AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2005-12-18, 20:52   Link #1
Mangaka-chan

Victorian Romance Emma

For all Emma fans out there, here is the rebirth of the Emma thread. Now onto the news. Iichan recently posted the scanns for the raws of Chapter 48 and let's just say this chapter means a lot of things will be happening soon!

Spoiler:
Old 2005-12-18, 23:03   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Below are the posts from the "Victorian Romance Emma MANGA" thread, 2005-04-18, 07:14 to 2005-11-13, 18:12 inclusive. Curtsy of Yahoo!
Spoiler:
Old 2005-12-19, 03:20   Link #3
Mangaka-chan

LOL, nice job NightWish! So all is not lost after all!
Old 2005-12-19, 05:23   Link #4
NeoSam

The manga is serialized in the seinen(young men's) manga magazine Comic Beam.

This is a seinen manga/anime.

Genre: Seinen, Drama, Romance, Slice-Of-Life.
Old 2005-12-19, 13:52   Link #5
shadowmoon
Grasshopper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangaka-chan
Spoiler:
This brings to mind a potential tie-in with some details that were revealed in earlier chapters:
Spoiler:
Old 2005-12-19, 18:06   Link #6
Mangaka-chan

Hmm, that's an interesting thought there shadowmoon. But the thing is Emma doesn't know German (at least at this point the mangaka didn't say she did) although she does know some French. It seemed to me also that the Molder children didn't know English, or at least not very well. How will she be able to teach the children if she couldn't even communicate fluently with them?
Old 2005-12-20, 13:52   Link #7
shadowmoon
Grasshopper

Oh no, I forgot about the language barrier!
Spoiler:
Old 2005-12-20, 17:29   Link #8
Mangaka-chan

You have a good point. But how much more up the social ladder is a governess from a maid? I suppose there is more respectablility there but that still doesn't mean Emma will be treated on equal grounds to the aristocrates and wealthy merchants. Personally I don't think she ever will be. Perhaps the opinions of certain characters will change with the development of the story but on a larger social scale she's just one person causing a ripple that will eventually level out.
Old 2005-12-21, 00:35   Link #9
shadowmoon
Grasshopper

Ack. I should not have used the term "social ladder". Sorry. I wanted to convey that Emma is able to prove herself not just worthy of William, which I have no doubt she is. As in, I think she wants to accomplish something on her own terms as well. Hmm, not so much climbing the social ladder, but rather just doing something worthwhile, to be proud of, for herself too.

I think this makes more sense?
Old 2005-12-21, 01:06   Link #10
ltorivia485

I am not sure if people have read Chapter 48, but I think Emma and William should have at least done some kissing and hugging! (sighs)
Old 2005-12-21, 03:15   Link #11
Mangaka-chan

I see now and I totally agree with you shadowmoon. The driving force behind mangas like Emma is to both tell a love story and also to show the strength of the human will. I'm sure Moari-san will do both, we just don't know how

And to Itorivia485, (just to be safe I'll use spoiler tags)

Spoiler:

But regarding your complaint, since this is a historically based manga, as far as I know back in the Victorian era a man kissing a woman or vice versa would be considered a very outragous thing to do in public. Kissing a woman's hand is perfectly alright but on the mouth...back then it would have been quite scandulous. Besides, Emma's personality does not call for great swoons of passion, she's too shy and lady-like for that. And William, well he's more worried about being able to see Emma and be with her than anything else. Perhaps in the future when the two of them will have more time together we will get to see more fluff but until then knowing the two of them will be able to see each other is good enough for me.
Old 2005-12-21, 16:56   Link #12
shadowmoon
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltorivia485
I am not sure if people have read Chapter 48, but I think Emma and William should have at least done some kissing and hugging! (sighs)
Spoiler:
Old 2005-12-21, 17:15   Link #13
ltorivia485

Um, Shadow I did not deny those chapters. However, I'm talking about the most recent chapter (Chapter 48). They should have done something!
Old 2005-12-21, 19:44   Link #14
Mangaka-chan

Well hopefully they will do "something" but I'm thinking it'll probably be a private moment between the two However I don't see room for fluff right now considering:

Spoiler:
Old 2005-12-21, 21:04   Link #15
shadowmoon
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltorivia485
Um, Shadow I did not deny those chapters. However, I'm talking about the most recent chapter (Chapter 48). They should have done something!
gomen nasai!
Old 2005-12-22, 00:45   Link #16
ltorivia485

Spoiler:
Old 2005-12-23, 02:49   Link #17
JokerD

I have my own misgivings on how far Emma can advance herself. She still has a maid mentality which she wants to for maybe even needs to do something (housework) and as long as she still has actions like that it is unlikely that she can break out of the social ladder system for that time.
Granted that it will take time to adjust herself, I'll have to she if she changed in the coming chapters.
Old 2005-12-23, 15:37   Link #18
Mangaka-chan

I think Emma just isn't use to being pampered and letting other people do work she could do. I don't think it's impulsive, rather just a habit but I don't think that'll interfer with her climbing the ladder. After all, "cleanlyness is next to godlyness".
Old 2005-12-24, 04:52   Link #19
wao
OK.

I'm really impressed that Emma won an Excellence Prize in the manga section of the Japanese Media Arts Festival this time! It's a fairly major award, I hope this means that Emma gets more support. I just hope that it doesn't drag on overmuch.
Old 2005-12-24, 16:13   Link #20
Mangaka-chan

Lol, so I wasn't the only person who noticed that Emma won an award in the 9th Japanese Media Arts Festival You're right though, and I think this just confirms what Emma fans already know, that Emma is a very good series!
Closed Thread

Tags
romance, seinen