AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-06-25, 03:14   Link #1221
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Cool, I kind of hope it lasts for your sake.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-25, 10:24   Link #1222
dkellis
illusion control
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 34
Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
You see that's called "Begging The Question", both you and Shirobane. Basically you expect someone to believe your conclusion without first believing the basis on which it is founded or essentially the question being answered.
I'm not sure what this sentence means.

My conclusion was that there is no conclusion but that made by the individual. Whether anyone believes that or not is up to them. I'm not expecting anyone else to believe it.

EDIT: What I suppose I want to say is: whether someone believes Haruhi is God or not depends entirely on them. If they want to get religion from an anime, by all means. I know one person who really believes in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, two people who are practicing Discordians, and so on and so forth. If someone wants to believe in, say, the Church of Ryouga Hibiki, I'd also say the same thing: that it is entirely up to them to believe what they want.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-25, 14:23   Link #1223
-Houka-
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
I just watched it until episode 11. I really like Haruhi's personality, it's really realistic and I find myself able to identify myself with her in several ways, unlike in many animes where the main characters are selfless to the max and without any faults. However imo she is the only character that is truly developed until now (perhaps except the main guy) - just look at the alien girl and time travelling girl. There is NOTHING unique about them, characters like these appear in any clichée anime, time travelling girl actually really pisses me off "AHH OMG I'M SO PUNY AND FRAGILE DONT TOUCH MY TITTIES!", plus painfully obvious fanservice.. Other than that, the idea of Haruhi being God is a nice idea and a nice theory even, I like the cheesy opening music, and I enjoy the main guy's constant and sarcastic remarks/thoughts throughout the anime so far. Taking my critics into account, I would continue watching, but not become a fan of it.
-Houka- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-25, 14:38   Link #1224
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Houka-
I just watched it until episode 11. I really like Haruhi's personality, it's really realistic and I find myself able to identify myself with her in several ways, unlike in many animes where the main characters are selfless to the max and without any faults. However imo she is the only character that is truly developed until now (perhaps except the main guy) - just look at the alien girl and time travelling girl. There is NOTHING unique about them, characters like these appear in any clichée anime, time travelling girl actually really pisses me off "AHH OMG I'M SO PUNY AND FRAGILE DONT TOUCH MY TITTIES!", plus painfully obvious fanservice.. Other than that, the idea of Haruhi being God is a nice idea and a nice theory even, I like the cheesy opening music, and I enjoy the main guy's constant and sarcastic remarks/thoughts throughout the anime so far. Taking my critics into account, I would continue watching, but not become a fan of it.
Actually, this season, hopefully isn't the last, is focused on Haruhi. Should the future stories be animated, you will get far more Yuki development than you bargained for, as well as why Mikuru is essential to the plot. For now, enjoy the Haruhi developments. (Haruhi is as much a clichée as Yuki or Mikuru, and just like them, the clichée factor is simply magnified 1000X.)

Haruhi is based on the tsundere stereotype. One of my favourites, to be sure. But to claim Haruhi as being less clichée than Yuki or Mikuru is plain wrong. All the girls are much more than meets the eye.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-25, 15:34   Link #1225
-Houka-
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
So then according to what you said this anime will suddenly out of the blue unleash fantastic character developments which will give it a much deeper concept? I really do hope so tbh And I don't think Haruhi is clichée at all, she is a mixture of several typical personalities, and there are parts in the anime which really convey the fact that she is not clichée - for example when the main guy approaches her and adresses her for the first few times. At first she is arrogant, strange and very condescending - but turns out to be delightfully hyper, extroverted and bossy and everything - in her own bouncy but evil way! There is more than just a clichée in her, that's what I feel.
-Houka- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-25, 16:51   Link #1226
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 59
Sure are some people who quickly stereotype characters and ignore that which differentiates them from the archetypes, making it easy to write off the show. I could stop watching or reading almost any story using that technique because I've labeled them all and predict their actions. Except that that plan doesn't really work all the time. The problem is that no story is truly original so using that as a critique is pointless. The question is "is the story being told in an entertaining way or in a permutation that keeps your interest?".

Sorry but its *easy* to label and stereotype - that's the "compare" part of literature ... its a bit more challenging to find the things that make a character diverge from the cardboard cutout archetype. One of things interesting about this show is the distortion and subversion of "typical stereotypes". Analyzing it purely as a "romance" misses some of the other interesting facets of the show.
__________________

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-06-25 at 18:04.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-25, 19:25   Link #1227
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
The July 2006 issue of Newtype USA has a 2 page spread on Haruhi Suzumiya. On pages 58 & 59 the article (backed by photo of the gang) is called "Cirlcle of Freaks" and lists the most basic (so basic that they call Haruhi a "nut") information about the series. The photo (of which character images were used for this wallpaper <except for a different {and cuter} image of Haruhi>: ) shows the gang in a half-circle (L->R) Itsuki, Yuki, Mikuru, Haruhi, and Kyon. It'd be nice to find that pic somewhere because IMHO in the pic Haruhi is definately cuter than Mikuru!
__________________
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-25, 19:34   Link #1228
Major Kerina
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: California
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Major Kerina Send a message via MSN to Major Kerina
Hmmm. I wonder if this means Haruhi is on ADV's radar...
Major Kerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-25, 19:48   Link #1229
Anime Online
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi
It'd be nice to find that pic somewhere because IMHO in the pic Haruhi is definately cuter than Mikuru!
That Haruhi picture is taken from the fanclub site.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-25, 20:16   Link #1230
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online
That Haruhi picture is taken from the fanclub site.
Except that's not the Haruhi pic I'm talking about. The character elements of the Newtype USA pic were used in that wallpaper except for Haruhi. The Haruhi pic in the article shows her in a "glamour" pose with a big smile on her face on the same page as the Kyon character pic (go figure.. ). That's the Haruhi pic I'm looking for.
As a matter of fact, I'm sure this article appeared in some form in the Japanese Newtype sometime before the series started airing or while the early episodes were being broadcast.

