AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2020-08-28, 00:27   Link #621
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It will likely be Tarou Aso, an even bigger racist xenophobe than Abe only a lot stupider and even more incompetent. At some point the shy price (Koizumi's son) will likely make a play for the LDP leadership, but if they go into the next election under Aso - who's already failed miserably as PM once - the opposition may have a real chance. The CDPJ just absorbed the Democratic Party and became an even bigger threat to the LDP.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-28, 20:15   Link #622
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The real reason Abe quit:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/japans...777neeJVkS9s-c
Old 2020-08-28, 23:22   Link #623
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Ah yes, the tabloids explaining his resignation...

I won't deny that Abe has a TON of scandals looming over his head (one of the reasons why I think he should've stepped down ultimately, whether sooner or later), but as we're seeing with another certain country *coughUSAcough*, no matter how many of the lower positions fall or get arrested and go to jail, the leader somehow remains in power.

(Though to be fair, the USA is in a very different quagmire with politics)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-29, 01:27   Link #624
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Deck chairs on the Titanic.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2020-08-29 at 06:01.
Old 2020-08-29, 03:25   Link #625
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Been checking on who are potential candidates according to Japanese/foreign media as of now.

- Taro Aso (Deputy PM)
- Yoshihide Suga (Chief Cabinet Secretary)
- Fumio Kishida (LDP Policy Chief)
- Seiko Noda (Ex-MIAC head)
- Taro Kono (Current MOD head)
- Shigeru Ishiba

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-29, 08:46   Link #626
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Tarou Asou is old enough that he appears in 2010's The Legend of Koizumi. He turns 80 in September.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-29, 09:02   Link #627
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

For an LDP politician, that's just entering his prime.
Old 2020-08-29, 12:14   Link #628
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The current largest opposition party - the CDPJ - is a genuinely progressive, left-of-center party. They oppose militarization, favor gay marriage and increased immigration and taxation on corporations, and are very strongly feminist and pro-environment. The problem is that historically Japanese voters have almost never voted for politicians who espouse those positions, and even as the largest opposition party the CDPJ (which is basically the left half of the basically defunct DPJ, which actually did win an election and run the country for a few years) is a tiny force in the Diet.
For good reason. The last time they ran the country it failed pretty badly. They tried to tear down the system only to find they themselves can't actually handle running the country. They may have some good ideas but their competence is another thing entirely. And that's comparing to the LDP. I sure as hell don't trust the CDPJ to deal with the PRC in an increasingly hostile Asia for one thing when they can't even govern domestically. Ironically, the JCP looks more trustworthy than the CDPJ now TBH

Not to mention that elements of the Japanese left is just as if not more extreme than their right. Everyone remembers the JRA and the stigma is one Japan's left won't easily shake off. Although most of those are gone some of their influence still remains

I hope Kono takes over TBH. He seems like the only competent one in the running. Koizumi's son is too junior to run it seems. Too bad Aso premiership is more likely

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2020-08-29 at 12:35.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-29, 15:16   Link #629
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

What a crock.

Edano Yukio is a mainstream center-left politician, and demonstrably competent at every stage of his political career. In European terms a Social Democrat. The CDPJ is absorbing the DPJ and becoming a more powerful opposition as a result, and should be able to field a full slate of competitive candidates in the 2021 lower house election. If the LDP makes the wrong choice for successor (which they inevitably will) it could be that rarest of events, a competitive Japanese election.
Old 2020-08-29, 18:52   Link #630
n0m@n
C-Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I hope Kono takes over TBH. He seems like the only competent one in the running. Koizumi's son is too junior to run it seems. Too bad Aso premiership is more likely
I also hope Kono to be the next prime minister.
I just cant trust the other potential candidates.
Aso would simply be the Japanese version of Trump.
n0m@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-29, 20:28   Link #631
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Analysis so far:

Aso - Not going to contend. He’ll back whoever the party wants to
back.
Koshida - Could be, but lacks charisma.
Suga - Almost everyone wants him to be interim PM.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2020-08-30, 00:12   Link #632
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
What a crock.

