AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-03-23, 14:18   Link #41
Muddle!

Send a message via AIM to Muddle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuka View Post
Denno Coil opening (screener)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDfBBWP49p0
Thanks for that clip! It makes May seem so far away.
Muddle! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 14:36   Link #42
wao
OK.

OK, sorry to spam this thread so much - I'll go away for a week (I'll try ) after this, but anyway I just did a rough translation of that cast interview from Animage.

Once again these are the scans:

Spoiler for translation:
Old 2007-03-23, 15:35   Link #43
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

OP feels solid and the characters very much alive that I find myself having an instant emotional connection with them. The visuals are subtle, the sci-fi elements seem so precisely placed and not whizz-bang and such. I love the way Yasako runs, and it was surprising that she seems quite melancholy in her shots, especially that one at the end when she seems moved by the shadows. (I do worry that one of these characters will be revealed as a computer program along the way and that the shadows are a clue - but I hope that's not the case.) And little Densuke looking directly at us, breaking the fourth wall. I quite liked Ayako Ikeda's music; it seems to fit the nostalgic feeling of the visuals.

Overall it's great to see it animated at last. It doesn't disappoint nor does it spoil; it retains all its secrets and promise. I'm glad with the direction it's taking; for kids and not paying lip service to otakus with winks and nods. It makes it feel, I dunno, special and sophisticated unlike 90% of kid's shows.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 00:47   Link #44
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Just got back from TAF. I recorded the opening too, but since its already up I won't upload it. My camera kinda sucks so the colors are all off too.

It should be noted that there were two videos at TAF. The opening and a much longer trailer with the ending song at the end. The way the screens were set up though, I couldnt get good lightning to capture the trailer with acceptable quality so I just gave up. Instead I'll try to summarize what I saw:

- There are virtual pets and network virii in the show, they're not the same things

- The virii are evil virtual monsters that look like black shades or other evil forms

- The children are aware of them and use virtual "programs" to fight the virii who seem to be invading into parts of reality

- There's a scene of a giant virus attacking, and they use programs to create walls in midair to block the attacks as well as creating doors in walls that disappear and so on

- It definitely feels much more action orientated than we thought, and is probably not a slice if life drama at all

- The animation is really good, but not entirely detailed, which is very similar in style to the episode of RahXephon done by the same director

- It reminded me of Kamichu quite a bit and the friend I was with agreed too, except maybe with more action...

Here are some pics of the Denno Coil booth:

duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 09:23   Link #45
wao
OK.

OK lol I said I'd disappear but there's another video up on youtube - much lower quality and the colours are off (this isn't duckroll's alter ego, is it? :P) but check out the stuff after the OP!

I love the cat! Nah but seriously, watch it - it very clearly demonstrates the various things explained in the interview and all. Like the integration of stuff and all. And look at the animation! Oh my...

OK, but what's up with the huge blob thing?
Old 2007-03-24, 09:30   Link #46
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Well even if that videoclip is a bit low on quality (but we can't blame the person who recorded that, it's better than nothing at all), it's possible to tell that there's indeed a lot effort and attention for details behind this. Damn there's really a lot of interesting series coming this spring.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 09:35   Link #47
7Th
Mixtape

Widescreen version! The other was too, but the ratio was oblivierated by the camera-man.

Nevertheless, I'm back to this topic after a long time of attempting to post on it yet failing due to ridiculous extremely-coincidental reasons. Seems to be turning out similar to what I had expected: simple yet amazing designs in extremely charming motion and excellent scene composition, something that had disappointed me before watching this new version of the opening. We're in for a fun yet sophisticated child's adventure with a great nostalgia feeling and WHO AM I KIDDING! THE ANIMATION... OH THE ANIMATION! BEAUTIFUL ISO EFFECT MANAGEMENT! THAT HEAVY YET STILYZED AND ACTIVE MOVEMENT! DAMN MAY 12!
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 09:43   Link #48
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

It really makes me want to make a wallpaper based on this show, even if it hasn't started airing. Too bad I've already got my hands busy on other projects.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 10:12   Link #49
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Gosh. That second clip is really, truly, fantastically awesome. Humie and Yasako escaping that big red thing is incredible. I guess all these Ghibli comparisons are, for once, entirely valid.
Old 2007-03-25, 03:04   Link #50
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

So Awesome.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 05:32   Link #51
Ialdaboth

Quote:
So Awesome.
Nothing better to say. Both clips made me roughly think of a mix between Miyazaki (for the feeling of something magic going on on the screen), Fantastic Children, Kamichu (for the retro aspect, the group of children as protagonists, the mix between humor and more serious adventure) and Satoshi Kon (the colors, the urban setting). I am probably off but I'm too much hyped to be coherent right now. It's going to be great

Last edited by Ialdaboth; 2007-03-25 at 05:47.
Ialdaboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 07:51   Link #52
solomon

Sigh, when will people start making stuff like this stateside (cursed coprate children's CG racket)

It's super awesome that Iso got the show on such a kickass timeslot, that was most likely due to leverage on Tokuma's part. Can't wait.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 08:21   Link #53
wao
OK.

Apparently this was on one of the display boards at TAF. Transcripted thanks to a 2channeler. It gives extra info about that goofy blob that was in the trailer.

Spoiler for save space:

So now we know what that goofy looking big thing chasing Fumie and Yasako in the trailer is. There its name is displayed as "Sacchi" - almost certainly the kids' nickname for "Searchmaton".
At first to be honest I was going "wtf?" when it appeared and Fumie was doing the whole "whoa superpower!" thing with her forehead (although I must admit it was damn cool), but now suddenly I can accept it a lot more.

