AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise

Notices

Old 2013-02-08, 20:29   Link #701
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor Mobius Toth View Post
Also, my idea about Alt. V is not just about it sounding, in pure theory, as something more likely to work than Alt. IV - it's also that in twisted way, Alt. IV didn't solve much! Think about it - yes, Original Hive is destroyed, but many more battles remain before BETA will be pushed out, and there's no way of telling if mankind won't screw something up along the way. Also, the rampant nationalism and politics still remain, with only the threat of BETA in space holding mankind together. That's not a very stable glue; anything may go at the moment, and frankly, Yuuko is not an unmistakable genuis - nor is she a very altruistic politician.

Vast swathes of Earth were also already devastated by BETA, and it remains to be seen just how well it can recover.

In some ways, just starting anew on another planet may make things better, especially when national governments are more interested in making the most out of Earth's ruins.

Spoiler for For Unlimited End:
This actually makes a certain kind of sense, I guess. And to be fair, if the G-Bombs hadn't fucked over the environment, it woulda been the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Also, I ended up with Tomcat and Fulcrum as males because I like gender equality.
Spoiler for Jive Turkey:

No need to thank me.
I ain't thanking you.

This reminds me of a lulzy line in Yellow Eyes, by Tom Kratman:

Will we be male or female?
asked the AID.

We shall be female,
came the answer, as are most like us. Russian warships are male but they are mostly gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- Not just the Plane AI. The Tactical and Strategic computers, et al are all included. The JAM would probbaly see them as a sort-of semi Hive Mind in the sense that the planes go out collect info and hunt, and then share this information at the central hub (Tactical Computer and Strategic computer at base).

The comparison with Muv-Luv is when you notice that early in the war the BETA tended to attack mechanisms but not individual soldiers (except as raw materials). For all the BETA Superiors know, the TSFs were using humans as power sources or tactical weapons computers...
That... puts an interesting spin on things. Very interesting...
Quote:
- I actually have a short story with that in mind, but I'll probably be stoned for using original characters even before anyone read it.
Not from me; my story is essentially populated by OCs.

Quote:
- Just remember that there's the obvious Japanese bias---having been on the receiving end of a WMD, it's usually the scariest thing they can think of. So much so that any solution involving a WMD is the worst possible solution.

Also my take on Alternative V: I do not mind, and actually encourage humanity to reach out and find a new home beyond Earth...but it has to be BY CHOICE, not because we're being overrun by Alien bugs.

...that, and what happens if the BETA drop by on that new planet before the population is ready?
Good point. And I'm actually out of insightful and witty things to say atm, except that this is an interesting perspective indeed.

Quote:
Human beings (both as individuals and groups) have two problems that work in the favor of ANY Alien invader:
1.) At a subconscious level we do not care for anyone who does not support them or have anything of value we can make use of.
2.) Majority of human beings have an inabilty to think long-term.
The breadth of these discussions prove, without a doubt, that Muv-Luv is hardly just some pron game. But then, we all already knew that.

...Total Eclipse VN had BETTER have a Yui end, btw. And a 3rd person shooter using the ACE engine would be totally sweet...

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 20:51   Link #702
Darthtabby

Quote:
- It's not going to happen IMHO. The reason Nationalism (or racism, or religious purism, etc) exists is as an extended form of individualism. The gist of it being: "No, we are not world citizens, we are not all the same---we are special because we are of this race/country/religion/economic theory/sports and that makes us superior and different to the rest of you." The irony of that is that these people homogenize themselves within their own circles (go to the same pub every night, eat the exact same food as your uncles and aunts)---People I know IRL who try so hard to be individual just end up imitating everyone else.

"Standing out by being just like everyone else."

A unified government in the Muv-Luv universe doesn't exist--in spite of facing a common threat--because people believe that to be part a major movement, a one world government, means giving up their individual right to choose things on their own. Like how the French dropped out of the Eurofighter program (in ML and in real life) because things weren't going their way. People/Groups have desires and wants, and they may compromise on some, but there will always be one or two that they will stick to, despite common sense telling them this is unwise.

Although the characters in MLA talk about the need for a unified government, let's face it: Japan, the United States, and other countries would pay only lip service to it at best---and outright fight it at the worst.The US wants the United Nations to do things the US way, Japan and Asian natiosn want it done another, so forth and so on. There will always be some group/organization/government/country that will insist on doing outlandish and downright dangerous things to the world at large just to show that they're tougher and better than everyone else/that they have a God-given mission to change the world the way THEY see fit.

Human beings (both as individuals and groups) have two problems that work in the favor of ANY Alien invader:
1.) At a subconscious level we do not care for anyone who does not support them or have anything of value we can make use of.
2.) Majority of human beings have an inabilty to think long-term.
I think you misinterpreted what I was getting at with those excerpts from Good Luck, Yukikaze. Perhaps the selection I chose was not the best for illustrating my point. That section of the book talk about things like how nations are involved in the defense of the earth for their own self interest, and how conditions on Earth aren't conducive to producing people who identify themselves as Earthers rather than members of Group/Nation X. This reminds me of certain elements in Muv Luv. In particular I find it notable that Takeru pretty much ends up becoming an "Earther," but he was essentially an alien in an alternate version of his home country. Plus he got to see what more or less amounted to refugees fleeing the Earth. Then you have Yuuko, who somehow also managed to rise above her national origins to look out for the human species. And all over the various Muv Luv series you have nationalism and nations looking out for their own narrow interests, even with all of humanity facing destruction from the BETA. See where I'm seeing possible connections?

I think when you get right down to it there's quite a bit of stuff in Muv Luv which may owe something to the Yukikaze series.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 20:57   Link #703
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Like how modern technothrillers owe to the work by Coonts and Clancy, and how practically every Cold War gone hot scenario borrows from Sir John Hackett's The Third World War and Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy and Larry Bond.

Actually, mentioning Yukikaze, it does appear that it was an influence, especially given how geeky Kouki has been with the TSF backstories.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-02-09, 01:53   Link #704
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Dammit, now I've got the idea in my head and it won't go away. Just you wait, I'll write up that short story I'm thinking of and post it here.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 02:49   Link #705
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Happy Chinese New Year to all! Sasahar17 has completed the next installment of Muv-Luv: Do You Remember Luv!

Do enjoy! And yes, I also BETAed this fic XD

Muv-Luv: DYRL - Valkyries.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-02-12, 06:55   Link #706
John117xCortana

I like the culture shock of this chapter. I'm looking forward to Ivanova's showdown with A-01.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 08:14   Link #707
sasahar17

Quote:
Dammit, now I've got the idea in my head and it won't go away. Just you wait, I'll write up that short story I'm thinking of and post it here.
Yayfications! When do you plan on having it done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
I like the culture shock of this chapter. I'm looking forward to Ivanova's showdown with A-01.
Hey Goose! Look at this comment! Lolz.

Oh man, John117XCortana... you have no idea.

Spoiler for ML:DYRL, Boening F-15E-OT Over Eagle Writeup:

Last edited by sasahar17; 2013-03-10 at 05:25.
sasahar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 09:37   Link #708
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasahar17 View Post
Hey Goose! Look at this comment! Lolz.

Oh man, John117XCortana... you have no idea.
It will involve Akane and Tasha grappling in the showers, before Tasha casts Yuri Kiss, which causes the Stun effect and Critical Damage to Akane, and that's before we factor in Tasha's attack bonus from the Slender Figure and Nash Ura perks, which also stack with the Defrosted Queen achievement. The resulting effects overwhelm Akane, causing her to melt into Tasha's arms, where Tasha continues her relentless attac-

*Goose is shot by a sniper TSF*

Spoiler for Boening F-15E-OT Over Eagle Writeup:
[/QUOTE]

*big grin* Like I said in our emails, really digging the final version, and the recognition that life is full of tradeoffs. Speaking of which...

Spoiler for Visiting:

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-02-12, 09:42   Link #709
John117xCortana

More Dakka ! Theres never enough dakka.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 10:04   Link #710
EagleBlue

Hmm, I'm surprised that Vincent didn't use something like the Linear Actuators on the Over-Eagle for ease of maintenance. Good god, a Type-00 would be an easier machine to use with that in it.

How did Tatsumi get shot down anyways? I would have thought that the Stealth Systems on the Valkyries would have made them hard to find with radar.

And oh, can we expect an Armored Shiranui?
EagleBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 10:04   Link #711
sasahar17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
More Dakka ! Theres never enough dakka.
All that Dakka comes with a cost unfortunately.

…Like an angry crew chief and store officer who wants to gut the trigger happy pilot who just came back in his Over Eagle like a fish. One is ‘pretty angry’ because the pilot just ruined the hot rod paint job the tech crew lovingly put on its armor as dented a good part of the well as their custom stenciled ‘Delta Force owns your ass’ emblem they had on the torso. The other is mouth forming furious because that yahoo of a pilot just fired over 100,000 36mm shells, a few dozen micro missiles, 1000 rounds .50 BMG and guzzled enough fuel to fill a swimming pool in one outing and the budget just got shanked.

I always thought Vinnie was too nice of a technician, because back in my NS days, I remember how ‘upset’ I would get when the operators came to me with something that was perfectly okay a few moments ago..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBlue View Post
Hmm, I'm surprised that Vincent didn't use something like the Linear Actuators on the Over-Eagle for ease of maintenance. Good god, a Type-00 would be an easier machine to use with that in it.
Yeah, never thought about that.

Well, I’m not sure if liner actuators would help much, since the main problem comes from it being the base Strike Eagle pimped out with more stuff to make shootier. It’s a resource hog, that’s the problem. Still, that’s pretty funny: a Type-00 would be harder to build but ironically easier to keep running since it doesn’t drink fuel and consume ammo like the Over Eagle.

Quote:
How did Tatsumi get shot down anyways? I would have thought that the Stealth Systems on the Valkyries would have made them hard to find with radar.
Well he didn’t get shot down, he actually bailed out from an uncontrolled spin from the transition and his VF-25F ended up in the bay. Said VF-25F is now in Ikaruga’s possession.

Quote:
And oh, can we expect an Armored Shiranui?
Yeah I forgot about those. I’ll work the VF Fubiki and the Armored Shiranui in if I can. Armored Shirnui… heh. Japan’s answer to the Over Eagle maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Akane and Tasha grappling in the showers, before Tasha casts Yuri Kiss, which causes the Stun effect and Critical Damage to Akane...
Yeeeeeeeeeah, now this is what I’m talking about! Continue good ma-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
*Goose is shot by a sniper TSF*
NO! Who did this!? Who dares!? It was just getting g-

*Sound of 1200mm Horizon cannon firing, and Sasahar17 disappearing into a red mushroom cloud*

Last edited by sasahar17; 2013-02-12 at 10:14. Reason: Reply to Eagle Blue worked in.
Old 2013-02-12, 10:23   Link #712
EagleBlue

Quote:
Yeah, never thought about that.

Well, I’m not sure if liner actuators would help much, since the main problem comes from it being the base Strike Eagle pimped out with more stuff to make shootier. It’s a resource hog, that’s the problem. Still, that’s pretty funny: a Type-00 would be harder to build but ironically easier to keep running since it doesn’t drink fuel and consume ammo like the Over Eagle.
Well it's still something that could help in the long term. They'll waste less resources and time on maintenance.

Wait, Vincent didn't take into account that the Over-Eagles will fight with blades or knives?
Quote:
Well he didn’t get shot down, he actually bailed out from an uncontrolled spin from the transition and his VF-25F ended up in the bay. Said VF-25F is now in Ikaruga’s possession.
Oh, sorry about that must have misread it.

EDIT: Maybe I shouldn't have posted while tired.

Last edited by EagleBlue; 2013-02-12 at 10:40.
EagleBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 10:57   Link #713
sasahar17

Quote:
Well it's still something that could help in the long term. They'll waste less resources and time on maintenance.
Maybe as a later upgrade, and not something every Over Eagle can get immediately. Still I'll keep this in mind.

