AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-11, 22:17   Link #3321
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
A poll would have been nice

Strongly atheist here. Unlikely to ever change (unless some actual proof about supernatural entities are actually uncovered, of course, but I think it's quite a bit unlikely).
The problem with a poll is that it pigeonholes a person. Many people I know (including me) cobble together their own "story of reality" that at least amuses them.

Myself... practically speaking - I'm an atheist in that the method of science leads my way. BUT I tend to practice the principles of Buddhism and I like describing the world in animist terms, specifically Shinto with occasional splurges of Celtic folk mythos.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 14:23   Link #3322
Revelation
lorem ipsum dolor sit ame
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CA, USA
Age: 22
Hopefully this is on-topic, but I just wanted to share my confusion on semantics and read more opinions; do you think that belief is binary, or is it more of a threshold (continuous)? To be more clear, I've seen a common argument that belief is an all or nothing game, binary, when debating against the validity of agnosticism, in that all people are either theists or atheists.

It's just that, as an agnostic, I can't hold that to be true when I look at reality. You can never be completely sure about anything. But when people argue that two conflicting beliefs are an impossible, illogical stance to make, I can't bring myself to find the words to express my disagreement, if that makes sense?
__________________
Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 14:55   Link #3323
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Shinto, with a strong Christian influence (my Korean grandparents being devout Catholics and all that).
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:00   Link #3324
Ridwan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
Culturally muslim agnostic nowadays, while parents belong to different denominations from each other (Papa Aegir is Shiite-Kejawenist while Mama Aegir is Orthodox Syafi'ite Sunni.)
__________________

Last edited by Ridwan; 2012-10-07 at 07:35.
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:42   Link #3325
Inverno
Fun for all, all for fun
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Somewhere in Europe
I was christian (like my whole family). Today i consider myself agnostic, and i'm proud of it!
__________________
Inverno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 19:09   Link #3326
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 28
Agnostic. Though I am abit of an outcast since my parents are Taoist-Buddhist mixed, my sis converted to corporate Christianity and my maternal side has a few Muslim relatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
Culturally muslim agnostic nowadays, while parents belong to different denominations from each other (Papa Aegir is Shiite-Kejawenist while Mama Aegir is Orthodox Syafiite Sunni.)
If Mideast is to go to war between the Sunni-Shiite factions, choose one.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 20:32   Link #3327
Ridwan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
South East Asia has been mainly connected to Hadhramaut and Hejaz, so we have no business with those Twelvers and Hanafites up north. Heck, we don't even know who they are
__________________
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 21:56   Link #3328
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 33
Agnostic Secular Humanist? I'm not terribly interested in the metaphysical or spiritual to begin with on a personal level, although I'm intensely curious about it from a demographic and third-party perspective. One of my best friends is buddhist and is a "qi gong" martial arts practitioner -- which I've always prodded him to explain to me in terms I could comprehend.

Parents are "kind of" Buddhist, particularly mum, although it's a weird Chinese Buddhism and she worships all these gods. Dad couldn't be bothered by spirituality at all.

Last edited by willx; 2012-10-06 at 22:16. Reason: Typo
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 22:12   Link #3329
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Agnostic Secular Humanist? I'm not terribly interested in the metaphysical or spiritual to begin with on a personal level, although I'm intensely curious about it from a demographic and third-party perspective. One of my best friends is buddhism and is a "qi gong" martial arts practitioner -- which I've always prodded him to explain to me in terms I could comprehend.

Parents are "kind of" Buddhist, particularly mum, although it's a weird Chinese Buddhism and she worships all these gods. Dad couldn't be bothered by spirituality at all.
I am more inclined to think that buddhism is a concept and a way of living rather than a religion, like Gandhism. The small little nuggets of wisdom are really fine answers to the nuances of erratic behaviour of others you meet everyday.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 22:14   Link #3330
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
If Mideast is to go to war between the Sunni-Shiite factions, choose one.
Where's Kira Yamato and co when you need it?
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 22:52   Link #3331
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Where's Kira Yamato and co when you need it?
well he have other religion to take care
__________________
*TL Note: Better than
Skype and Teamspeak

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 23:47   Link #3332
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
well he have other religion to take care
Iím afraid if Kira canít come and save the day, Setsuna (Soran Ibrahim) will come instead and simply blast both factions away with his Exia to eliminate the conflict.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 03:35   Link #3333
Ridwan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
Soran should've served the Ottoman Empire.
__________________
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 03:40   Link #3334
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 29
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Living with a faith, without stepping or harming other people would the best religion one could have.. unless.. you want to live with a faith that insist you in doing more harm to others than good....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 12:49   Link #3335
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Hopefully this is on-topic, but I just wanted to share my confusion on semantics and read more opinions; do you think that belief is binary, or is it more of a threshold (continuous)? To be more clear, I've seen a common argument that belief is an all or nothing game, binary, when debating against the validity of agnosticism, in that all people are either theists or atheists.

It's just that, as an agnostic, I can't hold that to be true when I look at reality. You can never be completely sure about anything. But when people argue that two conflicting beliefs are an impossible, illogical stance to make, I can't bring myself to find the words to express my disagreement, if that makes sense?
In a way, atheism is no different from other religions compared with agnosticism. Whether you believe in God or believe that there is no god, you're choosing to believe in something that isn't based on evidence. That is, there is no direct evidence that God exists, but there is also no direct evidence that God does not exist. No matter what anyone says, neither can directly be proven.

By comparison, agnosticism is unique. Agnosticism is open to the idea that God may exist, but it's also open to the idea that God may not exist.

People often try to polarize it one way or another. To a staunch atheist, if you have any inkling that God does exist, then you're a believer. To a staunch follower of some religion, if you sort-of-believe but don't wholeheartedly take the religious teachings to heart, then you're a non-believer.

I can see where the thinking of each comes from. It's a matter of having a set belief and then measuring up someone else's belief compared to yours; they either match your belief or they don't, and there's no gray zone. However, if you examine a person's belief on its own, then there certainly can be a "range of belief."
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 13:14   Link #3336
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 59
You go with the evidence you have and keep collecting more evidence. You modify your model as you go along.

If you aren't doing that then, you've sort of stopped thinking.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 14:44   Link #3337
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Age: 48
I don't believe there is a all powerful omnipresent-yet-invisible god or gods, however I do believe that there are beings in the universe that are far older and much more learned than our own kind, which to us, would look like gods.

Endless "Universe" Soul
__________________
VF-19 and VF-22S from Macross Plus
Signature by ganbaru
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 18:49   Link #3338
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
In a way, atheism is no different from other religions compared with agnosticism. Whether you believe in God or believe that there is no god, you're choosing to believe in something that isn't based on evidence. That is, there is no direct evidence that God exists, but there is also no direct evidence that God does not exist. No matter what anyone says, neither can directly be proven.
You know, there could be a Giant Swiss Cheese floating in the Atlantic Ocean, and I can't completely disprove that there is one, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to hem and haw about it. If someone were to tell me that this Cheese exists, I'm going to say "you're wrong, it doesn't". When someone shows me physical evidence of the Cheese, then I'll change my mind, but I'm not going to entertain that every absurd thing out there might exist.

If no evidence exists pertaining to something's existence, the automatic stance pretty much everyone takes is a negative. There's no reason that God should be given any special treatment. If I'm God Agnostic, I have to be Giant Cheese agnostic and everything else agnostic too.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 19:29   Link #3339
Qilin
Romanticist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
If no evidence exists pertaining to something's existence, the automatic stance pretty much everyone takes is a negative. There's no reason that God should be given any special treatment. If I'm God Agnostic, I have to be Giant Cheese agnostic and everything else agnostic too.
Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with acknowledging possibilities. For example, even if I say that fairies, flying pigs, or even a Giant Swiss Cheese crossing over the Atlantic might exist, the fact is that the chance remains astronomically low in the absence of evidence. Given such a low probability, there's really no reason to reject any claims outright since such claims are much too unlikely to influence any sort of change in thought. Take note that skepticism is a neutral position rather than a negative one, so indiscriminate rejection is no different from covering your ears to anything outside your own perspective.

Claims of "possibility" or "impossibility" can only be used relative to a particular framework. As such, insistence on claiming the impossibility of something is to claim the infallibility of a particular knowledge construct.
__________________
Damaged Goods
"Thereís an up higher than up, but at the very top, down is all there is."
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 22:09   Link #3340
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
You know, there could be a Giant Swiss Cheese floating in the Atlantic Ocean, and I can't completely disprove that there is one, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to hem and haw about it. If someone were to tell me that this Cheese exists, I'm going to say "you're wrong, it doesn't". When someone shows me physical evidence of the Cheese, then I'll change my mind, but I'm not going to entertain that every absurd thing out there might exist.

If no evidence exists pertaining to something's existence, the automatic stance pretty much everyone takes is a negative. There's no reason that God should be given any special treatment. If I'm God Agnostic, I have to be Giant Cheese agnostic and everything else agnostic too.
I don't think that's an agnostic approach. Agnostic literally means "(I) don't know", so the agnostic answer when told such a Cheese exist would be "could be, could be not. I don't know either way", since as you say, there is still a possibility of this existing (let's just say some huge rich idiot went through the trouble of making that cheese and threw it into the ocean just for gigs). By saying "you're wrong" then you commit to one end and performed a leap of faith because you will have to first sweep through the Atlantic Ocean to prove that there is indeed no cheese (and this one is doable compared to sweeping the whole universe(s?) to prove that there is a God).

You could say being agnostic is being half-assed since you don't commit to any side. But if you ask me, it is the only logical answer one can make to the question whether God exists with such a lack of evidence on either side. You may be able to rationalize why God is or isn't, but it ultimately won't mount to a definitive proof. In the end it's your own belief whether God exist or not.
We simply don't know, and I'd say we can't know.
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.