelined, it was the support types in general who did, though Shamal/Zafira got off better than their Mid counterparts), he could have had it, but he does enjoy doing research. Given I rather like Yuuno, not saying this out of spite or anything like that Lyco (as I said on BL, I do like Yuuno (think I said that there)), just think you're being a bit... dismissive of his enjoying his job. And having read the entire story so far, I think he did a good enough job.
Mirron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 13:57   Link #1475
Sunder the Gold

Anyway, what's really sad about Yuuno's siutation is that this is his last appearance in the game. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he even has a speaking part after this, and I know he doesn't appear in any of the CGs.

And he and Arf are the only ones left out of the final battle.
Old 2012-01-03, 14:02   Link #1476
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
I'm not a big Yuuno fan, but he's arguably got more character to him than Touma and Vivio at the very least.
I do not disagree, but your statement could use an explanation of what you mean by "character".
Old 2012-01-03, 14:07   Link #1477
ecs05norway

Question: Anyone have the Weiss Schwarz cards from this game that they're willing to part with? Please PM me if so...
ecs05norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 14:08   Link #1478
Lycodrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
Anyway, what's really sad about Yuuno's siutation is that this is his last appearance in the game. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he even has a speaking part after this, and I know he doesn't appear in any of the CGs.
.........I'm not surprised...... T_T;

@Mirron: Yuuno may enjoy being the IF Librarian, but what was his motivation for doing that? IIRC, being able to help and support the Aces, Arf, and the Wolkenritter with information that they would otherwise not be able to get.
Old 2012-01-03, 14:17   Link #1479
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirron View Post
I'm pretty sure Yuuno is happy being the Librarian for the Infinity Library. He only got sucked into the whole incidents because of circumstance, he didn't go out looking for them.
He didn't have to go after the Jewel Seeds. He didn't have to stay and fight the Jewel Seed that turned into a monster. He didn't have to fight it until he collapsed; we know he can teleport away in midfight if a battle turns bad. He didn't have to fight Arf twice to let Nanoha focus on Fate. He didn't have to have to keep hunting and fighting the Seeds when the TSAB finally showed up to handle it. He didn't have to follow Nanoha down to face six Active Jewel Seeds at once. He didn't have to follow Chrono and Nanoha into the Garden of Time to fight the robots and brave the interdimensional voids.

He didn't have to rush to Nanoha's rescue against Vita. He didn't have to go back up Fate and Arf. He didn't have to fight Vita. He didn't have to return to Earth for the rematch, or stick around and protect anyone when the Lightning of Destruction came down. He didn't have to fight Reinforce or stick around to fight a Defense Program capable of destroying planets.

He stepped into all of that voluntarily. He was not entangled or dragged in against his will.

He is a scholar. But he is also a defender. He will support his friends, and never abandon a responsibility.

He would be a librarian, but when his friends call, when his support is needed, he will jump to help them. And being a librarian doesn't mean letting his skills stagnate, or else he'd have never learned to fight to begin with.

He would stand in front of the Unbreakable Darkness whether he had anyone at his back or not. He would be standing in front, the wall against the tide.

Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 2012-01-03 at 14:31.
Old 2012-01-03, 14:22   Link #1480
Lycodrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
He stepped into all of that voluntarily. He was not entangled or dragged in against his will.

And being a librarian doesn't mean letting his skills stagnate, or else he'd have never learned to fight to begin with.

He would stand in front of the Unbreakable Darkness whether he had anyone at his back or not. He would be standing in front, the wall against the tide.
Agreed. Yuuno has a lot more will power than most people give him credit for.