AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-05-06, 04:15   Link #1
Yumeiro

Family-friendly animes

I have 3 younger brothers and my mama (who is against letting us watch anime that involves: violence, nudity, and swear words). I tried to convince her to watch Inuyasha with us, but she thinks it is too mature for us. She loves Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon, Yumeiro Patissier, and any movies made by Studio Ghibli.

Can anyone recommend any anime that is family-friendly?

BTW: Thanks for the replies!

Last edited by Yumeiro; 2013-05-06 at 23:11.
Yumeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 04:32   Link #2
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

try checking out hyouka
http://myanimelist.net/anime/12189/Hyouka
or
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9989/An..._Mada_Shiranai.
Old 2013-05-06, 04:34   Link #3
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumeiro View Post
I tried to convince her to watch Inuyasha with us, but she thinks it is too mature for us.
Do me a favor. Tell this sexy MILF of a mom of yours... to... um... expand her horizons.

But family-friendly, huh? Man, that's difficult. Most series in this category simply sucks balls. But, let's see... off the top of my head? How about some Hamtaro?
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 05:29   Link #4
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Try Fruits Basket (erm, maybe you wanna skip the last episode since it's dark and not very family friendly) but the rest of the episodes are touching.

Perhaps Itazura na Kiss, Ouran, Clannad and Kanon.

Or if you want to be ABSOLUTELY safe, watch Sazae-san and Chibi Maruko.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 07:27   Link #5
oompa loompa

I have just two things to say:
Princess Tutu
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=1267
Dennou Coil
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=6278

go, now! (princess tutu gets a little dark though.. actually so does dennou coil.. but theres nothing explicitly adult about them and theyre AWESOME)
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 08:59   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Dennou Coil was my first choice as well, but outside of Australia there is no legally available version with English subtitles or dubbing. If your mom is as concerned about the legality of the material you are watching as she is about the content, you may be out of luck. Otherwise, here is the beautiful Ureshii torrent that was released while the show aired.

Another show that your mother will surely appreciate is Chi's Sweet Home, a lovely, cute and funny show about a lost kitten who is adopted by a Japanese family. The first season is on YouTube; the second season is streamed by Crunchyroll. Each of the 104 episodes in each season is just three minutes long.

Next I'll suggest Cross Game, a show about "life, love, death and baseball" to quote one of our other members. It's streamed by VIZ on Hulu. This show won our top award in 2010. Other excellent shows in the sports and games genre include Hikaru no Go, about a boy who aspires to become a professional Go player, and Chihayafuru about a girl who plays an obscure Japanese card game called karuta.

Finally, I'll suggest the two adaptations of anthropologist Uehashi Nahoko's novels, Seirei no Moribito and Kemono no Sou-ja Erin. A good Western equivalent of these stories in terms of content and age level is the early installments of the Harry Potter series. Moribito is available on DVD with English dubbing or streamed with English subs at Crunchyroll. Erin is available only at Crunchy or in fansubs.

A number of people have made similar requests to yours over the years. I suggest you start with this tag search: http://forums.animesuki.com/tags.php?tag=children.

You should also take a look at this thread on ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/...ic.php?t=25171

Unfortunately a number of the best shows are only available with subtitles. This might work for the 10 and 12 year olds, but the four-year-old may be out of luck. Chi uses a simple vocabulary and may be within his reading levels. The other shows are pretty much limited to you and your older brothers.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 10:31   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
You might try the sport genre.

Cross Game should go over well with her. Mother's tend to love Adachi stories. (Touch is the other big Adachi anime.)

Perhaps Big Windup as well.

I notice her preferences are female targeted anime, while you're asking for 3 brothers. Sports might be the best bet.

You might suggest Madoka Magica for your mother to watch by herself. It's a bit mature for even a 10 year old, but going by her preferences your mother will love it.

Bunny Drop would also be something your mother would like, and it would be fine to watch, even with a 4 year old. I don't know if your brothers would enjoy it though.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 10:38   Link #8
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

You can start off with Little Witch Academia, which has an official subtitled stream on Youtube. It's short, exciting, simple, and very safe.

If you want to go for something longer, try Ashita no Nadja and Heartcatch Precure. The latter has a lot of action and fighting, but no gore or blood splatter.

Looking at other people's recommendations, I actually advise against Hyouka, Clannad, and Kanon. These series may appear safe and appropriate, but they deal with themes that I feel your 4-year-old brother would have trouble connecting to. Examples include:
  • The jealously felt from untalented people who have a passion in a hobby towards people who have natural talent in that same hobby but a lack of interest.
  • A character has their own job advancement cancelled just because their father was involved in a crime. (I had trouble understanding this even as a teenager!)
  • A character has a terminal disease, and they are shown unsheathing a box cutter. The implication is that they plan to kill themself (this doesn't carry through), but a young child will not get this or empathize with the character.

In my opinion, there's something more important to "kid-friendly" entertainment than simply content such as violence and nudity: the subject matter should not be above their heads. Ashita no Nadja and Heartcatch Precure are targeted towards children in Japan, so they are fairly simple, although they don't patronize their audience like a lot of North American cartoons do. And Little Witch Academia is pretty much for anyone.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 10:47   Link #9
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
You can start off with Little Witch Academia, which has an official subtitled stream on Youtube. It's short, exciting, simple, and very safe.

If you want to go for something longer, try Ashita no Nadja and Heartcatch Precure. The latter has a lot of action and fighting, but no gore or blood splatter.

Looking at other people's recommendations, I actually advise against Hyouka, Clannad, and Kanon. These series may appear safe and appropriate, but they deal with themes that I feel your 4-year-old brother would have trouble connecting to. Examples include:
  • The jealously felt from untalented people who have a passion in a hobby towards people who have natural talent in that same hobby but a lack of interest.
  • A character has their own job advancement cancelled just because their father was involved in a crime. (I had trouble understanding this even as a teenager!)
  • A character has a terminal disease, and they are shown unsheathing a box cutter. The implication is that they plan to kill themself (this doesn't carry through), but a young child will not get this or empathize with the character.

In my opinion, there's something more important to "kid-friendly" entertainment than simply content such as violence and nudity: the subject matter should not be above their heads. Ashita no Nadja and Heartcatch Precure are targeted towards children in Japan, so they are fairly simple, although they don't patronize their audience like a lot of North American cartoons do. And Little Witch Academia is pretty much for anyone.
The thing is, it is quite difficult to cater to all age groups. Don't you think what a 4 year old watches may seem boring to 10 and 12 year old children?
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 10:55   Link #10
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
The thing is, it is quite difficult to cater to all age groups. Don't you think what a 4 year old watches may seem boring to 10 and 12 year old children?
You raise a good point. Not all age groups below teens have the same interests. But I still think that Little Witch Academia can entertain all age groups. It's colorful and quirky enough to grab the attention of the OP's 4-year-old brother. The other two anime I mentioned are targeted to 6 to 11-year-olds, so they may or may not entertain him, but it's worth a try.

And sorry, but "boring" is exactly what Hyouka, Clannad and Kanon would be to a 4-year-old.
Old 2013-05-06, 11:01   Link #11
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Angelic Layer: Nothing offensive and even the four year old can watch

Chi's Sweet Home: Nothing offensive at all: it's about a kitten and her misadventures

Inuyasha is too mature for a 4 year old but I'd let a ten year old and 12 year old watch with supervision. It's relatively inoffensive, but the younguns would be scared of the various monsters.

Nichijou: Some of the jokes might fly over the youngun's head, but there's very little offensive material and one of the main characters is an eight year old girl, her robot and a talking kitty. So, they might like that, as well as mom.

Polar Bear's Cafe: Personally, I found this boring and I lasted about six episodes, but from what I watched, it's pretty all ages friendly.

And everyone likes animals
Old 2013-05-06, 11:21   Link #12
kitten320

No violence and nudity? Hmmm...

Aria series - the most user friendly you can find, very calm too. those are episodic series that follow a young girl in training to become an undine. Series follow her training, new encounters and exploration of this new planet that she lives at looks a lot like Venecia. Great series if you are up for something calm. First season is called Aria the animation.
Though doubt that children would enjoy it... I defiantly wouldn't as a child.

Bakuman - I find it family friendly, series focus on 2 friends who starve to become greatest manga artists. I can't remember any nudity or swear words. Some characters might be a bit weird but there are no real fighting as well. Though might be a bit too complicated for a 4 year old...

Chihayafuru - great, family friendly series that follow Chihaya who wants to become top karuta player and re-unite with one of her childhood friends who opened the word of Karuta to her. Amazing series, I'm sure your mother will love it.
Beautiful animation, entertaining characters and quiet motivative too. Series are considered for slightly older audience but not because of nudity/violence and etc. worth taking at least a peak.

Hyouka - friendly series with childish mysteries to solve.

K-ON - group of friends tries to become a professional band... but spend most of their time lazying around and eating cakes while playing music from time to time. I found it pretty entertaining.

Shugo Chara!
- magical girl show.

Duno but as a child I used to like Pokemon and Sonic series.

Hope some of them will fit.

Find it hard to recommend children anime since I started to mostly watch anime at age of 17 so my tastes differs. Though there are some good American classics which I'll list just in case:
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers
Scrooge McDuck
Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears

Loved those as a kid.

Last edited by kitten320; 2013-05-06 at 11:40.
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 11:51   Link #13
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Wolf Children

A wonderful movie about a mother dedicating her life to raise her two... "special" children.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 14:04   Link #14
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Thought of some more:

the 12 year old and Mom might like Spice and Wolf. Yes, there is Holo's nudity, but truthfully, you really don't see anything. Wouldn't advise it for the ten year old and the four year old would be bored.

As for Mom herself, Mom might like UnGo, K and Gossick, which are all mystery/action based.

I really can't think of too much for a 10 and 4 year old.
Old 2013-05-06, 19:56   Link #15
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Most of KyoAni productions are actually very family friendly. I'd recommend stuff like Tamako Market, Chuunibyou, K-ON and Nichijou. No offensive content at all (well mileage may vary with Nichijou but it's still harmless).
Old 2013-05-06, 20:40   Link #16
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Most of KyoAni productions are actually very family friendly. I'd recommend stuff like Tamako Market, Chuunibyou, K-ON and Nichijou. No offensive content at all (well mileage may vary with Nichijou but it's still harmless).
I really don't know about Nichijou, it is way too strange to be understood by kids, I doubt they would enjoy it. Plus Mio is yaoi manga artist and this fact is often used heavily as device to create pretty funny situations.

At best the kids won't understand those situations at all, but then what's the point in watching it?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 20:56   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
There can be a considerable difference even between 10 and 12.

Let's talk about the four-year-old first. Reading subtitles is going to be a challenge for most kids that age or even older. One of the reasons I think Chi makes sense is that the language is quite simple, so even the subtitles use a lot of basic words in simple sentences. Anything beyond that is going to be a major challenge to a four-year-old and likely to leave him bored.

The problem is that few series that appeal to children of that age have been dubbed into English. Anime licensors serve an audience of teens and adults and choose their properties accordingly. Once in a while a show gets licensed in R1 that targets kids, but they are rare. Mahou Shoujotai Arusu is a good show for kids, but I didn't recommend it because the cast is almost entirely female, while the OP is asking about shows for boys. Angelic Layer might suffer from the same problem.
Spoiler for How appropriate is Angelic Layer?:

One show none of us have yet mentioned that is entirely appropriate, especially for the older boys, is Space Brothers. It's set in the near future and tells the story of two brothers who want to be astronauts. The creators expect kids to be watching because it airs in family viewing hours on the weekend, but the story itself is fairly mature. Most of the characters are in their 20's and 30's or even older, though there are a variety of flashback scenes with the brothers when they were around 12-14. Like all Crunchyroll shows, it is streamed with subtitles.

I'll also recommend the movie Summer Wars which has aspects that might appeal to everyone from four on up. It also has a dub. Buy the Blu-ray if you have a player; it's worth it.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 22:26   Link #18
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Mahou Shoujotai Arusu is a good show for kids, but I didn't recommend it because the cast is almost entirely female, while the OP is asking about shows for boys. Angelic Layer might suffer from the same problem.
It's hard to tell for sure, but I garner that the OP watched Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon, and Yumeiro Patissiere not only with their mother but also with their brothers. Otherwise, why would they have mentioned those titles when looking for recommendations?

I'd really like some confirmation from the OP though, who has pretty much vanished into nowhere immediately after making this thread. Post and run syndrome?

I grew up as a boy with The Powerpuff Girls and Cardcaptor Sakura, and I watched quite a few other cartoons that mostly starred female characters. Mahou Shoujo tai Arusu stars females, but the show isn't very stereotypically "feminine" in mood. And Angelic Layer is actually based on a shounen manga.
Old 2013-05-06, 22:59   Link #19
Yumeiro

Thanks!

Wow that's a lot, is there any of those anime has a little bit of romance? My mom and me are crazy for those!

Thanks Everyone!
Yumeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 23:04   Link #20
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumeiro View Post
Wow that's a lot, is there any of those anime has a little bit of romance? My mom and me are crazy for those!

Thanks Everyone!
The romantic plot in Ashita no Nadja is awesome.

Tags
children