AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-08-19, 16:36   Link #161
Dop
Mmmm....

Wow. When Angelo gave the gun back to Frate, I figured he'd left one bullet in for Frate to "do the decent thing", as they used to say, i.e. shoot himself. The way he orchestrated it to make Nero kill his own brother was just very well done.
He's really playing all families like a well worn violin at this point, but given the way these kind of stories go it's all bound to come back on him at some point, and that's going to be something to watch.

One other thing, Fango's improved his hair, even if he's still crazy!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-19, 18:11   Link #162
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I don't understand any of this power play going on right now. Won't the galassias smack down the vanettis now?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-19, 18:18   Link #163
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I don't understand any of this power play going on right now. Won't the galassias smack down the vanettis now?
That's what the final message from Avillio to Fio was for. She was to go to the Galassias and tell then a tale of Frate backstabbing Ronaldo while Nero returned to kill his brother therefore avenging Ronaldos' death and making peace with the Galassias. It's not true but to the outside observer it's still plausible.

Also Corteo managed to get another death flag this episode while not even appearing in it. Talk about skill
Old 2016-08-19, 18:33   Link #164
Magewolf

I think this episode should put to rest any thoughts that Avilio was going soft. He seems to be going for the whole killing the people who pissed him off and their families and their friends and possibility their pets.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-19, 18:38   Link #165
Wandering Soul

Wow, Angelo is basically treating everyone as if they are pieces of chessboard and he's moving them around as he pleases. Nero's family is basically tearing itself apart and the guy that's out to kill has effectively become one of his emotional crutches.

It looks Corteo has another death flag on him and he's gotten himself in even more danger without even appearing.
Old 2016-08-19, 18:41   Link #166
MCAL

That was a masterclass in manipulation Avillio pulled of there. Bravo.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-19, 21:32   Link #167
xeviouses

Avilio/Angelo, chessmaster of the season. Props to Ronaldo too, for controlling both Frate and Fio.
BTW, what do those flowers represent?

Though, how did Avilio managed to empty the gun in such a short time with none of the brothers noticing it?

I have the feeling that Fio will be Avilio's undoing.
Old 2016-08-19, 22:20   Link #168
Yamada II

Episode 7

So the Vanetti brothers are fighting for their lives – both fear being killed by the other. And we have nekoing Angelo to thank for that. Fio tries to bring Frate and Nero together to have them talk things out. That succeeds as Nero decides to talk things out with Ronaldo. But Angelo is a bastard who is trying to keep them fighting. He uses Volpe as an assassin and has him attack Ronaldo to make it look like Nero is out for Frate and Ronaldo. The attempt fails and Angelo kills Volpe and then hangs him from a bridge to make it look like to Nero that Frate will not stop until Nero's dead. And then Angelo gets sent to Fio and Ronaldo as a messenger from Nero who is supposedly willing to talk things out with Ronaldo. But the flowers came with a message probably written by Angelo with Nero on board. And Fio kills Ronaldo. She cares about the family which made it possible for them to tell her to kill Ronaldo, and eliminating Ronaldo is part of the story Angelo is writing up. He has Nero kill Frate too. He removes the bullets from Frate's gun and creates a shootout situation where only Nero is loaded. This kills Frate and now Angelo is Nero's brother, or so he claims. The story Fio has to tell is that Frate killed Ronaldo and Nero killed Frate to show his loyalty to the Galasias. Of course this isn't exactly what Fio wanted. Angelo had her kill Ronaldo by probably telling her that this'll solve things. But then she killed a Galasia so she won't be getting off easily among her in-laws if this news leaks out. So Angelo has Frate framed for this act which also works for his own plan. Fio wanted her brothers to live peacefully like a family but Angelo created such a situation where it wasn't possible, all so that he can get closer to Nero for his revenge. But will the Galasias buy this story that easily? Wouldn't they suspect Nero? Nero killed Ronaldo and Frate and had his sister tell them this made up story. Nero is especially suspicious because he was being specifically targeted by Ronaldo. But if things end up working out well then the Vanettis would be running themselves rather than being run by a Galasia puppet. Although I fear for Fio because she's probably going back to her in-laws and things may not work out perfectly.

Another thing Angelo is doing here is making Nero suffer. He will eventually have him meet his little brother, but he's also making Nero and Vincent suffer by killing family members – he killed Frate and now Fio is in a dangerous situation. So his revenge isn't only killing those who killed his family, he's also trying to make them suffer and get to know how it feels to lose family members. He gloriously thwarted Fio's plan to have the family live peacefully with everyone alive like a family should.

And we have Fango out there who just wants to stir up trouble. He's on Nero's side and with Nero now back in the family after eliminating Frate, this could lead to an alliance between the Fangos and the Vanettis. But it depends on Vincent who is still alive apparently.

