AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

View Poll Results: Valvrave the Liberator 2 - Episode 12 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 16 13.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 10.83%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 20.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 13.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 14 11.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 5.83%
4 out of 10 : Poor 7 5.83%
3 out of 10 : Bad 7 5.83%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 4.17%
1 out of 10 : Painful 11 9.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-26, 14:03   Link #181
zerriet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
1)What the new enemy they are fighting.
2)What inside the penchant and what that fucking promise.
3)How did the idea of coexisting become a empire.
4)Maybe if there a season 3, there might be the Saki confrontation with Cain which I will love to see. There the "Haruto save me!" Part need some explanation.
5)A better closure than this PoS.
6)What that green life form? Magius?
7)More infos and details on the empire.
8)L-elf's new waifu.
9)Potentially have Haruto live longer and some happy moment spend with Saki.
10)Episode fucking 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, we are all waiting for Saki's baby
Old 2013-12-26, 14:03   Link #182
Haigon

Started watching the raws and the "fabrication" didn't sounded kinda... asspulled?

>Saki is stabs
>"Durr death to bakemonos!"
>Fuhrer got the throat sliced
>"It's fake! I swear."
>"Thank goodness, you are my greatest ally newsman DDD"
Old 2013-12-26, 14:04   Link #183
~BC~

I get the feeling that the decision on whether or not to continue the series was up in limbo by the time this episode was scripted. As such, they wanted the immediate conflict wrapped up but left plenty to explore in the event they get an ok to continue.
Old 2013-12-26, 14:08   Link #184
zerriet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BC~ View Post
I get the feeling that the decision on whether or not to continue the series was up in limbo by the time this episode was scripted. As such they wanted the immediate conflict wrapped up but left plenty to explore in the event they get an ok to continue.
By that logic, i think it makes sense. The director might want an episode to act as a follow up to a potential season 3, but at the same time not create such a blatant cliff hanger to the point where people dont feel any closure. So it might be correct to say this was the best way to end season 2
Old 2013-12-26, 14:08   Link #185
Irenesharda

Quote:
1)What the new enemy they are fighting.
2)What inside the penchant and what that fucking promise.
3)How did the idea of coexisting become a empire.

7)More infos and details on the empire.
8)L-elf's new waifu.

10)Episode fucking 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!
These are also things I would like to know. What was the purpose of episode 10, they lose serious points there since it added up to nothing but shock value.

I'm guessing the promise is still the "Never give up" she had with Haruto though I would like to know the picture the locket held.

This empire is again supposed to be about coexistence, and yet, it's really only a handful of kamitsuki and a bunch of humans. I'm guessing though they they are making alliances with other aliens too, but the what we see at the end. Also, they never explain how they fixed the rune problem and how all three pilots still remember 200+ years later. I guess they have so many extra pilots now, that they all share the load.

And are Pino and Prue still prisoners here? Slaves to maintaining that freaking engine?! The show went out of the way to make the Magius sympathetic, and then ends up giving them all the shaft at the end for the all-so-more-important humans. How is this about coexistence again?

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-12-26, 14:13   Link #186
Sakuratsuki

@DevilHighDxD

Thank you for the summary of the plot holes. The thing I want to know the most is:

- who is in that pendant

seeing the plot holes. I really think we will get more. Or maybe I'm wrong, I didn't watch much mecha animes befire ( only gundam, and gundam seed). So maybe it is something normal in mecha anime, to leave things unanswered
Old 2013-12-26, 14:15   Link #187
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
Maybe Shoko despite being VVV1 pilot just is a gaurdian of the memorial place of VVV pilots and really doesn't do anything

Also, I think either Saotomi or A-Drei could have been the rulers of the new nation they built. But since Saotomi becomes a pilot his chances are less. I think it would be fitting that either of these 2 became the leaders as opposed to Shoko or L-Elf.
Well, we see L-elf in a uniform with a ceremonial sash which is usually worn by royalty or extremely high military rank, also the prince does seem to be L-elf's descendant, so I'm thinking he became emperor. Especially since he's the one of the two founders of the nation along with Haruto.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-12-26, 14:16   Link #188
Kirayuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigon View Post
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
The guy who made the name plate should be shot really, not even a name of "Thunder" for Yamada. What a blasphemy!
Old 2013-12-26, 14:17   Link #189
II Maestro

