AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2013-04-23, 19:44   Link #1
Seitsuki
Onee!

Changing thread titles?

Is there a way to do this? It's possible to change post titles in the advanced edit section, but is there any way to change the thread title of a thread you've made?

Thanks
Old 2013-04-23, 20:17   Link #2
relentlessflame

*Administrator

In general terms, this is something that only mods and admins can do. So, in cases where it's necessary or beneficial, you can use the "Report Post" option to send a message to the mods about it, and they'll take care of it.
Old 2013-04-26, 05:39   Link #3
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
In general terms, this is something that only mods and admins can do. So, in cases where it's necessary or beneficial, you can use the "Report Post" option to send a message to the mods about it, and they'll take care of it.
Although I do not see why the thread's owner shouldn't be able to do it.

I would like to continue the discussion on this thread regarding the idea of owner chaging the thread's title himself/herself, without asking a Mod/Admin to do it for him/her.

Changing the thread's title is not equal to locking a thread, it does not change, or even prevent the discussion on a thread. It only changes the main attraction that lead the members to it - the title.
I personally think that a thread's owner should be able to rename his/her own thread with a specific time gap between when he/she can do it again.

Thoughts?
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 12:10   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
Although I do not see why the thread's owner shouldn't be able to do it.

I would like to continue the discussion on this thread regarding the idea of owner chaging the thread's title himself/herself, without asking a Mod/Admin to do it for him/her.

Changing the thread's title is not equal to locking a thread, it does not change, or even prevent the discussion on a thread. It only changes the main attraction that lead the members to it - the title.
I personally think that a thread's owner should be able to rename his/her own thread with a specific time gap between when he/she can do it again.

Thoughts?
After a thread has been made and has a discussion going I don't see why you need/want to be able to change a thread title besides to correct an error.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 12:56   Link #5
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I remember one time when someone made a thread and several pages later a nice discussion was going on.
Apparently it did not go into the direction the thread creator had imagined, so he made a mod change the title, edited his opening post and told everyone to gtfo of his thread with their offtopic discussions.
That wasn't nice.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 13:20   Link #6
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
After a thread has been made and has a discussion going I don't see why you need/want to be able to change a thread title besides to correct an error.
Yeah, it's basically this. The rest of the thread participants who are following/participating in the thread will be used to it under one name. If it suddenly changes (particularly in an illogical way) it could cause confusion. So it's something reserved for moderators at this time, and we typically use it only to correct errors or add clarity.
Old 2013-04-26, 14:42   Link #7
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Quote:
Yeah, it's basically this. The rest of the thread participants who are following/participating in the thread will be used to it under one name. If it suddenly changes (particularly in an illogical way) it could cause confusion. So it's something reserved for moderators at this time, and we typically use it only to correct errors or add clarity.
Yeah, you do have a point there.
However, keep in mind that besides the Admins and Mods, the creator of the thread should be the one in control of it, as it is his/her own.
That may get a little tricky if the thread gets really active with a lot of posts going on, that is why, if we stick to this idea, we could create a small icon called Last Knows As. When moving your mouse on it, the previous name of the thread would be displayed. I'm sure that members would check that out, at least for really active threads.
Also, the same as for Editing the post, allowing the thread's owner to give a reason for a thread title edit in a special section would be good.
Old 2013-04-26, 16:17   Link #8
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
However, keep in mind that besides the Admins and Mods, the creator of the thread should be the one in control of it, as it is his/her own.
Philosophically, I don't really believe that. When you create a thread, you're starting a conversation, but you don't own that conversation. Everyone who participates in the conversation has a stake, along with the community on the whole (since it becomes of the tapestry).

In the end, if a thread title needs to be changed, the thread owner or whoever else can just report it and make the request. I think that system works fine for the amount of times it's needed (which isn't all that often). Making the proposed changes (if it's even doable) seems to be more work than its worth to me.
Old 2013-04-27, 01:26   Link #9
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Philosophically, I don't really believe that. When you create a thread, you're starting a conversation, but you don't own that conversation. Everyone who participates in the conversation has a stake, along with the community on the whole (since it becomes of the tapestry).
Truly depends on what the thread's main focus is about.

Quote:
In the end, if a thread title needs to be changed, the thread owner or whoever else can just report it and make the request. I think that system works fine for the amount of times it's needed (which isn't all that often). Making the proposed changes (if it's even doable) seems to be more work than its worth to me.
And it seems just that is not happening often, so there is not a big deal.
I personally have more experience with a bit more active forums and there, these kind of reports just stock up, that is why an individual change takes action.
As long as you guys and gals have it all under control, it may just be good to stay/leave it as it is after all.
Old 2013-04-27, 08:29   Link #10
brocko

If memory serves me right, you have about 10 minutes after thread creation to rename a thread. After that it's out of your hand and the mods are reasonable enough to fulfill a thread title request outside of that initial 10 minutes anyway.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 12:29   Link #11
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
If memory serves me right, you have about 10 minutes after thread creation to rename a thread. After that it's out of your hand and the mods are reasonable enough to fulfill a thread title request outside of that initial 10 minutes anyway.
Oh?
I certainly did not see that option after I have created my two latest threads.
It would be good to have a 10-minute time gap in which you could re-name your thread if that doesn't exist yet.

Edit: Looking at the post below, it seems it already exists.

Last edited by Haiprbim; 2013-04-27 at 13:45.
Old 2013-04-27, 13:24   Link #12
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
If memory serves me right, you have about 10 minutes after thread creation to rename a thread.
Correct.

This option is called Time Limit on Editing of Thread Title and it is set to 10 (minutes) by default, which we haven't changed.

Quite frankly the problem of changing thread titles isn't big enough to warrant any other solution than the one currently provided.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 17:14   Link #13
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Correct.

This option is called Time Limit on Editing of Thread Title and it is set to 10 (minutes) by default, which we haven't changed.
Huh? Such rule exist...?

Anyway.. could Thread Title Changed be made available for "governors" of Social Threads?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 04:20   Link #14
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
...could Thread Title Changed be made available for "governors" of Social Threads?
I strongly support that idea.
Old 2013-04-28, 22:43   Link #15
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
I strongly support that idea.
Thanks... My reason is to make changes for the good of the social threads... share some of your powers with us....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote