AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2017-04-28, 22:34   Link #461
marvelB

Volume 85 is out, so you know what that means! Credit goes to AP's Sandman for summarizing the SBS info:

-A reader points out that there were characters who resembled Charlotte Opera in chapter 845. Oda explains that those are his siblings, as Opera one of five quintuplets. Interestingly, Oda goes into further detail about Big Mom and her offspring: Big Mom herself is 68 YEARS OLD, and had given birth to children about every year for 42 years. Also, the record for the most children she gave birth to at once is TEN. Said decuplets are all 18 years old at this point in time.

-Someone actually asks how Doflamingo looks without his shades, but Oda replies that the instant the glasses come off, another pair will instantly appear in its place, lol.

-A fan points out how Oda said Zoro doesn't eat ice in a previous SBS, yet he was seen eating it in chapter 701. Oda says that may not necessarily have been Zoro...

-A few new character birthdays:

Quote:
Inuarashi: October 11th
Sora (the fictional marine hero from that comic with the Vinsmokes as villains): July 9th
Pandaman February 29th
-Someone asks why Big Mom addresses herself with the male pronoun "おれ" (read as "ore"). Oda says that long ago, it was common for women to use that pronoun, and is actually still a common occurrence in some areas of Japan today.

-Gonna quote Sandman for this one:

Quote:
Question: Who is the fastest crewmate when they run 50-meter race?

Oda: It's hard to answer..

1 Brook
2 Sanji
3 Luffy
4 Chopper
5 Zoro
6 Usopp
7 Nami
8 Robin
9 Franky

- Brook is fast since his body weight is light.
- Chopper would be ranked higher if he uses Walk Point. (another translation: Chopper is ranked high because he can use Walk Point.)
- Zoro would be ranked higher in the shorter distance race since he would not be off the track. lol
- Franky is ranked low since he is heavy.
-Someone asks why Sanji doesn't go heart-eyes over Reiju. Naturally, Oda answers it's because they're siblings. (Sorry, incest fans!)

-Pudding was indeed the girl from chapter 651. Also, the minks eat birds, reptiles, and amphibians, but not animals with hair.

-Someone asks how they can become a Jump editor. Oda says that most of them are perverts (lol), but it's possible to become one after graduating from a 4-year college. Oda concludes by saying he hopes the reader becomes a future editor (without becoming perverted in the process ).

Well, that does it for the relevant info. I found that info about Big Mom's age and her child-rearing particularly interesting, though this seems to mean that her oldest children are in their forties (which is odd, considering that some of them like Brulee actually look older than Linlin herself, lol). Well, until the next SBS!
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-29, 03:39   Link #462
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I thought Big Mom would be older than that, given that she can steal people's lifespan and has hundreds of children, some of them looking quite old as you pointed out.

Thanks to Sandman and to you for posting the info here.
Old 2017-04-29, 07:18   Link #463
Hoodspirit

The first Big Mom children were just becoming adults at the time of Gol D. Roger reading the BM's Road Poneglyph. Doubt the kids could be counted much of a fighting force at that time.

So the first 25 years she forged herself (btw who is the youngest known mother?). Katakuri and Prosperos (2nd and 1st son) don't seem to share the same father. I wonder if she used the 'Sex or Life'-question often in the beginning, or wether it was already attractive enough to bond with her pirate crew. With the consuctive birth giving and changing fathers, it looks like she planned to abuse that from the beginning for the last 42 years.

It hints at a lot, but confirms not much to BMs past. Guess we won't get around some flashbacks.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-30, 01:24   Link #464
WyrdMonger

What I like to see is a complete list if the Charlotte siblings.
WyrdMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 01:05   Link #465
marvelB

Time for a bump!

This is something I've been meaning to post for a while, but I didn't have enough time until now. So, without further ado:

In commemoration of OP's 20th anniversary, several special projects are underway! One such project is a series of "One Piece Magazines", books that contain lots of neat stuff such as interviews, some exclusive comics/drawings from Oda, a novel that focuses on Ace's pirating history, and much more! The first volume of the magazine was released rather recently (July 7th). Let's check out some of its contents, shall we? Big credit goes to AP's Sandman for most of this compiled info:

-First off, here's a summary of Oda's big interview that was featured in the mag, as summarized by Sandman:

Spoiler for interview:

-The magazine also contains its own "Super SBS" section! However, Oda himself doesn't provide info here. Rather, it's four of his editors talking about him instead. Once again, credit goes to Sandman for the summary:

Spoiler for Super SBS:

-Next up is the exclusive comic Oda drew for the magazine: Basically, it's a "what-if" comic where Sabo shows up at Marineford to save Ace from certain doom. The comic is split into three parts (one double-page spread for each of the OP magazine volumes). So, here's part 1:

Spoiler for Episode of "Luff" part 1:

-As for the exclusive drawing, it's a poster which, like the comic, is split into three parts (so we gotta wait for the other two volumes to release before getting the full image):

Spoiler for poster:

-Next up, let's focus on the Ace novel! No, Oda didn't write the story, but it's considered official and he WAS consulted by the writer, so it could probably be considered canon. Now, let's take a peek at the cover, which was drawn by Katsuya Terada:

Spoiler for Ace cover:

Particularly interesting about this novel is that it isn't told from Ace's perspective, but from the perspective of the first mate of the Spade Pirates, a fellow known as Masked Deuce, who Oda even drew a design for:

Spoiler for Deuce:

^It should be noted that "Deuce" isn't his actual name, but an alias. Turns out he's pretty adamant about keeping his identity a secret (even from Ace), so the marines don't know his true face under that mask. Here's Sandman's summary of the first chapter, which explains how the Spade Pirates were established (among other things):

Spoiler for Novel Ace ch1:

-Uh, so apparently this was the list of songs Oda's been listening to while drawing BM's tea party (credit goes to AP's Bond en Avant for the list):

Quote:
1. This is Halloween
2. Crazy Party Night ~ぱんぷきんの逆襲~ [Pumpkin no Gyakushu]
3. 移動式遊園地 [Idou-shiki Yuenchi]
4. ヒンキーディンキーパーティークルー [Hinky Dinky Party Crew]
5. PARADISE
6. Twerk Dat Pop That feat. Eminem & Royce da 5'9"
7. SAX @ ARENA (Re-Edit) feat. SHINJI TAKEDA
8. Right Action
9. Lady Marmalade (From "Moulin Rouge" Soundtrack)
10. I Love It (feat. Charli XCX)
11. The Boy Does Nothing
12. Ginger Bread Man
13. THE MAD TEA PARTY/THE UNBIRTHDAY SONG/TWINKLE TWINKLE/CLEAN CUP MOVE DOWN/MAD WATCH
14. Lady
15. Party People (feat. T.I.)

Whew, that should take care of the juiciest bits! Man, this book is jam-packed with info! Even crazier is that there are two more of them on the way (on August 4th and September 1st, respectively). I'll be sure to summarize those as well when they release!
Old 2017-07-11, 11:56   Link #466
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Thanks for posting this as usual! Lots of interesting info here.

The what if page with Sabo saving Ace and Luffy is really cool.
Old 2017-07-12, 09:35   Link #467
Rainbowman

August 4 and September 1. Look forward to those dates.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-04, 21:15   Link #468
marvelB

Hey guys! I don't have the OP Magazine info collected yet, but how about the volume 86 SBS in the meantime? Credit goes to various sources (mainly AP and Oro Jackson forums) for the info:

-This actually isn't related to the SBS, but it's definitely noteworthy: Oda changed the class of Charlotte Katakuri's DF! As many may know, his mochi fruit was originally classified as a Logia..... but this time around, it was changed to a Paramecia! In fact, it's specifically pointed out as being a "Special" Paramecia!

Images
comparison
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I wonder if this means that powers like Mr. 3's and Trebol's can be considered part of the "special" class, as well....?

-Someone asks how Big Mom looked in her younger adult years (specifically, 28 and 48, respectively). Oda gives us that glimpse into the past:

Images
Big Mom

^Huh, her appearance at 28 sure is a... significant contrast compared to childhood and elderly looks. But hey, I always did feel that OP could use more hot milfs, so why complain?

-Someone asks how Whitebeard's head looks under the bandanna. Oda draws what it looks like according to rumors, lol:

Images
WB

-Someone asks Oda to make Urouge cute. Well, here's his attempt....

Images
Urouge

-Someone asks if a cat pirate from Hawkins' crew is a mink. Oda confirms it, saying that his name is Faust, and he's even a magician.

-Oda confirms that people of the snake-neck race live in Totland. In fact, two of Big Mom's children are snake-necks! The children in question, 34th son Mascarpone and 29th daughter Joscarpone are close twins.

-Speaking of the unique races, it's pointed out that the long-legs have a habit of decorating their legs with tattoos, such as Blue Gilly and Charlotte Smoothie. Tamago doesn't seem to adhere to that trend, though.

-The bento Sanji had prepared for Pudding was, interestingly enough, arranged with the favorite foods of the Straw-Hats, showing that he was still thinking of them when making it! It also includes the previously-unrevealed favorite meal of Brooke's, which is curry.

-Someone asks if the den den mushis have a "silent" mode. Oda replies that it depends on how they're trained, since they're still living creatures.

-Someone asks if Zepo from Pedro's flashback in chapter 850 is indeed Bepo's older brother. Oda confirms that is indeed the case, and even gives some brief exposition about the history of Pedro's old crew, the Nox pirates (translation courtesy of Oro Jackson's Zoro4Prez2016):

Quote:
O: They do resemble each other! That's correct. Pedro led the Nox Expedition party who were chased by the government for searching for poneglyphs, thus they became the Nox Pirates. That's a story from about 15 years ago. Bepo loved his older brother Zepo, and when he climbed down Zou to get a view of the sea, he was swept away. One thing led to another, and he found his way to the North Blue. He then met Law. Meanwhile, the Nox Pirates were wounded and had morale issues, so Pekoms lead the others who couldn't continue their journey, leaving just Pedro and Zepo. And then Pekoms and the others arrived in Big Mom's territory. There their lives were saved, and they entered her care. Pedro and Zepo, who continued searching for poneglyph, eventually set their sights on Big Mom's poneglyph 5 years later, and by coincidence Pedro and Pekoms came face to face once again.
-More character birthdays ahoy!

Quote:
Pudding - 6/25
Reiju - 11/30
Merry - 1/22
Kinemon - 1/29
Nojiko - 7/25
Bellmere - 12/3 -
Mr. 5 - 7/26 -
Toto - 6/17
Terracotta - 9/25
Pekoms - 4/11
Kaya - 8/24
Kanjurou - 7/21
Baron Tamago - 5/14
King Riku - 6/27
Blue Gilly - 11/27
Pedro - 6/16
Smoothie - 10/12

That's all I got for now!
Old 2017-08-04, 22:54   Link #469
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Hmm... I still don't get much about the bounties at which age Big Mom got around 500 mil bounty. Maybe at next SBS Oda could answer it about Big Mom's bounty.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-05, 00:02   Link #470
Zolton

Glad the whole deal with Pekoms and Pedro was explained. I used to think Pekoms was a traitor.

Deuce kinda looks like the MC of Ghost Trick.
Zolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-05, 00:20   Link #471
BPD Renegade

More info about the best Heart pirate! So Bepo's older bro is confirmed dead then. Poor bear. Zepo looked like quite the thug compared to Bepo though.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-05, 13:15   Link #472
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Big Mom actually used to be A MILF. My mind is blown.
Old 2017-08-06, 10:58   Link #473
Rainbowman

Pudding - 6/25 - Cancer
Reiju - 11/30 - Sagittarius
Merry - 1/22 - Aquarius
Kinemon - 1/29 - Aquarius
Nojiko - 7/25 - Leo
Bellmere - 12/3 - Sagittarius
Mr. 5 - 7/26 - Leo
Toto - 6/17 - Gemini
Terracotta - 9/25 - Virgo
Pekoms - 4/11 - Aries
Kaya - 8/24 - Virgo
Kanjurou - 7/21 - Cancer
Baron Tamago - 5/14 - Taurus
King Riku - 6/27 - Cancer
Blue Gilly - 11/27 - Sagittarius
Pedro - 6/16 - Gemini
Smoothie - 10/12 - Libra

Looking forward to September info
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-15, 23:33   Link #474
marvelB

My apologies for the delay, but here's that summary of the second OP Magazine! Once again, credit goes to AP's Sandman for much of the info:

-First off, let's start with the interview!

Spoiler for interview:

-Second part of the special alternate Marineford comic:

Spoiler for Episode of "Luff" 2:

-The second part of the special poster Oda drew:

Spoiler for poster 2:

-Second chapter of the Ace Novel's included, as well! Here's a couple images, showing the cover (drawn by Kinu Nishimura!), and some more Spade Pirate designs:

Spoiler for Ace images:

And of course, the summary of the chapter itself (courtesy of Sandman):

Spoiler for Ace ch. 2:

On a related note, we actually saw some of these Spade pirates in past chapters, specifically during the Marineford arc! Skull was seen fighting alongside the WB pirates during the war:

Spoiler for Skull:

While Miharl and Kotatsu were shown during the part of Ace's flashback where he fought Jinbei:

Spoiler for Miharl/Kotatsu:

-Another list of music that Oda recently listened to (once again, credit goes to AP's Bond en Avant for this):

Quote:
1. Across 110th Street by Bobby Womack
2. M-1,2 (from the soundtrack of Battles without Honor and Humanity: Deadly Fight in Hiroshima)
3. I GOTCHA by Joe Tex
4. Rainy Night in Georgia by Brook Benton
5. BOOGIE WONDERLAND by Earth, Wind & Fire
6. Smile by The Emotions
7. Soul Man by The Blues Brothers
8. Jungle Boogie by Kool & the Gang
9. Booty Swing by Parov Stelar
10. Dancing Planet by CAPSULE
11. St. James Ballroom by Alice Francis
12. Boom! Shake the Room by DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
13. I KNOW by The Birthday
14. We Back on the Scene by ラッパ我リヤ [Rappagariya]
15. How I Could Just Kill a Man by Rage Against the Machine
-Last, but not least, we have the preview for the third OP Magazine:

Quote:
- Successive editors AND Oda will talk about ONE PIECE together.
- Novel Ace chapter 3: World Government offers Ace to join Shichibukai in Sabaody where Spade Pirates stay for ship coating. Isca, a female Marine, confronts Ace.
- Kazuya Takahashi in Square Enix will draw the cover page for Ace novel.
- Sabo's bounty poster will be revealed.

^Damn, Sabo's bounty!? I'll definitely be looking forward to that! Remember, the last mag is released on September 1st!
Old 2017-08-16, 12:01   Link #475
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Thanks for relaying the info to us as usual. Oda is a fan of rakugo, huh! Based on what little I know about rakugo (basically just the stories I've heard in the Showa genroku rakugo shinjuu anime), I guess I can see traces of that in his writing, particularly when it comes to comedy.

The Ace novel sounds interesting, I hope it will get (properly) animated one day.
Old 2017-09-06, 17:40   Link #476
marvelB

Well, what with there being no chapter this week, what better time is there than now to focus on the info from the third and final OP Magazine? Once more, credit goes to AP's Sandman for summarizing much of the info:

-First off, let's start with something particularly special: SABO'S BOUNTY POSTER!!!

Spoiler for bounty:

^Turns out the head of Luffy's other brother is worth 602 million!

-Speaking of Sabo, here's the third part of the special comic:

Spoiler for Episode of "Luff" part 3:

Also, here's Oda's message about the comic (credit goes to Sandman for the translation):

Quote:
Oda: Thank you so much for reading this bonus manga. Actually it's not that I want you to read this story in detail. The production team for ONE PIECE Magazine made a request to me,
"Would it be possible for you to draw a bonus manga which handles "IF" story in which Luffy, Ace and Sabo grow up and have an adventure together?"

I replied to them, "Such a world can't exist considering all three of them want to be a captain".
"If it ever existed, Luffy's personality would be a bit different from what he is now since he would not meet current Straw Hats."
This means collapse of ONE PIECE world. There is no way!!

That being said, I understand that many audience would want to see Luffy, Ace and Sabo as adults talking together in the same panel.
I thought, "If they meet together somewhere, it must be that scene". Only that scene would be able to become "IF" manga.
I can see some audience will strongly object to me. This is why I had to draw this bonus manga as seriously as actual chapter (every week).
I'm sure both Sabo and Luffy suffered from the unchangeable past after they imagined this kind of "IF" story.

This bonus manga doesn't change anything about the main story of ONE PIECE, but it would be appreciated if you enjoy this manga I drew seriously.
Sorry if some of you feel offended after reading it.

September, 2017 Eiichiro Oda
-Here's the third part of the anniversary poster:

Spoiler for poster p.3:

-And of course, we now go to the third and last chapter of the Ace novel! First, here's the cover, drawn by Kazuya Takahashi:

Spoiler for Ace cover 3:

-And more character sketches, these focusing on Ace's lady marine rival, Isca:

Spoiler for Isca:

-And the summary, courtesy of Sandman:

Spoiler for Ace 3 summary:

^The best part is that a sequel novel will be coming alone in the future!

-Here's something else interesting: Oda shows off some early designs for the Vinsmoke family:

Spoiler for Vinsmoke designs:

-And once more, the tunes Oda listened to while drawing:

Spoiler for playlist:

-Lastly.... this info actually doesn't come from the OP Magazine, but rather, the recently-released 23rd Log (basically reprints of past chapters in magazine format). Oda makes a comment about how the Shichibukai came to be. Sandman takes it away once again:

Quote:
Oda: I haven't finished ONE PIECE yet despite the 20-year-serialization. The main reason is these guys (Shichibukai).
At first, I intended to finish ONE PIECE in 5 years. It was supposed to be a story to fight against pirates called Yonkou.
However, I came up with the idea of Shichibukai... I just thought, "It would be badass if these characters showed up". Then as you can see, it caused this long serialization!!

Why didn't I make them Gobukai or Nibukai!! (TN: "Go" means 5, "Ni" means 2 and "Shichi" as in Shichibukai means 7 in Japanese.
In short, Oda is saying he should have reduced the number of Shichibukai.) I thought 7 was a cool number!! That being said, I don't regret it since I drew what I wanted. ...I'm regretting a bit!!
^And accompanying pic:

Spoiler for Shichibukai:

Didn't find any interview stuff yet, but I'll make sure to post it when I do!
Old 2017-09-06, 18:38   Link #477
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Well, I for one am glad he came up with the Schichibukai. I don't think it's fair to put the "blame" on them though
Old 2017-09-06, 21:42   Link #478
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

To think that Luffy's bounty is getting closer to Sabo... I expect that he got around a billion for that but... Oh well.

Still, i relt relieved again to see Zoro vs Sanji again on Episode of Luff. Still, while on Sunny there are Zoro vs Sanji, meanwhile on Sabo he self-rampage XD
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-07, 11:43   Link #479
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I thought Sabo's bounty would be higher too. He's the second in command of the revolutionary army after all.
Old 2017-09-08, 02:44   Link #480
marvelB

In all fairness, Sabo still has one of the higher bounties we've seen in the series, even if it doesn't reach the billion+ range like the top Yonkou officers. My guess is that his youth and inexperience (at least compared to Dragon) are the reason for his current price. Sort of a similar case as his brothers, when you think about it. Lots of potential, but still not quite there at the summit, yet....

And speaking of the Yonkou, I find it interesting that Oda apparently had the concept in mind even early in the series' run. So it was really something he had planned out for a long time (though probably not fully so, considering how wildly Big Mom and Kaidou's current designs contrast with what we first saw at Water 7). I'm still more impressed with the story of how he came up with the Supernovas in a single night during the Sabaody arc's run, though....