AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Aldnoah.Zero

Notices

View Poll Results: Aldnoah.Zero - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 10 18.52%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 37.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 29.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 11.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.85%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2015-02-28, 18:56   Link #101
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageFan View Post
Inaho was an ensign but know Mag is calling him a Lt., what a promotion.
Translation mistake. Inaho is still a shou'i, which is equivalent to Ensign in the US Navy and Second Lieutenant in the other branches. The equivalent in the German Army and Airforce, on the other hand, is "Leutnant."

Marito is a tai'i, which was also translated as Lieutenant in this episode. That's correct if we're talking about the US Navy (he'd be a Captain elsewhere in the US Armed Forces).

Even if they don't really care about this series, at the very least, you'd think the translator would pick up a contradiction in the same episode...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2015-02-28, 19:01   Link #102
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidetoshi Nakata View Post
We learned that Slaine hates the earth and earthlings,[U][B] a world inhabited by ordinary barbarians
I suspect the reason why Slaine does not have any fond memories of Earth is because of his father.

Oh dear Slaine is really trying hard to kill the hypothenus.

Inaho checked Slaine with his Mazuurek pawn getting the princess to remember.

All his manipulations are coming to crash down on him. Both Asseylum and Lemrina are going to hate him.
Old 2015-02-28, 19:13   Link #103
mweloo

You guys just reminded me of the reason I detest the term NTR.
A lot of people have been calling Slaine "Bizon 2.0", but frankly speaking, I think his obsession has more psychological backing than Bizon, and comparing him to Bizon would be pretty reductive and a complete disservice to his character. It was established pretty early on that Slaine became emotionally dependent on Asseylum because she was the sole source of happiness in a society that treated him like dung. This intensified and became warped in her absence and coma, and partly due to his interactions with Saazbaum and Lemrina. Bizon on the other hand had a comfortable life even before Hina and eventually, Aoba came into the picture (I liked and enjoyed Buddy Complex a lot, but Bizon had nothing to do with it. ).

Honestly, though, I think his obsession and descent into despair has been portrayed with more restraint and a lot more tastefully than in other shows with similar storylines. And yes, he got himself into this mess, but who goes into something knowing that they'll be stuck in a lose-lose situation? Perhaps it was arrogant of him to assume that things would be successful in a scheme as convoluted as this, but that's his fatal flaw, and I think it adds to the the tragedy of his character. Personally, I can't bring myself to hate him, because they've made the tragic aspect of his character really clear- just compare how he was at the very beginning of S1 to how he is now. I can understand those who do dislike him (he's done a lot of things that range from morally questionable to flat-out wrong- poor Lemrina...) and perhaps the tragic aspect of his character isn't convincing enough to move them. It bugs me when people- regardless of whether they like or dislike a character- ignore character depth and backstory, and I've seen a lot of that with regard to that the show (mores on MAL and Tumblr than here, though). I think someone summed my thoughts up best on another thread- Slaine has become a lot less likeable, but infinitely more complex and interesting. The exact opposite happened to Inaho. You win some, you lose some, I guess.

(All this debate around Slaine and the what he deserves/doesn't deserve reminds me of the debate my Lit Class had about A Streetcar Named Desire's Blanche DuBois....)
Old 2015-02-28, 19:23   Link #104
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Again petty excuseses for poor poor NTRed misunderstood Supervillain Slaine...
Old 2015-02-28, 19:30   Link #105
Tchadnis

you know what is THE MOST disturbing thing of this episode? it how this count (i dont care to remember his name) that was so but* hurt when his pal got killed and now is all over lick*ng Slaine's boots .. man really those Count really have no pride at all , this was the MOST and im still trying to stay reasonable weird/ugly moment of this episode . it like ugh just whatever as long they get Aldnoah right they ready to kill their mom
Old 2015-02-28, 19:32   Link #106
helenobell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
Again petty excuseses for poor poor NTRed misunderstood Supervillain Slaine...
mweloo (I take it that you were referring to his/her post because you commented right after he/she did- if I'm wrong, please forgive me) didn't actually defend Slaine's stunts, though. And it's pretty mean of you to belittle her take on Slaine by dismissing it as a "petty excuse". You're perfectly entitled to dislike a character, and your opinion is as valid as anyone else's- but not everyone who empathises with Slaine is a vapid fan coming up with excuses.

I'm going to shut up before this escalates into an argument and I lose all semblance of objectivity.

Last edited by helenobell; 2015-02-28 at 20:22.
Old 2015-02-28, 19:42   Link #107
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweloo View Post
A lot of people have been calling Slaine "Bizon 2.0", but frankly speaking, I think his obsession has more psychological backing than Bizon, and comparing him to Bizon would be pretty reductive and a complete disservice to his character. It was established pretty early on that Slaine became emotionally dependent on Asseylum because she was the sole source of happiness in a society that treated him like dung. This intensified and became warped in her absence and coma, and partly due to his interactions with Saazbaum and Lemrina. Bizon on the other hand had a comfortable life even before Hina and eventually, Aoba came into the picture (I liked and enjoyed Buddy Complex a lot, but Bizon had nothing to do with it. ).

Honestly, though, I think his obsession and descent into despair has been portrayed with more restraint and a lot more tastefully than in other shows with similar storylines. And yes, he got himself into this mess, but who goes into something knowing that they'll be stuck in a lose-lose situation? Perhaps it was arrogant of him to assume that things would be successful in a scheme as convoluted as this, but that's his fatal flaw, and I think it adds to the the tragedy of his character. Personally, I can't bring myself to hate him, because they've made the tragic aspect of his character really clear- just compare how he was at the very beginning of S1 to how he is now. I can understand those who do dislike him (he's done a lot of things that range from morally questionable to flat-out wrong- poor Lemrina...) and perhaps the tragic aspect of his character isn't convincing enough to move them. It bugs me when people- regardless of whether they like or dislike a character- ignore character depth and backstory, and I've seen a lot of that with regard to that the show (mores on MAL and Tumblr than here, though). I think someone summed my thoughts up best on another thread- Slaine has become a lot less likeable, but infinitely more complex and interesting. The exact opposite happened to Inaho. You win some, you lose some, I guess.

(All this debate around Slaine and the what he deserves/doesn't deserve reminds me of the debate my Lit Class had about A Streetcar Named Desire's Blanche DuBois....)
Let's not put down Bizon here. Anyone who goes as far as that guy did purely based on NTR, deserves a level of respect for his tenacity. Slaine should be honored .

Slaine just put himself in a bad spot and everything is going to crash around him because of it. I can understand his character mostly, but if he took more steps to be open to a few people maybe he wouldn't be in the mess he's putting himself into. Lying to Lemria is just a bad idea when it wasn't really necessary. I think he could have made a more solid base for himself. Just not one that Asseylum would accept because his actions and her ideals are incompatible.
Old 2015-02-28, 19:51   Link #108
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by endarion88 View Post
even if she didnt care about inaho who was wich protected the princess from the assassin right in front of her? inaho, who was that cpr saved the princess right in front of her? inaho..now what did slaine do except begin the responsable for the princess coma in the first place? then ofcourse she have to serve under him, if she didnt who know what they would have done to her..let's not confuse loyality with LACK OF ALTERNATIVES
She wasn't being allowed to see the princess at all. She was basically a prisoner of war since she was captured by Saazbaum's forces, she didn't have many choices, but someone must have stuck up for her, namely Slaine. And I'm sorry, but even after all that Inaho did, at her last meeting with Inaho, she was still frowning heavily at him. That was just her character.

Remember also that Inaho kept rubbing her the wrong way with his insistence on not being formal, or in that at the time, he didn't show off a lot of emotion. Eddelrittuo never became close to him. She's had to spend almost two years with Slaine, with him being the only one to really talk to. She knew him before so he was familiar to her. He stuck up for her, covered for her, cared for Asseylum like she did. And it was in that time that she lost her prejudice towards him and became his friend. Go to any of the scenes with them together, and she is natural with him. She prays for his safety and she worries over him. She tells him everything about the princess and about what she thinks. Slaine has had to lie and put on masks with a lot of people, but he never does with Eddelrittuo when he clearly could. He trusts her, and considering his life, his trust would be hard to earn. It's not just a lack of alternatives, that might have been what began them developing this relationship, but it's not why it persists. They are now friends and have the loyalty of friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchadnis View Post
you know what is THE MOST disturbing thing of this episode? it how this count (i dont care to remember his name) that was so but* hurt when his pal got killed and now is all over lick*ng Slaine's boots .. man really those Count really have no pride at all , this was the MOST and im still trying to stay reasonable weird/ugly moment of this episode . it like ugh just whatever as long they get Aldnoah right they ready to kill their mom
Well, the guy was best friends with that slime, Marylcian, so I'm not surprised. He showed bits of that last week too.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2015-02-28, 19:54   Link #109
tsunade666

Well damn. The end of the episode and few hints shown in between showed that it will be bitter sweet ending at best. For either Slaine and Inaho. But I'm sure the princess will live though not sure for Lem princess but Ase princess who got killed lots of times already just to live. She will probably live again.
Old 2015-02-28, 19:56   Link #110
fbi888

Quote:
i think the point with Eddelrittuo is that while she may think of slaine as the princess friend she is not loyal to him, Eddelrittuo is loyal to Asseylum only. she was on earth with her, she know inaho was the one who protected the princess and saved her many times, she has no reason to obstruct someone who's helping inaho
Agreed. In a way, Eddelrittuo kinda represent the viewers of this show in comparison to changes to Inaho and Slaine as the war goes on. At first, Slaine represent the perfect protagonists of this show. But war and conflicts bring out one's true nature/changes. Eddelrittuo may see that Slaine is doing everything for the princess, but I'm sure she feels that there is something strange/wrong with Slaine's method. The fact that she knows Slaine longer than Inaho gives more credence to her feeling about Slaine and why she choose to help Inaho.

Slaine appears to be the more complex character but one can argue that Inaho displays characteristics of a stronger leader. Moreover, Inaho is able to convince a Vers military leader to consider his view of the fake princess. Inaho maybe 'boring' but he is a leader by unity, something that does not exist in Slaine's emotional vocabulary.
Old 2015-02-28, 20:04   Link #111
endarion88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
She wasn't being allowed to see the princess at all. She was basically a prisoner of war since she was captured by Saazbaum's forces, she didn't have many choices, but someone must have stuck up for her, namely Slaine. And I'm sorry, but even after all that Inaho did, at her last meeting with Inaho, she was still frowning heavily at him. That was just her character.

Remember also that Inaho kept rubbing her the wrong way with his insistence on not being formal, or in that at the time, he didn't show off a lot of emotion. Eddelrittuo never became close to him. She's had to spend almost two years with Slaine, with him being the only one to really talk to. She knew him before so he was familiar to her. He stuck up for her, covered for her, cared for Asseylum like she did. And it was in that time that she lost her prejudice towards him and became his friend. Go to any of the scenes with them together, and she is natural with him. She prays for his safety and she worries over him. She tells him everything about the princess and about what she thinks. Slaine has had to lie and put on masks with a lot of people, but he never does with Eddelrittuo when he clearly could. He trusts her, and considering his life, his trust would be hard to earn. It's not just a lack of alternatives, that might have been what began them developing this relationship, but it's not why it persists. They are now friends and have the loyalty of friends.

Well, the guy was best friends with that slime, Marylcian, so I'm not surprised. He showed bits of that last week too.
still as soon she heard inaho name she agreed to cooperate with mazureek since she did bring the necklace to the princess, even if she doesnt like inaho she know that if it wasn't for him the princess would have been long dead and this are facts she witnesses herself
Old 2015-02-28, 20:11   Link #112
fbi888

Quote:
still as soon she heard inaho name she agreed to cooperate with mazureek since she did bring the necklace to the princess, even if she doesnt like inaho she know that if it wasn't for him the princess would have been long dead and this are facts
It is also true that she knew of Slaine's desire of not wanting the princess to get her memory back. And she still brought the necklace to the princess!
Old 2015-02-28, 20:19   Link #113
Sixth
Nobita

It is funny that there were people still defending Slaine's action after this episode.
Old 2015-02-28, 20:19   Link #114
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweloo View Post

Some of the vocal Slaine bashers have been bashing the character since midway through Season One. I don't think it should be surprising that the quality of the "discussion" surrounding the character's actions tends to be of low quality. A lot of it is people who already hate the character running everything that happens through their pre-existing biases.
Old 2015-02-28, 20:26   Link #115
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
It is funny that there were people still defending Slaine's action after this episode.
Slaine just needs to be defendet against the bashers who just misunderstand that poor little guy.
Old 2015-02-28, 20:30   Link #116
Hidetoshi Nakata
Banned

The title of the next episode, is suggestive, if you guys research the meaning, you guys see the direction of the anime.
"The Fortune's Fool / Beyond the Dream"
"Mugen no Kanata" (夢幻の彼方)
Old 2015-02-28, 20:31   Link #117
Kurohane

I just can't wait until the Deucalion crew get revenge on those three counts. The flaws of one dimensional characters is self-explanatory. Even worse, when their personality is purposefully annoying and vain. Seeing their smug faces everytime they come up on screen just makes me wish they get killed soon.
Old 2015-02-28, 20:38   Link #118
Top Sergeant

I just watched the episode, and Nina Klein (the pilot) said they were dropping at 1,200 feet per second to land and make the pickup of the Kataphractoi.

Real Starship Troopers (the book) stuff!

And just picture it: a Flying Battleship is dropping at you at over Mach 1, brakes right on top of you, you jump on board and they hit the gas and off you go! Dude! I wish I'd had more officers like Magdebridge who would stop at nothing for their troops. I was privileged to have three such. Damn fine fellows.

Looks like there are potential threats to Slain's plans. It will depend not only on what Asseylum remembers, but then what she does with that knowledge. Also Lemria has discovered the empty med tube. She may dissemble and act like she didn't find out, and then try and figure out what's going on, or she may directly confront Slaine. The first option would be safer for her.
Old 2015-02-28, 20:40   Link #119
Hidetoshi Nakata
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
Slaine just needs to be defendet against the bashers who just misunderstand that poor little guy.

A Prince, committed an act of racism.
Spoiler:
Old 2015-02-28, 20:45   Link #120
Irenesharda

Quote:
still as soon she heard inaho name she agreed to cooperate with mazureek since she did bring the necklace to the princess, even if she doesnt like inaho she know that if it wasn't for him the princess would have been long dead and this are facts she witnesses herself
That was only because Mazuurek proved he was telling the truth in regards to knowing about the real princess, it had nothing to do with Slaine. He wanted her to give the necklace to Asseylum and she saw no harm in it so she did as he asked. She knew he had found out the truth about Asseylum but he didn't seem threatening. Mazuurek wasn't threatening either Slaine or Asseylum, that's why she gave it to her.

Nothing about that changes the fact that she and Slaine are friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbi888 View Post
It is also true that she knew of Slaine's desire of not wanting the princess to get her memory back. And she still brought the necklace to the princess!
She didn't know that the necklace would spark the princess' memories, that's why she was surprised she fell over. No one could have known that. Also, Slaine's desire wasn't any kind of command, it was just wishful thinking. She was already getting her memories back, he already knew that. He couldn't stop it. He was just regretful that she did. He never stopped Eddelrittuo from talking about Inaho or the events on Earth, he never told Eddelrittuo what not to say. She is trying to do right by both characters, but she hasn't had to chose between one or the other yet.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Closed Thread