AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - Episode 29 Rating
Perfect 10 7 28.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 48.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 2 8.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 12.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 4.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-10-24, 12:06   Link #121
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South-east Asia
I'm coming because wandering what is second part looks like (as I felt nothing for the first part), yet I found past topic brought again.

I'll just add some details regarding both of your problem:

Spoiler for Please bring the discussion to General Discussion, I thought this thread is Episode Discussion LOL:
__________________
F/GO ID: 232846317

- Life is simple, that's why it became complicated. -
Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 12:42   Link #122
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
O still don't get where this "narrative imply" cames from. Because I don't see anyone else voicing such impression. Tekkadan survived that long because they pushed forward from all they might and for any cost, there is no reason why should narrative suddenly get urge "punish" them for it.
__________________
"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it" (Charles R. Swindoll)
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 12:56   Link #123
NBG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
I thought this was episode 29 discussion. . . lol
NBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 16:17   Link #124
darkone45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
I'm coming because wandering what is second part looks like (as I felt nothing for the first part), yet I found past topic brought again.

I'll just add some details regarding both of your problem:

Spoiler for Please bring the discussion to General Discussion, I thought this thread is Episode Discussion LOL:
I Always found this argument of the melodrama to be very silly and stupid, Gundam has always been known to have drama in their story, what the big deal if IBO has drama ? like LOL are you for real ? also why are we comparing Mikazuki to Simon from Gurren lagann ? these are two very different characters who have gone through very different situations there not the same so why compare them other then they both have someone they look up to ( for very different reason too lol) ones a digger who wants to see the outside world the other is a damaged child soldier, who has to survive in the world he lives in ( this episode once again proves that ) I don't know why people like you love to compare this to Gurren lagan when they are no where near the same one is really world fiction, the other is fantasy fiction (end of story )

I feel Good after letting that out
darkone45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 17:20   Link #125
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohane View Post
You wouldn't mind putting a source to that?

That example does not fit mainly because it's different medium and implies there are multiple endings.
For the record, by "from that point," I meant "the point of Biscuit's death in-story." I never intended my translation to imply that this was a last minute decision.

In fact, given that this was about how the narrative would connect Biscuit's death to the happy ending Nagai wanted, Okada would have been labouring over this during planning (minimum 18 months to 2 years ago now), not during the scriptwriting stage (around 16-20 weeks prior to broadcast of the episodes in question).

@tdx

Spoiler for OT - re: the translation:
__________________

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.


"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 17:52   Link #126
wissenschaft
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone45 View Post
I Always found this argument of the melodrama to be very silly and stupid, Gundam has always been known to have drama in their story, what the big deal if IBO has drama ? like LOL are you for real ? also why are we comparing Mikazuki to Simon from Gurren lagann ? these are two very different characters who have gone through very different situations there not the same so why compare them other then they both have someone they look up to ( for very different reason too lol) ones a digger who wants to see the outside world the other is a damaged child soldier, who has to survive in the world he lives in ( this episode once again proves that ) I don't know why people like you love to compare this to Gurren lagan when they are no where near the same one is really world fiction, the other is fantasy fiction (end of story )

I feel Good after letting that out
Hey now, Tactics wasn't giving his own opinion but rather what the Japanese audience's opinion was. This wouldn't be the first case of an anime being more popular overseas than in Japan.

Anyway, thank you model kits for giving us a second season of IBO. So far its been pretty good. Lets just hope it keeps up the current pace so this season doesn't end up with the slow down first season went through.
__________________
wissenschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 18:40   Link #127
Butagami
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The netherlands
Age: 28
Wow, things are really looking up, looks like this is going to be one big happy family. Their end-goal almost achieved with 20+ episodes to go? In a Gundam show? About child-soldiers? No worries there...

In all seriousness I was surprised Orga gave up on getting his money out of Gyojan. Yeah, he's an asshole, and plotted to have Kudelia killed, but as he said himself. that victory earlier cost them, so that would have come in handy. The last time Mika shot someone so hastily without considering the consequences, he gave birth to Ein...
__________________
Ali El Saarchez got owned in cqc by the sniper-type. TWICE. And both of the times his ms's sword arm got lobbed off casually. Not quite so mighty now, huh?
Butagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 18:46   Link #128
LG-MAX 2.o
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone45 View Post
I Always found this argument of the melodrama to be very silly and stupid, Gundam has always been known to have drama in their story, what the big deal if IBO has drama ? like LOL are you for real ? also why are we comparing Mikazuki to Simon from Gurren lagann ? these are two very different characters who have gone through very different situations there not the same so why compare them other then they both have someone they look up to ( for very different reason too lol) ones a digger who wants to see the outside world the other is a damaged child soldier, who has to survive in the world he lives in ( this episode once again proves that ) I don't know why people like you love to compare this to Gurren lagan when they are no where near the same one is really world fiction, the other is fantasy fiction (end of story )

I feel Good after letting that out
Indeed, melodrama, tragedy, children using guns, politics, etc, are the foundations of Gundam, who watched the first series (0079) understands that. the series is popular, unfortunately, just is not the most popular of all, receives criticism from time to time? even Gintama and Detective Conan are BPO targets and also are popular. we should be happy that we can enjoy something so incredible at a time when the UN tries desperately make Japan to ban all anime.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 18:46   Link #129
darkone45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by wissenschaft View Post
Hey now, Tactics wasn't giving his own opinion but rather what the Japanese audience's opinion was. This wouldn't be the first case of an anime being more popular overseas than in Japan.

Anyway, thank you model kits for giving us a second season of IBO. So far its been pretty good. Lets just hope it keeps up the current pace so this season doesn't end up with the slow down first season went through.
Oh well my forgive me then and @Tactics sorry I sometims let my emotion get the best of me when its something I really like ( last time it was Code Geass back in 2008)


@LG-MAX 2.o for now on we should use 0079 as the example of how Gundam is like so people don't get this misunderstanding.
darkone45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 19:23   Link #130
NBG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Would you guys consider what orga and mika did an execution?
NBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 19:38   Link #131
LG-MAX 2.o
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
but this is not something new in the series, Mika-chan kill people all the time. it's wrong? immoral? this is already something personal.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 19:38   Link #132
Chosen_Hero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
^^Not really, they just used him as an example of what happens to those that cross them.
__________________
Chosen_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 20:14   Link #133
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Everyone's been asking if Hush or Shino would get the Gundam, but what about the supposed mobile armour? I'm guessing it's supposed to be an assist for Barbatos, so could Hush possibly get the mobile armour while Shino get's the Gundam. Hush wants to pilot an MS so badly, but he really, practically doesn't seem cut out for it. Maybe the MA is the answer and he would be working with Mika on missions, which could be a learning experience for both of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBG View Post
Would you guys consider what orga and mika did an execution?
No, because Orga did give the guy a chance to make things right by paying them what they asked. Sure he probably knew the guy wouldn't do it and that's why he planned accordingly, but just like with the older CGS 1st Group, he did give them an option. (sans the first guy, because he had cost too many lives already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butagami View Post
In all seriousness I was surprised Orga gave up on getting his money out of Gyojan. Yeah, he's an asshole, and plotted to have Kudelia killed, but as he said himself. that victory earlier cost them, so that would have come in handy. The last time Mika shot someone so hastily without considering the consequences, he gave birth to Ein...
The guy was never going to pay up. He tried every way other than that to take care of Tekkadan, from calling Nobliss, Gjallerhorn, and even trying to take care of them himself. Also, the man probably didn't have the money anyway to pay double, considering that he was already low on funds in the very beginning and then he hired the pirates, so yeah...
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 20:25   Link #134
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohane View Post
Spoiler for saving space:
This is already veering into “general discussion”-territory so I’ll just answer your post in one fell swoop:
  1. Your entire argument was supported on the basis that Nagai somehow made “last minute” decision to have a “happy ending”. That basis is now pretty much gone since two people who know their Japanese, karice67 & tdx (one is the translator for the said interview that you quoted) confirmed that there’s no implication of sudden or “last minute” decision in that interview. Thus, your argument is crumbling down, just like your other argument sometime ago that Mika’s fondness of farming is just a gimmicky trait that the show won’t explore further than the one line Mika uttered, which then disproved by the show itself this season. If you still feel the first season's ending to be jarring, well, then more power to you. Everyone has their own opinion and we're not trying to change it here.
  2. Oh, and AGE was an overall disaster in almost every sales department (and probably not much streaming either), not just a flop in TV ratings.
  3. About source & evidence of infrequent "last minute" changes in two-cour hand-drawn mecha series: The lack of examples is in favor of my argument. You’re the one who raise the issue of common “last minute” decision. So you should be the one that prove that it frequently/commonly occurs by giving us examples in the span of a certain year or decade. And I think I’m already generous enough by giving you Evangelion as an example of “last minute” decision which isn’t that common for two-cour 2-D handdrawn mech series. I could’ve left you cold there.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 20:50   Link #135
Kurohane
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
This is already veering into “general discussion”-territory so I’ll just answer your post in one fell swoop:
  1. Your entire argument was supported on the basis that Nagai somehow made “last minute” decision to have a “happy ending”. That basis is now pretty much gone since two people who know their Japanese, karice67 & tdx (one is the translator for the said interview that you quoted) confirmed that there’s no implication of sudden or “last minute” decision in that interview. Thus, your argument is crumbling down, just like your other argument sometime ago that Mika’s fondness of farming is just a gimmicky trait that the show won’t explore further than the one line Mika uttered, which then disproved by the show itself this season. If you still feel the first season's ending to be jarring, well, then more power to you. Everyone has their own opinion and we're not trying to change it here.
  2. Oh, and AGE was an overall disaster in almost every sales department (and probably not much streaming either), not just a flop in TV ratings.
  3. About source & evidence of infrequent "last minute" changes in two-cour hand-drawn mecha series: The lack of examples is in favor of my argument. You’re the one who raise the issue of common “last minute” decision. So you should be the one that prove that it frequently/commonly occurs by giving us examples in the span of a certain year or decade. And I think I’m already generous enough by giving you Evangelion as an example of “last minute” decision which isn’t that common for two-cour 2-D handdrawn mech series. I could’ve left you cold there.

Yeah, I like how you handwave my entire argument based on the one thing I was wrong on. As I said before in my last comment, if this was indeed planned ahead of time, then that reflects even worse on Okada and Nagai, because then, the finale was ahead of time going to be this cluster of convenient occurrences one after another to have Tekkadan come out on top. So yeah, thanks a lot. You've helped prove the narrative was flawed from the very beginning.
__________________
Kurohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 20:57   Link #136
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohane View Post
Yeah, I like how you handwave my entire argument based on the one thing I was wrong on. As I said before in my last comment, if this was indeed planned ahead of time, then that reflects even worse on Okada and Nagai, because then, the finale was ahead of time going to be this cluster of convenient occurrences one after another to have Tekkadan come out on top. So yeah, thanks a lot. You've helped prove the narrative was flawed from the very beginning.
Which conveniences you're talking about? I think most of the things Tekkadan encountered after Biscuit's death are hardly convenient.

Oh, and I've pointed three instances in which you are wrong in my comment above (at least until you disprove my third point).
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 21:11   Link #137
darkone45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Which conveniences you're talking about? I think most of the things Tekkadan encountered after Biscuit's death are hardly convenient.

Oh, and I've pointed three instances in which you are wrong in my comment above (at least until you disprove my third point).
I actually keep asking him/her if they have such and issue with the show why keep watching ? I had issue with Age and Destiny's writing and you know what I did ? I stop watching both before their second half start because it was driving me crazy, why doesn't Kurohane do the same ? I asked them this question and what a shock no reply in this thread what can we take from this ?
darkone45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 22:04   Link #138
Kurohane
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Which conveniences you're talking about? I think most of the things Tekkadan encountered after Biscuit's death are hardly convenient.

Oh, and I've pointed three instances in which you are wrong in my comment above (at least until you disprove my third point).
Okay, I was wrong in two instances (I'll leave three undetermined since it has nothing to do with the discussion now). Doesn't change my point that you ignored the things I was actually valid in. For instance, the key reason we disagree is because we keep looking at things from different perspectives. You look at things from a character perspective; I look at them from a plot one. The conveniences are Ein moving into the city, fulfilling McGillis' gambit of making Gjallarhorn lose face and influence the vote at parliament. If that hadn't happen, it would have been harder for Makanai to have been elected back in. They would lose if he lost. Second, the reinforcements they got from Eugene and the Brewers' human debris complete with mobile workers. Let's not even get into how they got there in the first place. Lastly, AV Deus Ex that Mikazuki used to kill Ein. You can say "Oh, he lost his eye and arm", but it doesn't hinder his ability to pilot in the slightest, meaning it's a false hindrance. It doesn't make him any more vulnerable.

And the whole season was that, the finale just took it up to eleven. It shows that in order to make the kids have a chance, the adults have to be incompetent, stupid or both. Most of them are these caricatures you would see in cartoon shows; and the few decent ones are killed off. The only one on the opposition worth any brain cells is McGillis, and he sacrificed his friends for his ambitions! The few times Mikazuki was in trouble, things were already in place to have him bailed out. There was literally no tension. Even a good portion of the fanbase acknowledge how unstoppable he is. Just reading through comments from the previous episode on other sites, most of them were about how Julietta signed her death warrant and how Mikazuki was about to wreck her.

I want to know how far season 2 goes in it's content and if it is essentially the same formula as season 1. That's why I stick around, darkone. I'm not losing anything by doing it, just voicing my criticism, which for some reason automatically equates to me hating on the show. I don't hate shows or characters; that's stupid. At most, I just get disappointed on the wasted potential. I'm not saying this is a bad show, just a flawed one.
__________________

Last edited by Kurohane; 2016-10-24 at 22:33.
Kurohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 22:19   Link #139
wissenschaft
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Kurohane, what show is your avatar from? I must know. lol
__________________
wissenschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 22:22   Link #140
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 32
Toradora! is the anime from his avatar.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.