Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-08, 02:17   Link #341
v1cious

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post

And the multiple choice question:

What makes Shenhua such an amazing character?
a) Her unique style of fighting skill

b) Her particular way of speaking that probably made every Black Lagoon fan smile at least once

c) Her dress

Spoiler:

Spot on! It cracked me up to no end when understanding finally brought forth.
what was with the voice change later in the episode? she sounded more Japanese than Chinese.
v1cious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-08, 12:20   Link #342
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1cious View Post
what was with the voice change later in the episode? she sounded more Japanese than Chinese.
Nope, the same voice-actress merely turned off the playfulness and turned dead business serious when her character was refused the 30,000 dollars that she rightfully deserved for such a lethal job.

Nice performance.
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-08, 13:20   Link #343
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Not only does Shenhua deserve her own spin-off mini series.. but so does the all mighty Rotton.. he's my new legend of the year. :3
Old 2006-11-08, 13:38   Link #344
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:

I believe the animators will disagree with you for they have took a peak under her skirt to have a panty-flash-vision whenever they could which is more than the amount of panties shown in the recent episode of, sayyyyy.. Sumomomomo~.
yea but momoko is moe jane is annoying but id must admit that kiss with benny boy was hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Aquila View Post
As an answer to the above question:

Spoiler:

"Dokyo" (道教) means "Taoism."
Spoiler:
its wise cracks like this that makes me love this show even more! the piss they take out of religion, race etc is just dam well funny! anyone who finds them offensive needs a sense of humor fitted in tbh

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-08, 14:36   Link #345
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Not only does Shenhua deserve her own spin-off mini series.. but so does the all mighty Rotton.. he's my new legend of the year. :3
Interestingly enough, I think the amount of page-space a character recieves at the end of Tankoubon parodies of Black Lagoon are very indicative of the author's prioritization of the characters: Dutch and Benny, not too much, Rock and Revy, more, the Twins and Balalaika... well, the author really likes them. Chang gets occasionaly featured, Eda makes a cameo once or twice, Roberta and Diego show up sometimes as well... the Gangster Paradise crew gets their exclusive feature at the end of volume 5...

Do you see now? No Shenhua.

I think, when I have time, I'll scanlate one of parody episodes.
Old 2006-11-08, 17:35   Link #346
Cal-Reflector

Sorry for the double post, but I'm sure you'll forgive me: The Parody Omake at the end of volume three of Black Lagoon, "Balalaika no Yuutsu," or, "The Melancholy of Balalaika." No spoilers, big images.

I should also confess, that this was the inspiration for my OTP (Favorite paring) of this series: Gretel and Diego.

Spoiler for Cookies Please?:
Old 2006-11-08, 19:30   Link #347
mtko

Quote:
Just watched 12 as anti depressent and...

Wahahahaha!! I thought Marujuana was meant to make you happy!! Just made the whole damn thing WORSE for Poor-Ol Rock!!

And I seriously suspect the doped up Irish is well into his 40's, considering he mentioned (however doped up) that the cops wouldn't let him into Peace Park for Woodstock...

Does Marujuana make you relive your most memorable moments or something?
The author probably has experience, unfortunately :x .
mtko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-08, 20:36   Link #348
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Firstly, which character is Momoko?

Secondly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post

its wise cracks like this that makes me love this show even more! the piss they take out of religion, race etc is just dam well funny! anyone who finds them offensive needs a sense of humor fitted in tbh
Black Lagoon is one of those refreshingly frank Post 9-11 texts that makes no romanticized pretences of "racial unity" and "religious tolerance."

Look at Australia, my current country of residence (not by choice, I was too young to say nay when I came here) for instance:

16 Years as a Passport Holding Citizen, and I always get asked:

"Where are you from" on virtue of my big yellow Asian face.

When I say I truthfully answer "I'm an Australian", the redneck-fucks invariably ask "Yes, but where are you really from."

And if the western world is truly tolerant, would "Thai/Irish/Italian/Hongkie/Taiwanese/ETC Only nights" at pubs (where I do security at) still be necessary? And whoa boy Australia is so enthusiastically emulating its big-brother America that ugly thousands-participant race-riots is STILL a reality in supposedly "cosmopolitian" cities like Sydney.

Perchance next time I should just say to their face "Are You An Aboriginal? Do You Speak Aboriginal" Then You're NOT an Australian Either, Fellow Invader!!" Let's see them rebutt THAT.

Such realities we "politely" refuse to talk about out of respect for "political correctness." It is comforting to see Black Lagoon being more honest about the ugliness of bigotry, albeit a little more exaggerated.

Last edited by Ronin Aquila; 2006-11-08 at 21:25.
Old 2006-11-09, 00:51   Link #349
Cal-Reflector

Quick thoughts on episode 18:

1)Lucky Benny... No, seriously, that was some reward. I'll bet even Rock looked on with more than a little longing; "Don't I get anything for keeping you alive all along?"

2)Shenhua, pretty ugly looking injury, in fact, serious enough that if left alone, which she presumed would be her fate, she would die.

3)Rotton-Shenhua moment = Awwwwwww. Fluff! In Black Lagoon! After all that, Rotton walks away from it all with barely, haven't done shise, and gets the good fortune of rescuing the beauty and looking cool in the end. Another lucky bastard indeed. The grudging compliment (?) he received from Shenhua at the end makes me think he may have a future ahead of him.

4)Eda minus glasses = A very fine lookin' American lady. For all that is good and just, I demand that she go without sunglasses from now on. The question is: Is she still under the employment of "The Company" or not?

5)I'm sure someone can answer this: The reason for the tears that the Cleanup chainsaw lady shed after she dropped her voice box.

Edit: More (crack)fic ideas popping up:
A) Rotton switches jobs and joins a host club, following Shenhua's advice, who comes to pay him a visit afterwards.

B) Day in the life of chainsaw lady.
Old 2006-11-09, 01:20   Link #350
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Frankly, the more I look at Dutch the more I'm reminded of Hard Gay....
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 02:21   Link #351
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Well, Dutch is a big-muscled and bearded/mostached Vietnam Vet...

....and wasn't that part of the Dance-Lineup for the Village-People's famous "Y-M-C-A" dance number?
Old 2006-11-09, 05:10   Link #352
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Aquila
Firstly, which character is Momoko?
She is a character from this series you may find amusing. If you followed the link, the synopsis in the bottom will give you a better idea what that show is about. Btw, thanks for clearing the term "Dokyo."
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 15:48   Link #353
Zelda1

Cal_Reflector Thank You!!!

You just made my week. Espec. the panel with the panicked kittens in the cage! :#
Zelda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 16:12   Link #354
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda1 View Post
Cal_Reflector Thank You!!!

You just made my week. Espec. the panel with the panicked kittens in the cage! :#
You're welcome! I couldn't decide which were the cutest: Those cats or the Twins, but with parodies like these, its hard for me not to think of the twins as adorable... even moe to an extent.
Old 2006-11-09, 17:45   Link #355
ImClueless
Rawr

Quote:
Black Lagoon is one of those refreshingly frank Post 9-11 texts that makes no romanticized pretences of "racial unity" and "religious tolerance."

Look at Australia, my current country of residence (not by choice, I was too young to say nay when I came here) for instance:

16 Years as a Passport Holding Citizen, and I always get asked:

"Where are you from" on virtue of my big yellow Asian face.

When I say I truthfully answer "I'm an Australian", the redneck-fucks invariably ask "Yes, but where are you really from."

And if the western world is truly tolerant, would "Thai/Irish/Italian/Hongkie/Taiwanese/ETC Only nights" at pubs (where I do security at) still be necessary? And whoa boy Australia is so enthusiastically emulating its big-brother America that ugly thousands-participant race-riots is STILL a reality in supposedly "cosmopolitian" cities like Sydney.

Perchance next time I should just say to their face "Are You An Aboriginal? Do You Speak Aboriginal" Then You're NOT an Australian Either, Fellow Invader!!" Let's see them rebutt THAT.

Such realities we "politely" refuse to talk about out of respect for "political correctness." It is comforting to see Black Lagoon being more honest about the ugliness of bigotry, albeit a little more exaggerated.

I find the characters in Black Lagoon are remarkably racially and religiously tolerant. Much more so than mainstream society for sure. I think its all because none of them are idealists and the only thing they are after is profit. It helps that as criminals most of them do not have a religious bend. The things that divide people the most are religion and historic racial prejudice I think.

I personally do not see Black Lagoon as a show which depicts racial and religious tension all that realistically. For the ethnically diverse Black Lagoon company to get along so well with the Russians and Chinese triads and the locals (not to mention the gangs with each other) is quite optimistic even if they are motivated entirely by profit. The only part that was somewhat realistic was the religious fervor displayed by the jihadists at the end of the first season IMO.

Damn, I have heard before that there were a lot of racist bigots in Australia. Now more confirmation on that front I guess. Note to self: Do Not Emigrate to Australia. I live in Vancouver, Canada which is probably one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world (50+% of the population are immigrants, so that does not count the minorities born here). Even though we claim to be a tolerant and multicultural place, there is plenty of bigotry to go around, its simply perhaps not as overt as in other places. Its not even a issue of Whites vs Non-whites since there is plenty of racism within the immigrant communities themselves. Like East-Indians versus Philipinos or the like. I don't think human societies will ever achieve unity until we all have the same culture/education/racial characteristics.
ImClueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 17:59   Link #356
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
You're welcome! I couldn't decide which were the cutest: Those cats or the Twins, but with parodies like these, its hard for me not to think of the twins as adorable... even moe to an extent.
Btw, does it hint on who dared to be Balalaika's husband?
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 18:45   Link #357
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Btw, does it hint on who dared to be Balalaika's husband?
Yeah, I wrote it in small font, but Balalaika's husband is Chang-San, from the Hong Kong Triad.

It makes perfect sense... well, not perfect, but as much sense as a parody of Black Lagoon will allow, if you think about it.

Have people seen all these parodies already? Otherwise I may translate the others as well.
Old 2006-11-09, 19:09   Link #358
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
Yeah, I wrote it in small font, but Balalaika's husband is Chang-San, from the Hong Kong Triad.

It makes perfect sense... well, not perfect, but as much sense as a parody of Black Lagoon will allow, if you think about it.

Have people seen all these parodies already? Otherwise I may translate the others as well.
Oh, please do!!!
Thankyouthankyouthankyou in advance!!!!
Old 2006-11-09, 21:35   Link #359
Cal-Reflector

The Omake Gage-Comedy Parody from the end of volume: Not as hilarious as the previous one, but still plenty amusing:

Spoiler for Seifuku Roberta....:

Not one for self-praise, but I'm amazed I managed to track down those lyrics, no if only someone could find the actual song...

Also, Seifuku Roberta is A)Entirely too appropriate and B)Much too similar to Yuki, whom we are about to see in the upcoming Yakuza Gangsta Paradise arc.

Spoiler for Full Japanese lyrics to the Hedorah song:
Old 2006-11-09, 22:29   Link #360
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImClueless View Post
Damn, I have heard before that there were a lot of racist bigots in Australia. Now more confirmation on that front I guess. Note to self: Do Not Emigrate to Australia.
A thousand pardons, I was only referring to Sydney, our rival city.

Melbourne, on the other hand, is much more civilized, and its racism is thankfully confined to rude looks and disrespectful comments rather than the almost monthly tides of racial violence that plauges Sydney.

Tags
action, crime, madhouse, seinen