AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-23, 23:51   Link #1781
Melancholics

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask,
but where can I find full translations for the books from nisemonogatari onward?
I've been browsing through a lot of pages on this thread, and I'd really like to know more
Melancholics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 01:11   Link #1782
Xenosnake
Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholics View Post
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask,
but where can I find full translations for the books from nisemonogatari onward?
I've been browsing through a lot of pages on this thread, and I'd really like to know more
There isn't, though there are some summaries around.
Xenosnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 03:44   Link #1783
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Reading Otorimonogatari and.....

Is Nadeko really evil or just very very vulnerable inside....
She isn't either, really. She's just still a child emotionally. That's one of the reason's she uses Nadeko instead of a first person pronoun, just like a child would. She seems to still lack empathy so doing cruel things to others wouldn't affect her as it would someone more emotionally mature.

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など……。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 04:42   Link #1784
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
She isn't either, really. She's just still a child emotionally. That's one of the reason's she uses Nadeko instead of a first person pronoun, just like a child would. She seems to still lack empathy so doing cruel things to others wouldn't affect her as it would someone more emotionally mature.
I dunno...if you see throughout Otori, her inner monologues are like someone scared and in deep turmoil...
Old 2012-01-24, 06:52   Link #1785
Shikijin

It's nice that there is another person reading the books

I personally think that Nisio wrote some characters using characterization taken from psychiatric disorders. Of course, there are limits to what you can do because it is a dramatization, and you still have to leave somehow a good impression of the character so you have to choose only the most "stylish" aspects, but I suspect that was the basis.

I would call Nadeko a depersonalized hebephrenic. Don't check what these terms mean before reading the end of the book, though
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 07:38   Link #1786
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
It's nice that there is another person reading the books

I personally think that Nisio wrote some characters using characterization taken from psychiatric disorders. Of course, there are limits to what you can do because it is a dramatization, and you still have to leave somehow a good impression of the character so you have to choose only the most "stylish" aspects, but I suspect that was the basis.

I would call Nadeko a depersonalized hebephrenic. Don't check what these terms mean before reading the end of the book, though
Well Nisio Issin has a very good style of writing characters. It's like their personalities are somehow totally screwed up yet you still empathize easily enough with them.

I certainly pity Nadeko....
Old 2012-01-28, 15:11   Link #1787
endarion88

finally the bath shene animated now need the 18 years old shinobu and tootbrush shene too bad they skipped the fonding breat oath part...

Last edited by endarion88; 2012-01-28 at 15:31.
endarion88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 15:43   Link #1788
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
If they skipped parts then I would love to read it somewhere....
Old 2012-01-28, 16:19   Link #1789
Aleister

One minute of silence for Omimon, who probably died from blodloss earlier today.

And even though Shinobu isn't exactly my cup of tea, she's quite awsome.

Also, does Shinobu really think that it's just a matter of time before Araragi forgets about everyone?

In a way it kind of reminded me of Spice and Wolf.
Aleister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 21:24   Link #1790
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister View Post
One minute of silence for Omimon, who probably died from blodloss earlier today.

And even though Shinobu isn't exactly my cup of tea, she's quite awsome.

Also, does Shinobu really think that it's just a matter of time before Araragi forgets about everyone?

Don't worry I had plenty of tissue paper ready for this episode. For both sticking it into my nose and for "other" purposes.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 21:27   Link #1791
Romanticide

What all did they cut out from the bath scene? I thought she'd get an OP too.
Romanticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 22:16   Link #1792
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Don't worry I had plenty of tissue paper ready for this episode. For both sticking it into my nose and for "other" purposes.
Oh goodness, someone call the cops.
Old 2012-01-28, 23:22   Link #1793
Zaresh
Caperucita Roja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister View Post

After watching episode 4, I thought that they shared a relationship and dynamics very similar to the one that Lawrence and Horo had, except I didn't think they were so romantic towards each other. I felt like they were more lika brother and sister.
Zaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 23:27   Link #1794
Romanticide

So, will we see Teenage Shinobu? The next episode?
Romanticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 00:07   Link #1795
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

I reread the translated Kizu, and I still don't get it: Why can't Araragi forgive Shinobu? I know she can't forgive him for not killing her, but what about him?
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 03:28   Link #1796
Shikijin

Make sure you reread the first three chapters of Kizu posted on the site rather than the pdf.

Anyway, that verb "yurusu" has its peculiar nuances:

(v5s,vt) (1) to permit, to allow, to approve, (2) to exempt (from fine), to excuse (from), to pardon, to forgive, to release, to let off, (3) to confide in, (4) to give up, to

You can say the meaning this time was more like "to approve of her intentions", "to let her have her way". In Japanese this verb doesn't require an actual fault to be used.
Old 2012-01-29, 03:41   Link #1797
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
Make sure you reread the first three chapters of Kizu posted on the site rather than the pdf.

Anyway, that verb "yurusu" has its peculiar nuances:

(v5s,vt) (1) to permit, to allow, to approve, (2) to exempt (from fine), to excuse (from), to pardon, to forgive, to release, to let off, (3) to confide in, (4) to give up, to

You can say the meaning this time was more like "to approve of her intentions", "to let her have her way". In Japanese this verb doesn't require an actual fault to be used.
OH. Thanks, that explains it.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 06:03   Link #1798
Shikijin

Now then, I have reread that part about how Hanekawa convinced Senjougahara.

In fact, I admit I am not totally sure about the meaning of the following sentence. Araragi comments that that was the strongest "trump card", but it was impossible to use in the transactions with Senjougahara concerning Kaiki, all she could do was ask it directly, but even if she did it won't go as she planned to.

The sentence in original has actually no subject, but I believe Araragi was talking about Hanekawa. I think it's about Hanekawa asking Senjougahara to release Araragi. Her request was not something that could have worked, because since Araragi was confined by Senjougahara Hanekawa could not have really used him as a bargaining chip.

This is the original text:

まあ、まさかその切り札を、貝木に関する戦場ヶ原との駆け引きに使うわけにはいかないから、それについては 素直に頼むしかないんだが――たとえ素直に頼んだところで、そうそう思う通りにはいかないだろ う。
Old 2012-01-29, 21:39   Link #1799
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
I reread the translated Kizu, and I still don't get it: Why can't Araragi forgive Shinobu? I know she can't forgive him for not killing her, but what about him?
Didn't Kiss-shot see Hanekawa as "portable food" and almost kill her?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 21:41   Link #1800
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Araragi also witnessed her eating guillotine cutter, a human. Thats another reason, he couldn't accept her eating humans because he knew that she would continue to eat humans because she is a vampire and that is what she eats.

Tags
adventure, comedy, fantasy, harem, nishio, romance