Notices

Old 2015-06-18, 20:31   Link #1901
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingUranium View Post
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Why is one girl doing the Vulcan salute, and the one next to her doing the reverse-Vulcan salute?
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-18, 20:40   Link #1902
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

You're treading the line on spoilers there, deadite. If you want to discuss whatever you're trying to hint at, take it to the appropriate thread (which is not this one).
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-18, 21:46   Link #1903
BleedingUranium
Who has the most fun wins

Edit: Arg you deleted your post. Well too bad, I'm keeping this part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
Clearly, one is a secret Vulcan agent, while the other is a secret Romulan agent.
If we don't learn their names, they shall be Vulcan-chan and Romulan-chan.

We also have Kermit-chan and Planet-chan, as well as Seal Pup-chan. Camera-chan is Shoko Hagiwara. There are also those two on the far left of the Clarinets touching fingers.

Images

Edit #2: Preview for Kumiko's character album is out! The three tracks are:

明日へのEuphony (Is this "Ashita E No" or "Ashita He No"?)

BrushUp × BrassUp

北宇治四重奏 第1番 ユーフォニアム (Which is "Kitauji Shijuusou Dai 1-ban Euphonium" I'm pretty sure)

Plus the instrumental versions of the first two.

To my knowledge, two character songs per album is par for the course, and it seems Hibike! is doing something similar to what K-ON! did with Let's Go and Come With Me!!. In K-ON!'s case they each had the same third song on all the albums, sung by each of them, while here it looks like we'll have a different performance by the Kitauji Quartet in each album, and it's legitimately just the four main girls in the Quartet piece too.

Last edited by BleedingUranium; 2015-06-18 at 22:39.
BleedingUranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 00:51   Link #1904
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Doing a little review of the year distribution, based on the image cards.

Caveats:

1) This excludes the percussion section since we don't have a card on them yet.

2) There's a boy in the tenor sax section whose year we can't see, but he's in the audition line for the saxaphones in episode 2, so assuming he's a first year.

(corrected numbers)

Overall, we have 21 first years, 14 second years, and 28 third years.

Of those cut, 6 were first years, 3 were second years, and Aoi dropped out voluntarily. Aside from Aoi, no third year was cut.

Of all sections that had someone cut, they all lost just 1 person, except for trumpets who lost 2.

Shuichi was one of two freshmen boys to join the club (along with the boy on sax). Compared to about 19 new girls.

Opening credit stuff...

On the concert shot, is it me, or are there only 53 people playing, instead of 55?

There are two percussion instruments with nobody on them.

Reviewing who 'should' be there:

5 trumpets. Check.
5 trombones. Check.
4 horns. Check.
2 euphoniums. Check.
2 tubas. Check.
1 contrabass. Check.
7 flute/piccolo. Check. (second row, working from the left edge to the center)
2 tenor sax. Check. (third row, on the far right edge)
1 baritone sax. Check. (Haruka; third seat in from the right on the third row)
4 alto sax. Check. (second row, starting from the right edge)
10 clarinets (out of 12 for clarinet + bass clarinet). Entire arc of the first row.
2 bass clarinets (boy and girl to the left of the bassoon)
1 bassoon. (two seats to the left of Haruka) (not on card yet?)

For percussion, we have:
2 first-year girls (bass drum and cymbols)
1 third-year girl (xylophone-like thing whose name I can't remember)
1 second-year(?) girl on the kettle drums
1 boy (year unknown) on the snare drum.

Unidentified:

Second row, in between the 7th flute and the 4th alto sax: 1 girl, unknown instrument
Third row, between Haruka and the bassoonist: 1 girl, unknown instrument

Totalling 53. The two missing percussionists would push it to 55, though two of the girls have no identified instrument.

From the classroom spin-around shot, there should be a green-haired girl on the xylophone, and two bassoonists (both third year).

... Aha! BleedingUranium is missing the card from episode 2: Oboe and fagott (bassoon). Oboeist is the girl between flutes and sax (lilac hair), and there are two more girls, presumably both on bassoon (both third years, as seen in the room-spin of the opening), though I can only see the instrument for one of them.

Allowing for the two missing percussionists, that's a total of 65 students, as it should be.

Anyway, nothing important here; just getting a handle on the instrument and by-year distribution.
Old 2015-06-19, 00:57   Link #1905
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
You got to gather yourself a bit
Sorry I couldn't answer earlier, but THANKS A LOT. Now the whisperings has stopped. I really liked this bit...

