AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-11-10, 05:58   Link #1
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Product Placement In Anime

Movies and TV have had it for years. EA is putting it in it's new games. Now it seems anime is getting product placement. The new Sunrise show, Code Geass has had some not so subtle product placement for Pizza Hut in many of it's episodes. Including characters eating and ordering pizza.

Spoiler for Pizza Hut:

So how do you feel about 'real' products in anime 'fictional universes', good or a bad thing? Do you think you'd be more tempted to buy the product if you saw it in an anime than say a Hollywood movie? If so why? Have you spotted any other examples of such product placement?

Personally I don't mind it if it's non-intrusive. Sponsorship deals mean better funding and ensure shows don't run out of budget half-way through. But writing in a scene where the character orders pizza for advertising purposes rather than plot purposes is a bit too much IMHO.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 06:03   Link #2
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

One word: LAWL.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 06:47   Link #3
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I don't think it's a bad thing, so long as they're aren't writing scenarios specifically because of the sponsors. So what if there are billboards with advertisement and people wearing/eating/using products? It'd make no difference if the billboards were empty or spin-offs, nor does it make any difference if someone ate burgers instead of pizza or wear Nike instead of nameless brand. If Lelouch used Google instead of Biglobe, would there be any SIGNIFICANT difference that is story-altering or ruins the whole damn show? No. And I don't think the pizza scene in the latest Code Geass is overdoing it. It was more of a clever mix of advertising + plot device for the hilarity that ensues afterwards. If we get unneccesary 5 minutes talk/show on people enjoying pizza or talking about how great Pizza Hut taste that does nothing to the show, then that's overdoing.

Yes, I'm going to go out with my ex-classmates next month to eat pizza together though it was long planned. I'm not sure if Code Geass had much influence, but I find myself anticipating my reunion much more than before Code Geass's blatant advertising.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 07:44   Link #4
Anime Online

The movies had been doing it for years and I don't see anyone complaining. Take, for instance, recent James Bond movies. It's not coincidental that the camera zoom into his mobile phone, his watch or his car.

Does it matter if the anime shows characters using Sony batteries instead of Suny batteries? Or how about characters eating XYZ-brand melon pan instead of generic melon pan? Most likely not. Since most product placement ads are short and blend into the show, I wouldn't worry about the ads being intrusive.

Product placement ads work on a subliminal level, I think. It's like bombarding a person with a thousand flashing pictures, a few of which include Cocoa Cola ads, and then ask him what he'd like to drink. Not surprisingly, more people would start ordering Cocoa Cola as opposed to another group who were not shown the ads.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 08:16   Link #5
crystar
*yawns*

Before, we had a lot of NcDonald's and whatever cola thing in certain series. (Would that be free advertising for those businesses? Anyone can see NcDonalds is McDonalds) I didn't even realize the Pizza Hut ads in Code Geass though, until I saw people on gg fansubs' website talking about it. Although this shows I'm not very observant to details, it also proves it isn't really hugely obtrustive. If it was I would of otherwise noticed it.

This can of advertising doesn't work for me (I would never feel like going to Pizza Hut just because I saw fictional characters eating it), so as long as it doesn't negatively alter the plot everythings cool for me.
crystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 10:56   Link #6
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

MY thought is, so what? As long as it's suttle, and it pays the bills for the anime companies so they can keep producing good anime, I won't say anything. If the product placements become blaitant and in your face, then I'll complain.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-12, 03:03   Link #7
Calca
Expressionless

There are tons of DSes and Playstations in the recent animes.

Makes it realistic I guess.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-12, 05:36   Link #8
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

I remember in Marmalade Boy that Miki Koishikawa, the protagonist, almost always used to wear FILA tennis shirts and Nike tennis shoes.
Old 2006-11-12, 06:04   Link #9
tritoch

All I have to say: Bring it!

Those ads sponsor the shows and that translates to better production values. So I say, bring the ads.

Second, we tend to follow the personal life of the characters of the show but often times we tend to forget the type of world they live in, sometimes I'd like to be in the character's shoes. By putting real ads in, I think it would be easier to fill in the shoes of our fave characters.

Ofcourse, that's just my opinion. Anybody can say whatever they want.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-12, 08:21   Link #10
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

Keroro Gunso and Bandai products, 'nuff said.
dodgethis_sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-12, 09:18   Link #11
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
lolz i knew someone was gona bring up a topic like this after seeing code geass myself
so far this ad of pizza hut strikes me more than any other "subliminal" ad because it actually spells out the company name instead of using something similar (and so obvious that it smacks you across the face)
i dont mind a bit of advertising showing up on screen (it just makes the series more unique) as long as it doesnt hinder any outside factors (budget cost to sponsor?)
and would it affect me into being hypnotized into buying the product? well it depends what it is and how im feeling...right now im hungry so a pizza sounds tempting (and i have a pizza hut down the road from where i live lol...)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote