User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I love you XD
Cokkie for you
Old 2008-07-20, 03:31   Link #182
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
I guess that I need to start alot of DVD's for this series, since it's getting alot I 'm gonna go an d check the whole thing out for sure.
Old 2008-07-20, 17:37   Link #183
solidified

WOW!
That was nothing short of amazing!
That's how a great series needed to be capped off. Its a shame its over thoh =*(
Hopefully series like Naruto and Bleach would end in a wicked awesome way as well.

Spoiler for best fight:
solidified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 19:48   Link #184
Cyz
"Show it to me"

It finally finished! And I thought there was another book after Fire
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 20:00   Link #185
Faeyice
it's animal, unbelievable
*Graphic Designer

jnsdhbsasnjadsav EPIC IT WAS EPIC. ;AAAA;
Dude, it WON beyond comprehension.

I'm going to be hyper for weeks now. 8D;
Well, so much for my Ty Laang crack ship. D; Ah well, I don't really care. xD

...Kyoshi Warrior Ty Lee is awesome. O:
...The Melon Lord. 'Nuff Said. 8D
Old 2008-07-20, 20:09   Link #186
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Wow, Just WOW

This is one of the best or maybe the best American Cartoon that has every been created since the days of the old He-Man and Thundercats. Shoot, it is even better than some of the Anime right now. I am hearing that they want to do a another story in the Avatar World, I am so want to see that.

We will miss you, "Space" Sword and Boomrang.
Old 2008-07-20, 21:29   Link #187
Icehellion

Send a message via AIM to Icehellion
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidified View Post
WOW!
That was nothing short of amazing!
That's how a great series needed to be capped off. Its a shame its over thoh =*(
Hopefully series like Naruto and Bleach would end in a wicked awesome way as well.

Spoiler for best fight:
the music was what made that fight i think, too bad they haven't released the soundtrack

note on ember island players, that was an interesting take on a "clip show"
Icehellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 21:34   Link #188
JoieKawaiiDesu
Konata

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT AVATAR IS OVER!! Is everyone 100% sure that there is not going to be another book??

Last edited by JoieKawaiiDesu; 2008-07-20 at 21:57.
JoieKawaiiDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 22:15   Link #189
Icehellion

Send a message via AIM to Icehellion
from what i understand nick & co might still do stories in the same universe but with different ppl. if its any consolation, movie adaptation is being done by m night ... From what I've read, it will be a trilogy reflecting each book
Icehellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 22:52   Link #190
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Not too hopeful on the live-action, as M. Night jumped the shark years ago and they're reportedly casting a 19 year-old as Aang. We'll see.

As for a follow-up animation, that's more promising - though I'll miss these characters like hell. It's rare in a show with this size cast, but there was no one I didn't really like - Katara could be supremely annoying but I never really disliked her as a character. The big untold story for me (the Azula and Ursa cliffhangers are more personal stories than global unknowns) is the fate of the Air Nation. What happens when the Avatar cycle returns to the Air Nomads, if they're all gone? Is there some remnant, like the Sun Warriors, hiding out and waiting to return now that balance has been restored? If there's a "Book Four", that's the obvious candidate.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 23:05   Link #191
james0246

^ Agreed. Tying Zuko's mother into the storyline would also allow the diversity of storylines similiar to the previous Books.

That being said, I never really understood the differences between the groups of people. Specifically, is Bending a Nature or a Nurture issue (is it genetic or cultural)? In the final episode, Aang and the giant turtle thingy stated that "energy" is the supreme similarity between all people, so does that mean anyone can learn a different style of bending than their nation? Can a child of the Fire Nation learn Water bending or vice versa? Or, are Fire Benders actually a different species of humanity than Water Benders, so it is impossible for a Fire Nation child to ever Water bend (and consequently the Avatar is the ultimate mutant )?

Then again, maybe I am looking at this too realistically, and I should just enjoy it for what it is .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 23:17   Link #192
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, if in fact that were possible, what would be the purpose of the Avatar? His whole raison d'etre is that he's the only human who can master more than one element. I suppose he could take what the lion-turtle taught him - in it's own words, from a time before the four nations and element-bending - and teach it to the world, thus ending the need for an Avatar cycle at all.
Old 2008-07-20, 23:19   Link #193
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Incidentally, like so much in the Avatar-verse, the lion-turtle is not just some random creation - it's actually taken from Chinese mythology.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_YP8BvOyP1_4/Rm...Image00020.jpg
Old 2008-07-20, 23:31   Link #194
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well, if in fact that were possible, what would be the purpose of the Avatar? His whole raison d'etre is that he's the only human who can master more than one element. I suppose he could take what the lion-turtle taught him - in it's own words, from a time before the four nations and element-bending - and teach it to the world, thus ending the need for an Avatar cycle at all.
I did not mean a scenario in which a Fire-Bender could also use Water-Bending. I meant: could a child of the Fire Nation (not in any way taught as a Fire-Bender) be brought to one of the water tribes (as a child) and learn Water-bending? I understand why only the Avatar can use all the elements (i.e. the spiritual ramification, etc.), but what is the reason why only people born in the Fire Nation can use Fire-Bending, or only people born in the poles can use Water-Bending?

I am asking this question since it directly relates to whether or not there are any Air Benders left. Specifically, Maybe children just need to be raised as Air nomads in order to become Air-Benders (ala the "heart of an Air Bender" that Aang mentions in regards to his wheelchair bound friend (I am sorry, I have forgotten his name))? This would be a way for Aang to restart the Air nomad society without there needing to be some random group of Air nomads just kind of hanging out on some random mountain that Aang has never visited before.
Old 2008-07-20, 23:44   Link #195
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ah - a very interesting question, indeed - "nature vs. nurture". I suspect the ability to bend a specific element is genetic, since most members of a tribe have no bending ability at all. But, just possibly, a child might be born with a simple "yes-no" bending gene, and what they learn to bend is dependent on their upbringing. It if is totally genetic, what if an airbender and a waterbender (cough) had a kid? Interesting...
Old 2008-07-20, 23:49   Link #196
Monkey D. Luffy

The spirit and the world is what connects all the people, be it bad or good and what makes them all the same, in the episode "The Avatar And The Firelord" they touch on this and is what was being shown as one of the major themes.

It's not only that some people were born with specific bending abilities (which is what determines if they are a bender or not and what element) learned and descending from the original benders (The Moon and Ocean, Dragons, Air Bisons, Badger moles) and some were not but that each person and each element are a diverse pieces of the same puzzle that is the world they live in. Each element has a weakness and each elements has a strong point and even though the Fire Nation abused their's that doesn't make them or the element terrible or evil, as they are a part of the same world their trying to colonize.

That is why the Avatar exists becuase he's the medium between the spirit world and the their world and he's the overseer and the one that brings balance, that is why he possess all the elements and the knowledge of all those Avatars passed who also learned the same thing.

Edit: Also as long as Aang is alive I don't see why the Airbenders couldn't rise again, sure it may take centuries for these new benders to acquire the same level of culture and ideology that the Air Nomads had but with the progression of time i'm sure it could happen.

As for a new series, I don't really know if they can recreate anything close to this show but I wouldn't blame them for trying. There are many things that can still be answered and not necessarily in a series but I know all the Avatar fans would be delighted if they did. The creators have said before they have other things in the Avatar world in the works but ultimately it's up to them. I'll watch the Live Action movies but there will always be talk if they can remain faithful and capture the true essence of the show.

I'll miss this show and the characters alot though since it was truely great and I don't think we've seen the last of it, atleast I hope. (Katara refrence)

Last edited by Monkey D. Luffy; 2008-07-21 at 01:07.
Monkey D. Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 00:05   Link #197
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Ah - a very interesting question, indeed - "nature vs. nurture". I suspect the ability to bend a specific element is genetic, since most members of a tribe have no bending ability at all. But, just possibly, a child might be born with a simple "yes-no" bending gene, and what they learn to bend is dependent on their upbringing. It if is totally genetic, what if an airbender and a waterbender (cough) had a kid? Interesting...
This was more or less what I thought might be going on (I am glad I could clarify my position properly). I expect that since Aang is the Avatar, whatever child he has would be more dependent on the mother (or father in Kisoshi's, and other female Avatars, case ).

Additionally, it is possible that Aang could simply use his new "energy" powers to turn a bunch of people into Air Benders (if he can take away the power, then he might be able to give the power to people with minds/spirits similiar to the Air nomads), thus recreating the Air nation.

There are quite a few possible directions that the series could take .
Old 2008-07-21, 04:17   Link #198
einhorn303

You know, a lot of people on /co/ have speculated that Ty Lee has some Air Nomad blood in her. Not 100%, but some grandfather.

1. Her extreme agility and flighty personality
2. Sensitivity to chi required to block it...doesn't that involve chakras?
3. Her facial features seem sort of Tibetan...not entirely the more sculpted features of the Fire Nation characters, at least.
4. Her hair color, it seems more pure Fire Nation blooders (the Royal family) tend towards black hair.
5. Her eye color

In regards to a new season, I don't really want another season of Avatar...I want another Western show just as good as it. Steampunk adventures in fantasy Europe with zeppelins and winged lions, that's what I want to see. And an engineer loli, because as webcomics have shown, supersciencephiliacal girls have high potential for moe~
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 05:04   Link #199
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Hm, not much that I didn't expect. The animation was great and the comedy/drama mix was wonderful. Overall, the series deserves a solid 8/10 from me.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 06:26   Link #200
Crontica

This show is a one of the kind. The finale SHUUUPURB! really enjoyed the battle scenes the comedy and the unfolding plot all in all this gets a perfect 20/20 from me, because it may take centuries before we ever see a series like this again.