Notices

Old 2013-09-11, 08:08   Link #661
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

It looks less sharp
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 11:54   Link #662
4Tran

Both LCDs and OLEDs have their unique advantages. In particular, OLEDs are not yet a mature technology and suffer from the mura effect (black blotches) and burn-in. However, the (original) Vita has one of the best screens of any mobile device and it's unlikely that the new model's screen will be as good. In particular, there's no way for LCD to match the black levels of OLED.

Still, I wouldn't interpret that photo as a definitive comparison between the two models. Lighting conditions, picture angle and subject will make a difference. Also bear in mind that viewing these pictures on a LCD monitor is going to make a difference as well. I expect that the new Vita screen will be pretty good.
Old 2013-09-11, 11:58   Link #663
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
It just occurred to me that people will hack/will modify Vita TVs so that you can put emulators made for PSV on them. This means Vita TVs can be emulation boxes, and the PS3 controller is good for both 2D gaming and 3D gaming (for like N64 emulation).

I think I will get a Vita TV and I look forward to playing NES, SNES, GBA, Genesis, etc. on it.
you can do that on your smartphone/tablet already. why bother hacking the vita?
Old 2013-09-11, 12:09   Link #664
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Buttons. I imagine that older action games will play very poorly on touchscreens.
Old 2013-09-11, 12:18   Link #665
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

What is this "black level" ?
Old 2013-09-11, 13:55   Link #666
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
What is this "black level" ?
To put it simply it's how black black is on a given screen.

On an OLED device black is pure black (as in absence of color) since the pixels themselves light up to produce light. Due to this you can get true black on an OLED screen by simply not powering up the corresponding pixel. But then there's the already mentioned Mura effect where some black pixels will light up while others won't due to different lower voltage bounds on different pixels (probably due to the organic nature of them but this is just speculation on my part).

On the other hand LCDs use filter layers that change the color of white light projected from behind. The way you get a black pixel on a LCD screen then is by applying a filter that attempts to completely block the light shining from behind. Due to this it's virtually impossible to get true black on a LCD screen since it isn't particularly easy to make a completely opaque filter at the sizes needed for a flat panel.

Burn In affects both types of screens but LCD tech is more mature than OLED tech so it's currently less prone to it.
Old 2013-09-11, 14:26   Link #667
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Buttons. I imagine that older action games will play very poorly on touchscreens.
isn't that why the Android Game controllers were invented.
Old 2013-09-11, 18:29   Link #668
4Tran

Quote:
To be honest, those controllers don't seem all that appealing yet. Maybe it'll change when controllers are standardized in the API.
Old 2013-09-11, 18:31   Link #669
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
To be honest, those controllers don't seem all that appealing yet. Maybe it'll change when controllers are standardized in the API.
any plans to do that?
Old 2013-09-11, 19:37   Link #670
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Quote:
Vita TV might be worth it for an emulation box alone, nonetheless. Most people that bought the Ouya did so to make it an emulation box, but I hear its controller sucks. If people can make getting console emulation up and running on a Vita TV pretty simple (nothing like opening up the system, soldering parts, etc.); i.e. like how easy it is to get emulation running on a PSP-3000 (just need a custom firmware, basically), Vita TV will be a great emulation box. Like I said, the dual shock 3 is a real quality controller that is very good for 2D gaming and also would work well for N64 games. And while getting emulation up and going on a PSP-3000 is easy, Super Nintendo emulation isn't perfect. Some games run flawlessly, while many of them don't. Even a JRPG like Final Fantasy VI runs with tons of slowdown on a SNES emulator for PSP. I would expect problems with Genesis emulation on PSP, too. You can, however, run NES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and surprisingly, Game Boy Advance games flawlessly on emulators made for PSP.
Old 2013-09-14, 14:21   Link #671
majestix1988

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...tv-in-west-yet

technically its pretty same issues why PS4 is so late on japan (due lack of Japanese games) or waiting for teh good time to release it

dont worry (its region free.....so dont care about it)
Old 2013-09-14, 14:30   Link #672
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestix1988 View Post
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...tv-in-west-yet

technically its pretty same issues why PS4 is so late on japan (due lack of Japanese games) or waiting for teh good time to release it

dont worry (its region free.....so dont care about it)
Yeah, figured as much. Now I just need to wait and see if you can activate a western PSN account on the system. If that works than I'm importing one anyway.
Old 2013-09-19, 00:26   Link #673
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Monster Hunter FRONTIER G coming to Vita
Old 2013-09-19, 01:04   Link #674
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Yeah, Vita is saved.

Not really. No one cares about that game.
Old 2013-09-19, 01:08   Link #675
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhŕi)
*Graphic Designer

quoted from some random stranger on gamefaqs:
Quote:
-Monster Hunter Frontier G is a 6 year old port of a game already out on 360 and PC. Not a new game.
-This will not be updated and is basically a straight port alongside the soon to be released PS3 and WiiU versions
-Its a microtransaction riddled MMO with dated mechanics and graphics(well the graphics thing can be said about all MH)
-Almost assuredly wont be localized as its one of the worst selling MH games to date
-People looking to import are out of luck as MHFG employs IP blocking meaning if your outside of Japan its a no go.
it's Ca$hcow ways to slap you in the face and it really freaking hurts. I probably not even going to touch this game.
Old 2013-09-19, 01:17   Link #676
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Capcom really has an interesting way of making fun of Sony. (Go Capcom)

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 02:05   Link #677
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Sony teases new Gravity Rush at Tokyo Game Show

Quote:
Sony is teasing a new game in the Gravity Rush franchise. At its Tokyo Game Show booth today, it showed a video featuring Gravity Rush heroine Kat flying around, before closing with the words, “Fall again… A new project from Team Gravity.”
Old 2013-09-19, 02:30   Link #678
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
This is an awesome bit of news. The first game had an awful lot of charm to it.
Old 2013-09-19, 02:37   Link #679
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Capcom really has an interesting way of making fun of Sony. (Go Capcom)
Personally I'll rather play Deep Down(grade) and whatever new IP/game Itsuno (da gawd) is about to unveil in a few days than MH....

People might think this crazy, but to me Itsuno > Kamiya.

Capcom Vs Snk 1+2, Power Stone 1+2, Rival Schools 1+2, Devil May Cry 3+4, Dragon's Dogma.

Heck with his pedigree in fighting games I hope he gets to direct the eventual Street Fighter V, let Ono take a break from fighting games and focus on more stuff like Deep Down.

Though if based Itsuno wants to, Ono can do SF5 while he does Capcom vs SNK 3.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 12:04   Link #680
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Toukiden: The Age of Demons slips to 2014 for Western Release

Quote:
Following a ground breaking success in Japan where its current sales stand well over the 400,000 mark, an impressive feat for an original IP, Toukiden: the Age of Demons is now being localised for release in Europe for the PlayStation Vita handheld system.

In Toukiden, players can customise characters, weapons and armour and form a group of hunters to take down the destructive Oni-demons of varying strength and size who have invaded the world through cracks in space and time. This visually stunning game boasts an extensive character creation mode, six non-player characters beautifully designed by Atelier Ayesha artist Hidari, and six different weapon types, each of which can be forged and upgraded to the player's preferences.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons, is set against a backdrop inspired by various historical periods of Japan, while it also features 200 characters based on both fictional and historical Japanese figures, whose souls help players strengthen their team and defeat their enemies.

https://twitter.com/tecmokoeieurope/...97009294180352

http://www.tecmokoei-europe.com/news...OR-EARLY-2014/

P.S - ATELIER ESCHA AND LOGY also confirmed.

Tags
playstation, vita, vita tv