AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Aldnoah.Zero

Notices

View Poll Results: Aldnoah.Zero - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 16 23.19%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 40.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 15.94%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 10.14%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.90%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2015-03-15, 20:07   Link #201
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

In partial defense of Slaine...(yet again)...

Well...this is probably too late given it's already had over the day to ferment...but after something was pointed out to me, I realised that there's another translation problem:

This time, it's the

"Get her involved? She a means to achieving my ends." line

What Slaine actually said was:
「巻き込む?目指す目的の傍らに、姫がいる。それだけの話だ」

The verb ("iru," which I've bolded) is actually ambiguous, as it could mean both 'to be/is' or '(to) need', depending on the kanji. But because of the word 'beside' (傍ら), it's more likely to be 'is'.

Literally, that would be "Get her involved? The princess exists beside the objective I pursue, that's all."

But even if the translator were to come out and say that the kanji was the one for 'need', then it would simply be something like "The princess is needed at the side of the objective I pursue."

=> In English that flows a bit better:
"The princess is a part of the objective I pursue, that's all."

And this follows on from the terrible translation mistake in episode 19 too... It's not just in the show itself, Slaine's luck even in our world is pretty bad, isn't it...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2015-03-15 at 20:20.
Old 2015-03-15, 20:12   Link #202
Syaokura

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Well...this is probably too late given it's already had over the day to ferment...but after something was pointed out to me, I realised that there's another translation problem:

This time, it's the

Literally, that's "Get her involved? The princess exists beside the objective I pursue, that's all it is."

Like in episode 7, the verb is actually ambiguous, as it could mean both 'to be/is' or '(to) need', depending on the kanji. But because of the word 'beside', it's more likely to be 'is'.

"The princess is a part of the objective I pursue, that's all it is."

And this follows on from the terrible translation mistake in episode 19 too... It's not just in the show itself, Slaine's luck even in our world is pretty bad, isn't it...
I'm disliking the Crunchyroll subbers more and more with every translation error they post. Such incompetence! But thanks for posting this!

Poor Slaine, he'll forever be a walking bad luck dispenser.
Old 2015-03-15, 20:20   Link #203
leelee85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaokura View Post
I'm disliking the Crunchyroll subbers more and more with every translation error they post. Such incompetence! But thanks for posting this!

Poor Slaine, he'll forever be a walking bad luck dispenser.
Not as incompetent as the UFE after attempting to murder Asshime without knowing about another princess.
Old 2015-03-15, 20:31   Link #204
Hidetoshi Nakata
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelee85 View Post
Not as incompetent as the UFE after attempting to murder Asshime without knowing about another princess.
Who is to blame, of Asseylum have destroyed your name and image, and become the enemy of the Terrans?

Spoiler:

Old 2015-03-15, 20:35   Link #205
leelee85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidetoshi Nakata View Post
Who is to blame, of Asseylum have destroyed your name and image, and become the enemy of the Terrans?

Saazbaum first of all then Lemrina and of course Slaine and the higher ups for not listening to Inaho.
Old 2015-03-15, 21:02   Link #206
Hidetoshi Nakata
Banned

This occurred after the death of Saazbaum.
Old 2015-03-15, 21:28   Link #207
monster

Quote:
You can't blame incompetence on the part of Earth when the Martians themselves do not appear to know about Lemrina.
Old 2015-03-15, 21:30   Link #208
leelee85

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
You can't blame incompetence on the part of Earth when the Martians themselves do not appear to know about Lemrina.
Yeah but what about the Deaculion crew being sent on suicide mission
Old 2015-03-15, 21:33   Link #209
monster

Quote:
Yeah but what about the Deaculion crew being sent on suicide mission
It's their best crew as far as we know. If they're going to attack, then might as well send them.
Old 2015-03-15, 23:27   Link #210
Hidetoshi Nakata
Banned

Here we have a great curiosity.
Did you know that Slaine of all the main characters of mecha anime, the one who spent less time inside a Mecha, which had the lowest number of battles, and had hardly any presence on the battlefield.
Old 2015-03-15, 23:48   Link #211
Oboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
This show is like a reverse mirror or in music a Mirror canon from the first to the second cour:
Vers start a REAL war with a FAKE assassination of a REAL princess
Terrans try stop the FAKE war with a REAL assassination of a FAKE princess (since the hime UFC saw in the broadcasts was Lemrina)
Old 2015-03-16, 01:22   Link #212
Asuras
Dictadere~!

So Inaho's eye is an AI now. He can program AI now too? Or is Earth just not using AI elsewhere? =_=
Old 2015-03-16, 05:08   Link #213
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post

This time, it's the

The verb ("iru," which I've bolded) is actually ambiguous, as it could mean both 'to be/is' or '(to) need', depending on the kanji. But because of the word 'beside' (傍ら), it's more likely to be 'is'.

Literally, that would be "Get her involved? The princess exists beside the objective I pursue, that's all."

