AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-06-04, 12:56   Link #101
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
This question is going off the topic of this thread. It's even better to post such question in "Tech Support" forum, probably.

If you're using avisource to open the file, what you need is a VFW codec that can open DivX6. That's either having DivX6 software, or have full version of ffdshow, and enable DivX support for VFW. VFW interface is separate from regular ffdshow video decoder interface.

Also, no matter what the video is encoded in, you can always use DirectShowSource() to open a video file, as long as it plays fine in directshow media players, such as ZoomPlayer and MPC. That includes DivX encoded videos.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-04, 13:35   Link #102
ladholyman
Translator for Doremi

Send a message via AIM to ladholyman
Hey, I said this before, you don't need to know Japanese to translate. A third language is sufficient, although quality will vary. A retarded three year old mole probably has more Japanese knowledge than me.
Old 2006-06-04, 19:45   Link #103
CelesAurivern
Mein Kampf :D
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladholyman
A retarded three year old mole probably has more Japanese knowledge than me.
Unfortunately for you, the common mole rat is typically incapable of any form of language comprehension.
Thus, one can only deduce that...
CelesAurivern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-07, 23:50   Link #104
bobber205

Wanting To Join Group

I have a strong desire to join a fansub group.

I know. Silly wish huh? Kidding aside, I think I could truly put my skills to good use. I do not have experience in any of the processes.

Ideally I would want to be a timer. It seems doable (and is supposed to be the easiest).
Are they even needed? What groups are recruiting? What tools do I have to use? Do I have to use anything in particular?

If no one will take me, I was planning on getting some raws and some scripts (as in already fansubbed eps) and doing an eps or two by myself and having them watch it.

Thanks for any comments or suggetions!
bobber205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-07, 23:56   Link #105
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

Timers are in fairly high demand, as far as I have seen by casual observation.

Read through http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=6497 (the last pages are the newest, so maybe start there.) for groups seeking help, or visit their IRC channels; the topics will often say if they're looking for more staff.

There are a lot of tools to use, but you may want to read a guide like http://www.fansubbers.org/index.php/KB/TheArtOfTiming to see if it's really for you. So basically, just... read around. This sub-section of the forums is all about fansubbing, so generally has the most information and can be quite useful to read through.
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-08, 08:36   Link #106
Crovax
A2000A
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Crovax Send a message via AIM to Crovax Send a message via MSN to Crovax Send a message via Yahoo to Crovax
Well bobber, timing is indeed the easiest thing to do. It requires far less judgement calls than most other positions, and the tools for it are quite far developed and straightforward. This doesn't take away that timing is crucial.

More importantly, people with other skills will tend to quickly grow bored of timing all the time, as it *is* rather repetitive. And it does take a good hour or more per ep, especially if you take scene-timing seriously. (Though postprocessors help.) Therefore, you should be able to find groups willing to take you on.

It's probably a good idea to read this guide: http://www.fansubbers.org/index.php/KB/TheArtOfTiming and get a raw with srt subfile of a JDorama or w/e and practice timing that (in .ass format, Id suggest Aegisub) so that a bit so you at least have some routine built up.

Check the 'help wanted' adverts, or browse through the IRC channels of groups you're interested in and ask around, you should find yourself the proud newest addition to some fansubbing group before long.

P.S. I noticed some groups seem to positively 'look down' on people who use Aegisub. Saying stuff that it's for people without skills who only *think* they can sub. Not sure if many groups share that conviction or why, but if you meet such a group, do not despair. Most groups I know are just fine with aegisub.

Edit: lol, just noticed that Asai also gave that link to "The Art of Timing", heh. Oh well, just lends more credit to its comprehensiveness I spose. =p
Crovax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-08, 14:55   Link #107
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
Well bobber, timing is indeed the easiest thing to do. It requires far less judgement calls than most other positions, and the tools for it are quite far developed and straightforward. This doesn't take away that timing is crucial.
OK, I didn't speak out when this was first raised, but I think a lot of people are taking timing a little too lightly. While I agree that it is probably the "easiest" thing to do, that certainly doesn't make it "easy" - and it doesn't suggest that there aren't judgement calls to be made. I'd say that to be a "good" timer, there are usually a whole load of things you have to make decisions over (and if you're a crazy alpha timer like me, that opens up a whole new can of worms, trust me ). Everything from the amount of lead-in and lead-out you want on the lines, to how to stop lines flashing, or whether in some circumstances, you want them to flash (rare, but it can happen) - and then there are the times when two or more people talk at the same time...

