AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-05-28, 08:12   Link #2101
Wigwams

the key has nothing to do with the hacking i think. the keys are 1 time use only. and its to register the game to an account. if the keys were stolen, it wont result to hacked account (as the guy wont be able to play D3 without his key in the first place). he would have to pay another $60 for a new key though.

battle.net account is created completely separate from the diablo 3 key. what ever games you buy, you input the game key to your battle.net account to be able to play that game.
Old 2012-05-28, 08:47   Link #2102
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Sup, my ticket was replied to and my account supposedly restored, but now my new thirteen digit password will no longer log me in. I sware this happened simultaneously with my account being restored. I was biding my time running around Tristram naked when I received an email notification. To my excitement, it was a reply from blizzard...To my dismay, I was disconnected from the game shortly after and unable to reconnect. And this time, password recovery doesn't even work anymore, so I'm unable to log back in. Period.

So frustrated...

Last edited by Demi.; 2012-05-28 at 09:20.
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 09:51   Link #2103
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Sup, my ticket was replied to and my account supposedly restored, but now my new thirteen digit password will no longer log me in. I sware this happened simultaneously with my account being restored. I was biding my time running around Tristram naked when I received an email notification. To my excitement, it was a reply from blizzard...To my dismay, I was disconnected from the game shortly after and unable to reconnect. And this time, password recovery doesn't even work anymore, so I'm unable to log back in. Period.

So frustrated...
Well worst case scenario, the hacker already got the news of your items restoration, and already log in to take all of your items....again...
Old 2012-05-28, 10:51   Link #2104
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Problem resolved...The person who answered my ticket and restored my account, apparently suspended it as well. Whether it was accidental or not...Called Blizzard up (Their expected 7minute wait time, ended up being a little over an hour) and they fixed the problem.
Old 2012-05-28, 11:50   Link #2105
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Personally what I don't understand is what is there to gain from hacking one's account. Of course the victim has plenty to lose, however how does one profit from it? You would essentially have to log in with another account and trade the items and I'm sure that's being logged so if any item transaction like that happens you have a nice breadcrum trail to the culprit.

It's all very pointless from my perspective. Sure you can have the account but what's the point of going though the person's stuff. I'd expect it, like most viruses etc, to sit in the background and do shady things when you're not looking for as long as it can. From what I've read nothing of tangible value was stolen.

If this mass hacking is true, then either (a) someone was extremely bored and pissed off at blizzard, (b) someone really really wants to keep the RMAH away, or (c) another company is doing it so blizzard loses face, and customers. Something like a corporate version of stuxnet... sabotage is certainly cheaper then advertising (if that's true though, everyone bitching is certainly what the hackers wanted). Of course I might be overthinking it; it usually is something very simple and stupid... like say a popular site lost one of it's backups and those backups had plaintext passwords in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Yun View Post
EDIT: Duo - Apparently passwords are valid whether you use capitals or not. Perhaps battle.net has a cipher which converts all characters to either upper or lower case.
I've never heard of such a stupid algorithm. They are converting your password to lowercase; probably too many idiots people contacting support to reset their passwords, when they were trying to type it in with capslock. There's no real other reason to do this otherwise.

Personally I find the account passwords extremely shamefully implemented. There is NO, and mean ZERO, reason your passwords needs to be 16 or whatever characters maximum. The only reason passwords were ever limited in length was for compatibility with decaying infrastructure... Basically when your passwords are limited it usually means they are storing your password on the database; same of when you get your password via email from a site or when they have recovery systems that send you the actual password instead of a random one.

I hope blizzard didn't hire a complete bunch of security retards, because something like that (storing actual passwords) is unacceptable these days.

Last edited by felix; 2012-05-28 at 12:04.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 12:24   Link #2106
jedinat

^ WoW accounts have been "hacked" for years and years. My WoW account was "stolen" twice I believe, once long after I stopped playing.

Diablo 3 uses the same log in info as all battle.net games. I assume people have been amassing account info long before release, waited a few days for people to amass wealth, and started stealing gold and items. Probably for selling gold and such on 3rd party site(s).
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 12:38   Link #2107
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Personally what I don't understand is what is there to gain from hacking one's account. Of course the victim has plenty to lose, however how does one profit from it? You would essentially have to log in with another account and trade the items and I'm sure that's being logged so if any item transaction like that happens you have a nice breadcrum trail to the culprit.
It's faster to acquire gold via compromised account instead of farming/trading for it for the gold sellers. Considering how long this practice have been going, it's safe to say, these guys are really good at it and making a lot of money doing it.
Old 2012-05-28, 13:45   Link #2108
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Yun View Post
I'm not buying into the "people have their Diablo 3 account compromised and WoW account stripped" story very much. If that were the case, we should have seen a similar outrage with Starcraft 2's launch, as WoW is also linked with SC2. I haven't heard any Starcraft 2 hacking stories, at least, not to the extent of this Diablo 3. It could be coincidence, but at the same time, it may not be. ~~
Just wanted to answer this part. What profit is there to be had in stealing your SC2 account? You don't trade anything in SC2. WoW and Diablo are targeted because there is tangible monetary gain to be had in stealing an account.

Cheers.
Old 2012-05-28, 13:50   Link #2109
Sides

Is there a list with animesuki players?
Spoiler for my battletag:

I play on the NA and EU servers. But I do get high latency on the NA server (160-1080ms) depending on time, so not really suitable for hardcore mode.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 14:11   Link #2110
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Some trivia from Blizzard.

Game Design Update.

Cheers.
Old 2012-05-28, 14:57   Link #2111
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Jazzrat has a list a few posts above in his sig.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 15:08   Link #2112
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

My chars are all in nightmare, and I play NA. If conditions suffice, here's my tag:

Spoiler:
Old 2012-05-28, 15:16   Link #2113
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Just wanted to answer this part. What profit is there to be had in stealing your SC2 account? You don't trade anything in SC2. WoW and Diablo are targeted because there is tangible monetary gain to be had in stealing an account.

Cheers.
What I was intending to say was, when SC2 came out, the accounts were linked with World of Warcraft. I didn't hear any increase in hacking accusations or WoW account compromises when SC2 came out, at least no where to the degree of this current situation. While I can't say I know everything, there seems to be a rather large difference between the two launches in this sense.
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 16:09   Link #2114
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Check Jazzrats signature, he has everyones Battletags.

About to move onto act 2 on inferno, taken me long enough
Old 2012-05-28, 16:32   Link #2115
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Just finished act1 inferno, glad I made it with 5 nephalem stacks, it was less than 2 minutes or so.

Some time ago I read that bosses on inferno had some kind of enrage timers. On some of my earlier butcher trys towards the end of the fight all of the floor tiles were ignited for at least 5 seconds leaving no way to survive. Was that the enrage or just bad luck?
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 16:35   Link #2116
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Just finished act1 inferno, glad I made it with 5 nephalem stacks, it was less than 2 minutes or so.

Some time ago I read that bosses on inferno had some kind of enrage timers. On some of my earlier butcher trys towards the end of the fight all of the floor tiles were ignited for at least 5 seconds leaving no way to survive. Was that the enrage or just bad luck?
Yeah it was.
Old 2012-05-28, 16:37   Link #2117
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Soft enrage: stay there long enough and the whole room is on fire.

Servers have been unstable for me (and many others) ever since launch. Error 3007 and disconnect after 15-20 minutes during prime time. I'm glad I can play during off hours at the moment.

I found a 800 DPS crossbow with no dex for 100k in the AH, so using that to farm some cash/gear in Inferno Act I for my DH before moving to get one-shotted by invisible nagas in Act II. Actually, Act I in Inferno is pretty entertaining at the moment. Late Acts don't really interest me until the... "spike damage" is adjusted.

Last edited by zarqu; 2012-05-28 at 16:58.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 17:08   Link #2118
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Spoiler:

Farming Inferno Act 1 for gold to gear myself up for Act 2.
Goal of 80% resist isn't hard for monks, but 80% from Armor is hella hard.

I don't really want to be forced to use that ranged attack for the armor boost, but I just may have to.

If I could just get a hand on a fist weapon with:
1000^ DPS
+20^% attack speed
+150^ VIT
+150^ DEX
+900^ life on hit
+1 socket (Radiant Star Amethyst for +600 life on hit)

I'll be good for life!

....I'll take two!
I'll sell my dead grandmother's soul to the Lord of Terror for two.
Old 2012-05-28, 17:45   Link #2119
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I started a hardcore Demon Hunter and decided to take a peer in the hc auction house.

Wait what? There's like 2 pages of this thing. lol@ 200k buyout.

Spoiler:

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 17:53   Link #2120
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

What is that...

Tags
arpg, blizzard, dungeon crawler