Angelo sure is one evil bastard. His plan is going perfectly right now.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 01:05   Link #169
Mister Twit

Boy, Angelo is merciless. I wonder what was written in that message to Fio? It can't have been more than a few words.

Also, that post-credits scene. Such a short and simple scene, but a significant turning point. Avilio is a Vanetti 'til death now.
Mister Twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 01:47   Link #170
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Wow. When Angelo gave the gun back to Frate, I figured he'd left one bullet in for Frate to "do the decent thing", as they used to say, i.e. shoot himself. The way he orchestrated it to make Nero kill his own brother was just very well done.
Doubt something like that would happen. The mob are notoriously religious—specifically Catholic. I don't think the writers would make such a point of one of them praying for forgiveness before "whacking a guy" earlier in the season, then have another even contemplate sending himself on a one-way, non-refundable ticket to Hell, which suicide will do, if you hold to Catholic orthodoxy.
Old 2016-08-20, 02:10   Link #171
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

People saying Corteo is raising death flags without mentioning the important parts...

What are you people even talking about?
Old 2016-08-20, 02:39   Link #172
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
People saying Corteo is raising death flags without mentioning the important parts...

Fango wants the recipe to Lawless Heaven. Corteo is the only one who knows it, so Fango will eventually need to go after Corteo if he wants to get his hands on Lawless Heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
Though, how did Avilio managed to empty the gun in such a short time with none of the brothers noticing it?
Angelo's specialty is slight of hand. We saw his skills during that "magic" show with those kids, and in that same episode he mentioned to Nero that he made his keep being a pick pocket on the street.
Old 2016-08-20, 02:48   Link #173
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Episode 7

Nice to see that after whacky anime hijinks of cartoonish stereotypical mexicans and human lasagna, we are back to actually realistic mafia story now. The show, despite those two missteps, still maintains a very realistic narrative devoid of anime tropes. Albeit the setting is still under-used, it has managed to flesh out the core conflict and characters involved in it well enough.

The way show is presented, I said multiple times, could as well be a HBO live action series. It retains serious tone, it does not shy away from topics like sex or violence, that anime usually glosses over and it does not feel the need to glorify the MC or make him right.

Talking about MC, it is pretty clear that Avilio is irredeemable psychopath. The show makes no attempts at justifying his behavior or making the viewer relate to his motives. Avilio is pretty much too far gone at this point for that. His raison d'etre seems to be causing as much suffering as possible to the mafia family he hates and he has no interest in absolutely anything else. And the show makes it VERY clear that he is no better than the people he hunts, if anything he might be worse.

I fully expect him to either get killed in the end or become a new mafia boss, in essence becoming the very thing he hated.
Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 04:00   Link #174
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:

Like Cloudedmind said: Nero remarked that Corteo is in danger because he's the one who knows the Lawless Heaven recipe and Fango will eventually want it all to himself.
Old 2016-08-20, 04:05   Link #175
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Doubt something like that would happen. The mob are notoriously religious—specifically Catholic. I don't think the writers would make such a point of one of them praying for forgiveness before "whacking a guy" earlier in the season, then have another even contemplate sending himself on a one-way, non-refundable ticket to Hell, which suicide will do, if you hold to Catholic orthodoxy.
Admittedly that hadn't occurred to me, but makes perfect sense, thanks.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 04:10   Link #176
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Like Cloudedmind said: Nero remarked that Corteo is in danger because he's the one who knows the Lawless Heaven recipe and Fango will eventually want it all to himself.
Honestly, I don't think Fango will be around long enough for it to matter. He was a useful tool to get our protagonists to this point, but he's frankly more a danger to them now then he was before.

And besides, Fango is crazy, but he's not stupid. If Corteo dies, so does the recipe.
Old 2016-08-20, 09:37   Link #177
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 10:24   Link #178
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I was impressed as well as a bit disgusted by what Angelo did in this episode. It was very cruel of him to manipulate Nero into killing his own brother and Fio the father of her child.
Old 2016-08-20, 10:43   Link #179
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Honestly, I don't think Fango will be around long enough for it to matter. He was a useful tool to get our protagonists to this point, but he's frankly more a danger to them now then he was before.

And besides, Fango is crazy, but he's not stupid. If Corteo dies, so does the recipe.
But Fango being crazy and not stupid does still leave Corteo in serious danger. All that means is that he won't randomly murder him. That doesn't mean he won't kidnap him, torture him for the recipe, and then murder him. He's in severe danger right now. That recipe is valuable and if Fango finds out that Corteo is the guy with the recipe, he's in real trouble.

And I could easily see the story killing him off. A lesson for Angelo on what the cost for his revenge will be.
Old 2016-08-20, 11:24   Link #180
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Well, I can identify with the main character just fine. Doesn't mean I sympathize with him, but I can understand what he's doing and why he's doing it.

And at the very least he is incredibly amusing to watch.

Last edited by Dengar; 2016-08-20 at 11:37.

Tags
crime, drama