AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Asatte no Houkou

Notices

Old 2006-10-10, 22:24   Link #81
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
exactly what i thought people should learn how to phrase their wishes better. I think the reason why im so attracted to this premise is the older brother. He very mysterious already and left his g/f without saying anything. I really want to know the backstory between those 2. Now heres the big question
I guess maybe I didn't find it that surprising because all of the preview material indicated it was going to be a "be careful what you wish for" thing - so I already knew the ending of the first episode. I'm also very interested in the brother though - we learn just about nothing about him (I think that's why they almost never draw his eyes). Even his question to his ex is rather ambiguous, it could be sarcastic, hurtful, or an honest question. I figured I would like this show (I love the "be careful what you wish for" parable), but I didn't realize I would enjoy the first episode this much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
Regarding the brother having romantic feelings for his sister, I doubt this is going to happen because of the so-called Westermarck effect that was used in Koi Kaze and is socially and historically proven.
The problem, of course (and I'm a big fan of Westermark's research and bring it up all the time) is that anime usually ignores it and just goes with Freud's theory that we're all lusting after our relatives. Also, it's important to note that the Westermarck effect deals in generalities, not specifics. While it's true that in general you're not going to sexually imprint on someone you've been raised with (regardless of whether or not that person is a relative), in a specific situation it's not necessarily true. Interesting point though, hopefully they've read about it - 'cause I got a freaky siscon vibe from the brother.
Though, of course, it's just the first episode - so chances are that I'm just seeing it and it's not there.
Old 2006-10-10, 22:40   Link #82
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

WE ARE ALL LUSTING FOR OUR RELATIVES. LOL. (Well, he's right in a sense that one may be lusting for his wife ... but ... )

With the infinitesimal knowledge I have of psychology I still think that Freud wasn't right all the way ... he was, after all (and this may be a flawed argument, but I don't care) afraid of ferns. Yep.

But aside from that, new researches on the mind and psyche of the human being are overturning his insights on the thoughts of man; it still is a force to be reckoned with, however.

It would destroy the show if the brother had a siscon ... OMG PLEASE NO.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 22:59   Link #83
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I confess to being a bit puzzled by this, too. Are Karada and Amino the same age? Because it seems like he's, er... into her... But he also looks about 5 years older which would make this, shall we say, edgy?
At around 12:15, Amino Touko (the big sister) says they are classmates. Earlier, at around 7:35, Amino Tetsuya (the younger brother) says they are entering middle school next year. So this is the summer when they are 11 or maybe 12, it appears. He's big and she's small. Touko says something about that just after 7:35: that her brother is so big, but he's still a little kid.

I just realized that Hiro (the big brother) is played by Satoshi Hino, who was Yuuji in Shakugan no Shana and Saitou in Zero no Tsukaima.

Itou Shizuka
, who plays Shouko so well, was Rei in Marimite and Iori in I"s Pure. She is in four (!) of the new series this fall: Happiness (as Saya), Yoake-mae yori Ruri-iro na Crescent Love (as Wreathlit Noel), and Pumpkin Scissors (as Alice), as well as this one. She's 25.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 23:01   Link #84
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
WE ARE ALL LUSTING FOR OUR RELATIVES. LOL. (Well, he's right in a sense that one may be lusting for his wife ... but ... )

With the infinitesimal knowledge I have of psychology I still think that Freud wasn't right all the way ... he was, after all (and this may be a flawed argument, but I don't care) afraid of ferns. Yep.

But aside from that, new researches on the mind and psyche of the human being are overturning his insights on the thoughts of man; it still is a force to be reckoned with, however.

It would destroy the show if the brother had a siscon ... OMG PLEASE NO.
Well, that's kind of my point. While lots of research indicates Freud's views aren't that accurate - unfortunately most anime doesn't really recognize that. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong about the siscon thing too.
Old 2006-10-10, 23:04   Link #85
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
At around 12:15, Amino Touko (the big sister) says they are classmates. Earlier, at around 7:35, Amino Tetsuya (the younger brother) says they are entering middle school next year. So this is the summer when they are 11 or maybe 12, it appears. He's big and she's small. Touko says something about that just after 7:35: that her brother is so big, but he's still a little kid.

I just realized that Hiro (the big brother) is played by Satoshi Hino, who was Yuuji in Shakugan no Shana and Saitou in Zero no Tsukaima.