Quote:
Wait, Vincent didn't take into account that the Over-Eagles will fight with blades or knives?
Well he did, but the Over Eagle just naturally lends itself better to the 'making everything full of holes very quickly' kind of pilot. Besides Macross tech revolves around ranged combat, and the Strike Eagle was never a champion of the melee game. The Over Eagle was just Vinnie playing around to get a feel for the local tech anyway, so best to stick with what's familiar before trying something more radical.

Still keep in mind that as of -Valkyries- Vinnie is in Dover , home of the Eurofighter, Haggis and jolly good German people. Now to find some of that famed German engineering...
Old 2013-02-12, 11:41   Link #714
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

My God that was a good fanfic.
I love there's a one sided rivalry with Yuuko's Valkyries hating Yui's Valkyries for becoming the new Tier 1 group. Now who will snatch Hibiki before who knows what will ruin it?
Old 2013-02-12, 21:36   Link #715
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Yeah I forgot about those. I’ll work the VF Fubiki and the Armored Shiranui in if I can. Armored Shirnui… heh. Japan’s answer to the Over Eagle maybe?
IIRC, as an April Fool's Day gag, age actually released designs for VF Fubuki and Armored Shiranui. Is that what you're talking about?

Quote:
Yeeeeeeeeeah, now this is what I’m talking about! Continue good ma-

NO! Who did this!? Who dares!? It was just getting g-

*Sound of 1200mm Horizon cannon firing, and Sasahar17 disappearing into a red mushroom cloud*
M-m-medic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
My God that was a good fanfic.
I love there's a one sided rivalry with Yuuko's Valkyries hating Yui's Valkyries for becoming the new Tier 1 group. Now who will snatch Hibiki before who knows what will ruin it?
Obviously, it'll be Yuzuka, who doesn't have the issues of her TDA self, nor her axe, and thus she can capture Hibiki's heart, leaving Tasha and Akane to settle for the consolation prize of each other! Hibiki will sit on her lap as she flies her Fubuki into the sunset, and they'll eventually to this and that, while Tasha and Akane continue grappling in the showers. Hibiki realises there is something good about Alternative Earth, as Fortified Suits are waaaay sexier than NUNS flightsuits... though that's a moot point once Yuzuka slinks outta her suit and helps Hibiki outta his coveralls-

"Spooky-1 here. Target confirmed. FCO, hit 'em with the 105."

"Roger pilot, engaging with 105. Firing.

*Goose is killed by AC-130U*

"Good effect on target. He's gone."

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-02-14, 13:10   Link #716
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

To the writer Macross X Muv luv cross over

looks it even age's Trade mark english

so your the faceless protag in solo unit going into godforsaken hive infiltration .... But you have the power of love supporting you ....and crap load of missiles

hope to see Takeru and of A01 in the fanfic
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 00:37   Link #717
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizerknight01 View Post
hope to see Takeru and of A01 in the fanfic
I doubt I will be see Takeru in this fic because there is another enigmatic Shirogane and if Takeru shows up then Alt IV shouldn't be having problems at all because it should be producing results but in this fic. Its not progressing at all. I feel it will be like in unlimited specially when Hibiki is telling story about humanity going to space.

They should hijack the space carrier for Alt V and use it to go to space. But really......... I'm having problems with Valkyrie project because it won't show immediate redemption and way to attack the beta unlike unit 00. The project Valkyrie will take time before the counter attack begun. But nonetheless its an awesome fic. Like Yuzuka and Hibiki moments.
Old 2013-02-15, 01:45   Link #718
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

Quote:

Still keep in mind that as of -Valkyries- Vinnie is in Dover , home of the Eurofighter, Haggis and jolly good German people. Now to find some of that famed German engineering...
this implied back story between Macross!Ilfriede von Feulner and Makabe Seijyurou intrigues me. yes please continue.
Angrypokstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 03:54   Link #719
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/w...era-in-russia/
...the BETA have arrived. Anyone up to write a BETA invasion in the real world fic?
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 04:10   Link #720
tsunade666

why only Ilfriede? why not bring the other two from cerberus too?

Tags
fanfiction, harem