Quote:
But in ep11, it is intentionally leaving out the subject and say "....want to get better." So it is intentionally leaving blank for imagination. Since they are not in conversation there is no way to insert "we" in this case. But it was Kumiko looking over Shuiichi and comment, it can be interpreted as both "He wants to get better" and "I want to get better", and as a result it can be interpreted as "I see that he really wants to get better, and I can understand/so do I".
I knew something was lost in translation. I was actually debating with my friend IRL about this (both of us are pretty much illiterate in Japanese), and he brought up a great point in that it being translated as "we" is actually weaker for the ship.

This is because if it was strictly "I want to get better", this means that Shuichi practicing is encouraging Kumiko to get better. On the other hand, if translated as "I hope we can get better", this can actually mean that instead, Kumiko is pitying Shuichi's slump and the 'we' is just her echoing their conversation in eps 8.

Which is pretty much the same as "I see that he really wants to get better, and I can understand".

Quote:
Good news for you, she notice his hardship and care for the childhood friend.
All I actually wanted from that scene, as even I'm not that delusional that the two will date this season. Still as confident that the next arc would be 'friendship repair arc' dosed with preparation for the actual competition, and this pretty much nails my confidence down. ALL IN!

Heck, I'm even going out on a limb and even predict that Kumiko and Shuichi will practice together by the riverside sometime before the series ends (there was the latter part of their conversation in eps 8 where Kumiko declines 'no my eupho is too heavy'). I just hope that doesn't ruin my track record, but hey, you either you go big or go home.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 02:22   Link #1906
chaosprophet

Quote:
明日へのEuphony (Is this "Ashita E No" or "Ashita He No"?)
Both are correct. "へ" is generally "he" but when used as a particle (like in this case) it sounds "e". Both romanizations works here, "he" if your priority is showing the actual kana used and "e" if your priority is to show the correct sound.
Old 2015-06-19, 02:39   Link #1907
Takigan

Quote:
We also have Kermit-chan and Planet-chan, as well as Seal Pup-chan.
Seal Pup-chan is Fukui-chan. We don't know her family name yet. Shuichi referenced both Fukui and Akamatsu as the two other T-bone 1st years back in episode 8 and names Akamatsu as the one with the reddish hair right before he asks Kumiko to Agata-matsuri (the summer festival). The other (seal-pup) is Fukui by elimination.

Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
Unidentified:

Second row, in between the 7th flute and the 4th alto sax: 1 girl, unknown instrument

Totalling 53. The two missing percussionists would push it to 55, though two of the girls have no identified instrument.

From the classroom spin-around shot, there should be a green-haired girl on the xylophone, and two bassoonists (both third year)...

...Allowing for the two missing percussionists, that's a total of 65 students, as it should be.
I had a lot of trouble following your analysis (though it's still interesting stuff). This chart made by several redditors (I inserted the english names) has already done a lot of the footwork for you (each colored circle surrounding their face is their grade). Think you could point out the missing individuals on this chart to make it easier for those interested?

Images
Takigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 02:43   Link #1908
Soshishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
I guess Taki's instruments is a bit spoilery because it explains why he acts towards a particular section of the band. To bad it won't be revealed in the anime seeing as its reveled in a later volume.
I'm guessing it's trombone since he always seems to be giving the trombones a hard time. That and out of all the instruments in the band, I can kinda see him playing trombone. Though imo, he kinda seems like the piano/violin guy. Hmm, I don't think he's trumpet, and I doubt he plays any bass instruments. Horn isn't really important in the series so I doubt it's that, along with clarinet, oboe, percussion, and bassoon. Other than maybe flute(just cause I think it'd suit him) and sax I don't see him playing any of the woodwinds.
Soshishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 02:46   Link #1909
Takigan

Could a mod maybe delete the original deadite hairline-spoiler? Even though it's not a spoiler in itself, it's pretty serious spoiler-bait considering people keep trying to push the line and elaborate on it....
Takigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 03:39   Link #1910
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takigan View Post
I had a lot of trouble following your analysis (though it's still interesting stuff). This chart made by several redditors (I inserted the english names) has already done a lot of the footwork for you (each colored circle surrounding their face is their grade). Think you could point out the missing individuals on this chart to make it easier for those interested?
The ones that were missing were the oboe and bassoonists (which Uranium didn't include the card from episode 2 for, in his collection, so it took me a bit to come across them).

Quote:
Lavender hair, this would be Miss Oboe, #62.
Quote:
Looking at the bassoonist I'd identified, that's Rana Kitamura, section leader, #63. So I assume the unidentified girl next to her is the other bassoonist, #64, though it's difficult to identify the instrument. I think it's just the angle making the red of the bassoon look like the shadow of something behind her.

Meanwhile, the percussion section is supposed to have 6 (three 1st, one 2nd, two 3rd). There are 5 present in the concert hall: two 3rd years, two 1st years, and the one on the kettle drums that I think is the 2nd year. That leaves one 1st year cut.

64 total (I miscounted), minus Aoi, puts 63 in the band. 53 present in the concert image, and 10 cut due to auditions -- 2 trumpets, and 1 each of: clarinet, flute, horn, trombone, euphonium, tuba, alto sax, and percussion.

Total proper count by grade is 22 (two boys), 14, 28 (including Aoi).

Thanks for the general image; it's handy. Though it seems to be missing a number of the main cast's English names, as well as Miss Oboe's English name (Mizore? a rather unusual name).
Old 2015-06-19, 04:08   Link #1911
larethian

Quote:
But in ep11, it is intentionally leaving out the subject and say "....want to get better." So it is intentionally leaving blank for imagination. Since they are not in conversation there is no way to insert "we" in this case.
What...... uh no. Subjects are normally omitted unless there is a need to be explicit or to express emphasis.

Quote:
Since they are not in conversation there is no way to insert "we" in this case. But it was Kumiko looking over Shuiichi and comment, it can be interpreted as both "He wants to get better" and "I want to get better", and as a result it can be interpreted as "I see that he really wants to get better, and I can understand/so do I".
You can feel free to make your own inferences and build up on what Kumiko may be thinking 'in addition' to what she was actually saying (especially since she was misty-eyed and stuff ). But if we are talking strictly about what was being said, it cannot be taken as such, as you can't use -tai to express the desire/wish of another person. So there was absolutely nothing wrong with the translation, and thus in this particular scene, Kumiko was clearly expressing her personal wish to become better (with respect to what was being said). Like I mentioned of course, you can freely make other inferences on what other things she might be thinking if that's what you perceive.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 04:19   Link #1912
Pen3

Yeah no way only one bassoonist made it because those two are the cutest side characters. The flute section leader #5 and trombone girl #40 is cute too.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 07:32   Link #1913
Soshishi

Kumiko also said "let's get good" (and used "umaku") in ep 6 when she was eating ice cream with Midori and Hazuki and Hazuki was saying how she wanted to get better at tuba. She also said she wanted to work harder(ganbaru? I'm not that familiar with Japanese, but pretty sure that's what she said) after hearing Reina play From the New World and said it was inspirational. There are quite a few people who inspire her to do better. However, this was the second time Shuichi has said it, he mentioned it when they were sitting in the bus and said "let's do our best" before Sunfes and also ep 8 when talking about making it to nationals and how they've gotten "umaku" and Kumiko mentions she(or rather we) wants to get even more "umaku"(which I'm assuming means "better"). Of course, I think it's a stretch to assume this is referring to their relationship. At least, in ep 8 it's quite clear she's talking about everyone and nationals. Ep 11 it seems more personal. Kinda like how hearing Reina personally inspired her, hearing Shuichi try harder seems to have done the same. I find it odd she didn't go to help Shuichi out or at least encourage him to do better when she saw him struggling but whatever. Guess it would take precious time away from KumikoxReina.
Soshishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 08:04   Link #1914
Shirohige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
There's subtle, and then there's "looking for something that's not there", and I'm afraid this is the latter. Sorry Dragoon, but it's getting obnoxious, and that means one thing...

*adds to the magical list*
I feel sorry for him
Shirohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 12:13   Link #1915
Marina2

Ep.12 preview is on the website (still only images and text)
http://anime-eupho.com/story/12/

Spoiler for ep.12 preview comment:
Old 2015-06-19, 12:14   Link #1916
deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soshishi View Post
Kumiko also said "let's get good" (and used "umaku") in ep 6 when she was eating ice cream with Midori and Hazuki and Hazuki was saying how she wanted to get better at tuba. She also said she wanted to work harder(ganbaru? I'm not that familiar with Japanese, but pretty sure that's what she said) after hearing Reina play From the New World and said it was inspirational. There are quite a few people who inspire her to do better. However, this was the second time Shuichi has said it, he mentioned it when they were sitting in the bus and said "let's do our best" before Sunfes and also ep 8 when talking about making it to nationals and how they've gotten "umaku" and Kumiko mentions she(or rather we) wants to get even more "umaku"(which I'm assuming means "better"). Of course, I think it's a stretch to assume this is referring to their relationship. At least, in ep 8 it's quite clear she's talking about everyone and nationals. Ep 11 it seems more personal. Kinda like how hearing Reina personally inspired her, hearing Shuichi try harder seems to have done the same. I find it odd she didn't go to help Shuichi out or at least encourage him to do better when she saw him struggling but whatever. Guess it would take precious time away from KumikoxReina.
I think it's mostly that Kumiko and Shuichi are not in speaking terms yet since episode 8 ordeal.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 13:42   Link #1917
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
...you can't use -tai to express the desire/wish of another person. So there was absolutely nothing wrong with the translation, and thus in this particular scene, Kumiko was clearly expressing her personal wish to become better (with respect to what was being said). Like I mentioned of course, you can freely make other inferences on what other things she might be thinking if that's what you perceive....
Thanks for setting us (me) straight on this, both because your understanding of the Japanese seems correct to me and because it's what I want to hear, lol. "-tai" is expressing your own wish: "I want to get better," not "he wants to get better."

Reasons for her misty eyes could include her own desperation to get better, her being impressed that Shuuichi is trying so hard, and her still feeling embarrassed and off-balance around him. I don't actually "perceive" any of that, it's all inference.

One of the things that makes actually communicating in Japanese hard for me is that people seem so good at inferring things from context. Maybe we seem the same to them, but I don't think so. I think we (English-speakers) seem like clumsy people who batter each other with words, expressing every single thing and not leaving any space for people to remain private.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 14:01   Link #1918
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Giving a try at translating the text. Any corrections are welcome
Spoiler for ep12 text pv:

Looking even more forward to next episode.
Old 2015-06-19, 14:09   Link #1919
Alf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
There is at least one more possibility (for the SS KxS): looking at Suiichi with her 'earthquake trembling eyes,' she could have been remembering the previous conversation and thinking to herself, "We both... want to get better."
There's a clear distance between them while interpreting as "We both" would be linking the two of them together so that could be a misleading interpretation. But sure, this looks like having some kind of empathy to him and may hint such link for the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
What...... uh no. Subjects are normally omitted unless there is a need to be explicit or to express emphasis.

You can feel free to make your own inferences and build up on what Kumiko may be thinking 'in addition' to what she was actually saying (especially since she was misty-eyed and stuff ). But if we are talking strictly about what was being said, it cannot be taken as such, as you can't use -tai to express the desire/wish of another person. So there was absolutely nothing wrong with the translation, and thus in this particular scene, Kumiko was clearly expressing her personal wish to become better (with respect to what was being said). Like I mentioned of course, you can freely make other inferences on what other things she might be thinking if that's what you perceive.
Yeah, in terms of translation it will be obviously "I", thanks for pointing that out. I was actually making an interpretation with minimal modification rather than translation, and I was taking the context of the camera work that make Kumiko looks like reading deep into Shuiichi's back and sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soshishi View Post
I find it odd she didn't go to help Shuichi out or at least encourage him to do better when she saw him struggling but whatever. Guess it would take precious time away from KumikoxReina.
It's been shown in ep9 that after Shuiichi greets her the sat in a distance, and the distance between them are getting farther in the same episode, then no reference to the poor guy make him feel more distance to the audience and thus Kumiko as well. With that distance and dragging on indecision between them, it is hard for her to take that step to help him.

Now that Reina is a major support to Kumiko, Kumiko's action will have sufficient reference to Reina so taking a little time for repairing the friendship wouldn't hurt. Or rather, it could be Reina's turn to give Kumiko the courage to repair the friendship.
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 14:19   Link #1920
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
http://anime-eupho.com/story/12/

Spoiler for ep.12 preview comment:
Natsuki looks mischievous as fack. And Reina looks kowai in a cool way.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
band, high school drama, music, orchestra