Edano Yukio is a mainstream center-left politician, and demonstrably competent at every stage of his political career. In European terms a Social Democrat. The CDPJ is absorbing the DPJ and becoming a more powerful opposition as a result, and should be able to field a full slate of competitive candidates in the 2021 lower house election. If the LDP makes the wrong choice for successor (which they inevitably will) it could be that rarest of events, a competitive Japanese election.
Have the CDPJ (ex DPJ) even addressed whether they will change direction from when they were in power in 2009-2010? Also so many of the main opposition names have switched parties so often, who knows if this new coalition won't collapse again shortly after. Edano Yukio is just one man even if he's more or less ok but Abe himself didn't define LDP policy alone. Are they going to try to recruit proven local governers like the Osaka one?
Old 2020-08-30, 01:54   Link #633
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

There are already governors elected as independents with CDPJ support who support the CDPJ. And it's wrong to call the CDPJ "ex-DPJ". It was formed as a new party when its members grew dissatisfied with the DPJ (which still exists, and is only know folding itself into the CDPJ) capitulating to the right-wing to try and survive.
Old 2020-09-02, 02:18   Link #634
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Professor Nagy on his thoughts on potential interim LDP leaders. Note that I know him and he's on my contacts in Linkedin.

Sidenote: Motegi is a big troublesome with at least parts of the expat community. Someone I know in my Linkedin shared a story where he acted rude/(maybe) sexist towards a foreign Japan Times reporter who lived in Japan for a long time and married.

Old 2020-09-02, 03:33   Link #635
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That Motegi press conference story is getting a lot of play. He was a long shot anyway but that isn’t helping him - it was a really disgusting display.

The dirty little secret, of course, is that it doesn’t matter - all these guys are effectively the same. Some are a bit more clumsy in how they hide their racism, that’s all.
Old 2020-09-02, 06:39   Link #636
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
TOKYO (Kyodo) -- The ruling Liberal Democratic Party decided Tuesday to exclude rank-and-file members from its leadership election that will effectively select Japan's next prime minister, likely benefiting Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga, who has emerged as the front-runner after securing the backing of a majority of party lawmakers.

The move was viewed as a setback for [Shigeru] Ishiba, a vocal critic of Abe and the prime minister's sole rival in the previous LDP leadership race in 2018. While popular among the public, Ishiba, 63, lacks broad support among fellow lawmakers.

A recent Kyodo News poll showed Ishiba was the most popular choice to be the next prime minister, gaining 34.3 percent of support, followed by Suga at 14.3 percent, Defense Minister Taro Kono at 13.6 percent, Environment Minister Shinjiro Koizumi at 10.1 percent and Kishida at 7.5 percent.
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...0m/0na/086000c
Old 2020-09-02, 09:49   Link #637
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

https://www.nst.com.my/world/world/2...-party-backing

Suga's throwing his hat to be the interim PM.

Old 2020-09-13, 17:49   Link #638
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

LDP hints at a snap election in October after the leadership struggle concludes, and the opposition is disorganized.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...snap-election/

However the LDP's junior partner in the ruling coalition, Komeito, is opposed to a snap election.
Old 2020-09-14, 04:17   Link #639
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Well, Suga has been elected for at least interim PM

I guess he has tons of support from within the party (no doubt in part to others lobbying for him), but what gives me concern is that apparently, when the Reiwa Era started and a bunch of Abe's scandals came to light, Suga was looked at for possibly replacing him back then... however, Suga seems to be better at more administrative duties (i.e. shuffling around who is where) than being in the spotlight as PM. If this is completely true, then I would hope that in a future actual election someone else (hell, maybe from the opposition party, whether that's a good idea or not) would end up as PM- just so long as it's not Taro Aso.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-14, 10:47   Link #640
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've heard and read critiques of Suga's stoic and reserved demeanor, a vivid contrast from Abe, but one important concern is that he has no experience in foreign policy.

Tags
japan, politics