AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-06, 19:38   Link #3861
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Spoiler for PC3:
Old 2013-03-08, 00:17   Link #3862
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Kaijin no Karshel.

Latest story in Liar Soft's Steampunk series. Joint work between Liar Soft and Nitroplus

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Karshel refers to Tick Tack Man's Mega Engine Clock

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2013-03-08 at 00:29.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 13:42   Link #3863
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Just completed Happymaher. Purplesoftware had somehow a strange taste with this VN. It had its creepy parts, touching parts and epic fails. The latter are mostly most of the h-scenes, which simply felt rushed lots of times. The OST was quite nice, imho.
Spoiler for General comments from the beginning to the end:

Non-spoiler conclusion: While better than let's say Shiawase Kazoku-bu, it didn't reach my preferance of Hatsukoi Sacrament as I had to question the at times strange sense of the writers. Personally, I recommend at least a slightly careful dive into the VN as I'd count it to the unusual VN settings/themes.

Last edited by Mahou; 2013-03-12 at 17:02.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 08:18   Link #3864
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Finally got around to Ourai no Gahkthun. Hm. Difficult to sum up my thoughts. My overall impression is generally positive, but I can't see myself ever playing it again. It never really lost my interest, but it hasn't left a lasting impression on me like Inganock, Sharnoth, and Sona-nyl. Now, that means it's much more my cup of tea than most games out there... but compared to others in the steampunk series? Kind of meh.

I didn't feel that way the whole time! I loved the beginning. For much of the first half of the game, I was especially intrigued by the obvious influence of Revolutionary Girl Utena (hey, it's my #1 favorite anime; having the Utena factor be off the charts was nothing but a plus for me). I did a bit of googling and was relieved to find other people making the same comparison, haha. And I did enjoy how readable the text/story are compared to the writer's other work.

I think that sheer readability actually backfired in the end, though, at least for me. I can tolerate--and outright enjoy--Sakurai's recycled scenes and ritualistic chapter structures when that repetitiveness gives me something to hold onto and glean important clues from in the midst of an obtuse, sometimes confusing (but ultimately rewarding) world/story. Just like how Ikuhara Kunihiko's weird and maddening but fascinating quirks as an anime director work so well with something as layered as Utena or Penguindrum.

But Gahkthun is so clear and straightforward that the same repetitive narrative devices I enjoyed in some prior steampunk games just seemed like overkill here. And poor Neon is infuriatingly slow to get interested in asking the questions that will have been bothering players (or at least me) practically since chapter 1.

Still gonna try out the fandisc when it appears, of course. And I did enjoy the romance. Sharnoth is still king when it comes to sheer personal chemistry between the main characters, though.
Old 2013-03-27, 09:01   Link #3865
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
Finally got around to Ourai no Gahkthun. Hm. Difficult to sum up my thoughts. My overall impression is generally positive, but I can't see myself ever playing it again. It never really lost my interest, but it hasn't left a lasting impression on me like Inganock, Sharnoth, and Sona-nyl. Now, that means it's much more my cup of tea than most games out there... but compared to others in the steampunk series? Kind of meh.

I didn't feel that way the whole time! I loved the beginning. For much of the first half of the game, I was especially intrigued by the obvious influence of Revolutionary Girl Utena (hey, it's my #1 favorite anime; having the Utena factor be off the charts was nothing but a plus for me). I did a bit of googling and was relieved to find other people making the same comparison, haha. And I did enjoy how readable the text/story are compared to the writer's other work.

I think that sheer readability actually backfired in the end, though, at least for me. I can tolerate--and outright enjoy--Sakurai's recycled scenes and ritualistic chapter structures when that repetitiveness gives me something to hold onto and glean important clues from in the midst of an obtuse, sometimes confusing (but ultimately rewarding) world/story. Just like how Ikuhara Kunihiko's weird and maddening but fascinating quirks as an anime director work so well with something as layered as Utena or Penguindrum.

But Gahkthun is so clear and straightforward that the same repetitive narrative devices I enjoyed in some prior steampunk games just seemed like overkill here. And poor Neon is infuriatingly slow to get interested in asking the questions that will have been bothering players (or at least me) practically since chapter 1.

