AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-20, 07:54   Link #801
Kirarakim

And it continues for another week. This is certainly the most nail biting Space Brothers has been. And really I have no prediction on what is going to happen.

Do we know if the series is ending at 48 episodes or not yet?
Old 2013-01-20, 08:21   Link #802
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

If isn't, I don't think there's been any sort of announcement.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 10:22   Link #803
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I certainly found this episode compelling, but a couple of things bothered me about it. In particular, wouldn't running increase Hibito's oxygen use? I understand his urgency, but I'd imagine that eighty minute figure didn't include strenuous exercise.

Damien's trip up the side of the ravine was remarkably uneventful. He seemed to just slide right up the side of the cliff rather than bouncing off the rocks or getting stuck along the way.

And, of course, there were the sound effects from Hibito's fall. Perhaps he could hear them, and we hear them from his point of view.

If this really does end in a few weeks, that doesn't leave much time for Mutta to get to space. For those of us hoping for a continuation, I took a look at the ratings on the Geocities site which have been updated through mid-December. There's actually another anime in the same time slot, Battle Spirits, which Space Brothers routinely outdraws every week. It gets a rating in the mid-twos pretty much each episode. Browsing the manga sales list at MyAnimeList shows cumulative sales of volume 19 at 370,000 copies as of November 11th, a pretty respectable total compared to others on that list. Whether the TV series gave the manga a boost, I can't say. I can't find much in the way of merchandise for this show, though. Even that figurine of Mutta with Apo doesn't show up in a search any more.

I give the writers credit for leaving the ending of this sequence quite open. It seems possible that either or both of them might die, though killing off Hibito would make little sense from the perspective of the manga-ka or his publisher unless he was ready to end the series.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 10:28   Link #804
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well protocol wise the instruction is to stay and wait for rescue, but that was the situation before the tank rupture. Getting out of the canyon is the only option for Hibito to get both of them out.

Obviously NASA doesn't know that and we can't blame them. On the other hand we the viewer can't help but know that chances are they'll have to break protocol to save the two's lives.
If think if they stayed and waited for rescue before the tank ruptured, Damien would have died from Hypothermia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I certainly found this episode compelling, but a couple of things bothered me about it. In particular, wouldn't running increase Hibito's oxygen use? I understand his urgency, but I'd imagine that eighty minute figure didn't include strenuous exercise.
I was thinking the same thing. It is possible that Hibito did use more oxygen, because of strenuous things he had to do, but we viewers just aren't tolled if 60 minutes really did pas. We only know that he has 40 min and 20 min of oxygen left .
For example, he could have 20 min oxygen left, but rather then that 60 minutes passed only 40 minutes passed.

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2013-01-20 at 10:40.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 11:49   Link #805
Gravitas Free Zone

Best I could think of was that putting both of them on Gibson would overload the rover, so Hibito would have to hoof it. I think the depiction of Hibito's running is making it look worse for him than it is, since he looks like he's almost running normally on Earth when he should be doing gigantic Moon hops. It's still using more consumables than moving more slowly, but probably not at panting-breath-running rates.

Brian #3's oxygen-generation system practically has to come into play later. An oxygen generator that drives? What would you need that for? (Gets shot by Chekov's gun.)
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 12:23   Link #806
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
If I were Houston, I wouldn't reroute the Beetle based on one astronaut trainee's hunch. If Hibito were following orders he'd stay put, and they have a flare to confirm the location of at least one living astronaut. It makes no sense to send the Beetle anywhere else.

I expect the Brian 3 to save the day. Hibitio will find it, and with it find O2, and thus be able to get Damian into the sunlight. Don't forget that once they're out of the canyon, he'll be in radio contact again.
Yeah. Although we viewers know Nasa is wrong, their decision is sound from their point of view. I wouldn't have trusted Mutta's hunch either if I had been them.

I also expect Brian 3 to save the day, since it's exactly what Hibito needs right now. Thank god Azuma was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
That is true. However, Damian's survival is as important to him as his own, he needs to get him out in the sun as soon as possible or he won't make it. I like to think he has taken his oxygen use into account anyway.
Old 2013-01-20, 16:50   Link #807
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
And it continues for another week. This is certainly the most nail biting Space Brothers has been. And really I have no prediction on what is going to happen.

Do we know if the series is ending at 48 episodes or not yet?
The OP/ED changes every 13 episodes, so shouldn't it be 52?
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 18:40   Link #808
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

I'm curious about whether Hibito and Damian have another one of those flares left. If I remember right, Hibito didn't send his off, because Damian already lit his.

If so, the sensible thing for them to do would be to set the remaining flare off ASAP so that people would know that they were on the move and could predict their location. Time is of the essence for both of them, so they can't afford to sit and wait, or to have the rescuers go to the wrong area.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 19:00   Link #809
Dop
Mmmm....

The reason Damian and Hibito were out there in the first place was to look for the Gibson which they'd lost contact with, so I'd presume that with a fresh battery once it's close to the surface it'll start to communicate again and show up on scanners.

The Freddy oxygen generator may be a red herring here, as it may not be possible for Hibito to connect to it without at least suffering some kind of decompression.

I'm not expecting anyone to die, but at the same time it would be very brave thing to kill off a character here. so I can barely wait for next week!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 04:10   Link #810
cyth
Banned

Then again, killing off a character just so they can make room for Mutta is as dumb a reason as any. I hope he lives.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 13:07   Link #811
kitten320

If Hibito dies it will give a much better development for Mutta and some other new astrounaunts since they feel this lose much more than when Brian died. Especially Mutta. His family could be against of him going to space what would raise quiet a few flags to work on.

I do doubt that Hibito will die but if he did I'm sure it could give a lot to a story. Not just simple Hibito/Mutta replacement.
Old 2013-01-27, 00:05   Link #812
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Spoiler for episode 42:

I found myself yelling at Hibito a couple of times in this episode. I haven't done that since I got frustrated with Mutta for not asking Serika out on a date.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-01-27 at 00:16.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 01:35   Link #813
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep42:
Old 2013-01-27, 01:59   Link #814
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Spoiler for Ep42:
Spoiler for 42:
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 03:49   Link #815
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

How close are they going to cut it? If Hibito walk towards the rover, it should take less than 20 minutes for them to meet right?
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 05:06   Link #816
ookamigirl

Tough times for Hibito and Damian.
Mutta's hunch was right on. Good for him.
Flashback to childhood was nice.
Hibito's quick thinking and cool head may have saved the day!
Guess we'll see next time.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 09:17   Link #817
Aesthetic Shampoo

I don't think that's a spacesuit...well, i did when i read the corresponding manga chapter but this ep made me think it was a spacesuit model for some reason. Like the one Brian's brother has.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 11:09   Link #818
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Brian saved Hibito from beyond the grave. If Hibito hadn't been intrigued by the light and had jumped into the ravine, he would have been done for. Now there is still hope. What Azuma told the director and that we didn't get to hear was most likely to redirect Brian 3 to the position Mutta had indicated, just in case. It will be a close call but I'm sure he'll make it.
Old 2013-01-27, 11:54   Link #819
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Curious how the ghost of Brian Jay haunts this show.
Spoiler for spoiler:

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 12:11   Link #820
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Curious how the ghost of Brian Jay haunts this show.
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler for spoiler spoiler:
(After all, why would they show Azuma's suggestion to that guy without using any audio?)
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, seinen