Itou Shizuka
, who plays Shouko so well, was Rei in Marimite and Iori in I"s Pure. She is in four (!) of the new series this fall: Happiness (as Saya), Yoake-mae yori Ruri-iro na Crescent Love (as Wreathlit Noel), and Pumpkin Scissors (as Alice), as well as this one. She's 25.
Well I caught that, Kaoru, but I just wanted to be sure I wasn't misinterpreting - because really, he looks about 16 and she looks maybe nine. Still - that should make the romantic side of the whole switch thing rather complicated...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 23:07   Link #86
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Quote:
Thanks, Kaoru Chujo. (So Karada is another Hagu-case )

And I agree with the rest, I have my worries after the twist, but hope it'll end in the best. Also, I don't mind if the two siblings end together. *waves incest flags* Especially since what Guardian Enzo said about the complex is true. Now she's older than the possible romantice interest Amino, that'll leave us with the brother... kekeke.

Last edited by Lilith; 2006-10-10 at 23:10. Reason: Added comment about Guardian Enzo post~
Lilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 23:58   Link #87
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
Thanks, Kaoru Chujo. (So Karada is another Hagu-case )

And I agree with the rest, I have my worries after the twist, but hope it'll end in the best. Also, I don't mind if the two siblings end together. *waves incest flags* Especially since what Guardian Enzo said about the complex is true. Now she's older than the possible romantice interest Amino, that'll leave us with the brother... kekeke.
Well, though, I dunno if it rules out the romance with Amino. It sorts of turns the tables, which is why it might get interesting. In actuality, they look a lot more like a couple after the switch.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 04:02   Link #88
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I confess to being a bit puzzled by this, too. Are Karada and Amino the same age? Because it seems like he's, er... into her... But he also looks about 5 years older which would make this, shall we say, edgy?
Yes, they are. If you look at the character page on the official website that

a. Karada is short for her age
b. Amino's tall for his age to the point that he could be mistaken as a high-school student (this was discussed in the first episode)

(Oops, I left the window open too long and a lot of people answered his question while I had forgotten to send the post. Sorry >_>)

At least older Karada doesn't look like a middle-school student unlike Hagu.

By the way, I forgot to mention this earlier, but when I first saw Karada's charater design it felt very Ikuko Ito-ish because the colour design and the hairband immediately brought me back to Ahiru from Princess Tutu.
Old 2006-10-11, 04:17   Link #89
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Lunar definitely can choose what they sub well. Kaoru, when does this air in Japan again?
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 04:38   Link #90
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
when does this air in Japan again?
25:55 10/12

also known as 1:55 10/13.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 04:41   Link #91
NeoSam

Quote:
Lunar definitely can choose what they sub well. Kaoru, when does this air in Japan again?
Always check this site for info about when anime is beginning:

http://www.mahou.org/Showtime/?o=ET

The second episode is starting about 7 hours from now
Old 2006-10-11, 06:14   Link #92
AisuruMirai
箱者

Quote:
Regarding the brother having romantic feelings for his sister, I doubt this is going to happen because of the so-called Westermarck effect that was used in Koi Kaze and is socially and historically proven. It states that siblings growing up with one another desensitize themselves from getting sexually interested in each other. From what I've read (and remembered), historical proof of this were found in the Israeli kibbutz of the 1950s where children who were in a close-knit community lived as siblings, and as a result didn't have any romantic interest in one another despite not being true ones.

This was what Koi Kaze utilized: the separation of genetic siblings from one another in their early childhood will probably have an effect in them being sexually interested in one another at the onset of their adulthood. I'm no psychology major, and I only know the general details, but I doubt that Hiro will be interested in Karada despite her more mature (and sizzling hot) look. But this is an anime, so anything can be expected ...

You make a good point. I want to add that mangaka & anime writers simply don't believe in or don't know about the Westermarck effect. Otherwise the osananajimi (childhood friend) romance--the cheapest, most idiotic, most overdone cliche in all of anime (maybe)-- wouldn't be the driving force that it is in so many storylines. I was wondering just yesterday, while thinking about the many-headed beast that is Kanon, why it's so prevalent, why the anime & game industries, & the men to whom it caters (& others, of course), are so keen on associating the innocence & simplicity of childrens' sentiments w/ romance & sexuality. Based on the sensitivity of the writing in the first episode, I sort of doubt that it will be an issue w/ Asatte no Houkou--I hope like hell--but then again, the manga is featured in a seinen (young men's) publication.

I've gotta stop right now before I get angry...

*grumble, grumble*
アイスル未来
AisuruMirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 06:25   Link #93
Rion
Ramune~

Haha, the "Hagu-case". I like that... this little girl is going to become a celebrity.

Quote:
Otherwise the osananajimi (childhood friend) romance--the cheapest, most idiotic, most overdone cliche in all of anime (maybe)
Hehe, theoretically I believe in the Westermarck effect, even though it actually is not that widespread. But practically I know that when I was a small little girl, I seriously wanted to marry my cousin - since he was the best and closest guy to me of all... etc. And then I know of a friend's parents who were neighbours since their childhood - it's not like these stories are totally unlikely.
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 06:33   Link #94
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Otherwise the osananajimi (childhood friend) romance--the cheapest, most idiotic, most overdone cliche in all of anime (maybe)
What about the teenager with hidden superpowers who becomes the best fighter or pilot or magician in the world? That cliche has to be even more overdone. But it's true the childhood friend cliche can be very annoying indeed.

