AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-10-28, 11:01   Link #141
Yakushi-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
And just because I feel like confusing the hell out of you :
The present tense "I am (currently)eating bread" would be
"pan wo tabete imasu" if you've learned the ~te form of a verb.

Taberu/tabemasu: Dochira de mo ii (the use of either would be okay).
Haha... How was that cofusing? I didn't know it, but now you taught me something

But isn't is "pan o tabete imasu"? Or is it "wo" when it's present tense?
Yakushi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-28, 12:31   Link #142
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Just realized something:

何でこのthreadがナルトforumの中にある?
General Chat forumの中にあったほうがいい?

Anyway:
wo/o are pronounced essentially the same, but are different kana:
wo= を = particle.
o = お = not a particle.

In roma-ji, "o" is often put instead of "wo" and the meaning is still understood.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 00:10   Link #143
Tree (木)
Apprentice ANBU

Send a message via ICQ to Tree (木) Send a message via AIM to Tree (木) Send a message via MSN to Tree (木) Send a message via Yahoo to Tree (木)
Thumbs up Great Thread!

This discussion kicks ass! I am currently studying Japanese by myself using books & videos, and have only had a few Nihon-jin penpals to answer these exact same questions for me. =)

I would like to point out a few more words in Nihongo that may be helpful.

The thing that most annoys me is about the English word "Japan" or "Japanese." The word for Japan is really "Nihon" and Japanese language is "Nihongo" and Japanese people are "Nihonjin." What annoys me is that these words are EASY to say in English, and yet we make total asses of ourselves by using the word Japan, which I believe is from Dutch.

Yo よ is similar to an exclamation point in english. It is demanding attention. And as you know, Naruto is very demanding & begging for attention... so I think that is why he says yo at the end of everything. ba ば is emphatic... very similar to the word "indeed" in english. And as was previously mentioned "datte" だって is a form of the word "desu" which is similar to the word "is" or "am" in english. So Naruto's "datte ba yo!" is saying "is indeed!" or just trying to make his words sound as important as possible.

Another important thing in Nihongo is "particle words." Particle words are really hard to undertand in English, and I've only understand the most common particle words myself, as there are about a hundred various combinations. Common particle words are:

"wa" - follows the topic of the sentence,
as in "watashi wa otaku desu" (I am an otaku)

"no" - connects adjectives to nouns & adverbs to verbs. I commonly use the phrase "anime no nihon" to specify when I'm talking to penpals, as they use the word "anime" for cartoons from any country.

"ga" & "o" both connect the subject that is acted upon to the noun. The particle you use is dependent on the specific verb you use. I personally try to memorize the verb with the particle. As in "watashi wa pan o tabemasu" (I eat bread) and "watashi wa Eigo ga wakarimasu." (I understand English)

"to" - means "and" but for some reason is also used in front of certain verbs, like "Ookee" to iimasu (I say okay)

"ni" - is similar to "in" or "to" in English

"no tame ni" is a common string of particles which basically means "from" in English

"ka" - as discussed, it's equal to a question mark

"yo" (masculine) "wa"(feminine) - as discussed, it's equal to an exclamation point

"na" (masculine) "ne" (feminine) - at the end of a sentence to say "okay?" or "isn't it?" It replaces "ka." Kakeshi likes to say "ja na" before he leaves, which kind of means "well then... later!" although the literal translation is "well then okay?" I have no idea how that works though.

Sorry to write such a long post. Just excited to have someone to rant to. Now can someone explain to ME the word endings better? My undestanding is that -masu is polite, -ru/-u is plain (kind of rude), -e/-ro means you're doing it right now, -oo means "lets do it", -da/-ta is past tense & -te is used to connect a verb to a verb?? I have have asked a lot of people about this & am still a bit confused.

I also have some links on my website that may help.

じゃな! (later)

Tree (木) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 00:12   Link #144
OniLink742
Hidden Pimp Villiage Kage

Try UrbanDictionary. I looked a lot of the japanese terms up today. ^_^
OniLink742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 02:55   Link #145
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree (木)
This discussion kicks ass! I am currently studying Japanese by myself using books & videos, and have only had a few Nihon-jin penpals to answer these exact same questions for me. =)

I would like to point out a few more words in Nihongo that may be helpful.

The thing that most annoys me is about the English word "Japan" or "Japanese." The word for Japan is really "Nihon" and Japanese language is "Nihongo" and Japanese people are "Nihonjin." What annoys me is that these words are EASY to say in English, and yet we make total asses of ourselves by using the word Japan, which I believe is from Dutch.

Yo よ is similar to an exclamation point in english. It is demanding attention. And as you know, Naruto is very demanding & begging for attention... so I think that is why he says yo at the end of everything. ba ば is emphatic... very similar to the word "indeed" in english. And as was previously mentioned "datte" だって is a form of the word "desu" which is similar to the word "is" or "am" in english. So Naruto's "datte ba yo!" is saying "is indeed!" or just trying to make his words sound as important as possible.

Another important thing in Nihongo is "particle words." Particle words are really hard to undertand in English, and I've only understand the most common particle words myself, as there are about a hundred various combinations. Common particle words are:

"wa" - follows the topic of the sentence,
as in "watashi wa otaku desu" (I am an otaku)

"no" - connects adjectives to nouns & adverbs to verbs. I commonly use the phrase "anime no nihon" to specify when I'm talking to penpals, as they use the word "anime" for cartoons from any country.

"ga" & "o" both connect the subject that is acted upon to the noun. The particle you use is dependent on the specific verb you use. I personally try to memorize the verb with the particle. As in "watashi wa pan o tabemasu" (I eat bread) and "watashi wa Eigo ga wakarimasu." (I understand English)

"to" - means "and" but for some reason is also used in front of certain verbs, like "Ookee" to iimasu (I say okay)

"ni" - is similar to "in" or "to" in English

"no tame ni" is a common string of particles which basically means "from" in English

"ka" - as discussed, it's equal to a question mark

"yo" (masculine) "wa"(feminine) - as discussed, it's equal to an exclamation point

"na" (masculine) "ne" (feminine) - at the end of a sentence to say "okay?" or "isn't it?" It replaces "ka." Kakeshi likes to say "ja na" before he leaves, which kind of means "well then... later!" although the literal translation is "well then okay?" I have no idea how that works though.

Sorry to write such a long post. Just excited to have someone to rant to. Now can someone explain to ME the word endings better? My undestanding is that -masu is polite, -ru/-u is plain (kind of rude), -e/-ro means you're doing it right now, -oo means "lets do it", -da/-ta is past tense & -te is used to connect a verb to a verb?? I have have asked a lot of people about this & am still a bit confused.

I also have some links on my website that may help.

じゃな! (later)

What specifically do you have questions with?
I can try to help (with my limited knowledge).
~masu is teineigo, and is the polite form used among equals/to those above you.
~ru/u is plain form, and is generally used between friends/people closer to you.
~e/ro is the command form, used to TELL somebody to do something.
An alternate form of this is using 'nasai'.
Ex: 薬を飲みなさい。
da and ~ta: You seem to have this one right on.
~te. Hmm...how best to explain it...I guess I can't. The only uses off the top of my head are ~te kudasai and ~te(i)ru/~te imasu.

Then there's ~tara, ~ba, and probably another hundred conjugations that I don't know/can't recall at the moment.

There is at least one more use of "ka".
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-09, 06:10   Link #146
joohliah

Send a message via AIM to joohliah Send a message via MSN to joohliah
Dattebayo ???

Hyia :-)

i've been watching Naruto fot a while now, but among other mysteries of the japanese langage, i can't really find out what "dattebayo"definitely means... if anyone has more than a clue about it (i already have a clue lol), thanx for sharing the answer
:-D

cheers

joohliah
joohliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-09, 08:07   Link #147
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by joohliah
Hyia :-)

i've been watching Naruto fot a while now, but among other mysteries of the japanese langage, i can't really find out what "dattebayo"definitely means... if anyone has more than a clue about it (i already have a clue lol), thanx for sharing the answer
:-D
Its emphasis. its almost like: "like I told you" "I was sayin' " "didnt I tell you"
Its usually reserved for situations in which the speaker assumes the listener already should know something, but Naruto just overuses it. (its his kutiguse)
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-09, 08:22   Link #148
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
What specifically do you have questions with?
I can try to help (with my limited knowledge).
~masu is teineigo, and is the polite form used among equals/to those above you.
~ru/u is plain form, and is generally used between friends/people closer to you.
~e/ro is the command form, used to TELL somebody to do something.
An alternate form of this is using 'nasai'.
Ex: 薬を飲みなさい。
da and ~ta: You seem to have this one right on.
~te. Hmm...how best to explain it...I guess I can't. The only uses off the top of my head are ~te kudasai and ~te(i)ru/~te imasu.

Then there's ~tara, ~ba, and probably another hundred conjugations that I don't know/can't recall at the moment.

There is at least one more use of "ka".
The -te conjugation is, as far as I know, just used in the middle of a sentence like (1) "verb-te mo ii desu" to see if it's okay to do something or to stop something from happening (like smoking in restaurants or talking on mobiles in hospitals), (2) create tenses like "verb-te imasu" to show that something is still happening, or (3) a polite command with "kudasai".

Some info on the forms of verbs can be found on this page as well.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 22:16   Link #149
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Naruto Name Meanings

I've been meaning to get this out there, just for a laugh or two. I've done a little research on the names of Naruto characters and what they mean. Here's my list so far.

Ikura means: Dolphin
Kakashi means: Scare crow
Sakura means: Cherry Blossom
Ino means: Boar

How well do you think the names match the character's personallities? If you have anymore to add to the list, and want to talk about it, here's the thread for you!
Yazakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 22:44   Link #150
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazakura
Ino means: Boar
lol, is that so? I was wondering why Sakura called her Ino-pig.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 08:56   Link #151
ShikaShika
無罪

This must be the fifth topic like this...
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 22:20   Link #152
Nathan Scott Phillop
gods brother

neji-screw hyuuga-towards the sun
shino-shinobi aburame-oil woman
chou-butterfly ji-child or love akimichi-autumn road
ebisu-barbarian or god of wealth
gaara-self love
haku-white
sakura haruno-cherry blossom or spring field
kakashi hatake- dry field or scarecrow
hanabi-fireworks
hinata-sunny place
kiba-fang inu-dog zuka-a small hill
jiraiya-young thunder
kankurou-a famous kibuki player
maito gai-dynamite guy or mighty guy
temari-a traditional japanese handball game
tenten-moving around,spot
tsunade-mooring rope
itachi-weasel uchiha-wa/ha character switch to make "fan"
sasuke-name of a legendary ninja
iruka-dolphin- umino-ocean
naruto-steamed fishcake or maelstom uzumaki-whirlpool
kabuto-helmet yakushi-buddhist healing god
ino-boar yamanaka-among the mountains

thats some of them. if u want a lot more than go to leafninja.com
thats where i got all this
Nathan Scott Phillop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-02, 22:40   Link #153
chutup

Why do some of the characters in Naruto not have a last name?

You know, like Gaara, Temari, Baki, Jiraiya etc. I know it's not just because their name hasn't ever been said, because even when it's written down there's no last name (or first name, I guess, seeing as it's Japanese). Am I missing something obvious here?
chutup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-02, 22:46   Link #154
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutup View Post
You know, like Gaara, Temari, Baki, Jiraiya etc. I know it's not just because their name hasn't ever been said, because even when it's written down there's no last name (or first name, I guess, seeing as it's Japanese). Am I missing something obvious here?
You forgot Tenten. Jiraiya probably doesn't need a name because he's based on a character from a folktale who I don't think had a last name either. Same goes for Tsunade. Gaara and Temari don't have last names because they never said what the Kazekage's name was. He was just "The Kazekage" It might also be that Gaara of the Sand is cooler than whatever his name is.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-03, 00:58   Link #155
chutup

hime = princess
as in Mai-Hime
also, Hime can be used as an ending to the name or the full name. Like you could call a princess just 'hime' or 'hime-sama' but you couldn't call a boy just 'kun'.

and orochi in Orochimaru means snake. Kind of stupid, when you think about it.
chutup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-03, 17:57   Link #156
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Don't look to far for Naruto ^^
There's a city named Naruto. A bridge named Naruto and it's the first name of a ninja originating from the Iga provinice: Naruto Hattori, from the branch as Hanzo Hattori, the ninja who saved Ieyasu Tokugawa's life by taking him safely to Mikawa after Oda Nobunaga got attacked in Kyoto by Akechi Mitsuhide.

Uzumaki too is an existing name. (Google is your friend )
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 00:10   Link #157
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

I'm rather curious to the meaning of the marks on the 3rd Hokage's face. When he was young, he had 1 mark under his eyes, when he was a old man like how he's introduced in the series, he had 4 marks.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-14, 07:57   Link #158
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Kiba's name doesnt mean horse, it means fang. When translated, thats what i literally says 'fang'
Gaara's name means Death, the symbol on his head symbolizes his love for death.
Neji's name means spiral or helix or spin, explaining his heavenly spin technique when he spins like a top to deflect all enemy attacks.
Zabuza means to cut or to slash which is why he as a longass sword
bloppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-14, 23:00   Link #159
konkoruRules
konkoru fan boy

WTF naruto's name means steamed fish-paste cake
konkoruRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-15, 00:44   Link #160
ShadowClone
Genin Featherweight

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowClone Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowClone
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkoruRules View Post
WTF naruto's name means steamed fish-paste cake

I think it (naruto the "steamed fish-paste cake") had been also shown as a topping for Naruto's ramen in the anime several times.
ShadowClone is offline   Reply With Quote