AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2017-09-08, 06:34   Link #481
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

No, that's quite impossible since Sabo is on par with an Admiral judging by his power but i think that Sabo rarely causes incident personally rather than Luffy does. If Sabo does like Luffy, the bounty could reach 1.5 billion for sure. Since Dragon is the most wanted man, i think his bounty is above Yonko.

It's quite strange second-in-command receive very low bounty, it's just very strange.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-08, 13:09   Link #482
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I thought Sabo's bounty would be higher too. He's the second in command of the revolutionary army after all.
He's the chief of staff, wherever that fits on the hierarchy of the revolutionary army. While it's true the revolutionaries are directly opposing the WG, the organization is shrouded in so much mystery. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of intel on them in contrast to the yonkou, for instance. The Yonkou go out of their way to make their crimes publicly known. They're pirates, after all. Revolutionaries appear to be more low-profile.

In any case, I expect Dragon will have the highest bounty in the story because of his status and threat level.
Old 2017-09-09, 08:15   Link #483
Theia_Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
In all fairness, Sabo still has one of the higher bounties we've seen in the series, even if it doesn't reach the billion+ range like the top Yonkou officers. My guess is that his youth and inexperience (at least compared to Dragon) are the reason for his current price. Sort of a similar case as his brothers, when you think about it. Lots of potential, but still not quite there at the summit, yet....
To be honest, there is also the fact top Yonkou officers like Katakuri and Jack command swathes of a Yonkou's forces so that would also play a factor.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-09, 11:12   Link #484
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
In any case, I expect Dragon will have the highest bounty in the story because of his status and threat level.
Dragon's bounty is on the top above Yonko's personal bounty. After all, the story already indicates that Dragon is the "Most Wanted Man In The World" so he is guaranteed to be on number 1 on Bounty right now.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-11, 14:24   Link #485
marvelB

Okay, here are a few tidbits from OP Magazine 3's interviews, once again courtesy of Sandman:

Quote:
- Oda planned to draw a manga which handles pirates, witch/wizard or Ninja ever since he was a kid according to editor Kushima.
- Oda originally planned that Doflamingo and Corazon had no blood relationship. Corazon was just one of his subordinates. Doflamingo had no brothers or sisters. Vergo's code name was Sir Dean.
- The name of Donquixote Homing was originally Donquixote Dressking. Dressking and Cobra were good friends.
- Doflamingo thought, "I'm gonna become king of the world!" when he escaped from Marijoa. Then he formed a crime syndicate in "Downs" in North Blue.
- After Roger got executed, Doflamingo made up his mind, "I'm gonna become King of the Pirates!"
- Oda's uric acid level is high due to lack of exercise.
- Oda sometimes skips meals for a few days to focus on his work.
- When an assistant asked Oda what was the most delicious food in his life, he answered that his favorite food was small pieces of cheap pork sold in supermarkets with rice and soy sauce.
- Oda is really grateful to Hisashi Sasaki, Vice President of Global SHONENJUMP since he made a lot of effort to realize the serialization of ONE PIECE despite many editors being against it.
- Oda got angry when his editor told him that none of his female characters were cute before his debut.
- Oda's friend mangaka told him that there was a terrible editor named Sugita. When Sugita met Oda for the first time as his editor, Oda instantly said to him, "Change to another editor!". Sugita was shocked to hear that. Oda says Sugita later turned out to be a good editor.
- Oda complains that current editor Naito is the most low-key editor in his life. Even when Naito praised that this chapter was interesting, Oda wasn't able to trust his words. Oda says editor Sugita was the best editor in this regard. Naito's low-key attitude improved a lot in 2 weeks after Oda's advice.
- When Oda and editor Hattori met for the fist time, Oda asked him if he is married or has a girlfriend. Hattori answered that his wife is pregnant. Oda told him that then he can't give Hattori much work. Hattori was surprised since he thought Oda was a very strict mangaka with editors.
- Oda starts his talk with editor on a phone, "What were your interesting events which happened this week?" since Oda needs to be relaxed after concentrating on manga.
- Amazon Lily arc got more sexy than Oda had planned since he was glad that his editor Hattori got hyped every time he drew sexy characters. Hattori jokingly complains, "Your words sound like I'm just a lecherous editor!"

^I found that info about Doflamingo particularly interesting. Wonder if that thing about his father and Cobra being friends still holds true in the main story....?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-18, 22:31   Link #486
BPD Renegade

Quote:
^I found that info about Doflamingo particularly interesting. Wonder if that thing about his father and Cobra being friends still holds true in the main story....?
Probably not. If they had been friends, it wouldn't make sense for Homing to resort to begging for readmittance into Mariejois instead of contacting Cobra for assistance when things became desperate.

Thanks for always keeping us updated, marvelB.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-31, 20:36   Link #487
marvelB

Well, volume 87 is right upon us.... so you know what THAT means! Credit goes to various sources (chiefly from AP and Oro Jackson forums) for the pics/info:

-Let's start off with something fun: GENDER-BENT ADMIRALS!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

^Granny Fujitora is definitely my favorite! Kizaru's not far behind, though.

-Here's a particularly interesting nugget of info: The brothers Charlotte Katakuri, Daifuku, and Oven are TRIPLETS. The trio are currently 48 years old. Oda also notes that all of Totland's ministers comprise of Big Mom's children, but he focuses more on the triplets with a little misc. info:

Quote:
Charlotte Katakuri - 509cm
Wheat Island's Minister of Flour (Weak Flour Town)
Second Son
Quote:
Charlotte Daifuku - 489cm
Boribori Island's Minister of Beans (Beanbean Town)
Third Son

(Boribori= onomatopoeia for chewing/munching, BTW)
Quote:
Charlotte Oven - 492cm
Baked Goods Island's Minister of Browned Foods (Plump Town)
Fourth Son
-Oda draws a little diagram showing the stages of Baron Tamago's transformations:

Images

-The Vinsmoke children's different hair colors are a result of Judge's gene manipulation. The sole exception, of course, is Sanji, who has inherited his parents' natural hair color.

-The name of Shanks' sword is Griffon (or possibly Gryphon?).

-On the subject of Shanks, here's something interesting: In chapter 862, Oda used some creative symbolism involving the hanafuda cards that the younger Shanks is holding. The game he's playing is called "四光" (Shikou, or "four lights"), but the characters can alternately be read as "Yonkou". In other words, it's an indirect hint to his future as one of the four emperors!

-Another particularly interesting one: Oda reveals why the supernovas Kid and Killer hate curry! When the two were kids, they were both in love with a girl, but they laughed at her when her skin turned brown as a result of eating curry udon. The girl got mad, beat the both of them up, and to this day that trauma is the reason why they both hate curry udon, lol.

-A few more birthdays:

Quote:
Carrot: May 24
Rebecca: August 4
Scarlett (Rebecca's mother): October 28

Aside from that, there's some silly perverted stuff involving Nami, Smoothie, Pudding, etc. Gotta say I find the triplet info the most interesting.... especially considering the most recent chapter revealed Katakuri's full appearance. So, not only do those three not look alike (kinda rare to see fraternal siblings in manga), but both Daifuku and Oven lack the oversized fangs.... huh. I assume people would be more perplexed about the ages, but I personally don't find it that strange. After all, Oda previously said that Linlin gave birth over a 42-year period, but he never said exactly when she started popping out offspring. And it definitely wouldn't be strange if she started getting busy at around 18/19 years old (which would mean that her oldest children like Perospero could be in their fifties!). Frankly, I'm more surprised by their heights.... all three of them are over sixteen freaking feet tall when using non-metric measurements!

Anyway, this was a neat SBS! See you again for volume 88!

Last edited by marvelB; 2017-11-01 at 14:36.
Old 2017-11-01, 12:44   Link #488
Rainbowman

Carrot (the rabbit mink) - Gemini
Rebecca - Leo
Scarlett - Scorpio

Keep those birthdays coming
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-01, 13:52   Link #489
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It really doesn't look like Katakuri is that tall in the manga. Oda went a bit crazy with the numbers there.
Old 2017-11-01, 14:34   Link #490
marvelB

Quote:
It really doesn't look like Katakuri is that tall in the manga. Oda went a bit crazy with the numbers there.
Must be a trick of perspective or something, heh.

Anyway, a little surprised that I haven't seen any comments on the she-admirals yet. Or is it because nobody's interested in older ladies? For shaaaaaame, people!

On a different note, another highlight for me is the story of Kid and Killer's dislike for curry. In particular, I find it interesting that Oda indicated the two were childhood friends (so they must have founded the crew together, then). I guess I just like seeing crews whose members have deep personal ties (like Dofla's crew being comprised of orphans/ruffians he grew up with, Big Mom's top officers in the current arc being mainly made up of her own offspring, etc.). Really makes the story feel more lively, y'know?
Old 2017-12-27, 10:31   Link #491
marvelB

So, last week the 27th Log (again, reprints of past chapters in magazine format) was released, and Oda had a particularly interesting message about not only Law, but the supernovas in general. As translated by AP's Sandman:

Quote:
Question: Who have more highlight scenes than you imagined?(#5)

Oda: I have to mention Law. Actually it's not too much to say that all Supernovas have more highlight scenes than I imagined. I created Supernovas right before the chapter where they got introduced. None of them existed in my plot notebooks before that chapter. I was in desperate situation, worrying, "At this rate, Sabaody arc will not be interesting enough." Then, inspiration for 9 Supernovas came to my mind unconsciously. I should have reduced the number of Supernovas since they were too many, but after all, I made all of them appear in manga!! I'm really surprised they survive till now since I thought about half of them would drop out of tough New World already.

They are worst!! They are the worst generation, indeed.
I imagined Kid would become an important character, but...Law!! I didn't imagine he would become such an important character. Weekly serialization is a wonderland. [Eiichiro Oda]

* Regarding this message, here are some trivia from interviews in 2010 ("Grand Countdown") and 2017.
- The plan for breaking up Straw Hats was already decided when Kuma was introduced in chapter 233. Editor Onishi advised Oda to spice up the story in Sabaody. Oda replied, "Would it be interesting if new characters appear?"
- Only 3 hours after this advice, Oda finished designing all Supernovas.

Images

^I find this particularly interesting since I recall a recent chapter thread where some people complained about the supernovas surviving the NW during the timeskip without any apparent training..... turns out, even Oda himself is surprised to see them all survive (and how important they became to the story at this point), heh.
Old 2017-12-27, 15:26   Link #492
Hoodspirit

meh Kidd.. hoping his role won't get any bigger.
Capone is the only supernova I need.

So it's Onishi's fault for all the pain I went through while the Straw Hats were separated.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-29, 19:49   Link #493
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
So it's Onishi's fault for all the pain I went through while the Straw Hats were separated.
Somewhere in my mind there will come an original character that will bring retribution to erase the pain of separation anxiety or destroy everyone that benefits from it.
Old 2018-01-31, 22:34   Link #494
marvelB

So, the 28th Log was recently released, and Oda had another interesting message to share! As translated by AP's Sandman:

Quote:
Question: Which characters would you like to go into detail about if you had enough time?

Oda: Well, there is a helpful means named "cover story" in ONE PIECE for that purpose... Anyway, there remain some characters I want to go into detail. It would be interesting if I focus on Marines. I can come up with a magnificent story about Garp. I'd like to draw some relationship and talks between him and Akainu, Aokiji, Smoker, Hina, Coby who joined Marines one after another, Cypher Pol and Roger.

It would also be interesting if I focus on Revolutionary Army, mainly Dragon. Why do they intend to make a revolution? With what belief? How did they meet? The story about Luffy's birth would be interesting. Many of those stories would be serious.

All of the stories about their lives lead to Luffy!! OK!! I'll draw Luffy!!

Images
More focus on Garp and Dragon? Sign me up, baby!
Old 2018-03-01, 07:56   Link #495
marvelB

Volume 88 releases this week, so it's SBS time! Credit goes to various folks around AP and other forums for the info:

-The mink tribe's "garchu" greeting comes from the Nepalese तिमीलाई माया गर्छु (Timīlā'ī māyā garchu), meaning "I love you". And on the subject of minks, a reader asks if Carrot and Wanda's chests feel furry or smooth. Yet another reader wants to "garchu" with Nami.... yep, wouldn't be an SBS without the pervy stuff.

-Someone is curious about another of Big Mom's daughters, this panda girl:

Images

^Oda introduces her as Boire, BM's 19th daughter. She's the twin sister of Galette.

-On the subject of the Charlotte family, Oda gives us some more misc. info on a few of them:

Quote:
C. Perospero
333cm
Favorite food: Candy
Least favorite food: Peppermint candy

C. Cracker
307cm
Favorite food: Biscuits
Least favorite food: Kimchi, carbonated drinks

C. Smoothie
464cm
Favorite food: Smoothies
Least favorite food: Meat
-This is particularly interesting: According to Oda, Katakuri was NOT born with his pelican eel-shaped mouth! Apparently, his mouth developed that deformity as a result of eating his food far too quickly (so quickly that others are unable to actually see him eat!). Looks like Oda is even considering adding that nugget of info to the main story at some point....

-Yet another bit of Charlotte family info: The birthday of the eldest triplets (Katakuri, Daifuku, and Oven) is November 25th.

-Looks like Doflamingo is being held in level 6 of Impel Down.

-Here's another real interesting one: Oda makes his own list of the nationalities and occupations of the "worst generation" (excluding Luffy and Zoro) if they were in the real world:

Quote:
Blackbeard

Job: Archaeologist

Eustass "Captain" Kid

Job: Weapons dealer (Apparently, Killer shares the same nationality/job as Kid)

Trafalgar Law

Job: Doctor

Capone "Gang" Bege

Job: Shoe salesman

Scratchmen Apoo

Job: DJ

Basil Hawkins

Job: Interior Designer

X Drake

Job: Zoo keeper

Jewelry Bonney

Job: Pizza shop owner

Urouge

Job: Hostess club manager
-Big Mom is 8.8 meters tall (roughly around 29 feet). But while Oda notes that makes her taller than Whitebeard (did we ever get his height? I forgot), she's still not quite up there with the average fully-grown giant, whose heights reach 12 meters (about 39 feet) at the minimum.

Lots of fascinating trivia this time around! Looks like Luffy will never be friends with Smoothie if she hates meat, heh. I'm intrigued by that list of real-world jobs for the worst generation, as well.... I especially like how Oda alluded to his previous statement about Blackbeard's interest in history by making him an archaeologist. Somali is an interesting choice of nationality, too (it does make sense though, what with the piracy and all). But I otherwise find myself most amused by Urouge's profession! A fallen monk, indeed! I'll be sure to post any more cool info if it pops up!
Old 2018-03-01, 12:13   Link #496
Rainbowman

With Katakuri, Daifuku, and Oven, November 25 would make them Sagittarius triplets. As for the information on the “worst generation”, what are the connections between the nationalities and the occupations? I.E.: What does being a Pizza Shop owner have to do with being from Australia? 🤔
Old 2018-06-01, 06:18   Link #497
marvelB

Volume 89 is out, and you know what that means, boys and girls! credit goes to various sources (mainly AP) for the pics and info:

-This is a cool one: A fan asks how Ace would look if he lived to grow older. Oda obliges with drawings of Ace in his 40s/60s:

Images

^Amusingly, the two bottom pics (with the less handsome Ace) represent how he'd look in reality, lol (he even asks Luffy to lend him cash in one of those drawings!).

-And even cooler, Oda does the same for Luffy:

Images

^Note that older Luffy resembles Garp (at least in the top pics), much like how young Garp resembled Luffy. Also, in one of the "reality" drawings, he says, "Pirate King? In your dreams". Er.... wow.

-We learn the favorite/least favorite foods of Crocodile and Mr. 1! Crocodile's favorite foods are crocodile meat and tomatoes, but he dislikes ketchup. As for Mr. 1, he likes raw ham, but hates roast pork. Interestingly, Oda adds that the reason why Croc kept all those banana crocs was because he was raising them for their meat!

-Someone asks if Nami's cold attitude towards Caesar is something she learned from Robin. Oda responds that that fan should reread Punk Hazard and refresh their memory on how horrible a person Caesar was. He also adds that there's only two types of people Nami are genuinely nice to: Lovely children, and lovely women. On the other hand, her disgust for people like Caesar runs deep.

-Oda reveals Smoothie's DF ability! She has the powers of the Shibo Shibo no Mi ("shibo" meaning to squeeze). She's a "dehydration human" who not only squeezes juice out of her targets, but also dehydrates anyone she cuts with her sword! She then adds that moisture to herself, which is how she grows in size and increases her own strength! A powerful one, indeed...

-Big Mom's 15th son, Noisette, is the minister of finance (so not all her children have food-related jobs....).

- Someone asks about Charlotte Flampe's rankings for the best brothers and sisters. Oda makes some lists:

Images

-Katakuri's least favorite food is ramen. Also, apparently he doesn't sleep on a bed, but merely sleeps with his back against a wall.

-Here's another interesting one: Someone asks why Luffy seemed completely powerless when his Gear 4 wore off against Doflamingo, yet he was able to run around just fine when it wore off against Katakuri. Oda responds that Luffy was indeed capable of running from Doflamingo for those 10 minutes, but since he had so many people helping him at the time, he chose to rest and regain his strength. However, even if he didn't get help, he still would have eventually prevailed against Dofla on his own.....

Well now, this was a pretty neat SBS if I do say so, myself! I'll be sure to post any more juice info when it pops up!
Old 2018-06-01, 10:29   Link #498
Blackbeard D. Kuma

^Thanks for the cool info, marvelB.

So Luffy was undisputedly stronger than Doffy in the end. Nice to finally put that debate to bed.
Old 2018-06-01, 12:42   Link #499
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Those drawings of Luffy and Ace are really cool. Thanks for sharing them.

I'm a bit confused about Flampe's rankings. How is one considered an older brother/sister or a younger brother/sister? You'd think her own age would act as the metric, but Pudding is in the younger sister list even though she's older than her.
Old 2018-06-01, 16:05   Link #500
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
^Amusingly, the two bottom pics (with the less handsome Ace) represent how he'd look in reality, lol (he even asks Luffy to lend him cash in one of those drawings!).

^Note that older Luffy resembles Garp (at least in the top pics), much like how young Garp resembled Luffy. Also, in one of the "reality" drawings, he says, "Pirate King? In your dreams". Er.... wow.
Are you sure about that reality thing? I heard elsewhere that those bottom pics are futures where things go wrong for them and they end up differently. Luffy gives up on his dream and Ace becomes a mooch who asks the Straw Hats for money.
Quote:
Those drawings of Luffy and Ace are really cool. Thanks for sharing them.

I'm a bit confused about Flampe's rankings. How is one considered an older brother/sister or a younger brother/sister? You'd think her own age would act as the metric, but Pudding is in the younger sister list even though she's older than her.
I'm sure each sibling votes for one brother and sister both older and younger then them and Flampe got the most younger sister votes.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote