AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-26, 20:57   Link #1821
Ultimadrago

DVD Box for Nichijou "Director's Cut" (the NHK 12 eps cut) available on AmiAmi now.

Though I don't think it has subs.
Ultimadrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 08:16   Link #1822
brocko

lol so they're selling the trimmed down version after all. Yup, double dipping

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 19:04   Link #1823
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimadrago View Post
DVD Box for Nichijou "Director's Cut" (the NHK 12 eps cut) available on AmiAmi now.

Though I don't think it has subs.
Available via all exporting retailers as well.

The official solicitation went up on Saturday.The box will be newly drawn and include postcards drawn by Keiichi Arawi, Mariko Honda (Yuuko), and Shizuka Furuya (Nano) (images of the postcards are on the official solicitation) as well as a color booklet. The first three DVDs will each have 4 episodes and the final DVD will have the 40 minute long bonus footage to find out who is the real protagonist of Nichijou entitled The Ultimate Battle against Yuuko!!. The extra was produced by Keiichi Arawi himself. The main feature DVDs will be in one toll case while the bonus DVD will be in another toll case with a box around them.

I made a blog post last week detailing the segments in each of the E-NHK versions if anyone's curious what pieces made it to the "Director's Cut" version.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 19:11   Link #1824
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I wished this was licensed...
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 07:57   Link #1825
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Just another heads up for those waiting for any news on the Australian release, Madman have announced that it is likely to be released sometime next year (if I've read the information correctly, they were waiting on a dub that is likely never to materialise since there hasn't been any licence announcements in the states).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 08:28   Link #1826
Ultimadrago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Available via all exporting retailers as well.

The official solicitation went up on Saturday.The box will be newly drawn and include postcards drawn by Keiichi Arawi, Mariko Honda (Yuuko), and Shizuka Furuya (Nano) (images of the postcards are on the official solicitation) as well as a color booklet. The first three DVDs will each have 4 episodes and the final DVD will have the 40 minute long bonus footage to find out who is the real protagonist of Nichijou entitled The Ultimate Battle against Yuuko!!. The extra was produced by Keiichi Arawi himself. The main feature DVDs will be in one toll case while the bonus DVD will be in another toll case with a box around them.

I made a blog post last week detailing the segments in each of the E-NHK versions if anyone's curious what pieces made it to the "Director's Cut" version.
Thanks, this is helpful.
I've been wondering what stayed and what went in the edited version!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Just another heads up for those waiting for any news on the Australian release, Madman have announced that it is likely to be released sometime next year (if I've read the information correctly, they were waiting on a dub that is likely never to materialise since there hasn't been any licence announcements in the states).
I'm waiting.

Did they say this recently? Because I remember them saying a few months back that they were waiting to see if a dub would arise. Does this mean they're still waiting?

Last edited by Ultimadrago; 2012-09-03 at 08:39.
Old 2012-09-04, 07:49   Link #1827
demonix

Quote:
Did they say this recently? Because I remember them saying a few months back that they were waiting to see if a dub would arise. Does this mean they're still waiting?
The release information came out recently, but it was likely that they were still waiting on a dub after a rumour was spread a few months ago that the series had been licensed with no actual announcement coming.
Old 2012-09-05, 22:14   Link #1828
Ultimadrago

Quote:
The release information came out recently, but it was likely that they were still waiting on a dub after a rumour was spread a few months ago that the series had been licensed with no actual announcement coming.
Okay, thanks.

I dug up a post on their official Facebook responding to someone asking about it. They said it'd most likely get a release sometime within the next 12 months. The comment was posted sometime this year.

Additionally, I keep seeing "DVD" being thrown from fans and Madman alike when regarding the series release on their Facebook. I guess that means a Blu-Ray release is out of the question?
Old 2012-09-05, 22:23   Link #1829
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Additionally, I keep seeing "DVD" being thrown from fans and Madman alike when regarding the series release on their Facebook. I guess that means a Blu-Ray release is out of the question?
If it gets a dub via the NA companies, the chances of it being released on BD in NA (and likely AU) increases dramatically. The three companies who dub anime (Funi, Sentai, and Viz) tend to release BDs. Viz is highly unlikely to license it due to past license trends.

Funi had a good relationship with Kadokawa, but scheduling two high profile Kadokawa titles in the month of/month before big JP releases could have easily soured that relationship. If they have it, it will be dubbed, but who knows if it'll have a BD due to those incidents and the JP release of the DVD-box.

Sentai has licensed Another and the PR claimed a BD release. Sentai also likes to announce titles via solicitations (like Penguin Drum recently), so it's not unexpected they could announce it for release early next year. If Sentai dubs it, it will be on BD as per their policy.

If none of those three have it, it'll be likely a sub-only DVD release from Madman due to dubbing costs/BD authoring costs.

Old 2012-09-05, 23:02   Link #1830
Ultimadrago

I see.

The clarification is appreciated.

I'm not very confident in one of the bigger companies picking it up. However, I'll most definitely take DVDs over nothing.
Old 2012-09-06, 06:57   Link #1831
demonix

Quote:
The three companies who dub anime (Funi, Sentai, and Viz) tend to release BDs. Viz is highly unlikely to license it due to past license trends.
But Sentai also does DVD only releases for series they release without dubs, so if they did license it and they didn't think a dub would be economically viable then it would still be a DVD only release.
Old 2012-09-06, 16:09   Link #1832
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
But Sentai also does DVD only releases for series they release without dubs, so if they did license it and they didn't think a dub would be economically viable then it would still be a DVD only release.
Agreed. I have never claimed differently.

But there's something strange about this AU release. Let us look at Gosick. Gosick was licensed by Madman at the same time and it was stated in January:
Quote:
Madman added that any titles it licensed with Bandai Entertainment will not be affected, although it added that the DVD releases of Gosick and Nichijou will probably be subtitle-only releases
Interestingly, Madman has already released Gosick on two (1/2) sub-only DVD collections.

The question we are focusing on is: why would a title licensed at the same time (and finishing initial release in Japan at approximately the same time (3 mo. difference)) be pushed back to a release possibly as late as August/September 2013 if it were not for a NA-related dub? At Anime Expo in late June/early July, I was present when a NISA representative said that someone has licensed Nichijou in NA after Bandai relinquished their license of it. With Madman waiting to release their own version, it is probable that whoever has the NA license plans to dub it and Madman will use it on their release. If they were not waiting for a dub, they could have already released Nichijou with their own subs on a DVD-only release as Sentai would if they had no dubbing plans.

Old 2012-09-06, 16:54   Link #1833
Ultimadrago

Quote:
At Anime Expo in late June/early July, I was present when a NISA representative said that someone has licensed Nichijou in NA after Bandai relinquished their license of it. With Madman waiting to release their own version, it is probable that whoever has the NA license plans to dub it and Madman will use it on their release. If they were not waiting for a dub, they could have already released Nichijou with their own subs on a DVD-only release as Sentai would if they had no dubbing plans.
This news makes me a tad giddy!
Of course, it's probably best I put myself in check.

Last edited by Ultimadrago; 2012-09-06 at 18:38. Reason: Removing image
Old 2012-09-26, 19:09   Link #1834
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

E-tele DVD-Box cover art:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Old 2012-09-26, 22:08   Link #1835
Ultimadrago

Quote:
E-tele DVD-Box cover art:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I like it!

However, I could do without the "DVD-BOX" banner slapped across. I guess they had to put it somewhere!
Old 2012-09-27, 11:19   Link #1836
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
I like it!

However, I could do without the "DVD-BOX" banner slapped across. I guess they had to put it somewhere!
the clean version is here if you want it.
Old 2012-09-27, 21:38   Link #1837
Ultimadrago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
the clean version is here if you want it.
Hah, I meant on the actual box, but I'll save it. Thanks. I can never have enough Nichi pictures.
Old 2012-10-22, 14:24   Link #1838
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
I saw this shit today
the first three episode and it was good
and yeah , it's reminds me azumanga

It's the same author or kyoani stole the idea from that anime ?
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 11:55   Link #1839
Ultimadrago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenneth4 View Post
I saw this shit today
the first three episode and it was good
and yeah , it's reminds me azumanga

It's the same author or kyoani stole the idea from that anime ?
They weren't created by the same mangaka, Nichijou is orginally from Keiichi Arawi while Azumanga Daioh is from Kiyohiko Azuma.

KyoAni was only responsible for adapting the manga for animation, so they aren't responsible for the general ideas behind the source material.

I see the Azumanga comparison made numerous times, but I only see the connection on a few fronts. The archetypes of the main cast (Yuuko - Tomo (Genki) , Mio - Koyomi (Straight man) and Mai - Sakaki (Person of few words, but good at everything), not only are some of these common overall, but they have enough traits to set each other apart. Finally, there's the slight of having a format based around common "Slice-of-Life" elements while using surreal/anti-humor comedy.

In other words, I see a few similarities, but I doubt Arawi actively "nabbed" Azuma's idea. I haven't been able to scavenge any interviews with him either, unfortunately, therefore I can't say whether it's even an inspiration.

Last edited by Ultimadrago; 2012-10-23 at 12:17.
Old 2012-10-23, 19:50   Link #1840
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
But you agree , Nichijou is very close to azumanga
I would not be surprised if Keiichi read the manga before creating his own

It's kinda like evangelion and Raxhephon
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen, slice of life