Spoiler for blah blah my opinion:

Also, I downloaded some close-up photos of the character design sheets taken by another 2channeler. They're very nice - and I hate to say it, but I actually find them moe in a very unusual way
I think it's the way Honda draws their faces... but no, it is a genuine kind of loveable and adorable, like the anime version of Kamichu's designs except maybe a little more subtle. Anyone wants me to discreetly upload them somewhere (later)? They even took a picture of a sample of the script! I think you acn still find it if you go to the relevant thread though.
Old 2007-03-25, 08:35   Link #54
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Oh, Mitsuo Iso, forgive this little peon for even remotely doubting the execution of your pet project's atmosphere. I really liked what I saw with the overall execution of the visual direction. It has the sense of fleeting~ness to it, be it the flow of images of both the characters and the background, not to mention the characters. They feel really integrated into the feel to say the least. Not to mention personally, I am extremely fond of the different personal approach to stairs-climbing scene in the OP. It felt really naturalistic to me, like something you see in a Shinkai work only without Shinkai's detailed stills.

Though I am still semi-skeptical at the overall concept...but that's just me. It's something that executed well, can be a really immersing and interesting idea, but at the same time, it can be easily mishandled into regular cheese. I have faith in Iso for not falling down from grace to the latter, but it's my nature to always assume the worst, even from the best. :P

And personally, I loved the amatuerish title logo. I also loved the little English subtext Coil for the Children something fitted there. For any other anime, it might've been a little weird in context, but I found it a perfect fit for an anime that has the kindling sense of toned atmosphere that mixes a natural clash of both the late 80s/early 90s style with modern execution. Maybe I'm being biased, but I found it really nice, like something you see for those old children's shows that had deep morals and themes somehow akin to the World Masterpiece Theather shows.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 09:54   Link #55
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I never really noticed the logo before. I suppose it does seem very simplistic and retro, but in a good way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
At first to be honest I was going "wtf?" when it appeared and Fumie was doing the whole "whoa superpower!" thing with her forehead (although I must admit it was damn cool), but now suddenly I can accept it a lot more.
I thought Fumie (Humie?) was awesome in the trailer, with that brick wall shield and her jerky movements and yeah that whole beam thing, that was really cool and unexpected. As was the way she graffitis the wall with some sort of digital spray can (one of these illegal devices?) as they escape Sacchi.

I like your thoughts on Sacchi's appearance btw, it's like clowns - mean to be funny but often end up scary and just not right at all. Or something like that. I also really like those sequences with Isako, when she summons all those little digi-pets or that really cool shot of her watching the Sacchi's probe as it flies by.

And yes please post those Honda character designs if you've got the time.
Old 2007-03-25, 10:09   Link #56
te2rx

Send a message via ICQ to te2rx Send a message via AIM to te2rx
I don't have too much to add beyond OMG and ZOMG. Mitsuo Iso. The bomb. Quality animators. So hyped.
Quote:
Also, I downloaded some close-up photos of the character design sheets taken by another 2channeler. [...] Anyone wants me to discreetly upload them somewhere (later)?[/SIZE]
I think that photo set is linked in the description of the longer Youtube vid. :)

EDIT: I made a wikipedia listing. It sucks, so please improve it.

Last edited by te2rx; 2007-03-29 at 19:39.
te2rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 13:48   Link #57
wao
OK.

Yes, now I notice it it is. I think it wasn't previously, but for those who are lazy to download a zip, Tsuka has very kindly uploaded the set of pictures.

Fumie is so cute. And so is Yasako. And Isako. And everything. (zomg Oyaji plushies, I'd consider buying one because Oyaji is so adorably bizarre)

EDIT: Oooh! Another intriguing promo poster that everyone seems to have missed out (unless I am mistaken):

ttp://bp.cocolog-nifty.com/bp/2007/03/song_coil_a_cir_aa1c.html
I can't get enough of how you see a different reality with those spectacles... But I love the feeling you get from the poster! It may not show a lot of information but theer's something that really draws you to it with the expression on the girl's faces and Densuke looking at you sort of quizzingly, and then that CREEPY RED THING IN THE MIDDLE

Last edited by wao; 2007-03-30 at 09:06.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 23:58   Link #58
7Th
Mixtape

Yes this is old, but for some reason I thought this was already posted here. Animage May scans courtesy of Manuloz:

http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?i...no0502bad7.jpg
http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?i...no0501bij9.jpg

They probably say something interesting which I cannot read, but at least the artwork is full of charisma.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 04:52   Link #59
wao
OK.

I saw those too on 2ch when they were posted (bloody huge those images were - 8 meg for one image?!), but the quality was kinda funny so I'm hoping to make a re-scan when I get around to buying Animage (there's a DtB spread in there that I'm interested in re-scanning too).

But from what I gleaned there's an interview with Toshiyuki Inoue in it! Of course, I will take the liberty to (crappily) translate it when I have the time, unless someone else does it in advance. Actually I'd rather someone else do it since I'm a bit stuck for time and usually these interviews are a tad more time-consuming to translate (although it's for a Good Cause).

BTW I have to say that Yasako in the school uniform (there's a small pic of her) is SO, SO, SO CUTE. ARGH. I was kind of staring at the picture with a :3! face for a while...

Apparently she wears it on the first day of school but upon seeing everyone else in personal clothes she wears her own clothes from then on. (Reminds me of Oniisama e) Aw, but that school outfit is so cute~
Old 2007-04-10, 14:32   Link #60
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Thanks for the images 7th. Yasako does look really sweet in that uniform.

I read (okay I Googled) on teh website that Toshiyuki Inoue is illustrating the novel based on the anime. Hopefully some scans of that will end up *somewhere* at some point

Tags
science fiction