So if Pino & Plue have disappeared from Hito's engine for some unknown reason how did the valvrave remain operational in 200+ years and instead the valvrave's color black it turned in gold.
Old 2013-12-26, 14:28   Link #190
Riki
ランダム王

They could have at least used the harakiri blade for the final kill.....i miss that op skill
Old 2013-12-26, 14:29   Link #191
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Honesty all the endings of season 2 is hyping a fight between Cain and L-elf which we see none of that, which it was something I was looking forward to so bad. Was expecting to Haruto beating Cain in mecha battle and L-elf finishes Cain off. Also Dainsleif didn't even split into 5 mini Mecha, that was also disappointing.

Really sad to say but only the good thing about Valvrave is Saki, the rest is terrible due to the garbage writing by Okouchi. He won't even let Haruto reciprocated Saki's love just for a final moment letting Saki know at least Haruto loved her even if it not the same level as Shoko...

Last edited by DevilHighDxD; 2013-12-26 at 14:44.
Old 2013-12-26, 14:42   Link #192
Irenesharda

I'm trying to reserve judgement, but the more I think about it the more disappointed I am.

In fact the only scenes that I can say that I really like about this episode were:
  • X-eins death, it was pointless but pretty sad and you could see it coming from a mile away the moment he decided to challenge Cain.
  • Q-vier's death was even worse. A-drei tried his best with his pseudo-little brother, and yet actually killed the kid by mistake. He didn't realize Q-vier's shield was broken and so he wasn't able to block. Little psycho kid really was a tragedy in the making....
  • Parts of Cain's fight with Haruto/L-elf was really good, though the whole "using pure will power to defeat you" angle has been done to death and really was a cop out here.
  • Cain using the last of his power to save Prue when he could have saved himself. That was really sweet, and really gave a heart to this guy who for all intents and purposes has been the antagonist all this time.

Other than all these parts, everything else seems coated with plotholes, rushed storytelling, and just overall disappointment.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-12-26, 14:51   Link #193
~BC~

So, I was just browsing some blogs and noticed that one of the images that appears in the cockpit looks like a cook off between L-Elf and Haruto (edit: on closer inspection it looks like they're running a food booth). This better make it's way into a OVA short or something. Can we get that at least Sunrise/Aniplex?

And I don't know if this was answered but to the person who asked, Iori is alive and apparently still with the module as of the wedding. I'm surprised she even attended. Guess she came around.
Old 2013-12-26, 14:55   Link #194
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerriet View Post
Sadly, i think alot of people might solely judge the series on its last episode, which although not terrible, is basically the wrong assumption
Can't really give them wrong though. A lot of shows are measured not by their beginning or middle, but by the way they are ended. The ending is what cements a show's legacy & VVV's end pretty much gave the rest of the series the finger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitestorm View Post
Saki's the oldest Kamitsuki with Haruto gone, so perhaps seniority?
I guess so. But honestly, Satomi would do the best job at it though. He's the best leader after L-Elf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
There is definitely enough to do a equal series with. I mean. What was up with the new golden look of the Valvraves? Who is Saki fighting in the future? Why leave Haruto's dad in Dorssia if he's not going to continue contributing to the plot? How did the Empire become so vast? Why does Saki have a new symbol on here machine in the future?
Also, if the whole purpose to the Empire is tolerance and coexistence, than why relabel the Valvraves with the question "Do you believe in human beings?" Shouldn't ALL beings now be important?

I really how that if they do do another series they show more of this coexistence and not just a few kamitsuki living with a bunch of humans.

With a new series, they would have to do a whole new cast with it set in a future time. But it could work.
Exactly, there is so much they can capitalize on, but if this season fails to garner attention & sales, might as well bid it farewell. Then again, if shows like Minami ke (I hate this series) can get four seasons, why can't Valvrave?

A season set in the future that features a new cast getting support from the surviving members of the old cast does sound interesting. Hopefully it doesn't pull a SEED Destiny on us though. Lets hope they just drop a 3rd cour announcement on us.

Quote:
Honesty all the endings of season 2 is hyping a fight between Cain and L-elf which we see none of that, which it was something I was looking forward to so bad. Was expecting to Haruto beating Cain in mecha battle and L-elf finishes Cain off. Also Dainsleif didn't even split into 5 mini Mecha, that was also disappointing.
Well, to be fair, it was technically L-ELf that defeated Cain. [His skills, his reflexes, his piloting ability, etc...] Haruto was simply the controller.

It didn't split into mini mecha, but it did feature extra limbs. When it's arms were intercepting Hito, the arms hidden on it's legs attacked.

Oh another interesting tidbit. It's weapons featured dual-functionality. It doubled as an OP hard light emitter/blaster & also featured shielding on par with VVV V's. Then it featured extra limbs as a nod to VVV III's octo-arms. It didn't feature the dodging ability of Carmilla though. It was also a close range type like Hito. Judging by it's style of fighting.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
Old 2013-12-26, 15:03   Link #195
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

^I hopping for Haruto to beat Cain in mecha battle then Cain come out of Dainsleif to face L-elf on a proper 1 on 1 fight. Cain's death is so anti-climax, as someone who consistently outsmarted L-elf he should have a back up plan incase. I'm so hyped for this episode that couldn't slept for a whole night and this is what they give us?
Old 2013-12-26, 15:05   Link #196
finalfury
Incognito

Why is shokos suit red instead of golden red?

okouchi meets my expectations tbh.

whoever designed the saki side ponytail gets major bonus points
Old 2013-12-26, 15:06   Link #197
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Well... this ending wasn't able to salvage the series at all, much to the contrary.

Frankly, Okouchi's gimmicky writting is at its worst here, considering what he has done:

-Meaningless deaths? Check
-Showing useless characters for the hell of it? Check
-Bringing more questions than answer? Check
-Convenient plot devices? Check

It isn't like Haruto's death was any surprising considering the huge number of death flags left and right. It just feels absurdely silly and tasteless to shape a character this way and just kick the dead horse to the very end (not like I liked him or anything, but the writing was so persistent into giving him the short end of a stick it wasn't funny anymore).

It wasn't a matter of making Shoko redeeming herself whatsoever, but considering how the ending wrapped the matter, she wasn't even a character but a plot device and a catalyst for Haruto's "tragic fate". She served as the driving force for Haruto thorough the series, and just having her mopping around and make him sad with the emphasis on the memory made her role even more minor than it was supposed to be.

As for the rest, the plot had so many throwaway stuff it was awkward to have an epilogue that lasts for... 1 minute?
Dear me, it was a major example of planning incompetence there: we have learned close to nothing about Pino and Prue, same goes for "Cain" (weirdly enough, everyone call him with his human body name despite he is a full fledged Magius), so many stuff were barely glossed.
Obviously nothing about the module 77 kids whatsoever (not like they were any important past half of the first season etc).

Not even the final battle was any satisfying considering the exaggeratedly one sided aspect of it, Cain's godly skills, and Haruto's solution copout (unless I missed the memo, the valvrave requires a compatible pilot and even Pino mentioned that L Elf body would taste bad, so I frankly laugh at Haruto piloting the valvrave with L elf body. In fact, I expected L elf to pilot the valvrave with Haruto's body.).

A trainwreck, literally.
Old 2013-12-26, 15:06   Link #198
Birdway
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
So Shoko does nothing and gets a happy ending! Just as I knew it would happen! At least Takahi and Satomi married and A-drei will marry L-elf at last. He caught that bouquet.
That's the magic of being the writer's favorite character!(see his twiits).
Old 2013-12-26, 15:07   Link #199
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfury View Post
Why is shokos suit red instead of golden red?
Only Carmilla got the special treatment perhaps or have they forgotten about the Golden 7 all together?

She also had his side ponytail in her idol uniform.
Old 2013-12-26, 15:11   Link #200
finalfury
Incognito

Quote:
Only Carmilla got the special treatment perhaps or have they forgotten about the Golden 7 all together?

She also had his side ponytail in her idol uniform.
This one looks much better from a stylists pov imo

the flash forward also had a three year gap so yea, unrealized potential ftw.