Bingo! Picture found:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker
Thanks a bunch, Riker!
__________________

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2006-06-26 at 18:36.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 22:21   Link #1231
Pakxenon
popcorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
"An extreme nut" >______>

Suzumiya Haruhi debut (again...) at #71 (from #80) with 44 reviews (with 2-3 about to get deleted)! Keep the reviews coming in!

I read the novel again... I'm surprised this episode (13) was actually HALF a chapter and it took 22 minutes to explain all of it. Can't wait for subs and episode 14!
Pakxenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 15:39   Link #1232
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Kerina
Hmmm. I wonder if this means Haruhi is on ADV's radar...
OH YEAH! awful awkard miscast dub time with dialogue that has nothing to do with the original and shows when subtitles are played over the english track. ADV, The company that almost single handedly ruined Aura Battler Dunbine and Megazone 23. ALL RIGHT! I can just picture Haruhi making weird random noises during her dialogue like Skeeter from that Disney show Doug. "Hey Kyon we're going to join the Baseball Tournament, Hee Hee HOOOOONK Dur OOOOORGUUUUUSSSSSSS!
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 16:34   Link #1233
darkchibi07
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
OH YEAH! awful awkard miscast dub time with dialogue that has nothing to do with the original and shows when subtitles are played over the english track. ADV, The company that almost single handedly ruined Aura Battler Dunbine and Megazone 23. ALL RIGHT! I can just picture Haruhi making weird random noises during her dialogue like Skeeter from that Disney show Doug. "Hey Kyon we're going to join the Baseball Tournament, Hee Hee HOOOOONK Dur OOOOORGUUUUUSSSSSSS!
Blame Carl Macek for Dunbine.

And there were good dubs from ADV like FMP, D.N Angel, Pretear and a couple others I'm not listing since it's pretty off topic.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 17:15   Link #1234
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 59
ehhhhh, lets not get on the dubbing topic. Basically they all suck to some extent simply because the acting quality isn't there (C list VA types) --- as long as the subtitles aren't massively bad I'm fine.

(Before someone whines that some dubs are good, I can actually stand Azumanga, grimace but tolerate Ichigo Marchmallow, and didn't flinch during Totoro... I just think the original language VAs come from a higher quality pool. There *are* excellent english VAs.... they just don't use them.)

At the moment Geneon hits more bells than average, but its hit or miss with any of the companies here.... I'm more concerned that they do a good sound and image quality job.
__________________

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-06-27 at 18:00.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 18:19   Link #1235
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
ehhhhh, lets not get on the dubbing topic. Basically they all suck to some extent simply because the acting quality isn't there (C list VA types) --- as long as the subtitles aren't massively bad I'm fine.

(Before someone whines that some dubs are good, I can actually stand Azumanga, grimace but tolerate Ichigo Marchmallow, and didn't flinch during Totoro... I just think the original language VAs come from a higher quality pool. There *are* excellent english VAs.... they just don't use them.)

At the moment Geneon hits more bells than average, but its hit or miss with any of the companies here.... I'm more concerned that they do a good sound and image quality job.
You obviously haven't seen the Dunbine dub, that one wasn't just poor it was particulary special in all categories. Listen to some of the clips http://www.dubreview.com/readreview....iewid=00000120 this could be the Haruhi dub if ADV gets it.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 18:29   Link #1236
darkchibi07
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Okaaay, let's just drop the fact ADV might get this one. Considering the insane popularity this series has brought, it's more likely the license will be expensive for them to purchase. And here are some of the BETTER dubs ADV has put out:

Godannar
Gantz
RahXephon

Given that (and considering it is a Kadokawa title), I'm thinking FUNimation has a chance of getting it. I mean they were able to get Full Metal Panic: TSR away from ADV's hands, and FUNi has proved themselves of getting lots of anime titles that WILL sell well.

Last edited by darkchibi07; 2006-06-27 at 18:42.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 18:30   Link #1237
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 59
(follows Kaioshin's linkage) um..... spewwwww?

Hey, I'm sensitive - I throw up at dubs the rest of the room says "eh? there's a problem?"
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-28, 00:06   Link #1238
Paper Lilies
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: the midwest
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to Paper Lilies
So... Who else is planning on watching all the episodes in chronilogical (Spellcheck hates me.) order when all episodes have been viewed?
Paper Lilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-28, 00:18   Link #1239
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: A town that has been showered by snow...
Age: 31
Not I, for I've already went through the novel in the 'chronological order'.
__________________

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori


panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-28, 00:44   Link #1240
shaolinx
Kani Fascination
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Lilies
So... Who else is planning on watching all the episodes in chronilogical (Spellcheck hates me.) order when all episodes have been viewed?
that is what i was planning to do, wutsup wit the anime mixing it up? it would b 2x enjoyable if it was the right order.my guess is it goes like eps 2,3,5, 13, 4... thats all i can remember... anyone wanna take a shot?
__________________
Android Simplicity: Android How Tos, Android Apps, Android USB drivers
All the Android you will never need
www.AndroidSim.net
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, kyoto animation, school life, science fiction, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.