Still gonna try out the fandisc when it appears, of course. And I did enjoy the romance. Sharnoth is still king when it comes to sheer personal chemistry between the main characters, though.
Sakurai definitely changed her tone in Ourai into one that's more shounen-ish and chuuni ww

But hey, Jo and Emily are awesome.

As for Sharnoth...well, A.Z.T.T should really come back so we can see the dynamic between her and M. Would be very funny if Azathoth is another clueless girl like Lily and A.

Sona Nyl still remains the best for me though. And well may be the most important so far seeing how Tick Tack Man is practically confirmed to be the last boss now.
Old 2013-03-31, 08:59   Link #3866
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

I'm done with most routes of Lovesick Puppies and have had much sugary sweetness with the VN. First off: The VN isn't meant for a deep, drama-fest story as most scenes are daily life-ish and hence very normal.
Spoiler for a bit more detailed:
Still, the "hnnghh"-effect has been very huge for all girls and my "happy-o-meter" has been exploding since then .
The OST is okay-ish with fitting tracks for the more serious moments. 4 h-scenes per heroine in-route + 1 extra on the append disk.
Personal conclusion: Despite the few serious scenes in it, Lovesick Puppies is obviously more on the light-hearted side and a feel-good VN. Imoutosan was rather annoying, but you cannot have everything . And Orie's admirerer can be pretty creepy at times.
Old 2013-03-31, 21:20   Link #3867
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Forgot that today is April Fool's!!

Well played, Nitro. Well played.
Old 2013-04-01, 02:35   Link #3868
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
Forgot that today is April Fool's!!

Well played, Nitro. Well played.
Yeah I wish...

Although really Nyaruko vs Nyar vs M vs Tick Tack Man....

How is that even supposed to play out...it's like Nyarlathotep deciding to fight with itself...
Old 2013-04-01, 05:40   Link #3869
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

How it plays out matters not. You know it'll be bloody awesome if it ever came true.

That reminds me... ever watched that Nyarlathotep cross over with Touhou on Nico?
shmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 06:06   Link #3870
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
How it plays out matters not. You know it'll be bloody awesome if it ever came true.

That reminds me... ever watched that Nyarlathotep cross over with Touhou on Nico?
....No...

Link?
Old 2013-04-01, 20:46   Link #3871
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E5%B9%BB%...BA%8B%E5%A4%89

There are 3 starting arcs that took place simultaneously.
The Lost No. which is a secret profile thing.

Then the 5th arc which is the climax.

Then a 6th arc where this cross over discontinued at.
Old 2013-04-01, 22:04   Link #3872
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

The heck...second vid...

俺の嫁~~!! indeed
Old 2013-04-01, 23:12   Link #3873
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

BTW, this is the right link for the introduction.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3063653
Old 2013-04-03, 12:22   Link #3874
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Sigh...

So I tried playing Haru Urare a few days ago....These kinda game is dangerous. At first, you feel nauseous playing it, eating away at your conscience bit by bit. Yet the gameplay is just enough to hook you in and you felt compelled to keep coming back, even if you feel like throwing up the whole time. You slowly feel deader and deader inside as you keep playing, but at the same time a feeling of satisfaction blooms.

I have played lots of nukige before, some with more outrageous h scenes than this, but this game (and Musumaker I remember playing for a while, until the nausea became too great to bear and I just quit), have a certain enticingly destructive power that none of those other nukige had. I'm guessing it's the 売春 simulation part that gets me, but isn't it strange that something more outrageous than this didn't provoke as much emotion? Or was my scale off and 売春 really is down there among the worst?

sigh...
Old 2013-04-06, 22:15   Link #3875
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Double posting, but it's a few days apart so I guess it's okay.

So yeah, I just barely managed to get away from HaruUrare, keeping my crumbling conscience for the moment .
And I figured to try Happymaher next. I thought I would get some happy sugary thingy coming my way, but woe is me when I realized this game is really nightMARE fuel (well, not really in the usual grotesque kind of way).
I don't know if it was intentional since the whole theme of the VN are dreams and nightmares, but I feel this gotta be one of the most jarring VNs I've ever played. The plot and scenes just jumps all over the place without warning with little to no explanation. Perhaps there will be more reveal when I clear more routes, though I've only cleared Yayoi's route now (yay Kazane!). Since I'll be saving Saki, Maia, and Arisu for last (Arisu and Maia is last because I think either one of them will be the true route or have the most reveal), that means going for Keiko next.
Old 2013-04-07, 06:03   Link #3876
Child_of_Sierra

^^ so I decided to see what was so bad about Urare... and was intrigued that we could create
custom members ala Daiteikoku ... tried to cheat my way only to find out that my custom S rank character went to the rival club... guess I should go back trying to play Rance.
Old 2013-04-07, 06:10   Link #3877
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
^^ so I decided to see what was so bad about Urare... and was intrigued that we could create
custom members ala Daiteikoku ... tried to cheat my way only to find out that my custom S rank character went to the rival club... guess I should go back trying to play Rance.
Btw! Did you properly play Urare? Did you experience some kind of discomfort like I described when playing it? I play Rance as well, and as you know, a lot of the H-scene there are outrageous. But, when I play Rance why didn't I feel the same crushing nausea as when I play Urare? It actually felt invigorating playing Rance, especially when the Rance theme starts playing, even though what he does is absolutely terrible.
Old 2013-04-07, 06:44   Link #3878
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Since I'll be saving Saki, Maia, and Arisu for last (Arisu and Maia is last because I think either one of them will be the true route or have the most reveal), that means going for Keiko next.
That's the order I would recommend as well, if only because Arisu's route is slightly a special case in terms of structure . But, yeah I found it also somewhat strange-ish up to confusing with all the jumping-around.
As for Maia: Uhm, may your expectations not be betrayed
Old 2013-04-07, 13:13   Link #3879
Child_of_Sierra

Quote:
Btw! Did you properly play Urare? Did you experience some kind of discomfort like I described when playing it? I play Rance as well, and as you know, a lot of the H-scene there are outrageous. But, when I play Rance why didn't I feel the same crushing nausea as when I play Urare? It actually felt invigorating playing Rance, especially when the Rance theme starts playing, even though what he does is absolutely terrible.
Define proper play? I managed to finish it once but have yet to unlock any CG's. My japanese is very basic to begin with so that probably saved me from the rather depressing dialogue between the main character and the heroines.

I don't think I felt the same nausea playing this game as you did. However I did feel sorry for my initial "members". The game for me turned into helping those 3 make it through the end in one piece, (no negative status or N rating) rather than actually caring about the named characters. (Twisted logic really, when releasing them after the 1st turn should make more sense.)

Discomfort? Like the feeling I got when I realized that the gameplay is all about turning characters into commodities that degrade over time so I can profit off them? It was there but I've been desensitized by doujinshis I read before.

And yeah, Rance is more enjoyable because the ero is just a small part of the bigger gameplay. Hare Urare focused solely on the abuse of characters.
Old 2013-04-07, 17:54   Link #3880
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:

So yeah, I just barely managed to get away from HaruUrare, keeping my crumbling conscience for the moment .
And I figured to try Happymaher next. I thought I would get some happy sugary thingy coming my way, but woe is me when I realized this game is really nightMARE fuel (well, not really in the usual grotesque kind of way).
I don't know if it was intentional since the whole theme of the VN are dreams and nightmares, but I feel this gotta be one of the most jarring VNs I've ever played. The plot and scenes just jumps all over the place without warning with little to no explanation. Perhaps there will be more reveal when I clear more routes, though I've only cleared Yayoi's route now (yay Kazane!). Since I'll be saving Saki, Maia, and Arisu for last (Arisu and Maia is last because I think either one of them will be the true route or have the most reveal), that means going for Keiko next.
Interesting coincidence, I finished Yayoi first too (All hail boobs!). I'm going Saki, then Keiko, then Maia, and then Arisu.

I think Arisu's route should be saved for last. I took the unique choice option that leads into her route just to see what it's like and the IMPLICATIONS. I was like, "OOKAY, back away from this and get back to Saki route. This HAS to be saved for last!"

Tags
bishoujo game, ero-game, eroge, visual novel