A timer should literally be making a decision every time there's a scene bleed.

Basic timing is easy, yes. Making the decisions, not so. Though, you do have to invest time into making those decisions, which is probably why there are fewer timers around than other jobs - because making these decisions and the repetitiveness of timing isn't exactly the most fun you can have subbing.

Quote:
And it does take a good hour or more per ep, especially if you take scene-timing seriously.

Personally, I'd be quite worried if any job in a sub takes UNDER an hour. I'd suggest that anyone who takes less than an hour on any job (other than perhaps translation checks if you have a particularly good translator) has probably done a bad job on what they were doing. I suppose it's possible that some people work really fast, but considering an episode is roughly 25 minutes long, that gives you little time to do actual work on it.

Quote:
P.S. I noticed some groups seem to positively 'look down' on people who use Aegisub. Saying stuff that it's for people without skills who only *think* they can sub. Not sure if many groups share that conviction or why, but if you meet such a group, do not despair. Most groups I know are just fine with aegisub.

Are there groups like that? Wow. That's like saying "I'm going to wash all my clothes by hand because washing machines just make it easy so that anyone can do it." I'd steer away from groups who scorn you for using Aegisub.

Anyway, my general advice would actually be to not necessarily look at the Help Wanted posts, but to look at some of the bigger groups who actively recruit and taking some of their tests. The big groups have some pretty experienced timers who will give you feedback (if they're not too overworked ) and you can also watch how they time things too. That's the way I learned and it's served me well so far

Something else you can do is to specifically watch the timing in a release you like and see what you like about it. Compare them to other releases, either of different series or if you're really anal, the same episode subbed by a different group. HEALTH WARNING~ this will ultimately spoil your appreciation of some subs that don't match up to your growing "standard" of good timing. You'll start noticing scene bleeds all over the place where you didn't before and it may start bugging you if a subgroup does it consistently.

With anything though, how good a timer you become will depend on the amount of time you invest into learning the skills and suchlike.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-08, 15:19   Link #108
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
And it does take a good hour or more per ep, especially if you take scene-timing seriously. (Though postprocessors help.) Therefore, you should be able to find groups willing to take you on.

"An hour or more" doesn't really sound that bad if you've tried other fansubbing positions. Actually, all other jobs except for *maybe* quality control take more time than timing.

And as for Aegisub... I think it's a quality, versatile fansubbing program. However, some people, especially quality subbers have a distaste for it because it's so versatile it doesn't offer anything more that other, job-specific programs can't. For typesetting: You can quickly set different styles to all the lines in the script and position static signs with quick overrides, but when you want to do a good job on a complex sign or episode/series title, you have no choice but to utilize Adobe's After Effects, or just get rid of the GUI completely and do it with a text editor. The GUI simply gets in the way. For timing: It's not the fastest timing program, unfortunately. I check every new Aegisub release and that damn bug with slow keyboard shortcut-triggered responses still hasn't been fixed. Sabbu, which is a dead project, has no such issues and it's by far the most popular timing tool still (it's affected by fears that surround every dead project though). The neat thing about Aegisub for some timers may be the timing postprocessor, but many timers do a faster job without it and just time to audio graph-positioned keyframes instead, a feature found in Sabbu as well. Aegisub is actually far more useful for other tasks, such as karaoke/kanji timing and translating pre-made scripts to other languages with its translation assistant. When karaokeing, it's useful for positioning separate sylabbles using one of Automation's scripts, but for karaoke effects it's only good if you know how to script Automation. There are, again, far better programs for doing that (Draders' Karaoke Maker 3 and RaistlinMajere's SSATool... and of course AFX...).

追伸:
A tip for timers: Don't alpha time. It's distasteful and wrong, much like warpsharp abuse is when encoding.

Last edited by cyth; 2007-05-08 at 15:28. Reason: P.S.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-08, 15:32   Link #109
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
追伸:
A tip for timers: Don't alpha time. It's distasteful and wrong, much like warpsharp abuse is when encoding.

Strong words, but I think that's up to the individual timer to decide whether to use it or not, not for someone to warn them off with an over-generalisation
Old 2007-05-08, 15:42   Link #110
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
Strong words, but I think that's up to the individual timer to decide whether to use it or not, not for someone to warn them off with an over-generalisation
Sorry, my words come from experience. It's ultimately the public who decides what's good (or better yet, *annoying*) and what's not. The only two things that have ever even remotely received negative critiques from the ignorant leecher crowds as far as timing goes were alpha timing and also onscreen-offscreen typesetting. The most obvious things are usually the most annoying.
Old 2007-05-08, 16:06   Link #111
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Sorry, my words come from experience. It's ultimately the public who decides what's good (or better yet, *annoying*) and what's not. The only two things that have ever even remotely received negative critiques from the ignorant leecher crowds as far as timing goes were alpha timing and also onscreen-offscreen typesetting. The most obvious things are usually the most annoying.

Yes, but as with most generalisations, it doesn't take into account how well this is done. For example, I've seen onscreen-offscreen typesetting done badly and done really well. The same applies for alpha-timing and in fact any other type of timing/typesetting or indeed anything that involves a decision.

To suggest that something is bad purely because there's been criticism about it seems a little shortsighted in my opinion.
Old 2007-05-08, 16:34   Link #112
cyth
Banned

Quote:
To suggest that something is bad purely because there's been criticism about it seems a little shortsighted in my opinion.
Shortsighted or not, I'd rather do without criticism. You yourself appreciates the effort you put into that practice, and that's all what this is really about. A very strong majority of leechers don't care about timing, but when they complain about it, out of all things, that's a sign to sound the alarm.
Old 2007-05-08, 17:26   Link #113
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Well, as I say, that's up to the individual timer to decide. I don't think anyone can simply debunk alpha timing because "leechers complain" - after all, there are many other complaints that "leechers" make, and they're more to do with the quality than the specific mode.

Yes, I agree that alpha timing is one of the more contentious stylistic issues, even amongst fansubbers themselves, but that doesn't make it wrong. You may view it as distasteful but that's entirely up to you. I, for one, think it carries certain advantages that normal timing doesn't allow.
Old 2007-05-08, 17:38   Link #114
ladholyman
Translator for Doremi

Send a message via AIM to ladholyman
What in the world is "alpha time?"
Old 2007-05-08, 17:43   Link #115
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladholyman View Post
What in the world is "alpha time?"
See below!
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-08, 17:46   Link #116
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
The type of timing Doremi tends not to do. Also called "Scene timing", "Fine Timing", and probably a bazillion other things that timers have come up with.

Actually, it's when you manipulate alpha codes to make one part of a sub appear before another part. It's frequently called "Lunar timing" because there's a mistaken belief that Lunar invented it
Old 2007-05-08, 17:46   Link #117
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
The type of timing Doremi tends not to do. Also called "Scene timing", "Fine Timing", and probably a bazillion other things that timers have come up with.
No.

Dialogue: Marked=0,0:02:36.24,0:02:37.31,Default,guy,0000,00 00,0000,,W-{\alpha&Hff&}We'll pay!
Dialogue: Marked=0,0:02:37.31,0:02:39.56,Default,guy,0000,00 00,0000,,W-We'll pay!

There are far worse things though.

Dialogue: Marked=0,0:02:37.31,0:02:39.56,Default,guy,0000,00 00,0000,,{\fad(100,100)}W-We'll pay!

Old 2007-05-08, 17:48   Link #118
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
No.

Dialogue: Marked=0,0:02:36.24,0:02:37.31,Default,guy,0000,00 00,0000,,W-{\alpha&Hff&}We'll pay!
Dialogue: Marked=0,0:02:37.31,0:02:39.56,Default,guy,0000,00 00,0000,,W-We'll pay!
Oh, doh! I'm an idiot. Sorry. Post removed.

I knew that, really . Just lost my mind a bit.

I'm such a physicist... To me "alpha" always means "slight perturbation"
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-08, 17:53   Link #119
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
There are far worse things though.

Again, fade tags can be used well and not so well. Your definition of "worse" looks a little on the opaque side to me.

EDIT: In fact, I dare say that you may be (*shock, horror*) presenting opinions as facts
Old 2007-05-08, 17:56   Link #120
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Again, fade tags can be used well and not so well.
Not consistently. And that goes for alpha timing as well. Both of these should serve as slight typesetting touches occasionally, not as integral parts of a timing style.

And well, about opinions and facts... Your opinions are just crappy, that's all.