And now I know why the background art reminds me of Simoun - apparently the art director is the same. I so can't wait for the second episode, it will be quite dilemma whther to watch the raw or not but I will probably be unable to resist the temptation.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 08:22   Link #95
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Always check this site for info about when anime is beginning:

http://www.mahou.org/Showtime/?o=ET

The second episode is starting about 7 hours from now
Actually, it was 31 hours from the time of your posting. About 27 hours now.
Old 2006-10-11, 12:48   Link #96
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCreator View Post
Actually, it was 31 hours from the time of your posting. About 27 hours now.
Ahh yes you are right >.< that list is not perfect >.<

Edit:

Damn it >.< I want the raw now >.<

Last edited by NeoSam; 2006-10-11 at 12:54. Reason: >.<
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 13:33   Link #97
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Ahh yes you are right >.< that list is not perfect >.<....
In order to check if my own calendar was right (it was), I looked at the Shoboi Calendar page for Asatte and the official site's broadcast times page. MoonPhase says 25:55 Thursday (i.e., 1:55 am Friday) but the starting time actually jumps around a bit on TBS, within a fifteen-minute span. I'm wondering if this is what happens to so-called "minor" shows. Must make setting your PVR a trial.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-10-11 at 13:46.
Old 2006-10-11, 15:07   Link #98
Vulcannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AisuruMirai View Post
You make a good point. I want to add that mangaka & anime writers simply don't believe in or don't know about the Westermarck effect.
If anything I think the Westermarck effect would point towards Hiro developing feelings. Afterall, his sister has always been this younger girl. Now suddenly he'll be confronted with a woman, an image he doesn't associate with his sister, yet the family familiarity will all be there. My guess is they'll just use that for angsty effect, but it will be interesting to see how well they handle it. Here's hoping they do as good a job as Koi Kaze rather than some other less serious (harem) shows.

Anyone else out there like the character design for adult Shouko? It's too bad she has to be in kid form for some of the time. I think they did a pretty good job with all the female characters actually, though I don't like how different in age Karada and Tetsuya look. No more Hagu's, please.
Vulcannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 15:43   Link #99
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcannis View Post
...Anyone else out there like the character design for adult Shouko? It's too bad she has to be in kid form for some of the time. I think they did a pretty good job with all the female characters actually, though I don't like how different in age Karada and Tetsuya look. No more Hagu's, please.
I love the character design for the adult Shouko. She seems such a real person, and so beautiful, and her depression comes through. I can't remember any design quite like it.

But as for Hagu, I am among the few who actively liked how she was designed. Besides the moe factor, it was also outward demonstration of inner nature, and allowed her to visibly grow over the series (and the manga). Karada is no doubt also made young partly to make her look cute, but I think the story will make use of the contrast in some way.

Does the name "Karada" sound odd in Japanese? I mean, it is a homophone for a word for "body."

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-10-11 at 21:11.
Old 2006-10-11, 17:32   Link #100
Vulcannis

Quote:
I love the character design for the adult Touko. She seems such a real person, and so beautiful, and her depression comes through. I can't remember any design quite like it.
Adult Touko? Do you mean adult Shouko, or Touko Amino? If you mean Shouko then yah I agree... I love her passive stares into infinity, like during the train ride. Her child form is the least interesting of the designs though, IMO. Touko's cool too, she seemed to figure out everyone's situation pretty quickly. Unfortunately I don't see her in the official site's character section, I guess she'll be pretty minor then. Hrm, I had assumed there would be some love-triangle stuff going on with her and Shouko, but if she isn't even listed... maybe this gives more reason to suspect Karada for that role? Assuming they go the love triangle route at all, of course... but even with just the characters they have pictured they could have a few different setups of contesting triangles so I can't see them ignoring them completely.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it more I bet that's exactly what'll happen: 2 triangles, Karada-Shouko-Hiro and Karada-Shouko-Tetsuya. Good enough, I guess, but I hope I'm wrong and they do something more interesting than that.

Quote:
But as for Hagu, I am among the few who actively liked how she was designed. Besides the moe factor, it was also outward demonstration of inner nature, and allowed her to visibly grow over the series (and the manga). Karada is no doubt also made young partly to make her look cute, but I think the story will make use of the contrast in some way.
Well, I was fine with her in the beginning despite it being a little jarring... and I liked how she appeared older in some of the later episodes. I just wish she had more obviously matured (looks wise) by the end.

Last edited by Vulcannis; 2006-10-11 at 19:57.
Vulcannis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, fantasy, j.c. staff, romance, seinen, slice of life, supernatural