AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-25, 11:02   Link #1
tomtkp

Animes,mangas or light novels that deal with "MMO games" issues

Yes, there are many animes or mangas that are based on console or online RPG games, such as the "Tales" series, Ragnarok etc but what about animes or manga that deals with "online game" issues like the relationship between online world and the real world or the serious implications that online games bring into the real world? I know that ".hack" series and would-be animes "Sword Art Online" and "Accel World" fall into this category but are there other animes or mangas or light novels or whatever that are similar to the above three?
Old 2011-11-26, 03:15   Link #2
Undertaker

there are not much else I can remember other than 1/2 Prince and Gamerz Heaven, both are manga.

Personally I can't wait for SAO and Accel World anime, both are great LN by the same auther, and IMO much better written that .Hack series.
Old 2011-11-26, 09:05   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

First, if you haven't seen the movie Summer Wars, that's definitely a good place to start.

I'll also suggest Welcome to the NHK!, though the gaming part occupies only a few episodes in the middle of the story. (Sadly Funimation now seems intent on only streaming dubbed shows through its own service and Hulu.)
Old 2012-02-05, 15:17   Link #4
tomtkp

I had just finished watching Summer Wars and I got to say it was great. Very heartwarming and very exciting at the climax. It became one of my all-time favourite titles alongside Steins;Gate, SAO (LN is good enough) and Kara no Kyoukai.
Thank you Seijisensei for recommending such a great show. Thank you.

Last edited by tomtkp; 2012-02-05 at 16:42.
Old 2012-02-07, 19:11   Link #5
DraGnaR

Send a message via MSN to DraGnaR Send a message via Yahoo to DraGnaR
Mmo typeanime

HUNTER X HUNTER greed island ova6

Thay trevel to a mmo world to vind his dad

Whit rare items skils and weapons

Tough i recomand u watch the original hunter x hunter b4 u watchit touch its. Notneeded .. btw also evaileble onmanga (typing on tablet no spell check sory ..
Old 2012-02-07, 19:30   Link #6
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Welcome to the NHK is probably a good one to go for. There is only one episode specifically about MMOs, but the rest is probably still relevant to what you're thinking about.

It's all about social withdrawal and dysfunction.
Old 2012-02-07, 21:57   Link #7
Divini
Senpai!

I will second 1/2 Prince, it has both online and real world storylines, but concentrates far more on the online world.
Old 2012-02-08, 03:19   Link #8
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

I'm following the series called The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor.

Its about a young guy whose family owed a massive debt thus he's very frugal and hardworking and his only recreation is playing an old online game that when he sells the account surprises him at how much it makes. He then decides to be a gold and item farmer in the newest virtual reality MMORPG to make money. The guy is not a hero/good guy by a long shot but gets mistaken as one. The entire series actually has places where his stats are shown as well.

It has 33 volumes now and its been very slowly translated to volume 2 chapter 8 in english over at http://novel.oddsquad.org/p/moonlight-sculptor.html . You can read the first chapter to see if the character clicks with you but his adventures in the virtual reality game only starts in chapter 2
Old 2012-02-08, 04:20   Link #9
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

There's two episodes of Haganai which parodies the MMO stuff.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-02-08, 10:13   Link #10
tomtkp

Thanks for the recommendations.
I also have to mention that I had watched Haganai and HUNTER X HUNTER (yeah, that includes the 1999 anime version). Furthermore, I am already a HXH fan long ago.

1/2 Prince...hmm, I read the first chapter before but unfortunately it was not my type. Maybe it's because I felt uneasy looking at the main female character using a male avatar. Sorry about that.
Old 2012-02-08, 11:25   Link #11
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtkp View Post
1/2 Prince...hmm, I read the first chapter before but unfortunately it was not my type. Maybe it's because I felt uneasy looking at the main female character using a male avatar. Sorry about that.
It's weird for you to dislike that gender bender stuff.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-02-08, 13:52   Link #12
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

How about YUREKA, I remember reading that a while back and I found it quite interesting.
Closed Thread

Tags
anime, light novel, manga, mmo games, science fiction