AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-25, 04:05   Link #61
Woland
Latin Rascal

I Have really to thanks rakuda for this, a real hidden gem.
I can't speak for the story (but I have no complaints so far, it may have some flaws but nothing serious at all) but the cast is just brilliant!
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 04:20   Link #62
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Y'know, it's a really small detail, but I am really happy when a show bothers to have an actual reason for small teenage girls to be the leads in an action show.

How many shows have we all seen where the fate of the earth rests on some teenage kid or young girl. Dozens? Hundreds? In how many of those shows is there an actual reason why it takes a young girl to save the world? A handful at most.

In Rocket Girls we have the payload problem to deal with. That is at least an acceptable excuse to need young girls to pilot a rocket, but what kind of "human being" would actually use children so cavalierly? Fortunately we also have a sadistic doctor and callous director. Not since Gendo Ikari have I seen someone so willing to sacrifice the lives of children for his own purposes.

That's a "Bravo" for Rocket Girls.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 14:52   Link #63
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Spoiler for Episode 9:

Also, it looks like Rocket Girls got some assistance from the Japanese space agency, JAXA. I don't know what it says on this page from the official website, but the photos make it look like a JAXA astronaut met with the cast and crew. Pretty neat!
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 12:09   Link #64
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

I keep wondering, with a plug suit that tight, what's going to happen when the girl's need a toilet break >_< Real life astronauts wear adult diapers going up and out for space walks
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 13:12   Link #65
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime View Post
I keep wondering, with a plug suit that tight, what's going to happen when the girl's need a toilet break >_< Real life astronauts wear adult diapers going up and out for space walks
Heh, maybe that suit could be taken off quite fast, like normal clothes, unlike space suits in our world, it can take as much as half hour.

At first the idea of skin tight suits make me roll me eyes (it was just for fanservice), but to my surprise it is possible to use those. I would have imagined the problems with keeping it in correct temperature, plus I wouldn't like the idea that between me and vacuum of space is only a few millimeters of clothing.

Quote:
Skintight suits

Skintight suits, also known as mechanical counterpressure suits or space activity suits, are a proposed design which would use a heavy elastic body stocking to compress the body. The head is in a pressurized helmet, but the rest of the body is pressurized only by the elastic effect of the suit. This eliminates the constant volume problem, and reduces the possibility of a space suit depressurization. However, these suits are very difficult to put on and face problems with providing a constant pressure everywhere. Most proposals use the body's natural sweat to keep cool.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_suit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_activity_suit
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 15:53   Link #66
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
...Also, it looks like Rocket Girls got some assistance from the Japanese space agency, JAXA. I don't know what it says on this page from the official website, but the photos make it look like a JAXA astronaut met with the cast and crew. Pretty neat!
The official site's credits page says that JAXA "assisted" in the production. The page you linked to showed a Japanese woman astronaut (Yamazaki Naoko) meeting with high school students who made a rocket that went up 500 metres. That was at a lecture she gave at Akita University to which high school girls from all over the country were invited. She also apparently appeared as herself in ep7, giving Yukari encouragement. I'm not sure how the show's producers arranged this, but the show was featured at the lecture somehow.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-04-26 at 16:08.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 16:00   Link #67
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The page you linked to showed a Japanese woman astronaut meeting with high school students who made a rocket that went up 500 metres. That was at a lecture she gave at Akita University to which high school girls from all over the country were invited. She also apparently appeared as herself in ep7, giving Yukari encouragement. I'm not sure how the show's producers arranged this, but the show was featured at the lecture somehow.
How fun! Thanks for the info. Now I'll have to watch Episode 7 again to see if I can spot her.

I used to fly model rockets when I was a kid. Ah, memories...
Old 2007-04-28, 13:52   Link #68
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Ep10 built up slowly, but ended with a nice emotional scene.
Spoiler for ep10:
No broadcast next week. Episode 11 airs at "0:00h, Thursday 10 May". I don't know whether that means Thursday midnight or Wednesday midnight.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-04-28, 19:07   Link #69
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
No broadcast next week.
Nooooo!!!!

Ah well... maybe the fansubbers will take the opportunity to catch up a bit.

Quote:
Spoiler for ep10:
Yeah, I was laughing at that bit, thinking that back in the "good ol' days" of pre-shuttle spaceflight, an astronaut like Pete Conrad would have solved that problem with some duct tape stuck on the end of a long pole. But hey, if it gets the girls into space again, I'll buy it.

The beginning looked like:

Spoiler for ep10:
Old 2007-04-29, 12:55   Link #70
Jiji
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Y'know, it's a really small detail, but I am really happy when a show bothers to have an actual reason for small teenage girls to be the leads in an action show.

How many shows have we all seen where the fate of the earth rests on some teenage kid or young girl. Dozens? Hundreds? In how many of those shows is there an actual reason why it takes a young girl to save the world? A handful at most.

In Rocket Girls we have the payload problem to deal with. That is at least an acceptable excuse to need young girls to pilot a rocket,
This is actually something I blogged about a while ago (no link: my blog is awful and only for my own idiocy). If anyone remembers Ender's Game (novel) by Orson Scott Card, he made hay out of a certain set of scientific findings. I don't remember who or even when, but I'm fairly certain it was a military-contracted lab in the early 80's.

What they were testing was reaction times in soldiers, seeing if they could isolate a way to "track" those soldiers into jobs that needed them--seeing as warfare was getting more and more "video-game-like". What they found was that race was not a factor, but age and sex were. The younger the subject, the better their fighting ability and potential (in terms of reaction time, amongst other things). And if that subject was female, even better.

So, I *think* the explosion of magical girl anime came partly out of this little factoid, which made it into Japan's zeitgeist more than it did N. America's (with the exception of things like Ender's Game).
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 19:17   Link #71
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Megami Scan

4000x5851, 1.7 MB
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 21:12   Link #72
kitten84

i`ve watched the first 2 ep it was soooo funny
i think this is one of the best comedy animes i`ve ever saw !!!!!!

the thing is i want to dl ep 3 but my ISP block the tracker site
so can anyone save the torrent file and upload it in zip file so i can dl it with my bittorent client !?? plzzzz

or can anyone know how to contact Rakuda fansubs (no site, no IRC address) to ask help from them about the tracker problem !!!!

thanks guyz
i can`t wait to see ep 3
kitten84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 14:30   Link #73
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Is there no new ep this week? I searched the regular place and there's no raw out yet.
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 16:38   Link #74
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeSil80 View Post
Is there no new ep this week? I searched the regular place and there's no raw out yet.
Ummm... we already covered that...

Quote:
No broadcast next week. Episode 11 airs at "0:00h, Thursday 10 May". I don't know whether that means Thursday midnight or Wednesday midnight.
Old 2007-05-05, 16:49   Link #75
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Opps, didn't see that post. Thanks.
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 11:47   Link #76
cynicalicious
I like pie.

I just D/Led the raws and subs up to episode 10 so far (only watched through episode 7 for now, but I'll catch up on the rest soon) and I must say, this is a cute series. I agree with whoever said that it reminds them of "Planetes." That was a great series, too, and there are bits of this that remind me of that. (Except, of course, the "Just drop by our jungle base and we'll take you in as an astronaut, little girl" thing. XD)

Still, if Rutan & Co. can send people into orbit on a rocket made of old car tires, then hell, why not Japanese teenagers? They drive the rest of the economy, anyway. Might as well drive space exploration, too. XD

Thanks to Kaoru Chujo for blogging about this, otherwise I never would have found it.
cynicalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 18:44   Link #77
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Episode 11 was terrific, if somewhat unlikely. Watching it, I realized that this may be one of the best moe shows I've ever seen, in part because it doesn't depend on moe for everything, in part because the moe is so pure and the bearers of it are a great combination of small/weak and smart/strong.
Spoiler for ep11:
This is a small, sometimes perfunctory show, but it has something special. The girls' combination of moe and toughness is strong, and there are also the rockets, the science, the tropics, the humor, and the interesting human interaction, as well as the good design. And Sendai Eri's approach to the character of Yukari is really proving its worth as we go on.
Old 2007-05-11, 12:41   Link #78
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Spoiler for ep11:
Okay, I've seen it now, and...

Spoiler for Ep 11:

As I said before, it's a bit silly to think that NASA would leave the space shuttle up there just sitting in orbit waiting for our heroines to come fix a problem that could just as easily have been solved with some duct tape stuck on the end of a long pole. But it was still fun to watch. I was also tickled by the fact that they came up with the same way of "docking" the two ships that I thought of, i.e. having the girls' capsule link up with the shuttle's robot arm.

It's too bad this is only a 12-episode show. Maybe they'll do another season later. We can hope, right?
Old 2007-05-11, 13:17   Link #79
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Spoiler for Ep 11:
I took another look and you're right.
Spoiler for ep11:
Old 2007-05-15, 19:08   Link #80
Yaoi_Pocky
mentionitis ouendanica

Quote:

Spoiler for Ep 11:

As I said before, it's a bit silly to think that NASA would leave the space shuttle up there just sitting in orbit waiting for our heroines to come fix a problem that could just as easily have been solved with some duct tape stuck on the end of a long pole. But it was still fun to watch. I was also tickled by the fact that they came up with the same way of "docking" the two ships that I thought of, i.e. having the girls' capsule link up with the shuttle's robot arm.

It's too bad this is only a 12-episode show. Maybe they'll do another season later. We can hope, right?
Well, the Rocket Girls light novel series (which the anime is based on) is complete, with three volumes in total.

So, unless Nojiri Housuke starts up a sequel series to the original light novels... the anime would probably be a one season deal.
Yaoi_Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci-fi, shounen