AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 10
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 114 53.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 48 22.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 26 12.15%
7 out of 10 : Good... 10 4.67%
6 out of 10 : Average... 7 3.27%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 3 1.40%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.47%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 4 1.87%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-09, 03:13   Link #221
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
Just to add on to that, he's finally found something he really wants to protect again. In some ways, he has been able to semi-move over the Sachi hurdle, not entirely, but she's the light that he's been looking for. He's tired of playing solo, really.

I mean the whole solo business - wearing dark clothes, the "night" symbolical meanings, with Asuna being sort of the counterpart to that, nice, bright, outgoing. Really liked the bedroom scene when Kirito was telling the story about Sachi, and how the light from outside sort of shined on Asuna as she grabbed him and turned him around.
Well said. I think that it can sometimes be a bit hard to get a clean read on Kirito because there's rarely any internal monologuing that explains what he's thinking. You basically have to go on subtle visual cues both in the character gestures, and in the anime itself. (Audio cues are pretty good as well.) I think one of the key things they've been trying to communicate over these past few episodes is just how much the situation with Sachi has weighed on his consciousness, particularly as recent events have jogged that memory to the surface.

What Asuna said to Kirito in that scene was very significant. We recall Kirito giving his reassurances to Sachi that she wouldn't die, and that weighs heavily on his mind given how that turned out. He generally flies solo because he thinks deep down that he's not the sort of person who can protect anyone any more. But here she reassures him that she's not going to die, because she's going to protect him. In that scene, when Asuna hugs him, they show Kirito's hand reaching out towards her, but pulling back. Later on in the anime, after they save each other's lives with Kuradeel, the same gesture comes back again, with Asuna reaching out to Kirito but pulling back out of guilt for getting him involved in this whole situation that nearly got him killed. This helps explain what Kirito was thinking before when he couldn't reach out for Asuna -- still mired in guilt by what happened in the past, not sure if he deserves to be protected by her. That's why, even when he went for the kiss, all he could do was give his life for her sake.

I think it's not just that he's found something he wants to protect again, but I think he realizes that he's really not strong enough to go it alone any more. He fell in love with Asuna not because she's someone who needs protecting, but because they can protect each other -- they're stronger together than apart. Even though he's strong in some ways, he also realizes he's terribly weak -- and where he is weak, she is strong, and vice-versa. (Like last episode where, while he was mired in his trauma and unable to move, Asuna was able to do to the right thing and take that first leap forward to save the Army guildsmen. And here, where Asuna was momentarily blinded by compassion even for a murderer, Kirito was able to make the move and deal the finishing blow when she hesitated.) So I think being alone is no longer really an option for either of them any more, and I think that's what this episode was trying to convey.
Old 2012-09-09, 04:10   Link #222
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well said. I think that it can sometimes be a bit hard to get a clean read on Kirito because there's rarely any internal monologuing that explains what he's thinking. You basically have to go on subtle visual cues both in the character gestures, and in the anime itself. (Audio cues are pretty good as well.) I think one of the key things they've been trying to communicate over these past few episodes is just how much the situation with Sachi has weighed on his consciousness, particularly as recent events have jogged that memory to the surface.

What Asuna said to Kirito in that scene was very significant. We recall Kirito giving his reassurances to Sachi that she wouldn't die, and that weighs heavily on his mind given how that turned out. He generally flies solo because he thinks deep down that he's not the sort of person who can protect anyone any more. But here she reassures him that she's not going to die, because she's going to protect him. In that scene, when Asuna hugs him, they show Kirito's hand reaching out towards her, but pulling back. Later on in the anime, after they save each other's lives with Kuradeel, the same gesture comes back again, with Asuna reaching out to Kirito but pulling back out of guilt for getting him involved in this whole situation that nearly got him killed. This helps explain what Kirito was thinking before when he couldn't reach out for Asuna -- still mired in guilt by what happened in the past, not sure if he deserves to be protected by her. That's why, even when he went for the kiss, all he could do was give his life for her sake.

I think it's not just that he's found something he wants to protect again, but I think he realizes that he's really not strong enough to go it alone any more. He fell in love with Asuna not because she's someone who needs protecting, but because they can protect each other -- they're stronger together than apart. Even though he's strong in some ways, he also realizes he's terribly weak -- and where he is weak, she is strong, and vice-versa. (Like last episode where, while he was mired in his trauma and unable to move, Asuna was able to do to the right thing and take that first leap forward to save the Army guildsmen. And here, where Asuna was momentarily blinded by compassion even for a murderer, Kirito was able to make the move and deal the finishing blow when she hesitated.) So I think being alone is no longer really an option for either of them any more, and I think that's what this episode was trying to convey.
Thank you for putting into words everything I was hoping to say. ^This, this is the post that summarizes everything really. Wholeheartedly agree .

And yes, whether it be the audio, or visual cues, I feel like they have done a really good job so far. Never read the novels, nor do I intend to in the near term, but it's been a fun/great ride so far.

Symbolism/deep analysis aside, I do wonder how that clan leader was able to just move his shield like that instantaneously...
Old 2012-09-09, 04:35   Link #223
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Re: Going into happy relationship stuff right after killing a man.

I'd like to see it more like they went into happy relationship stuff because the thing was so traumatizing.

This stuff happens a lot. In life. Real life.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 04:38   Link #224
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Re: Going into happy relationship stuff right after killing a man.

I'd like to see it more like they went into happy relationship stuff because the thing was so traumatizing.

This stuff happens a lot. In life. Real life.
It's like saying that they need that to forget all that trauma inside heir hearts...

Not bad actually... since this acted as a push to their new found relationship...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 04:53   Link #225
halibonga

kirito has acquired a new skill! :

[Name] : Summon Wife
[Duration] : Permanent
[Description] : Calls Asuna to his aside, asuna will fight alongside him, also increasing his morale, stamina and agility when she is nearby.
halibonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 04:59   Link #226
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

Quote:
Originally Posted by eplipswich View Post
One thing I don't get...Why didn't Kirito get naked!!??
Because he really is a fetishist with black and also, unlike Asuna who uses underwear with a +1 against Poison, maybe is the only clothes he owns? And it's cold? So he gets up, because of the bad dreams, goes and makes himself a sandwich with Asuna's special sauce (and of course, no sandwich for Asuna) then comes back and waits that she wakes up meanwhile eating his sandwich.

Or maybe because the anime didn't want to go "there" and show a lot of naked avatars.

Speculation on my part.
Old 2012-09-09, 05:04   Link #227
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnOfEridu View Post

Or maybe because the anime didn't want to go "there" and show a lot of naked avatars.
This LOLs.. but probably a +
Old 2012-09-09, 05:06   Link #228
sudolicious
Otoshi-gami in training

Was the thing about his hand just growing back explained more detailed in the LN? Cause it felt really weird in the anime, I considered the whole scene very dramatic and emotional at first, but it seemed really trivial afterwards.

Nice episode overall, glad to see some great development on Asuna/Kirito. Hopefully the next few episodes will be a bit about how they live together.
Old 2012-09-09, 05:10   Link #229
PewPewK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudolicious View Post
Was the thing about his hand just growing back explained more detailed in the LN? Cause it felt really weird in the anime, I considered the whole scene very dramatic and emotional at first, but it seemed really trivial afterwards.

Nice episode overall, glad to see some great development on Asuna/Kirito. Hopefully the next few episodes will be a bit about how they live together.
Spoiler for Maybe Book Spoiler?:
PewPewK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 05:12   Link #230
F0X

sigh, kirito & asuna kissed for the first time, (apparently) had sex and then decided to get married all in one night. not only that, but kirito just committed one of the most selfish acts you can, taking another person's life, and is just totally stoic about it.

lame episode, cute couple tho ~
F0X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 05:15   Link #231
Green²
It's bacon!

Heathcliff just can't seem to catch a break being that he now had a PKer in his guild. The episode seemed too short though as it is not known if of what had happened will be made public, or if some kind of cover-up will be put in place to protect the guild's reputation, or even if the guild is aware of the incident at all. What we're left with here is a transition to a more romantic setting, which leaves us to believe that Asuna & Kirito is where the next episode would pick up at, to no mention of the PKer incident. It just seemed that the loss of the two guild members had been completely forgotten. Or have Asuna & Kirito decided to run away together from the guild, thus the mile long distance here?

Fun episode, no question of that. Much left unanswered with no direction. At best at the moment, Kirito should be orange status now, but not clear if they'll go anywhere with that.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 05:18   Link #232
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0X View Post
sigh, kirito & asuna kissed for the first time, (apparently) had sex and then decided to get married all in one night. not only that, but kirito just committed one of the most selfish acts you can, taking another person's life, and is just totally stoic about it.

lame episode, cute couple tho ~
Murdered Godfrey, tortured Kirito and attempted to murder Asuna.

After all that dickhead did, I would be pretty stoic about sending him to the abyss as well.
GoddyofAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 05:18   Link #233
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0X View Post
That ain't selfish... Kuradeel's a murderer and would have added Asuna in his death list.... It's more of "I have no other choice" thing....

Saving one's life.. especially you're love ones ain't selfishness nor tainted by it... its more of bravery and courage...
Old 2012-09-09, 05:27   Link #234
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
How can I apply to get my Saturday back? Even after I left the house I was constantly moderating posts in the thread (as much as you can do on a smartphone). I don't even know anymore... *sigh*
Wow, normally I skip the first 3 pages of these episode topics since the meat of the discussion seems to take a while to start up, but wow that's an amazing number of post deletions.

Seems like instead of the "Weekly Episode-to-Novel Comparison Discussion Thread" there should have just been 2 threads for each episode, one for anime only and one for novel people, but we're probably way past the point of considering that anymore anyway.

Anyhow, thought the episode was alright, can't say it's been my favourite episode so far, but it moves the story forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudolicious View Post
Spoiler for Novel Explanation:
Old 2012-09-09, 05:34   Link #235
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

A lot of people complain that there is A LOT of stuff that hasn't been adress in this episode. So much that maybe you would need 3 more episodes to address. I mean, how can you express the guild politics after the Kuradeel incidents, and Kiritos after reaction, and the romance, and the proposal, and... You get it, don't you? They had to choose what to focus and what to leave for another episode. That or make a "montage" with all the info. You can complain about what they choose to focus on, but so far, you don't know if they really ignored it.

This remembers me an ep of Eureka Seven. It has a similar premise, and Renton was suffering for a long time, in and out. Somedays he ignored it, and BAM, comes to him. I guess they are doing the same to Kirito.

What i was wondering is the boss in ep 9 was in floor 74 or 76? I can't remember (and don't have the episode at hand) but if it was 74 how come the arena is in 75? (OTH, if it was 76 it's possible)
Old 2012-09-09, 05:35   Link #236
Kafriel
Senior Guest

The fault lies with Heathcliff for recruiting a criminal in the first place. For a guild leader, he should have done some research beforehand...now, he's 2 men short, has to deal with every other guild dissing his KoB AND needs to start tracking down two deserters, who just so happen to be his strongest guildies. If only he hadn't challenged Kirito, things would have been normal and Asuna would eventually return after her party with Kirito...Karma's a bitch, amirite?

Really confused about some things though.

- Kirito got paralyzed, but his HP was dropping at a percentile rate, heavy poison style.
- His hand shattered, as if each body part has durability. I thought HP was there to represent that.
- After losing his hand, he went into a bleeding condition, which depleted his HP even faster than the paralysis...and yet he had the freedom to kiss and talk it out with Asuna as if he could survive much longer.Wat.
- He killed Kradeel DBZ style, hand through the chest :O Where did he get the time to train three different fighting styles!?
- Did the pain inhibitors break down when Kayaba hacked the game? Both Kirito and his recently deceased guildie seemed to be in a lot pain and the only time we saw otherwise was on the very first boar hunt of Kirito&Klein.

At least Kirito going off to his resort with his fiancee (who didn't get an engagement ring, cheapskate Kirito xD) is reasonable, they'll take a break for a few months and go back to clearing the game sometime later :P
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 05:38   Link #237
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

If they beat the boss of floor 74, they would be on floor 75 now, so the arena being there isn't THAT strange.
Old 2012-09-09, 05:40   Link #238
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
- Kirito got paralyzed, but his HP was dropping at a percentile rate, heavy poison style.
Actually, if i remember correctly, no. He was just paralyzed, Kuradeel still had to came to kill him.

Quote:
At least Kirito going off to his resort with his fiancee (who didn't get an engagement ring, cheapskate Kirito xD) is reasonable, they'll take a break for a few months and go back to clearing the game sometime later :P
I'm guessing he used the ring he got from as a last hit drop from the boss last ep? I'm not sure if was a ring, but since it has been shown, i can speculate, right? A ring of +10 of stamina and instant teleport of your partner. That would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
If they beat the boss of floor 74, they would be on floor 75 now, so the arena being there isn't THAT strange.
What i mean is, they can populate a floor that fast? I should check the dates, but according to the calendar the boss was killed just a few days before the whole duel whatever. Maybe they can, but it still seems a little soon.
Old 2012-09-09, 05:41   Link #239
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
- He killed Kradeel DBZ style, hand through the chest :O Where did he get the time to train three different fighting styles!?
2 years? I mean, that's not hard to answer.
Old 2012-09-09, 05:45   Link #240
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

I'm rather surprised to see not few belittles life ("X deserved it because of Y"?). Well, not really, I actually expected that as a normal reaction for a lot of people. There's a reason the death penalty exists I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
That ain't selfish... Kuradeel's a murderer and would have added Asuna in his death list.... It's more of "I have no other choice" thing....

Saving one's life.. especially you're love ones ain't selfishness nor tainted by it... its more of bravery and courage...
There's the argument that ultimately even "saving the ones you love" is also selfish in the sense that we're ultimately doing it for our own benefit. Rather than denying the nature of it, I'm more inclined to accept it as selfish and the consequences that came along with it.
----

But hey, if no one's up to it let's not discuss anything too heavy now since I don't really want to disrupt the KiriAsu shipping mood for everyone.