AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > School Rumble

Notices

View Poll Results: SR Second Term Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 27 40.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 37.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 15.15%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-30, 01:29   Link #21
friendshipz
lilian gakuen

for me school rumble 2 intrigued me to wanna look forward for the next esp...

but for haruhi anime..well the first 2 esp was the most hilarious plots for this month anime,but once it start esp 3 and onwards..my interest for that anime just deteriorating on going ..i was emotionless while watching esp 4 >_>"

yah, and the pv was cute...ahh in the sense of only the singer not the rest
Old 2006-04-30, 03:39   Link #22
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

This one translated great from the manga as well.

I also laughed at Harima's Sailor Moon Luna boxers. And was that pedobear I saw on Hanai's boxers? Or maybe it was just any old bear.
Old 2006-04-30, 04:03   Link #23
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Not a great episode, I thought. As far as SR eps are concerned, this was pretty much more of the same from last season, ie Eri failing to be honest with herself and Harima saying/doing something to blow any chance of the relationship forming, only to do something to get Eri back onside, making it seem as if progress has been made, except not.

It's the thing that just absolutely irritates me about SR, because I know it's going to happen over and over and over until the end of this season... and possibly after that if they decide again to do an inconclusive ending and another season after that.

I thought the onigiri scene was too overcooked. I chuckled a bit, but it wasn't a "LMAO" moment. Hanai x Harima was. That was the comedic highlight in this episode, IMO.

Anyway, I wasn't impressed by this ep. It's episodes like these that make me glad that SR is hilarious more often than not, because if I were watching this purely for the story I'd have cracked my skull by now from banging my head against a wall in frustration.
Old 2006-04-30, 11:31   Link #24
Trax
Rock beats scissors

SR does go overboard with the neverending misunderstandings, which can get frustrating sometimes. It would be kinda nice to actually see some real development for once that isn't covered up by yet another misunderstanding.

But most importantly, after being disappointed at episode 2 and somewhat at episode 3, this one was SR as it should be.

Onigiri. Brilliant. 8.
Old 2006-04-30, 15:46   Link #25
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
It's the thing that just absolutely irritates me about SR, because I know it's going to happen over and over and over until the end of this season... and possibly after that if they decide again to do an inconclusive ending and another season after that...because if I were watching this purely for the story I'd have cracked my skull by now from banging my head against a wall in frustration.
Heh heh, you're still complaining about this? That fact that it's still bugging you tells me that you're not accepting this aspect of SR. Yes, the presence of misinterpretations is so prominent in the series that it's almost expected and predictable (For example, this episode's onigiri scene. It was easily anticipated that the first onigiri tasted by Harima was Eri's and the second was Tenma's). But like I said before, the "story/plot" is just the basis for the comedy, and of course comedy is a main component of SR. If there aren’t any of these misunderstandings, there wouldn't be any of this SR's style of high school relationship humor. It's hard to imagine SR being SR without this perpetual state of mix-ups. It's an essential mechanism to produce its type of comedy. While a valid criticism of a flaw, for the sake of enjoyment, one just needs to accept this quirk of this series and simply enjoy its brand of humor that arises from this.

That said, episode 04 returns closer to some old fashioned SR. While not the best it has to offer, it's a good, Eri sympathetic, episode. It was fairly amusing, and I like the increased spotlight on her, as it exposes more of her softer side. I'm partial to Eri's character. This episode definitely garners some support for the "flag" faction.
Old 2006-04-30, 16:16   Link #26
FlyByNite

I hope another male is introduced who could be a potential interest for Yakumo because I really want to root for Eri X Harima, but I love Yakumo and feel bad if she's alone.
Old 2006-04-30, 20:39   Link #27
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Smile

I enjoyed this episode a lot, myself. The flag moments were diluted in the manga. This episode, by contrast, was much more... concentrated. Eri was definitely at her best, though. This one gets my first 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
It's episodes like these that make me glad that SR is hilarious more often than not, because if I were watching this purely for the story I'd have cracked my skull by now from banging my head against a wall in frustration.
If the anime goes far enough into the story, you'll start to see some real progress. Don't worry about that.
Old 2006-04-30, 22:42   Link #28
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
Heh heh, you're still complaining about this? That fact that it's still bugging you tells me that you're not accepting this aspect of SR.
I see it as a necessary evil. Doesn't mean I have to like it, though.
Old 2006-05-01, 00:17   Link #29
Xinil
Blargh

Send a message via ICQ to Xinil Send a message via AIM to Xinil
I think we're all equally frustrated, Sorrow. I just deal with it by making fun of Tenma and hating Karasuma. Without them, everyone would be happy. 'course we wouldn't really have a School Rumble now, would we?
Old 2006-05-01, 15:13   Link #30
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Harima's reactions to the Onigiri tasting were priceless.

I also thought the beginning with Hanai was totally hilarious and
disturbing. What was almost more funny was the reactions of the
girls reading it - they looked more and more weirded-out yet they
wanted to read more! heh.
Old 2006-05-01, 22:21   Link #31
shikamarufoo

Great episode following the whole "battle" thing...Lots of Eri x Harima misunderstanding which was hilarious. Also the onigiri scenes with the exploding volcano, where did that come from lol.
Overall Perfect 10 IMO.
Old 2006-05-02, 13:57   Link #32
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Another thought...

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-03, 20:48   Link #33
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb
Another thought...

Spoiler:
Well, flag had its apex at the sports festival, Flute had its apex in the survival game and its immediate aftermath.

MORE FLUTE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2006-05-04, 14:13   Link #34
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
Well, flag had its apex at the sports festival, Flute had its apex in the survival game and its immediate aftermath.

MORE FLUTE!!!!!!!!!!
I'm surprised to see you say that.
We haven't seen Flag's apex, yet - not by a long shot. The sports festival is a fairly minor event in the big picture of Harima x Eri. I'm not even sure that Flag has an apex, for that matter.

The flute obsession never really caught on with me, though. I'm much more amused by a different Hanai love triangle.

Last edited by Swampstorm; 2006-05-04 at 14:27.
Old 2006-05-05, 03:28   Link #35
mtarzaim

An absolutetly great episode !

As a flag supporter, I obviously enjoyed how Eri and Harima are interacting, with Akira's 'help".
Finally, Eri realised why she's in love with Harima (question during the bath scene). And again, Harima turned into super Baka-jin to blow up the mood.

The Menu scene was also excellent, and Yakumo showing up was unexpected.
About that, I wonder why did she have sided ponytails. It's the first time I see Yakumo like that (one back ponytail usually). Were they made by chance ... or did she overhearded Harima's answer while waiting outside the class ?
The timing seemed too much perfect to be "by chance" ...

We also saw the relation between Akira and Eri, showing a less frozen part of our 007. I hope we'll see how those two have met each others, and if Eri had something to do in Akira being a part of the Tenma's gang.

And Akira bullying Eri with a hammer was cute too !

Onigiri scenes (Mamoth vs horse) were priceless, especially with the background getting closer and closer as Harima forcing himself to swallow them up !

Conclusion : Flag HAS to be the only acceptable ending ! ! ! ! !

10/10 is the lowest note I could give.

Old 2006-05-05, 04:26   Link #36
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

episode 3 was a big let down to me, so much that i really didnt have motivation to watch episode 4, but i sure am glad i saved it since it was so good.

the food tasting part was so funny, u knew it was going to happen, but with the sound effects and the repeating pictures in the background that was so good.
Old 2006-05-05, 20:54   Link #37
Karnot
Banned

Uh, what all the hype about onigiris ? That scene is totally PLAIN, not as funny as you want it to be, just really boring. Partly because of too overused frames. And partly because Akane Tendo was invented several decades ago.

Now, scripts reading part, and "menu" questions, those were fun.

Also all around people yammer about some stupid flag, whats that all about ?
Old 2006-05-06, 07:44   Link #38
otacu
Flag forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnot
Uh, what all the hype about onigiris ? That scene is totally PLAIN, not as funny as you want it to be, just really boring. Partly because of too overused frames. And partly because Akane Tendo was invented several decades ago.

Now, scripts reading part, and "menu" questions, those were fun.

Also all around people yammer about some stupid flag, whats that all about ?
Long live the Flag!
Old 2006-05-08, 14:24   Link #39
aliensporebomb

Ah, someone else agrees that Flute would be intriguing.

I do see other possibilities for Hanai (sorry, not Yakumo though he might
want that) but I will await the coming of later episodes to confirm my suspicion.