AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-07-01, 01:51   Link #161
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoku
I just want to order some DVDs,and I know plenty of you and others outside of Japan have done so.
I'd suggest going to a convention, like Comic-Con or Anime Expo, they'll usually have an import store with a booth, and you can ask how to order from them.
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-05, 20:23   Link #162
Madlax26

Question Importing Anime

I'm very new to buying anime from abroad can someone please explain to me it is complicated ,or simple,any help would greatly appreciated Thanks.

Last edited by Madlax26; 2006-07-06 at 00:20.
Madlax26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-06, 06:11   Link #163
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madlax26
I'm very new to buying anime from abroad can someone please explain to me it is complicated ,or simple,any help would greatly appreciated Thanks.
We would need to know
(i) What country are you in
(ii) What country are you importing from

It also helps if you can pay by credit card, is this possible for you?

Give us an example of what it is you want to import? Is it a Japanese DVD or merchandise? Or are you in Europe wanting to obtain a U.S. release DVD?
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-06, 14:50   Link #164
Madlax26

I live in The U.S. i would be importing either Audio Cd's or DVD's from Japan,and yes i could pay with a credit card Thanks for The quick Reply.
Old 2006-07-06, 14:56   Link #165
Madlax26

I live California and,would be Importing either Audio CD's or DVD's From Japan I can pay with credit cards But what about import fee's where would find information on that. xris Thanks for The Help.
Old 2006-07-06, 15:19   Link #166
xris
Just call me Ojisan

As you are in the U.S. can't give you much practical help (I'm in the U.K.). I would suggest you have a look at the various Japanese sites and see what they have to say.

For example, cdJapan
Quote:
Customs/Import Duties

International customers are considered importers and must comply with all laws and regulations of the country in which the orders are received. You may be subject to import duties and taxes, which may be levied once the package reaches your country. If that happens, additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by you. We cannot predict or control what these charges may be, as they vary widely from country to country. Please contact your local customs office for further information. Also, we are required to show the accurate value of the items directly on the package.
In general, the way it works is that you order something from, say, cdJapan (e.g. you import a CD). You pay the cost of the CD along with the postage using your credit card (note: you do not pay any import duty at this point). They package the item and include on the outside a Customs Declareation (which is usually a printed label or rubber stamp) which has the value of the goods inside. When this package reaches the U.S. it is inspected by the Postal Service and depending on the value of the goods, it may or may not then have a surcharge added (i.e. the import duty). You then have to pay this surcharge before you can receive the goods from the Postal Service. At least that's how it works in the U.K.

The secret is not to order large amounts at the same time because you only pay import duty if it exceeds a certain value (in the U.K. it's $30). Very often it's worth purchasing only one item per order so to avoid paying any surcharges. It means you pay more due to postage costs but you can very often avoid any import duty.

Anyway, that applies to importing to the U.K., someone from the U.S. will have to supply the exact details of how different it is to import into America.
Old 2006-07-06, 15:28   Link #167
bayoab

Quote:
I live California and,would be Importing either Audio CD's or DVD's From Japan I can pay with credit cards But what about import fee's where would find information on that. xris Thanks for The Help.
It depends on a) how much you order at once and b) how soon you need it.
There are some sellers that mark things as gifts so they will slip past customs as long as they are under $100. You will have to check the current rules with customs otherwise. I believe the rule is you can recieve $100 worth of goods per month without paying anything extra. I personally have ordered $80 DVDs and not gotten hit by any duty.

If you do not need it quickly, order it slowly and in multiple small orders.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-06, 21:03   Link #168
Madlax26

Thanks For The help guys i really appreciate it.
Old 2006-07-06, 21:31   Link #169
chiisai_nezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
Anyway, that applies to importing to the U.K., someone from the U.S. will have to supply the exact details of how different it is to import into America.
I am a frequent importer who lives in the US, and I've been through physical customs as well as mail. Americans are rather fortunate in that books, CDs, DVDs, and other media are considered duty-free. The same process is followed in terms of the Japanese company putting a declarations sticker on the box, but I have never been charged by customs for mail, and according to the customs officer who opened my suitcase and examined the 170000 yen worth of CDs, DVDs, and books I had, they were all duty-free. American customs is also very lax, they have never opened my mail packages.

Note: there is no reason to order in small amounts; I have ordered packages with over $350 in combined value and not had them opened because the outside sticker read 'Gamesoft.' Keep in mind that American customs is allowed to block the entrance of 'obscene' materials, but this is very rarely enforced.
chiisai_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-07, 11:21   Link #170
Madlax26

What if used PayPal to pay for my order?
Old 2006-07-07, 12:08   Link #171
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
What if used PayPal to pay for my order?
If they accept PayPal, then it's fine. It can be used as an alternative to a credit card (but in most cases Credit Cards tend to be safer and more conveniant). One thing you will need to check is that depending on the currency, you may pay an extra fee to PayPal for the currency transaction. I haven't used PayPal in a while but that used to be the case if I ordered something in $ (U.S. Dollars) and paid (PayPal) in £ (U.K. Pounds) then there was an fee imposed by PayPal. Look at the PayPal FAQ or help pages for more info on this.

Or are you still referring to Import Duty and taxes? If so, then it is irrelevant.

And in reference to the comments chiisai_nezumi made, while I won't deny that you may have never had to pay any sort of Import Duty, it doesn't mean that it's true for everyone. It is possible that if the Customs Declareation exceeds a certain value then there is a chance that you might be charged additional Tax. And it is considered fraud if the Customs Declareation is blatently incorrect.
Old 2006-07-07, 16:49   Link #172
Madlax26

i wasn't sure if paypal charged a fee for international purchases thanks for telling me.

P.S. On The U.S. Customs Agency's website it says that personal purchases totaling $200 USD or more will be taxed. And for Gifts its $100 USD and above.
just to let you know,and thanks for the help.
Old 2006-07-07, 21:14   Link #173
Madlax26

Does YesAsia only sell MiniDisc or do they also sell Regular sized Compact disc's because every title i have searched for has the word mini next to the title in bold print. Thanks Again
Old 2006-07-08, 23:42   Link #174
ting7

Talking DVD enquiry^^ (Rozen Maiden in Singapore)

Does any one of u know where to get Rozen maiden DVD in Singapore? I prefer to get from local shops rather than ebay. Thank you
ting7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-09, 17:00   Link #175
Madlax26

I looked around there sites a little but can anyone who has shopped at either PlayAsia or Anime Arigato tell me if there any good. Thanks.
Old 2006-07-14, 21:18   Link #176
Madlax26

has anyone here ever shopped overstock.com for anime.
Old 2006-07-16, 23:54   Link #177
zanarky

Are there any places in Hong Kong where I can get anime figures/collectables?
I've been seeing alot of sellers on Ebay who live in Hong Kong.
zanarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-29, 15:29   Link #178
Madlax26

hey guys what's up i recently found this online store called Anime International on the site it says there based San Fransico has anyone here ever heard of them are they legit or bootleggers? Thanks
Old 2006-07-29, 16:38   Link #179
bayoab

Quote:
hey guys what's up i recently found this online store called Anime International on the site it says there based San Fransico has anyone here ever heard of them are they legit or bootleggers? Thanks
You will need to link to the website as there is no "Anime international" based in san francisco according to google. There is one based in Los Angeles.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-29, 17:54   Link #180
ReggieM

Where to trade DVDs?

Does anyone have any suggestions on places or websites that I can trade DVDs? I have a bunch of random legit Region 1 DVDs that I want to trade for some singles that I'm missing of various series.

I have tried GameTZ, but there isn't too much anime on there (at least not anything I'm looking for).

Any other suggestions? Any Canadians out there know of anything (I'm in Vancouver).

Thanks!
ReggieM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime dvd suggestions, anime movies, help finding an anime, manga, purchase, streaming anime