AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-27, 00:22   Link #201
Ashlotte
Clockwork

What the hell are those things you keep using Xell christ...gonna give me nightmares or at the very least make it hard to watch any anime tommorrow.

Sigh...anyway...Im glad the show is keeping the forward momentum going. I was kinda worried there for abit that the show would bog down into the slow burn go nowhereness of most harem shows when the initial confession failed.

Now...time for the angst and real drama.
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 00:25   Link #202
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
What the hell are those things you keep using Xell christ...gonna give me nightmares or at the very least make it hard to watch any anime tommorrow.

it is the new wave in harem anime cute girls with big knives/machettes/boxcutters

got one more for your dreams

PS. Never in the anime world will anyone ever underestimate the domestic goddess again.
Old 2006-11-27, 00:31   Link #203
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
here is my prediction
In how many threads are you going to keep posting GIFs of the same three bad School Days endings we've seen billions of times by now? It's totally and completely off-topic for this show. And now doctored Shuffle pictures? Come on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningTARGET View Post
So the rainbow was Riko's gift? Wasnt there allready a rainbow that Haruhiko's mother wished to, to give birth to him?
I wasn't too clear on that at first either, but in the flashback scene in episode 4, Riko makes the comment that the rainbow was disappearing (which seems to imply that the rainbow used to come and go). After that, they make the promise to watch it again someday, so I guess Riko's Gift was that the rainbow wouldn't disappear until that promise was fulfilled.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 01:23   Link #204
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I wasn't too clear on that at first either, but in the flashback scene in episode 4, Riko makes the comment that the rainbow was disappearing (which seems to imply that the rainbow used to come and go). After that, they make the promise to watch it again someday, so I guess Riko's Gift was that the rainbow wouldn't disappear until that promise was fulfilled.
Fitting for the title. I suppose it could be that the rainbow might indeed have been disappearing and Riko's Gift simply 'renewed' it for it to remain. It would pose a question, though: Is a Gift to a person eternal, or does it slowly dissipate when the giver passes away or no longer has those feelings in mind when he/she gives away the Gift?
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 01:43   Link #205
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny View Post
I suppose it could be that the rainbow might indeed have been disappearing and Riko's Gift simply 'renewed' it for it to remain. It would pose a question, though: Is a Gift to a person eternal, or does it slowly dissipate when the giver passes away or no longer has those feelings in mind when he/she gives away the Gift?
I think that the power of Gift is eternal, unless it's given back willingly. For example, Haruhiko said that he owes his life to his late mother's Gift. In episode 7, I don't think they implied that destroying the rainbow would "undo" any of the other gifts retroactively (Haruhiko was going to use the fake gift to destroy all his memories of his late mother (including the rainbow), but presumably he would still be alive). But, barring an official explanation of all the "rules" from the game players, I guess we'll just have to wait for the show to explain itself. This is why all the Gift examples have been important so far.
Old 2006-11-27, 03:25   Link #206
DrewGSR

Man some shit is going to go down and its going to be a big probably. Kirino is probably going to go all suicidal and do something crazy next episode.

Yea Gift is exceeding my expectations, though i came in with like slim to none to begin with haha. Besides the whole Riko/Haruiko romance, i do like Rinka. if it wasn't Riko, Rinka would be the best choice. Kirino ftl in my book.
DrewGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 03:41   Link #207
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Xellos, what's with you and your recent School Days obsession ?
Old 2006-11-27, 05:16   Link #208
ccardoso
Banned

The male protagonist beat a guiness: to be dumped in the third episode...
ccardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 08:54   Link #209
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

We need a top 5 confession's of all time list, 'cause i can easily say the confession from episode 08 of Gift would be first place. What an all mighty beautiful scene - everything about it right down to what was said made you move in tears.. i'm pretty sure i don't even have to mention about the music.. but i think i shall, Nanase Hikaru has set again brought her musical score to life. Each BGM played goes perfectly with that scene, even more so for the confession.. and yet again with Kirino's text message. I can easily see what series i'll be rewatching on Christmas day. :3
Old 2006-11-27, 11:42   Link #210
DanielSong39

I actually thought the confession scene(s) in Episode 3 was better; there you have the (implied) double confession, the flashbacks, Kirino's intrusion, and the eventual meltdown... far more dramatic if you ask me.

The scene I'm actually looking forward to is the Kirino rejection scene. Can't wait to see her response... though it remains to be seen whether she responds with the boxcutter or sakura petals.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 14:14   Link #211
martino
makes no files now

It seems like a few of us would welcome if something really crazy was to happen...just for a laugh, it would be nice
Old 2006-11-27, 18:53   Link #212
Ashlotte
Clockwork

^ Crazy yes...blood bath levels of violence...not so much...

And it depends on what kinds of confessions where talking about...I personally always find the ones that fail more memorable and interesting as sad as that sounds. But as far as sucessful ones go that was one of the better ones.
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 19:38   Link #213
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
And it depends on what kinds of confessions where talking about...I personally always find the ones that fail more memorable and interesting as sad as that sounds. But as far as sucessful ones go that was one of the better ones.
Personally, I think it's the fact that the show has both for the same characters that makes it work best (and makes it more interesting). It puts emphasis on the inevitability of it all (to go any other path would be a lie), which'll make the resolution even more straining. So while either confession was memorable on its own, I think they work better in composite; that's why I like the way they're threading the plot.
Old 2006-11-30, 19:57   Link #214
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Forgive me for the double-post... Episode 9 answers a bunch of questions, and sets things up for the big finish... Great episode, IMO.

Spoiler for Episode 9:

Edit: Added a few extra details to the summary. Oh yeah, and have I mentioned recently that I love Hikaru Nanase's soundtrack for this show? It continues in the excellent tradition of D.C.S.S. and Kagihime, and her piano melodies (fitting) and use of other intrumentation is really great (especially near the end of this episode around 18 minutes in - take a listen...). Can't wait for the OST!

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2006-12-01 at 00:27.
Old 2006-12-01, 02:00   Link #215
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

So glad that Jason over at Anime on My Mind turned me on to this show last week. I've caught up and am revelling in the romance here in eps 8 and 9. And in the good voice-acting from Shimizu Ai, in particular, who seems to be growing by leaps and bounds over the past year or so. And Miyazaki Ui, Tai Yuuki, Koshimizu Ami and Shintani Ryouko aren't too shabby, either.

I think it was Tai-san's Haruhiko that turned me off this show when I watched ep1 and quit. I hate that male>female bullying style that is supposed to be affectionate. But it did set up his development. And I don't need the angst that I see coming, but okay. Nice little show -- especially for something that is broadcast at 3am. Not exactly prime time, lol. And nice post just now by relentlessflame.

It doesn't seem to have been mentioned (I searched his name in the thread) that Suzuki Masashi, who did the overall series composition, did the same for Shuffle!, and did scriptwriting for Da Capo and Jigoku Shoujo. The director, Kimiya Shigeru, directed the Hand Maid May OAV, but otherwise seems to have only done episodes, up until now. The sound director (i.e., director of seiyuu), Takakuwa Hajime, is also comparatively new, but he did do Major, and Rakugo Tennyou Oyui, where I also thought some of the voice-acting was particularly good. Pardon me if these people have been mentioned before in the thread.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-12-01 at 02:50.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 03:09   Link #216
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
So glad that Jason over at Anime on My Mind turned me on to this show last week.
That's some pretty "qualified" praise (as in, caveat-filled) to turn you on to the show, but whatever works. All in all, while I think he's over-simplified the plot (and missed some points in the process - then again, "two sentence formula"...), I will agree with Jason that this show's greatest strength is "doing more with less"; I've been quite impressed by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I hate that male>female bullying style that is supposed to be affectionate.
My first thought here was... no younger siblings? The saying in French is "on agace ceux qu'on aime" (we tease those we love), so I guess it's just one of those things... (I'm assuming you're referring to Haruhiko's teasing of Kirino.)
Old 2006-12-01, 09:38   Link #217
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Yeah, the teasing thing is older sibling>younger sibling. It has nothing to do with male or female - Similar situations in other shows or manga with an older female sister usually include her bullying him. In cases where the siblings are the same age, it's used to differentiate which is going to be considered the elder one.

Though, obviously eroge inspired adaptations only rarely (if ever) include an older female sibling, but you can see the trope in other shows all the time.
Old 2006-12-01, 18:00   Link #218
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

well that's quite realistic as there are quite alot of siblings that tease each other, but deep down are friends
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-03, 00:44   Link #219
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Hooo boy.
Gift Ep 09
Spoiler:

This episode made me think back to one episode from Kino no Tabi - "The country where people understand pain". The Gift seems to hold an ugly side to it too.

Quote:
well that's quite realistic as there are quite alot of siblings that tease each other, but deep down are friends
Hahah, true. I sometimes team up with my older sis to tease my younger siblings, but she's done a fair amount of it to me too. But I think of it as this: people aren't very nice in the outside world, so it's kind of a way to condition them so they'll be able to accept those things (if that made any sense). Plus, if you see them pick up habits/attitudes form you, you can spring the whole "You have trained well" thing on them. It really pisses them off XD

Last edited by fict_ticious; 2006-12-03 at 00:56.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-03, 00:55   Link #220
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

hmmm finally the show is getting to some angsty bits, lol Kirino is going to turn psycho Kaede i think except this time she'd have alot more power since she's using the gift! This is going to be awsome can't wait, also wonders how they are going to resolve the problem, noting that Haruhiko hasn't used his gift so probably he will use his gif t reverse the problem.

However I doubt that would happen as he is able to resolve other problems cause by the gift without acutally using his, so maybe to resolve the problem Haruhiko and Kirino heart's might just need to connect, even if it's not lover's sort of connection. Well this is only speculation so hoping for next episode!
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, comedy, drama, moonstone, olm, romance, supernatural