But even if the translator were to come out and say that the kanji was the one for 'need', then it would simply be something like "The princess is needed at the side of the objective I pursue."

"The princess is a part of the objective I pursue, that's all."

mmm, I'm starting to think that they are doing it deliberately. As like before the two translating options the view of them on the show step in making choose for the more fitting this view of them. I do it myself more than I should
This show is so damn polarizing that I'm still impressed how the VAs are in such a good terms with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oboro View Post
This show is like a reverse mirror or in music a Mirror canon from the first to the second cour:
Vers start a REAL war with a FAKE assassination of a REAL princess
Terrans try stop the FAKE war with a REAL assassination of a FAKE princess (since the hime UFC saw in the broadcasts was Lemrina)
That's a perfect definition, I like it. And this show definitely damn loves to mirror itself, I can see reflections everywhere.

The most obvious this episode was about the pendants, if we don't count Inaho/Slaine second "meeting". And then this one also about killing the princess.

About that I wanted so say that in the end as the duo Saazbaum/Slaine keeps endangering/attempting to Asseylum's life. First Saaz tried to kill her. Then he almost did it thanks to Slaine. And finally, since they destroyed her image the Earth is now trying to eliminate her. And that's why I was always so harsh toward Slaine about him using her in this way. Because it wasn't just using her image as some viewers tried to argue. And I'm glad the show, as usual, didn't let this thread die. Considering Slaine trend I'm not sure if he won't try to kill her himself in the end. Very unlikely of course, but this show subtle foreshadowing hints usually never lie.

About the Slaine's pendant that is back to his owner now I'm wondering if it does hide some secrets or it was just the symbol of wrong love. I know that is sound rude, but all considered, Slaine's attachment toward the princess, and how much luck this pendant brought with it to Asseylum, the message is not that far from it.

Eddelrittuo demonstrated once again that she cares only for Asseylum. She didn't even considered Inaho anymore the moment he mentioned an escape route. And she kept using herself as a shield to protect her. Good girl!

About their new meeting I honestly have no problem in Inaho missing Slaine. He actually was on near its last legs due to his eye so again the show took the time to nerf him. On the other hand if I'd have to nitpick, it's slaine that missed his hit being in a favorable position and from behind. But the occasion was too delicious to bother nitpicking, come on. I liked it a lot.
On a side note, Inaho's "you were all along" remark about Slaine being an enemy says how he was 'til then still dubious about him. Saying how he wasn't so sure about the choice he made back then, he just had to make it. And as I always said he made the right call, as the show implied.
About Slaine response, well, nothing to add, but really, again I remember at the end of S1 all the debate on why Slaine fired him so cold-bloodedly.

Now I'm curious to see, surely Inaho will be rescued by EUF, since they need him and I can't see him being "rescued" by Slaine. Despite I won't mind Slaine having him for a couple of hours. Despite my take on the matter Inaho deserves a bit of torturing after all, and it would be glorious to see Slaine inherit even Crutheo's sides in him, after Saazbaum. But no, I admit it wouldn't fit him.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2015-03-16, 08:22   Link #214
LKK

I've been thinking about what the Captain said after her staff briefing. "I knew you [Inaho] would approach me." Why did she know he would approach her? Could it be that the two have colluded before? Perhaps back when Inaho arranged the count's escape? Did the Captain provide behind the scene support? Or at the very least, does she know now what Inaho did?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2015-03-16, 09:16   Link #215
Arya

^ My take on that part is that for some reasons EUF plan was odd to begin with. Oddness more evident for soldiers as Magbaredge and so for Inaho to let them see though EUF plans. They smelled it.
Maybe for different reasons, Magbaredge actually could not care personally for Asseylum, both know that Asseylum is pivotal for any kind of relation with Mars. So they sorted out a plan to rescue her.
That could make us think she was aware of Inaho's plans for Mazuurek, even if I don't think so. He wouldn't have any problems involving Inko if that was the case. Despite that, the idea would be cool and I can see I being possible after this episode.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2015-03-16, 09:43   Link #216
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I've been thinking about what the Captain said after her staff briefing. "I knew you [Inaho] would approach me." Why did she know he would approach her? Could it be that the two have colluded before? Perhaps back when Inaho arranged the count's escape? Did the Captain provide behind the scene support? Or at the very least, does she know now what Inaho did?
They most likely just came up with the same conclusion that the Operation was only a distraction to hide the true goal of assassinating the princess.

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
Old 2015-03-16, 11:37   Link #217
casiopao

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
As you say, she was in a coma.

The screentime she got in S2 was her being stuck in a fish bowl. Folks who suddenly hate her now because she didn't develop as a character ignore this lack of screen time. Compare her to some other major character, Slaine for example, everybody agreed he's had very wonky character development in S1, with the authors not really showing where they want to take him. However, he's grown spades in S2. He was given time to develop, Asseylum was not.

What's wrong here isn't Asseylum's development, what's wrong is that we were presented with an adorable character and the authors decided to stuck her inside a fish bowl for over half a season. Now anything she says is either outdated, naive, unrealistic, unsophisticated ... Gosh, I wonder why? She got stuck in a fucking fish bowl. The only function she serves right now is Slaine's object of desire and simultaneously being background contrast to his deplorable course of action. She quite literally became a plot device for this second season.

If I can quote Lemrina: "Everything turned to shit once you woke up." I can agree to this, but not to your analysis that she doesn't care for Vers or anything like that. I'd say she cares far more than Slaine or Orbital Knights ever will, up to a degree most royalty would. You can argue she's been sheltered and doesn't really have the bond to care about commoners, but that's exactly why she got educated into a symbol for her people. If hunger for power prevented Terrans and Vers to have a healthy dialog, her coming down to Earth to have a good-will mission is the best she could've done for her people. On her own, she's just a powerless symbol that can't even shoot a gun at point blank to take back control of the war.
Just like what Fairy water said here, From S1 to S2 here(Bad S2 though for Seylum character growth) What we see here is Seylum wanted to look for peace with the Earth after the war and communication break down between the both sides. However we never hear,see or know anything about what really the lower class Vertian wanted.

Did they really even wanted peace? Or what they wanted more is Status Equality in Vers Empire like what Saazbaum wanted to achieve? Or even worst, what they wanted is War as they wanted the Earth resource. We never knew if the princess tries to find out there as we believed that she is sheltered by the royals and of course also feed with information from the Counts that everything is more or less great in the country and the Terrans and Earth is the wrong thing.(Which kinda tx to Slaine that she end up not being so racist to Earth people)

If what the people of Vers actually wanted is Status Equality or even war there, i don't we can said that Hime actually cares more about the people more than Slaine here.(Well the Orbital Knights is sure as hell don't give a damn about the lower class people here except maybe Saazbaum.) Slaine is seen as the rising hero for the lower class people he also give a Suit for Harklight who is a low born. While the intention may not be pure, in the eyes of the lower class Vers, i believe that Slaine must be seen as a better person than Hime.

Once again, i believe the lack of exposition and explanation is hurting many character in this show.T_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy Water View Post
She only knows the good sides of everything even her grand-father, her tutor, the knights ~
I mean she doesnt understand her people and never try to
her people want war while the princess wants a pink world, of course they would want to take down a useless leader.

yeah... just as u said, the best/least thing she could've done for her people is asking for peace. The point is, from ep1 of ss1 till now, we havent seen a Terrans want peace. Is it really what her people want or only Asseylum's imagination?

Ikr s.o on Inaho's side should die, Inko is good but I want Yuki-nee.
Support characters just need to be friend with Inaho and they will survive till last episode.
This is my point of view here. She never really seen to try herself to see what does the lower class Vers wanted. Does they wanted peace with Earth? Or they actually wanted equality more in the Vers empire. If the Vers people both the knight and the lower class actually wanted war for themselves, don't it contradict with what the Hime is doing?

While i agree she will had some difficulties of trying her selves to sneak to the lower class Vers to check their life, if there are a will there should be answers. Maybe i am much into Legend of Galactic Heroes Reinhard here lol.^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
If Hitler was right in front of you, would you not shoot?

One thing she did learn, back in S1, was the frustration of the commoners. I mean Rayet expressed her anger pretty well. I think she understands.
I think this quite a crazy question though. But it all depends on ur position? If u know Hitler from his young time and his best friend, i believe u are also going to be hesitating. Not to forget if u know that he is kinda doing all of these thing because of u.

For the Rayet one, i don't really know here as Rayet family is rather than lower class family, they are one hell of a spy/assassin family lol.^_^
Old 2015-03-16, 11:46   Link #218
Sixth
Nobita

What if Inaho himself pretend to AI to confess? In this way, he can save face if Asseylum rejected his confession. Brilliant move, Inaho.
Old 2015-03-16, 11:55   Link #219
casiopao

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
What if Inaho himself pretend to AI to confess? In this way, he can save face if Asseylum rejected his confession. Brilliant move, Inaho.
Well, we can said that Inaho had perfectly predicted the best way to confess there.^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Hmmmm..... after u mention that, i can kinda see that. I mean, it is not easy for Mazureek to escape especially when he is the only Count that they had captured there. The Captain helping him would be more logical there.^_^

Even though, i am kinda confused on how Inaho think that EF is going to kill Seylum when there are no clue or anything that EF is going to kill Seylum there.
Maybe intuition?
Old 2015-03-16, 12:08   Link #220
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by casiopao View Post

Even though, i am kinda confused on how Inaho think that EF is going to kill Seylum when there are no clue or anything that EF is going to kill Seylum there.
Maybe intuition?
Easiest way to shut down Aldnoah dives is to kill their activators. Also killing Asseylum ends the Vers Regalia line that means no one left to give Aldnoah activation rights once old Ray kicks the bucket.

What they don't know is that there is spare and she should be the primary target.
Closed Thread