AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-21, 05:45   Link #1101
Qilin
Romanticist

Once again, this show wins me over with its down-to-earth portrayal of otherwise typical adolescent troubles. While Sawa might have been a bit insufferable, I could sympathize with her completely. I know what it feels like to have an awkward rift between yourself and your parents, and it doesn't feel at all nice. It's an unpleasant mixture of guilt and pride.

I really don't get why people are reacting so much to what Wakana bringing up her deceased mother. The way I saw that scene, she was only responding to Sawa's response to her advice. If anything, it was Sawa that was being insensitive in that situation (not that I'd blame her too much for it).

At this point, I can say that this show could have been better if it wasn't so ambitious. So far, we've had some pretty good, albeit scattered, arcs regarding the choir and that of two individual characters, but it lacks a strong focal point for the entire series to revolve around. As such, it fails to makes as strong an impression as it could have. What's more, I don't think there's much time left to explore the vice-principal's back story, which is unfortunate since she's fairly intriguing as the show's principal antagonist.

Well, there are still a few episodes left to tie up everything, but I don't think it's enough to properly explore all content they've brought up.
Old 2012-08-21, 06:17   Link #1102
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
What's more, I don't think there's much time left to explore the vice-principal's back story, which is unfortunate since she's fairly intriguing as the show's principal antagonist.
I think they have enough time.

The way I see it, they will dedicate the next two episodes to the boys, and the last three will focus on vice-principal + climax. Wakana's song will be the central piece of the climax and will probably play a major role in defrosting vice-principal.
Old 2012-08-21, 06:43   Link #1103
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Episode 8:

Spoiler:
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 07:04   Link #1104
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Spoiler for personnal experience:
Well, your point remarks the fact that Wakana's response was more to put Sawa back in her place more than giving an advice.
But, anyways it's not that I want to drag this thing too much.
I think that probably you (and all the other posters who replied to my first statement) are seeing things more from Wakana's perspective, I'm seeing them from Sawa's one.

in fact your whole point of the episode is
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
No Sawa can't,and it's not the end of the world,that's the whole point of the episode.I'm with gohan on this one if some deus ex machina happens and she gets accepted I'd have a tough time accepting it.
Mine is not that. For me the main point is that people not always are good in conveying their feelings or understanding other's (as Sawa is btw), his father has been always harsh to her, but in the end he really cared, her friends seemed to not care about her issues, but the phone singing (and relating it to his father phone call) showed how much they cared even not knowing how to handle her issues at all or not understanding her feelings at all. In the end that doesn't matter.

In the end I'm starting to think that Tari Tari is not a story about overcoming obstacles life puts on your way, but instead how handle it when you don't overcome them (or in the meanwhile). You probably will overcome them eventually, but right in the moment what matters is not that, what matters is rediscovering one more time that you have people that care for you. These are the obvious things (that are easy to be forgotten) you need to remember, or that you need to discover for the first time.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 12:01   Link #1105
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think it's pretty demeaning to say music is "just a hobby" to Wakana. I think it's something she loved but forced herself to give up because of the painful association with her mother.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 13:15   Link #1106
Sphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think it's pretty demeaning to say music is "just a hobby" to Wakana. I think it's something she loved but forced herself to give up because of the painful association with her mother.
When did she say this? At least, I know it's not during the balcony scene with Wakana. Even if she did though, Wakana did kinda act that way to begin with.

I don't blame Wakana, but I equally don't blame Sawa really. The context of their issues were pretty different. And the time constraint on Sawa was more significant. Taking a step back probably is the best thing, that doesn't mean it will be easy. And in Sawa's case, it seemed that taking time off would further crush her dreams. You can't just tell someone to get over something. Plus, like I said before, the poor girl just got bad news, give her some time.

I don't think Wakana bringing up her mom's passing was to impose a greater issue compared to Sawa's, but more to show Sawa that she has issues too that she takes in stride (well, maybe not in stride, but she deals with it, perhaps on a daily basis).

As for an outcome, I'm not entirely opposed to Sawa somehow getting into riding school. But it can't just be through 'desire or spirit' like typical shonen stuff. Challenge the rulebook by being way better than the norm at something. Actually show Sawa having to do more than the average student. Or something like that.

Or she might stay focused on horseback archery instead of being a jockey. She looks way more awesome with a bow in hand . At least that would flow better than her suddenly finding another dream.
Old 2012-08-21, 13:35   Link #1107
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

She didn't say it - one of the posters here said it.
Old 2012-08-21, 13:38   Link #1108
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphire View Post
When did she say this? At least, I know it's not during the balcony scene with Wakana. Even if she did though, Wakana did kinda act that way to begin with.

I don't blame Wakana, but I equally don't blame Sawa really. The context of their issues were pretty different. And the time constraint on Sawa was more significant. Taking a step back probably is the best thing, that doesn't mean it will be easy. And in Sawa's case, it seemed that taking time off would further crush her dreams. You can't just tell someone to get over something. Plus, like I said before, the poor girl just got bad news, give her some time.
I agree that her father's approach of "I told you so! Get over it now!" was totally wrong. But I don't think that's what Wakana was going for. And while it didn't make Sawa instantly better (nothing could do that), it did get her thinking a bit, which was important.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 13:45   Link #1109
Bombo
TSF Fans

Seriously what should I say for episode 8 ?
Sawa and her father?
Wakana and hilarious team "Wien & Tanaka "?

I love it .... It's really touched scene after listening to her father begging them to accept her without she know
...Father and daughter personality same ...Stubborn without telling their true feeling hahahaa .

Wien with emergency button...I couldn't stop laugh for this scene + wakana with her phone calling V.P .

This team really crazy and my score for this episode 10/10.

Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 16:53   Link #1110
Sphire

Quote:
She didn't say it - one of the posters here said it.
Ah, my bad.
Old 2012-08-21, 17:39   Link #1111
Blonto

Quote:
The way they approach music/horseback riding is definitively different. Music has solely personal meaning to Wakana. She said it herself: She'd give it up in a heartbeat if she could meet her mom again. To her music is a gateway to a part of her past.
Sawa on the other hand is willing to put in blood and sweat to improve and gain others' approval as a professional, and to prove her competence through competition. That's what separates people who do things as a hobby and those who want to do them as professionals. It doesn't mean one is more worthy than the other (that depends only on whether the choice helps the person reach happiness) but it does make Sawa's goal much harder to achieve, because being acknowledged as a professional is not the same as finding personal satisfaction in what you do. Wakana is completely content keeping music on the level of a hobby, but Sawa wants to take a step further, go to school and completely devote herself to what she does.
And speaking of what Wakana said to Sawa, yes, she was being kinda insensitive, even if her intentions were good. Sawa's been working to become a jockey for as long as she can remember and now Wakana tells her she should think if those feelings are genuine and basically consider joining the group of people who have no idea what they want with their life. I could understand if Sawa lacked talent, but the only reason she can't achieve her dream is because of something that's not her fault and that she has no way of changing. Wakana may have accepted the loss her mother, but Sawa didn't fail anything, she didn't become an invalid. She's, from what I gathered, fairly good at riding, but she isn't even given a chance to prove herself due to her weight. Weight requirements or not, that's enough to make anyone bitter.

I'm not taking sides on an issue such as this, but I think it's unfair saying Sawa should just "get over" losing something she's been trying to achieve for so long. There are people who grow out of what they want to do and find something else that suits them, but there are also those who take on "safe" jobs and end up forever hating them. It depends solely on the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
Well, now I just hope that Sawa's problem doesn't get "magically" fixed by her dad's threatening call to the riding school.
I want Sawa to understand that her body isn't built to be a jockey and that there are many other jobs that she can do with horses.
I don't want this show to fall into the standard shounen anime cliche that hard work and determination can overcome any obstacle.
While I agree a deus ex machina change of heart from school would be a bad idea, it would be just as unrealistic if she simply accepted her situation as if she didn't lose anything of importance. Or rather, it would make it seem like she was never serious about her dream in the first place.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 17:41   Link #1112
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I hardly think Wakana saying she'd give up music if it meant she could see her dead mother again is any sort of admission she doesn't love it. It's a testament to how much she loved her mother. I would think less of anyone who didn't feel that way.
Old 2012-08-21, 17:52   Link #1113
Blonto

My point isn't that Wakana doesn't love music, but that due to her emotional satisfaction with music she can't see it as a profession in a way Sawa sees riding. As such she can't quite understand what's at stake for her.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 18:00   Link #1114
Dawnstorm

@Wakana advice scene:

Interesting discussion. Summary: I'm mostly with Kazu-kun, feel Triple R focusses more on the philosophy than on the relationship side (so I'm unsure whether I agree or not), am somewhat with Sphire, and am still trying to puzzle out some of the details in Arya's post. Here's my take:

Wakana's advice is to step back and get a better perspective. Sawa doesn't understand why everyone recommends she do that (as she says later). She's frustrated and this is one piece of advice she doesn't want to hear. She sees Wakana still making music, but she can't go to Jockey school and won't be a jockey. So what's this advice about?

Now, shift over to Wakana's point of view: Wakana is shocked by the accusation, but recovers quickly, as she understands what Sawa is going through (and she alse understands that Sawa will need time). Remember how she gave up on music and gave away her mother's piano, because "her dream is impossible"? Music has always been intricately connected with her relationship to her mother (they even quarrelled about their attitudes towards life via music). So what Wakana sees is Sawa being in danger of giving up too much because Jockey-school won't accept her. The advice to stand back and get a new perspective is exactly that: you can't go to Jockey school, but you can still ride horses. Take a step back, Sawa, and look at why you actually wanted to be a Jockey. Can you fulfill your dream in some other way? Aren't you perhaps a bit to obsessed with the school, in the same way I was obsessed with straightening things out with Mum? There are some things that are impossible, but there are others that are not. Wakana is now finishing the song without her mother, and she's relatively fine with this. She regretted getting rid of that piano, and the dolphin, remember? Sawa is in danger or making a similar mistake by placing too much importance on the school. Step back, re-evaluate, adjust. So Wakana relativises what music means to her.

Back to Sawa. She understands that she's been thinking too narrowly about the situation, and that what she said may have been unfair, but she's not quite sure what to make of it when it comes to herself. The exchange set her thinking about stepping back once again, and why everyone recommends it. Basically, she's making the first steps towards recovery. Taking the horse to arrive at the audition in time is an important step for her. It means that she's still riding, even if she's going to a music audition.

So, basically, yes, when there are things you can't change you need to adjust.

Tari Tari is one of the best shows I've ever seen when it comes to parents, I think.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 20:03   Link #1115
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFarGone View Post
eh if this episode is suppose to be a conclusion of Sawa's arc then its pretty weak. Also this episode in my mind confirms there won't be any romance in this show at least not with Sawa/Tanaka.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yeah, at this point, even I have to admit that romance in this show is extremely unlikely. Even the subtler one-on-one moments haven't been there for awhile now (i.e. moments between Wakana and Wien, or moments between Sawa and Tanaka).

You might see some hints of romance occurring in the post-anime future for these characters (i.e. you might get some cute scenes between various pairs of characters in the last episode), but I don't think there's enough time left to get a serious romance off the ground and fully develop it within the anime itself.
No romance!? Heck yeah, I'm all for that. For once, I'm glad there's a show that doesn't go into the typical highschool romance cliche. I've been enjoying the real world and down to earth themes about a group of friends and their friendship they have with each other. I, for one, don't won't it to be ruined by romance, because I believe it's perfectly fine the way it is.

Spoiler:
Old 2012-08-21, 22:03   Link #1116
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

I guess no one got a problem with Sawa riding a horse throw town and leaving it at the school bike area
Old 2012-08-21, 23:53   Link #1117
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
I guess no one got a problem with Sawa riding a horse throw town and leaving it at the school bike area
I'm concerned about that.... imagine if it's happening in real life
luckily they don't live in a big city

regarding romance, yeah! I think there will be no romance in this anime
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 03:28   Link #1118
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

More freebies! Enjoy!
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-08-22, 04:45   Link #1119
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
While I agree a deus ex machina change of heart from school would be a bad idea, it would be just as unrealistic if she simply accepted her situation as if she didn't lose anything of importance. Or rather, it would make it seem like she was never serious about her dream in the first place.
My problem with this whole situation is that weight requirements for jockeys aren't exactly a national secret... Sawa should have known already that she is overweight for the job.
The fact that just now she started worrying about her weight reeks of forced drama.
Thus I agree with Wakana's suggestion to "take a step back" and see things from a wider perspective. Sawa can never be a jockey (unless she goes through a destructive diet) but she can still work with horses if so she wants.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 05:04   Link #1120
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Dreams are great things to have, but they are tempered with reality.
I'm sure PA Works wants moar True Tears...

It was a good episode for the most part. Some of it felt kinda corny (quick recovery from cliffhanger injury!), but it was so heartwarming and adorable that showed the integrity of their group that I ignored these minor details.

Also lol@ horse to school.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, music, original anime, pa works