AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2012-05-15, 16:49   Link #1281
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

On its defense the script itself is more than 10 years old, so it's important to consider it in context.

We were there before it was cool!

Quote:
I finally finished reading the currently translated novel, all I can say is that it conveys the mystery better. While it lacks the anime's frills and visuals, it better presents the clues that lets the reader/viewer come to his/her own conclusion. At least, it allows the reader to digest everything at his/her own pace. That is especially true in this case since the evidence in this case is a handful of historical texts that involve through reading and rereading.
As you mention this is a medium related issue than anything else. And you can always press the pause button. Not that anyone does
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 17:01   Link #1282
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
As you mention this is a medium related issue than anything else. And you can always press the pause button. Not that anyone does
The pause button is a luxury reserved for those who either stream or download, not to mention that it kinda throws off the momentum of the current scene.
Old 2012-05-15, 17:34   Link #1283
Korps!
Ikarechimattaze!

Quote:
And you can always press the pause button. Not that anyone does
At some point I was about to reach for it, then I realize that I simply didn't care about what they were talking about.
Korps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 18:50   Link #1284
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

It's conspicuous how often we're reminded of Chitanda's family's station in the community. Any fall from grace that her uncle experienced likely reflected badly on them, even back then, which may be why Oreki didn't pursue the mystery beyond putting together the pieces that the others had already brought forward. That is, of course, assuming he knows there's more to it, which he probably does. He doesn't leave loose threads like that.

Oreki, you dog, peeking into a girl's room.

Anyone else find it just a little disconcerting how we still have yet to see any of Chitanda's family, even though they just spent a whole episode at her house? I guess given the genre, it's not unusual for the parents to remain out of frame. Maybe it was just the overall uneasiness of the whole episode that made such a common trope seem odd.

I really enjoyed the scene with Satoshi on the bikes. I like him a lot, and want to see more of him. He seems to be more than just a foil for Oreki's dour nature, there's some depth there that deserves to be explored.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 20:18   Link #1285
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
It's conspicuous how often we're reminded of Chitanda's family's station in the community. Any fall from grace that her uncle experienced likely reflected badly on them, even back then, which may be why Oreki didn't pursue the mystery beyond putting together the pieces that the others had already brought forward.
I like that idea. It would explain why Chitanda's Uncle didn't want to talk about it all. It's not the expulsion, per se, that's the issue - but rather the fallout from it, which Oreki didn't really get into detail over.
Old 2012-05-15, 21:37   Link #1286
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Anyone else find it just a little disconcerting how we still have yet to see any of Chitanda's family, even though they just spent a whole episode at her house? I guess given the genre, it's not unusual for the parents to remain out of frame. Maybe it was just the overall uneasiness of the whole episode that made such a common trope seem odd.
Thanks, now I'm imagining Oreki accidentally stumbling into a sealed, odorous room and finding something he shouldn't have found, in the same way the protagonist of a certain other anime did.
Old 2012-05-16, 01:19   Link #1287
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

I guess I'm one of the few who still has problems seeing the value in this show. It looks fantastic, but I find none of the characters all that interesting and the same can be said about the mysteries.

I'll give it another episode or two to be sure, though, since there have been shows that took a while to become truly interesting later on, but I do hope this doesn't become another dud like Nichijou (though even Nichijou was more enjoyable overall than Hyouka seems to be).
Old 2012-05-16, 02:00   Link #1288
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
i think the title "You Can't Escape" does kinda make sense now......
Spoiler for THE HORROR:

sweet dreams guys.....
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 02:08   Link #1289
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

So hypnotoad is the new Lelouche geass eyes meme? lol

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 03:02   Link #1290
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpleng View Post
KyoAni attention to detail is superb.
Spoiler for stamp:

Scan from this http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-8147...ure-circa.html
'sup KyoAni fags. Me selling this
Spoiler for image:
linkinstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 03:02   Link #1291
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

I think and hope that Satoshi's comment about his lifestyle get expanded later on. I wonder if it's at least part of the reasons why he does not agree to go out with Mayaka. Considering that she's working as a librarian, I'm guessing that maybe he consider her as not "flashy" enough for him. But then it's begged for the question why he's Houtarou's best friend.

And that's gear-shifting scene! It's like they do it just because they can.

Source(where I found it): http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topici...73#msg14772985
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 03:09   Link #1292
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

After seeing Nichijou...I can believe that KyoAni will do something just because they can.
Old 2012-05-16, 03:14   Link #1293
rulfo

Yeah that gear shifting scene was sweet. It's my favorite cut this ep.

I wonder who did this... There are only a few people in KyoAni who could do mechs well. Wouldn't be surprised if this was done by Kitanohara.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 03:18   Link #1294
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Episode 4:

- I find Hotarou acceptable because though he is a negative person, he doesn't mope. Or at least he doesn't moan or writhe in pain while he mopes, nor does he take it out on other people. If Satorshi/Mayaka/Eru says something Hotarou doesn't like, he doesn't turn it back on them or find some little way to get back at them. The difference between passive and aggressive resistance in this context really made all the difference regarding my opinion on Hotarou.

- That said, I'd say aside from Eru, Hotarou is supposed to be the main "attraction" of the show, whether you like his negativity or not. The most obvious reason being the OP really had Hotarou taking up most of the screen-time, whereas had Kyoani gone for a more conventional approach they would be selling Eru for all her worth.

- I find the presence of the four characters to be pretty equal so far, unlike in say, Lucky Star where sometimes I thought, "wasn't there this pink haired glasses girl who's a main character as well?"

- The episode itself fared a lot better than I'd had thought possible. In the novel there was no moving around the Chitanda household, no rice balls, no Satoshi exuding his "fabulous-ness", no Mayaka being tsun. Just talking and more talking. I especially like the extra scene Kyoani added of Hotarou stumbling upon Eru's room en-route to the bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
If this whole Uncle arc ends next episode, I hope they have a good arc-based mystery to follow it up with.
I'd say they do. Kyoani has released back in April a promo image featuring the key players from the second volume of the Kotenbu novel series, The Credit Roll of the Fool:

Images
The Credit Roll of the Fool
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

If the promo suggests anything, it's that there will be more people involved instead of just the four of them, and the Kotenbu will be dealing with young, living people instead of old, dead(?) people. For this reason, I do suspect that the best of this show has yet to come.

EDIT: Oh, and does anyone know the meaning behind えるたそ (erutaso), which from what I can see is supposedly 2ch's nickname for Eru.

EDIT #2: Yay, subforum!
       /
      / \|
    /

Last edited by winhlp32; 2012-05-16 at 04:13.
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 04:14   Link #1295
hyl
reading #hikaributts

It's interesting that this is the only anime from this seson to have it's own sub forum at this moment.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 04:16   Link #1296
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
It's interesting that this is the only anime from this seson to have it's own sub forum at this moment.
Well, in addition to series that are continuing. And I should say that doesn't mean it's necessarily the last either, just that it seemed clear that (among other things) this thread is getting fractured and there are enough topics to discuss.

As a preventative measure, please remember to not complain about sub-forums in the threads. There's more information about our selection criteria here.
Old 2012-05-16, 04:30   Link #1297
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
I think and hope that Satoshi's comment about his lifestyle get expanded later on. I wonder if it's at least part of the reasons why he does not agree to go out with Mayaka. Considering that she's working as a librarian, I'm guessing that maybe he consider her as not "flashy" enough for him. But then it's begged for the question why he's Houtarou's best friend.
He's most likely oblivious to love, it's a common thing with most male in anime. Either that or he actually swings the other way if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Episode 4:
- The episode itself fared a lot better than I'd had thought possible. In the novel there was no moving around the Chitanda household, no rice balls, no Satoshi exuding his "fabulous-ness", no Mayaka being tsun. Just talking and more talking. I especially like the extra scene Kyoani added of Hotarou stumbling upon Eru's room en-route to the bathroom.
Glad to hear that Kyoani add their own touch into the series as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
I think it's partly due to Hyouka being a 2-cour series.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 04:30   Link #1298
HasuMasu
*Artist

Oh hey, congrats on the shiny new sub-forum.

Only one this season, too.
Old 2012-05-16, 04:54   Link #1299
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
He's most likely oblivious to love, it's a common thing with most male in anime. Either that or he actually swings the other way if you know what I mean.
I certainly know what you mean

Well, that aside, I think his case is different though. He is clearly aware of her feeling (maybe even be told out right before) so it's not the usual dense male. And they're not that awkward around each other either. Now I really want to know how the situation become like this.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 05:18   Link #1300
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Congrats on being the only current series with a sub forum this season hyouka.

The Hypnotoad is happy

Arturia Polaris

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, shounen, slice of life