AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-04-28, 11:41   Link #1681
dKiWi
Devoted Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to dKiWi
oh my. Push and pull isn't very accurate a.f.k. My oh my I think I fully understand now haha... thanks man!

Eating ice-cream cones will never be the same again.

can't wait for episode 4
dKiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 15:08   Link #1682
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: bleeghhh
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueda View Post
The "gui-gui" thing is something called "gitaigo" in Japanese. The Japanese language has TONS of words for things that are basically sound effect words. English has them too, but I've a suspicion that we have less. Words like "bam" "pop" or the like are what we're talking about here. There's a great guide at this site.
I have a 220 page book on Japanese onomatopoeia, not counting the index and bibliography. It's pretty interesting and there's just so much to learn about it - it's true, Japanese has soooo many onomatopoetic words. Onomatopoeia is used more often in daily speech in Japanese than in English, as well (not surprising considering Japanese has so many more than English), so it's very worthwhile to learn as many *ono* words as you can if you want to learn Japanese, IMO, whereas I would say it's not so important to learn many English *ono* words if you were learning English (but if course it's always nice to know stuff like that when learning another language).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKiWi View Post
oh my. Push and pull isn't very accurate a.f.k. My oh my I think I fully understand now haha... thanks man!

Eating ice-cream cones will never be the same again.
I didn't understand how this was ecchi until I read "push and pull". It makes me *sad* because I don't think it's really a perverted thing to do at all - I've always shoved the ice cream down into the cone with my tongue because I also hate eating plain cone. But now, seeing as how such an innocent act is being presented naughtily, I hesitate to eat anymore ice cream cones.

..Aw, to heck with that. ::runs off to buy ice cream and cones::
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 15:50   Link #1683
Seko
Huuu?
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I found a Lucky*Star fandub on youtube, ALREADY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGDPZDk6HCI


I'm not sure what to think. I really like Akira's voice but it seems kinda unrealistic for an ENGLISH dub at times.
Shiraishi... I half like and half don't like. I dunno.

What do you guys think?
Seko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 16:48   Link #1684
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 28
Hmm... Akira isn't quite genki enough when she should be. I like the voice, but the girl seemed like she lost interest really quick. Also, this may be the first time I've accused an American voice for not being as gutteral and sarcastic as the Japanese.
Minoru is supposed to soud nervous, not bored.

I liked the voices, but the acting and execution was about as good as your standard commercial dub (read: not that great).
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 16:58   Link #1685
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I have a 220 page book on Japanese onomatopoeia, not counting the index and bibliography. It's pretty interesting and there's just so much to learn about it - it's true, Japanese has soooo many onomatopoetic words. Onomatopoeia is used more often in daily speech in Japanese than in English
Very true, but there's another gist to it: Japanese onomatopoeias don't sound rude. Most can be used in a formal context and you wouldn't get any eyebrow raise. On contrast, in most western languages, using an onomatopoeia like "zap", "boom", etc can be found to be terribly out of place in a formal context.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 17:36   Link #1686
Seko
Huuu?
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Hmm... Akira isn't quite genki enough when she should be. I like the voice, but the girl seemed like she lost interest really quick. Also, this may be the first time I've accused an American voice for not being as gutteral and sarcastic as the Japanese.
Minoru is supposed to soud nervous, not bored.

I liked the voices, but the acting and execution was about as good as your standard commercial dub (read: not that great).
Nervous! That's the word I was looking for. God I had a total brain fart so I just used the word "bored". I'm such an idiot. Forgive me.

But I think you really hit the nail on the head with your thoughts.
Seko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 18:44   Link #1687
Telliamed
sensei no pet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
I didn't understand how this was ecchi until I read "push and pull". It makes me *sad* because I don't think it's really a perverted thing to do at all - I've always shoved the ice cream down into the cone with my tongue because I also hate eating plain cone. But now, seeing as how such an innocent act is being presented naughtily, I hesitate to eat anymore ice cream cones.

..Aw, to heck with that. ::runs off to buy ice cream and cones::
I'm with you, Risaa. It's not that I didn't consider how the food conversation could be perverted. Just when the idea occurred to me, I instantly rejected it as obscene and unnecessary. I'm enjoying L*S just fine without having to turn everything into a sex joke. And I doubt that that is what the writers really intend it to be.

Not that they aren't making some off-color jokes. Konata playing eroga and teasing Miyuki about her moeness. It's not exploitative, though.

And I know better than to describe the way I used to eat ice cream cones. Certain people here would get totally the wrong idea. It was a trick to get around not being able to eat all the ice cream before it melted. Nowadays, of course, I just eat normally since melting isn't a problem. But back then it was a cute and clever thing I and my brother and sister all did. And they've taught the trick to their children. That someone would be able to make a crude innuendo out of it doesn't escape me, and he may think himself clever for doing so. I just think it's tasteless and unimpressive.
Telliamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 19:05   Link #1688
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
The way we used to eat ice cream cornets as kids was to bite off the small end and suck the icecream down into the cone and out the bottom, so it emerges like toohpaste from the hole. (You may have to "guigui" the icecream down a bit first from the top to seal any air gaps to achieve suction.)
__________________

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 19:40   Link #1689
Jiji
Senior Member
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Albuquerque
Age: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
I'm with you, Risaa. It's not that I didn't consider how the food conversation could be perverted. Just when the idea occurred to me, I instantly rejected it as obscene and unnecessary. I'm enjoying L*S just fine without having to turn everything into a sex joke. And I doubt that that is what the writers really intend it to be.

Not that they aren't making some off-color jokes. Konata playing eroga and teasing Miyuki about her moeness. It's not exploitative, though.

And I know better than to describe the way I used to eat ice cream cones. Certain people here would get totally the wrong idea. It was a trick to get around not being able to eat all the ice cream before it melted. Nowadays, of course, I just eat normally since melting isn't a problem. But back then it was a cute and clever thing I and my brother and sister all did. And they've taught the trick to their children. That someone would be able to make a crude innuendo out of it doesn't escape me, and he may think himself clever for doing so. I just think it's tasteless and unimpressive.
Then for Gods' sake, don't ever read or watch Shakespeare. Or Chaucer (especially the Miller's Tale). Or Milton. Or...well, don't read anything.
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 12:00   Link #1690
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/info.html

Director Yamada Yutaka would be replaced by Takeda Yasuhiro from episode 5 onwards.

Quote:
TVアニメーション作品「らき☆すた」監督交代のお知らせ
「らき☆すた」監督の山本寛は、監督において、まだ、その域に達していないと弊社は判断し、交代いたしまし た。

 放送第5話から新監督武本康弘のもとスタッフ一丸となって作品制作をしていきます。
引き続きよろしくお願いいたします。

「監督において、まだ、その域に達していないと弊社は判断し」 Just this line alone says as Yamamoto is still rather not up to it as a director, so Kyo-Ani would be replacing him with the more experienced Takeda, the director of FMP: Fumoffu and FMP: The Second Raid.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%AD%...BA%B7%E5%BC%98

Edit: I typed the wrong Yamamoto, my bad.

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2007-04-30 at 07:51.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 12:06   Link #1691
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/info.html

Director Yamada Hiroshi would be replaced by Takeda Yasuhiro from episode 5 onwards.
From what I'm gathering on the babelfish translation it had to do with job performance. Kyoto Animation the Immortal has fallen on it's sword. Obviously the guy has screwed up somewhere in order for him to be replaced. You know what though, it could happen to anyone and this proves that the company is not perfect like some seem to think, there is always room for improvement.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 12:12   Link #1692
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
「監督において、まだ、その域に達していないと弊社は判断し」 Just this line alone says as Yamamoto is still rather not up to it as a director, so Kyo-Ani would be replacing him with the more experienced Takeda, the director of FMP: Fumoffu and FMP: The Second Raid.
We can only speculate on the specifics, but could it be the "jumping around"? Moving from one scene to another so suddenly? (Again, just speculation).

I suppose Takeda's direction will show what they didn't like about Yamamoto.

Well, at least having FMP in his belt is quite reassuring.
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 12:12   Link #1693
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 33
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/info.html

Director Yamada Hiroshi would be replaced by Takeda Yasuhiro from episode 5 onwards.

「監督において、まだ、その域に達していないと弊社は判断し」 Just this line alone says as Yamamoto is still rather not up to it as a director, so Kyo-Ani would be replacing him with the more experienced Takeda, the director of FMP: Fumoffu and FMP: The Second Raid.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%AD%...BA%B7%E5%BC%98
Oooo, isn't that a little harsh? I mean, Yamamoto-san wasn't doing a bad job. Lucky Star was probably his best chance to learn how to be a Director, as the stakes are comparatively low compared to KyoAni's other works.

Did they give a detailed explanation as to why they are replacing him? Or are they going to save his face and keep mum about it?

Cheers.
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 12:17   Link #1694
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Oooo, isn't that a little harsh? I mean, Yamamoto-san wasn't doing a bad job.
Yeah. It's not like he got a producer fired.

(Lame joke, I know. orz)
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 12:25   Link #1695
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Oooo, isn't that a little harsh? I mean, Yamamoto-san wasn't doing a bad job. Lucky Star was probably his best chance to learn how to be a Director, as the stakes are comparatively low compared to KyoAni's other works.

Did they give a detailed explanation as to why they are replacing him? Or are they going to save his face and keep mum about it?

Cheers.
They said they felt he had "Reached His Limits" and that is about it. It's your usual corporate speak for "Your Fired and We're not telling you why". Why they need to humiliate the guy by posting it on the web, however I don't know. Like I said, the company could use a little tact when making public ads and announcements.

The way you should do it is with a public appearance and a statement to the degree that "The Company and Mr. Yamamoto have mutually agreed that Mr. Yamamoto is in need of relief from his hard work and effort as a valuable member of this company. As such he will be stepping down from the position of director to spend time with his family" *Handshake, Smile for the camera, maybe wave a little, thank each other, and then go inside*
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 12:33   Link #1696
Tommy
Mr. Prince
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Age: 33
Well maybe it doesn't need it's own thread but I would like to know who the best sub group is doing this series.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 15:21   Link #1697
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Director Yamada Hiroshi would be replaced by Takeda Yasuhiro from episode 5 onwards.
It's because of that scene where Konachan said 2ch are a bunch of stinky sausages. (I think afk translated it as "web forums are akin to big macs".)
__________________

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 15:32   Link #1698
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
It's because of that scene where Konachan said 2ch are a bunch of stinky sausages. (I think afk translated it as "web forums are akin to big macs".)
are you being serious or having a joke? cause that a really lame reason to replace Yamada if it is true
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 18:37   Link #1699
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
Wait wait wait wait...

Just to get this straight, it's Yamamoto Yutaka we're talking about right? Because...

Yamada Hiroshi (from Kinny) - credited over @ ANN for mostly OP/ED and music related stuff that's not even related to any KyoAni stuff. I had to look him up because he didn't sound familiar at all, and considering his relation to KyoAni is nil, I don't think it's him.

Yamamoto Hiroshi (credited as director by ANN for Lucky Star) - This is the series director of the almighty Suzumiya Haruhi. I almost choked when I thought it was him being canned/demoted, (mainly because Haruhi as a series was just teh win) because well, what a loss for KyoAni if they ever did that.

Yamamoto Yutaka (from AFK translation) - Only credited for Munto, which proves he's still a green horn. Sounds the most logical, considering my trust in AFK and the fact that he's still a 'newb'. XD


EDIT: Hmm, new director from the same guy who did Fumoffu. Now this has got to be interesting, because Fumoffu was riot when it came to laughter.
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 19:06   Link #1700
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
are you being serious or having a joke? cause that a really lame reason to replace Yamada if it is true
Sorry, it was just a little joke after hearing about the GAINAX / 2ch debacle.
__________________

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, kyoto animation, moe, otaku, school life, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.