AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-04, 23:16   Link #21
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
I don't think it was gratitude, but more like a condition Mori Summer put.
And why would Nibutani care what Rikka calls her little club?
Old 2012-11-04, 23:21   Link #22
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

The same reason she chose to stay in the club, she actually enjoys the whole thing... deep down.

Arty

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Old 2012-11-04, 23:44   Link #23
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
The same reason she chose to stay in the club, she actually enjoys the whole thing... deep down.

Arty
But that's not the same as being concern about what to call the club; are you saying (for argument sake) that had Rikka not add that one word in the name Nibutani wouldn't have joined them ? Or at least would have made a fuss about it?
Old 2012-11-10, 01:25   Link #24
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I think the club name was gratitude -- and humour by the staff. Nibutani couldn't have cared less what they called the club, as long as she got her manuscript out of circulation. But Rikka was grateful that the club could be saved, and went ahead and did it on her own.

I think Yuuta is her soulmate in her fantasy world, like a best friend and partner, but being human she can't help getting some physical and emotional feelings toward him, too. Is she thinking romance right now (episode 6)? I'm not sure, but I don't think so. She just has unconscious feelings that come out in little playlets like that hand-holding as the wind passed by (at the railway crossing). And in her admiring eyes after he gave her the new mail address. And in her twinge of jealousy when he looked at Nibutani's form in the pool.

I think Rikka is just about as moe as an anime character can get. Moe in the original Akamatsu Ken sense of a child-like person whom you just can't help wanting to take care of. And usually a person with some fetishistic characteristic (e.g., being tsundere, or wearing an eyepatch) and perhaps a handicap of some kind (chuunibyou, that eyepatch).

Moe has become a much more general word over the years since it first came into wide circulation (around 2005). Now it just means something like "makes me hot for her." But Akamatsu claimed that real moe had no sexual content, and was just a reflex response of wanting to protect and look after such a person. I've never actually believed the nonsexual part, to be honest. Nor do I here. But in all other ways, Rikka fits that original meme as well as any character ever has.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2012-11-10, 02:54   Link #25
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I think Yuuta is her soulmate in her fantasy world, like a best friend and partner, but being human she can't help getting some physical and emotional feelings toward him, too. Is she thinking romance right now (episode 6)? I'm not sure, but I don't think so. She just has unconscious feelings that come out in little playlets like that hand-holding as the wind passed by (at the railway crossing). And in her admiring eyes after he gave her the new mail address. And in her twinge of jealousy when he looked at Nibutani's form in the pool.
Totally agree on this. Her feeling is still developing and she doesn't know that yet. It is a part of her charm, really. She doesn't plan them to be the case, but what she feel like doing are making Yuuta (start) falling for her.

Quote:
Moe has become a much more general word over the years since it first came into wide circulation (around 2005). Now it just means something like "makes me hot for her." But Akamatsu claimed that real moe had no sexual content, and was just a reflex response of wanting to protect and look after such a person. I've never actually believed the nonsexual part, to be honest. Nor do I here. But in all other ways, Rikka fits that original meme as well as any character ever has.
I don't know what was said, but I believe that moe does not have to imply sexual is more accurate. They are not mutually exclusive, though it is the case for me personally. To not going too off-topic, for me, Rikaa is a character that go into the pure moe catagories, which mean I avoid any NSFW material featuring her.
Old 2012-11-10, 17:24   Link #26
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

I just realized that Rikka's sister is extremely... well developed if you know what I mean. Rikka is a potential hottie (even more than Mori Summer... actually nvm that)

Arty

Old 2012-11-11, 21:03   Link #27
Aquifina

Quote:
I think Rikka is just about as moe as an anime character can get. Moe in the original Akamatsu Ken sense of a child-like person whom you just can't help wanting to take care of. And usually a person with some fetishistic characteristic (e.g., being tsundere, or wearing an eyepatch) and perhaps a handicap of some kind (chuunibyou, that eyepatch).
Well, that's an interesting definition. I usually just think of moe as kawaii plus a certain amount of immature child-like behavior plus some kind of eccentricity, although this vague conception of mine fits well with Rikka's character also (although it'd also apply to Chitanda from Hyouka). Your definition strikes me as a more articulate version of the general sense I have when I think of moe.

However one wishes to define it, it's clear Rikka is moe, but so much of her character is also driven by the comic premises of the series, which I see as a somewhat separate issue. This sometimes verges on the edge of making Rikka downright annoying, which I at least wouldn't associate with moe.
Old 2012-11-12, 14:34   Link #28
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
...However one wishes to define it, it's clear Rikka is moe, but so much of her character is also driven by the comic premises of the series, which I see as a somewhat separate issue. This sometimes verges on the edge of making Rikka downright annoying, which I at least wouldn't associate with moe.
Good point. Probably didn't occur to me since I don't find her at all annoying. And can't a tsundere be annoying? That's a standard type of moe character. Anyway, I think of those "comic premises" as the context of Rikka's fetish/eccentricity, so not separate from her moe appeal.

I finally found a translation of the original post in which Akamatsu Ken defines moe. There's interesting detail there.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2012-11-12, 17:28   Link #29
Aquifina

Quote:
Good point. Probably didn't occur to me since I don't find her at all annoying. And can't a tsundere be annoying? That's a standard type of moe character. Anyway, I think of those "comic premises" as the context of Rikka's fetish/eccentricity, so not separate from her moe appeal.
Tsunderes *are* frustrating to watch at times, but Rikka's antics take it to a whole new level. Don't get me wrong; it's really part of her charm, but the writers really do push things to the edge, especially in the early eps, where we don't see the scenes that are starting to make Yuuta's heart melt.
Old 2012-11-12, 18:33   Link #30
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

I kind of agree here. The whole talking-to-the-teacher-so-I-can-go-home-with-Yuuta thingy pissed me off, even more when she's clinging to Yuuta and stopping him from "growing" in a way.

Arty

Old 2012-11-17, 22:01   Link #31
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Today's blog post confirmed that Rikka's birthday is June 12.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-11-18, 03:09   Link #32
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Today's blog post confirmed that Rikka's birthday is June 12.
Why am I not surprised?

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-11-24, 05:26   Link #33
Gault
inc_mplete

Spoiler:
Old 2012-11-24, 13:23   Link #34
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gault View Post
Spoiler:
I'd argue that it's been that way for quite some time (maybe even since she first met him), but it's only know that she's actually beginning to understand what she's feeling.
Old 2012-11-24, 19:55   Link #35
Itlandm
Porcupine

If she understood what she was feeling, she would not go on about how excited she was. (Near the end of episode 8.) She would be embarrassed about sniffing his clothes, or talking about her excitement while watching a love story on TV. She is still like a child, only her body is growing up. It is very lucky for her that Yuuta is such a reliable young man. At some point I suppose she will find out though.
Old 2012-11-25, 10:04   Link #36
-Necromancer-
Otaku

Hello im new here just now actually so please tell me if I mess up or something?

Also I love rikka ^_^ I cant wait to see the ending between her and Dark flame master
Old 2012-11-25, 10:27   Link #37
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm View Post
If she understood what she was feeling, she would not go on about how excited she was. (Near the end of episode 8.) She would be embarrassed about sniffing his clothes, or talking about her excitement while watching a love story on TV. She is still like a child, only her body is growing up. It is very lucky for her that Yuuta is such a reliable young man. At some point I suppose she will find out though.
I did say she was beginning to understand it, not that she knew it right from the start. She's starting to realize she feels a kind of attraction towards Yuuta, but it'll probably take a little longer for her to fully realize that she's fallen for him.
Old 2013-05-22, 03:34   Link #38
jayjaye

I find her just adorable. Ever since episode 1. The way she walked into the train was just adorable. I wasn't expecting that after her initial appearance. since she came off as a coodereish girl in her first scene. But yes adorable, that word was the way i would describe her since episode 1. she is easily the most adorable heroin i have ever seen. Chuunibyou might not be the best anime but she definitely makes me love it.

Quote:
I kind of agree here. The whole talking-to-the-teacher-so-I-can-go-home-with-Yuuta thingy pissed me off, even more when she's clinging to Yuuta and stopping him from "growing" in a way.

Arty
i personally don't find that annoying. as someone who has found himself showing the new student around and basically having to babysit them for a few days, i didn't really find it annoying. granted the people i would help weren't this openly delusional, but come on. i found it cute. well actually i didn't but she is adorable so it seemed like a good moment. to me anyways. if i was single like him and a cute girl would wan't to walk home with me then i'd be pretty happy. even if she was eccentric and a threat to my new identity.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2013-05-22 at 10:03. Reason: Please use the "edit" button to add content to your post instead of double posting.
Old 2013-05-22, 06:19   Link #39
Haiprbim
Banned

Rikka is, I'll be honest, pretty dumb to me.
However, her cuteness and super-world imagination fixes everything, so overall, I think she's great!
Closed Thread

Tags
characters