AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-03-05, 05:49   Link #181
sneaker

I see. Let's see how long it takes for the final to be released.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-14, 23:30   Link #182
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 Build 9.0.8112.16421 Release to Web (RTW) goes live.

Spoiler for brief changelog:

Benchmarks, samples and other examples are available at the IE9 showcase site, http://www.beautyoftheweb.com, but a good rundown of IE9's features can be found here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/i.../ie-9/features.

IE Addons are available at http://ieaddons.com/en/

Regardless of what people will say about IE like security (it took no less than three security holes to hack through IE8 at the Pwn2Own 2011 - gotta love the name, it sounds so serious - software security convention, whereas it only took one and a couple seconds to totally rip Safari a new aperture), one thing is certain - it has won the edge in terms of hardware acceleration. It comes at a price, though - it has fully embraced the NT 6.1+ kernel and has left XP behind, being only compatible with Vista SP2, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 operating systems. More than 40 million betas and release candidates have been downloaded, bearing testimony to how popular it is, since it became obvious that MS is now taking a more than active side in embracing Web standards, HTML5 and other forerunner technologies like tracking list protection, hardware acceleration, etc.

It is MS' most standards-compliant version of IE yet, with a 95% score on the ACID3 test (support for the 5% remaining percent was deliberately withheld, since they concern technology that is either still in R&D or has been asked by the developers themselves, to be withdrawn from the ACID3 test battery).

Other browser news: Opera 11.10 is still in alpha stage, though it appears the latest build was...particularly unstable (should be normal for an alpha, though I hoped they would actually concentrate on stability...but I guess it will only happen when the browser will go beta). This version will include a smart speed dial. I'm still getting crashes every once in a while, but after some consideration, I'm not totally sure I can chalk all of them up to Flash not playing nice. The Bug Report system remains as unhelpful as ever - seems it has documentation about the issues at all.
Spoiler for changelog for Build 2033 Alpha:

Aside from that, it seems that the Mozilla guys have decided that one Release Candidate is enough for v4.0 and there is no need to compile another new version. Which means that the final version will be available at the end of the month.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2011-03-15 at 00:03.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 05:37   Link #183
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
The question remains .. Why use IE when you can use Firefox/Opera/Chrome ? Even with new builds and whatever, it's still inferior.
Old 2011-03-16, 12:30   Link #184
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
The question remains .. Why use IE when you can use Firefox/Opera/Chrome ? Even with new builds and whatever, it's still inferior.
The improvements are obivously just done to help the silly some 50~60% of people whom only ever used IE as a web browser .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 16:39   Link #185
monster

If you feel that you really need a feature or two that the latest IE for your version of Windows does not provide, then you can always download another browser that meets your needs. Otherwise, there's nothing silly about using something that just works for you.

For my browsing needs on Windows, IE is not inferior in any significant way to other browsers. And I've used Firefox, Opera, Safari, and Chrome.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 16:46   Link #186
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
If you feel that you really need a feature or two that the latest IE for your version of Windows does not provide, then you can always download another browser that meets your needs. Otherwise, there's nothing silly about using something that just works for you.
Aside from the fact that IE takes an average of 60 days to fix security flaws, while Mozilla takes average of 8 days to fix security flaws with Firefox. IE still fails to offer support of NoScript or an equivalent feature, and it's a near must have for browsing the internet in my opinion.

If IE actually handles fixing flaws in a more timely manner and supported noscript then it could be a decent browser.
MAL
Old 2011-03-16, 16:48   Link #187
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
... in my opinion.
Exactly so.
Old 2011-03-16, 16:52   Link #188
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Konakaga, have you tried playing with the settings. I don't use IE, but as I recall you can just set the security level to paranoid and it will basically do the same thing noscript does.
Old 2011-03-16, 17:14   Link #189
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Konakaga, have you tried playing with the settings. I don't use IE, but as I recall you can just set the security level to paranoid and it will basically do the same thing noscript does.
I haven't personally used IE at home at all for a quite sometime because my laptop won't allow me to install IE 9 [or even 8 for that matter] for some reason or another and not really interested in using IE 7 at all . So no, I haven't tried to use those settings to see if it does offer more security or not, since on the school computers settings are much more restricted I can't really try the setting on them.
MAL
Old 2011-03-16, 23:49   Link #190
Nihokon

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
but as I recall you can just set the security level to paranoid and it will basically do the same thing noscript does.
I don't use IE too so I'm not sure, but does it really do the same thing like noscript? I mean, with blocking specific scripts and all?
Old 2011-03-17, 08:16   Link #191
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
The improvements are obivously just done to help the silly some 50~60% of people whom only ever used IE as a web browser .
Well those numbers may drop for those still using windows XP since IE9 is only available for those using vista and 7 (unless those people are dumb enough to keep using IE7 or 8 ).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 08:52   Link #192
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
(unless those people are dumb enough to keep using IE7 or 8).
Yeah, like that's very unlikely…
Old 2011-03-17, 09:19   Link #193
monster

Usage of IE6 and IE7 is on the decline regardless of whether or not IE9 is available on XP. Meanwhile, IE8 is still very much usable with the web today and in the near future.
Old 2011-03-18, 09:35   Link #194
demonix

Quote:
Usage of IE6 and IE7 is on the decline regardless of whether or not IE9 is available on XP. Meanwhile, IE8 is still very much usable with the web today and in the near future.
Well there are some sites that have stopped supporting IE6 so there would be a decline in that anyway.

Well I installed IE9 on my laptop and thus far I'm not too impressed since the java system that the 64-bit version is useless (log into yahoo mail and you'll find that the web messenger doesn't work) and the interface is absolutely hopeless.
Old 2011-03-18, 10:13   Link #195
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Well I installed IE9 on my laptop and thus far I'm not too impressed since the java system that the 64-bit version is useless (log into yahoo mail and you'll find that the web messenger doesn't work)
So you're not impressed with IE9 because 64-bit Java and/or Yahoo web messenger doesn't work? Then perhaps the problem isn't really with IE9. And it's probably better to use the default 32-bit version anyway.
Quote:
and the interface is absolutely hopeless.
In what way?
Old 2011-03-18, 16:02   Link #196
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Exactly so.
It's a fact that IE has security flaws though. You're putting your computer on constant risk by using that piece of crap :x
Old 2011-03-18, 18:48   Link #197
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
It's a fact that IE has security flaws though. You're putting your computer on constant risk by using that piece of crap :x
Actually, IE9 Runs faster than Chrome right now; looking at a fresh build on chrome and the RTM IE9, I'm picking IE right now because it's light right now, and meshes well with Windows 7's superbar. Also those who are afraid to use IE, especially 9 are either misinformed or often relying on heresay, IE9 has been a good browser ever since beta.
Old 2011-03-19, 02:59   Link #198
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
*Cough* Have you even actually tried it or are you just parroting outdated techno-gossip?

If you're talking about ActiveX then any browser that makes allowances for this form of technology is a virtual deathtrap, especially if they were deliberately designed with a malicious mindset. Furthermore, it is easy to adjust security settings and prevent them from becoming digital ratholes on your machine. IE9 even introduced ActiveX Filtering, which disables those objects every time a page tries to declare them - but that also means you can't watch Flash videos either, because the Adobe plugin comes in the form of an ActiveX. The security interface is, I concede, dinkier and less user-friendly than on Opera or FF, but it IS there. People are just too lazy or ignorant to take a look at it.

As for security flaws, you might actually be surprised. A lot of security firms (even Alwil - the guys who created Avast) actually consider IE8 as one of the safest browsers there is out there. It actually catches more social engineering malware than other brands and uses a sandboxing feature known as 'Protected Mode' - which denies write access to the rest of the operating system. Opera, who doesn't use any sandboxing (unlike Chrome and IE7/8/9), is actually more likely to let something pass than IE or Chrome.

At the Pwn2Own 2011 convention, where software security companies attempt to crack browsers in order to take control of a laptop (the winner receives the cracked laptop and a financial reward) within a specific timeframe, it took several hours and no less than three different security holes to take over IE8 on W7 x64. In contrast, Safari got hacked in just a few minutes by a French firm with a single drive-by attack using an intentionally badly coded webpage. As for Chrome...nobody bothered about it (two firms are signed up for the attempt to hack it, but neither showed up at the designated hour, leaving the browser unhacked...but also unproven)(Google nevertheless had to patch Chrome afterwards when a WebKit-using Blackberry got hacked, which means that they probably shared the same vulnerability). It is unsure as to whether IE9 would fall prey to the same trick, since they added additional security layers such as DEP/NX (Data Execution Prevention / No eXecute), ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization) and SafeSEH (Safe Structured Exception Handling).

My reasons for using more of IE9 are motivated by practicality - my main browser is Opera but unfortunately ever since v10.54 it's been plagued with stability bugs and every once in a while, it crashes on me, sometimes leading to frustrating data loss or interruption of ongoing activities. And while I first believed Flash to be the infuriating little culprit behind those mishaps, there have been crashes on pages that were not Flash-intensive or didn't even feature such animations...and I very much doubt the other plugins are to blame either. Which means that every once in a while, I use IE9. It also helps that the rendering is very snappy and at times it appears to graphically outperform other browsers thanks to hardware acceleration.

As for Firefox, the only reason I use it is for the add-ons (Embedded Objects, NoScript, AdBlock Plus). Not for the browser itself - it doesn't have any game-changing feature that would make me jump ships.

On a different topic, Opera 11.10 Build 2048 just entered beta stage. Here's the massive changelog:

Spoiler for changelog:

And FF4 will go RTW on the 22nd of this month, apparently. And since Mozilla wants to go all Google-y with the release pace, there are rumors that FF5 will come 16 weeks after FF4.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2011-03-20 at 07:17.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 09:31   Link #199
demonix

Quote:
In what way?
It just looks ugly like they've tried to copy google chrome and did a pretty bad job of it.
Old 2011-03-19, 09:36   Link #200
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
On a different topic, Opera 11.10 Build 2048 just entered beta stage. Here's the massive changelog:

Spoiler for changelog:
Is it usable? What I mean is what are the known issues with it.

Tags
chrome, excited, firefox, internet explorer, opera, reviews