AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2007-03-06, 09:39   Link #261
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

The promo value of that AMV hits home.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-06, 11:30   Link #262
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
The promo value of that AMV hits home.

Spoiler:
No, that was but one of many, many details, none of which were good

Spoiler:

I think... I'm probably gonna have to give this the Kannaduki-treatment: One of the best shows that I wish I never saw, and try to forget it all together.
Old 2007-03-06, 11:47   Link #263
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
*snips*

Spoiler for Emotional Reaction:
I've got to say, you're being pretty obvious even without the spoiler tags.

Still....

Spoiler for emotional reaction:

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 12:05   Link #264
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I've got to say, you're being pretty obvious even without the spoiler tags.

Still....

Spoiler for emotional reaction:

Fixed, original post now gives away nothing.

Yeah, up until this point "Unobtainable true love" which some poster before me mentioned seems to have been Shinkai's reoccurring theme, even way back in the short about a cat.

*Shakes head* I'll hold off, read spoilers from others about what happened first, then decide if I'm going to keep watching.
Old 2007-03-06, 12:11   Link #265
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
*Shakes head* I'll hold off, read spoilers from others about what happened first, then decide if I'm going to keep watching.
All the more reason that you should hold off from reading this thread, wait for the fansub of the whole movie to come out, watch the movie in its entirety, and THEN and only then come back here to post your thoughts.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 15:48   Link #266
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I don't see any spoilers. Seems like people are speculating based on fairly vague imagery.

Just to underscore the issue for those who aren't following: the music video does not, I repeat, does not reveal the ending. If I were forced to guess, I'd say that the imagery hints heavily towards the happy ending, but I do not want to guess. I'd rather watch the film first.

Additionally, Shinkai is always rather ambiguous. Was the ending of Hoshi no Koe happy or sad? What about Kumou no Mukou? If you just watch Hoshi no Koe, you might get the idea that all is bad since Mikako and Noboru are separated. But when you read the the story coda in the DVD booklet, you learn that they actually reunite after years of growing apart.

The same goes for Beyond the clouds, which struck me at first as rather depressive, until I grasped the undertones and the ultimately uplifting message.

So, all I can say is that Shinkai is not the kind of director who gives you simple, straightforward resolutions. In my experience of watching his works, his endings are 70% symbolistic and 30% open, depending of the viewers' point of reference and ideas about how it should turn out.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 16:00   Link #267
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
I don't see any spoilers. Seems like people are speculating based on fairly vague imagery.

Just to underscore the issue for those who aren't following: the music video does not, I repeat, does not reveal the ending. If I were forced to guess, I'd say that the imagery hints heavily towards the happy ending, but I do not want to guess. I'd rather watch the film first.

Additionally, Shinkai is always rather ambiguous. Was the ending of Hoshi no Koe happy or sad? What about Kumou no Mukou? If you just watch Hoshi no Koe, you might get the idea that all is bad since Mikako and Noboru are separated. But when you read the the story coda in the DVD booklet, you learn that they actually reunite after years of growing apart.

The same goes for Beyond the clouds, which struck me at first as rather depressive, until I grasped the undertones and the ultimately uplifting message.

So, all I can say is that Shinkai is not the kind of director who gives you simple, straightforward resolutions. In my experience of watching his works, his endings are 70% symbolistic and 30% open, depending of the viewers' point of reference and ideas about how it should turn out.
Yes, yor are right... it is speculation, with my jumping to conclusions based on fear of the worse from the outset. All through my very first post sharing the music video, my hope was that in time my outburst and despairing prediction would be proven wrong; but I am betting against myself to deflect disappointment later on.
Old 2007-03-06, 16:27   Link #268
JediNight
キズランダム

Cal-Reflector: Shinkai doesn't do happy endings ;D He would rather rip your heart out with angst and hold it in front of you still beating before crushing it before your eyes ^_^;; The thing to remember though, is stuff like this happens ALL the time. It's such a fundamentally universal love issue that happens to many many people, and so it hitting so close to home I think makes it hurt that much more.

With the date for the movie part1: I was sorta close in my assessment, but I honestly thought it was even earlier than 1996. I was thinking more like 1993 or so myself. Reason for that is of course no cell phones and seemingly few pagers, and the telephone booth said "ISDN" on the front. ISDN was first introduced around my area in like 1994/95, so I assumed it would have had better penetration in Japan already by that time.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 17:47   Link #269
Saffire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Cal-Reflector: Shinkai doesn't do happy endings ;D He would rather rip your heart out with angst and hold it in front of you still beating before crushing it before your eyes ^_^;; The thing to remember though, is stuff like this happens ALL the time. It's such a fundamentally universal love issue that happens to many many people, and so it hitting so close to home I think makes it hurt that much more.
Oddly enough, Shinkai's endings haven't ever been 'depressing' or overly 'sad' in my opinion. Sure, they're not the Disney-brand of happy endings. If anything, perhaps bittersweet is how I'd label it, but I'm unsure. I'd say one of his themes would also be hope, almost, as his endings seem to be open to something happy. In Voices
Spoiler:

In Beyond the Clouds, I'd say it ended on a happy note, even if i wasn't quite sure about how much
Spoiler:
. So I think it'll end like the past ones have. Loyalty's always been a theme of his as well, as both the male and female protagonists always seem to end up with each other in the end -- or at least, still care very much about each other some way even if they are separated. So.. I'm hoping for some kind of ending like that.
Saffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 17:50   Link #270
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Some things I noticed:

Spoiler:

Wow.
Old 2007-03-06, 20:49   Link #271
CarpeDiem
Oha-Lucky~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
Some things I noticed:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

That was quite the video. As if I couldn't wait for the rest of it any longer, they just had to pull at my heart strings by releasing this.

My take on it:
Spoiler:
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 21:03   Link #272
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
Spoiler:
For that, I must give you as many cookies as AnimeSuki permits; its as beautiful a vision as what the Isralites must have seen when Moses talked of deliverance and the Promised Land.
Old 2007-03-06, 21:31   Link #273
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

WOW http://ruliweb.empas.com/ruliboard/r...b_news&main=hb
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 22:13   Link #274
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Wow!

You know, Makoto-dono's version looks much more realistic...
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 22:21   Link #275
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, that video - as piss-poor as the Youtube quality was - is pretty powerful stuff. This is a case where the song fits the anime perfectly, I think. I'm trying very hard not to assume too much based on this snippets of video...
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 23:17   Link #276
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Okay, perhaps I'm pessimistic. But I've got a right - I've lived Takaki's kind of life
for many years and it took forever before anything seemed to turn out all right.

I hope Takaki (even if he's fictional) gets what he wants sooner than I did.
Old 2007-03-06, 23:18   Link #277
aliensporebomb

Exclamation !!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow. Unbelievable. Words fail.
Old 2007-03-07, 00:28   Link #278
Neohybrid_kai
Ikemasen, ojou-sama!

Send a message via Yahoo to Neohybrid_kai
I have a question,
I watched bikasuishin version of this anime
can someone explain to me about the book that Takaki and Akari read?
the one about halucigenia or something?
is that a novel?

also, what's the meaning of "read 4 billion years' worth"?
I'm not a native english speaker, I have never heard that phrase before
thank you ^^ sorry for suddenly barging in and asking question.
Old 2007-03-07, 02:52   Link #279
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
Seeing that makes me wonder how awesome it would feel if I personally lived or worked or stood in the locales chosen and then saw them being animated, brought to life anew, by Shinkai. I've seen the same (ie real world vs animated) for KyoAni's series like TMoHS and Kanon, but I've never thought like this up to now. Only Shinkai. Seriously, it would just feel awesome.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 16:04   Link #280
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neohybrid_kai View Post
I have a question,
I watched bikasuishin version of this anime
can someone explain to me about the book that Takaki and Akari read?
the one about halucigenia or something?
is that a novel?

also, what's the meaning of "read 4 billion years' worth"?
I'm not a native english speaker, I have never heard that phrase before
thank you ^^ sorry for suddenly barging in and asking question.
They're discussing the Cambrian Period, i.e. prehistoric times. I assume Akari has been reading a book about the earth's ancient history. "4 billion years" is probably a reference to the age of the Earth, my assumption was that she is saying she has read 4 billion years of history in one evening.

The Cambrian Period was actually 500 million years ago though. I’ve been told that Anomalcalis, Halucigenia and Opabinia are animals of that era, though I've not heard such names before, the only life form I know of from that era are the trilobites. Akari makes a model of the Halucigenia with her chips, I thought it looked like a scorpion. I wonder if the names are translated correctly bearing in mind that this is Japanese translated into English by a French guy.

edit: I just found this page about the Hallucigenia et al, with a picture of it which is indeed similar to Akari's potato construction. And the Opabinia does indeed have five eyes! Jeez, these kids are well educated! Or is it our English speaking schooling systems that have been hopelessly dumbed down that we don't know about these things?

Last edited by Samatarou; 2007-03-07 at 16:17.
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai