AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-12-11, 16:42   Link #181
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I don't think any of us expected the situation to be treated in such a light hearted manner, and that's the reason I loved it.

I forgot to say I loved Rei's phone call to Kyouko.
Old 2016-12-12, 10:40   Link #182
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Lol, distant thunder... judging by the chapter title and Kyouko being likened to harbinger of rain, I too was expecting a more grim chapter. Didn't expect such a lighthearted episode especially with all the foreshadowing, so definitely was fun in that respect.

Which of course makes me more interested in what happens in the future. Rei definitely said "that light eventually brought on a pounding rain" last episode, and if it wasn't Matsunaga, then maybe something in the near future.

One interesting tidbit in this episode. Rei says in the end that 'family members should help each other.' Glad to see his idea of family wasn't corrupted at all by Kyouko, even when judging by the episode preview, Kyouko ruined a family christmas in the past. Put it with the coming of pounding rain, maybe because Rei foiled her plan by not being depressed, maybe she'll go the extra mile this coming christmas to mess him up even more?

And man, Kyouko still is an enigma. Obviously she orchestrated Rei's mindset in that win or lose, he would be depressed (only to be foiled by Rei himself XD). But to be the one who called to check up on him, and wanting to meet... I really don't know if she is genuinely concerned, or there to mock him in the inside while 'comforting' him. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it was both...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 15:20   Link #183
HandofFate

Another good Kyouko interaction in episode 10
Curious to how her boyfriend is.
From Rei, sounds like he's pretty quick to anger and violence, but Kyouko says if he ever hits her, she would stab him at night. And I think I could believe it, and if the guy is able to 'tame' Kyouko somewhat, I think he knows what will happen if he does direct it towards her.

Last edited by HandofFate; 2016-12-17 at 20:48.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 16:37   Link #184
Yamada II

Episode 10

So Kyouko is here to make Rei feel guilty for separating a girl from her father on their last Christmas together. It shouldn't really concern Rei what happens after someone loses to him, but Rei can't help but feel a bit guilty. He feels that he's the bad guy for letting this happen. It happened in the last episode too with the old man who was going to retire. This time, Rei bursts. It isn't his fault that the man tries to escape by getting drunk as hell. It's not his fault that guy was weak. He can't just lose either for that man's sake. Shogi is the only thing he has; shogi brought him close to his biological father, it gave him a family after his own died, it is his only means of earning money for survival. He can't just lose to make every other loser happy. Kyouko was trying to make him feel guilty probably as revenge for what happened to her thanks to Rei being too good at the game.

Pretty neat episode. I really liked Rei blowing up over there. Good stuff here.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 17:51   Link #185
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That episode was exactly what I expected to see last week. The last episode let my guard down so that this one could hit me even harder. I bet Kyouko is going to be happy this time.
Old 2016-12-17, 18:34   Link #186
Dextro
He Without a Title

Beautiful... Absolutely breathtakingly beautiful! From Kyouko's beautiful yet poisonous meeting by the river with Rei to the music accompanying the match and topping off with that scene in the park, virtually every moment was amazingly executed with an impact like I haven't witnessed in quite some time. From th moment Rei started to run I was already emphasising with what he was going to do next. I've been there. Not in the exact same situation of having to cause misery on another but the more general one of wanting to run and scream cursing whatever I found unfair in the world. I'm pretty sure most people have been there an that's part o the reason why that scene has such impact.

Honestly I was ready to drop this show by episode 3 yet thankfully I didn't. Such a beautiful, beautiful string of episodes these last couple of weeks.
Old 2016-12-17, 18:50   Link #187
bakato

Will this bitch ever get her due?
Old 2016-12-17, 23:19   Link #188
Wandering Soul

Rei's anguish at the end was really heartbreaking. He tried to make sure that everyone could get out of this situation at the end, but things obviously aren't going to work out as he wants them to. He just can't help, but lash out at the unfairness of the entire situation.
Old 2016-12-17, 23:57   Link #189
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Ah, that's what I expected from last episode. Just goes to show that not everything can have a happy ending. And I'm actually glad that this is the message the show is giving, since running away with alcohol should never be encouraged.

Kyouko as always is an enigma. Knowing every detail of Rei's match and Rei's opponent just to tilt him, and yet still wants to keep him warm and pretty much pushing him to spend christmas with the family. Like geez Kyouko, for someone who brought so much pain, she still can't distance herself from him? At least Rei has a reason by having the biggest first love crush...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Will this bitch ever get her due?
I think the better questions is when will Rei get over her? It's still very darn obvious he is still absolutely smitten with her, going as far as admitting that he is ashamed of wanting to hear the poison drip from Kyouko's mouth. Hearing the Kawashima family in the preview, mayhaps one of girls be the one to save him?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-18, 00:28   Link #190
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

At this point given how fantastic this adaptation is I really hope they try to cover as much as they can because a lot of what is happening will only be truly be explored and partially resolved a long way down the line. Probably beyond what they can realistically cover in 23 episodes.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-19, 01:27   Link #191
Mister Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I think the better questions is when will Rei get over her? It's still very darn obvious he is still absolutely smitten with her, going as far as admitting that he is ashamed of wanting to hear the poison drip from Kyouko's mouth. Hearing the Kawashima family in the preview, mayhaps one of girls be the one to save him?
He still has to get over his mental state, and she knows it. He didn't leave the house to be independent, he did it to escape an uncomfortable situation which he is still afraid of.

Thinking about it, she probably picked a violent boyfriend on purpose just to torture Rei. She claims she'd stab her boyfriend if he got too rough but I somehow doubt that she would. Seems more like she'd gladly show Rei some fresh bruises if it would cultivate his guilt.
Mister Twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-24, 13:37   Link #192
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

The highest points of the show for me are when Rei chills with the Kawamoto family. This episode did not let me down on that. In fact, it was pretty much needed after the previous match and Kyoko showing up. He's slowly feeling more comfy with them, which I love. And I lol'd when Momo got a piece of that hamburger turtle and it fell off the fork before she could eat it.

And I gotta agree with the aunt. Akari's is too good to be stuck at home caring for her sisters and tending to the house all the time. Except for that one shogi player that comes there regularly, I wonder if any other customers have shown interest in her.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-25, 08:50   Link #193
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
The highest points of the show for me are when Rei chills with the Kawamoto family. This episode did not let me down on that. In fact, it was pretty much needed after the previous match and Kyoko showing up. He's slowly feeling more comfy with them, which I love. And I lol'd when Momo got a piece of that hamburger turtle and it fell off the fork before she could eat it.

And I gotta agree with the aunt. Akari's is too good to be stuck at home caring for her sisters and tending to the house all the time. Except for that one shogi player that comes there regularly, I wonder if any other customers have shown interest in her.
Well, let's just say Misaki isn't extracting money from just one customer...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-25, 14:28   Link #194
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Really really great episode. The Kawamoto sisters are truly the sweetest thing ever. I'm glad Rei got to spend new year with them.
Old 2016-12-25, 17:18   Link #195
Pen3

They used dirty tactics in making Rei unlock his doors. Who can resist a Momo crying outside their house.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-25, 19:39   Link #196
Dextro
He Without a Title

I almost broke down in tears when Rei did during, it hit me that hard. This show continues to deliver each passing week. I'm having to reach into a thesaurus to get some more praise to shower it with because it's been that enjoyable. I really did miss those sisters after the last couple of episodes. They're such sweet little things that can't help but bring a smile to my face when they show up on screen.
Old 2016-12-26, 04:13   Link #197
Boukenxha

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post

Akari is best wife material, quite frankly they are all missing out.

Indeed, the sisters are such angels, but no matter how much love they shower on Rei, Rei will always be Rei I feel, the kind that thinks he doesn't deserve their kindness and will want to less on impose them. If there could be anything to change that though, I wonder what it could be.
Boukenxha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-26, 13:24   Link #198
Wandering Soul

After that heavy last episode, we definitely needed more of the Kawamoto sisters. Thanks to them Rei didn't have to spend New Years alone and sick in bed.

It was also nice to be reminded that Rei's foster father cares about him, even if his neglect was what led to the strained relationship between Rei and Kyouko.
Old 2016-12-28, 03:13   Link #199
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

after not seeing Kawamoto sisters for 2 episodes in row, they showed up and saved Rei

whole Kawamoto's family is very sweet
Rei is lucky guy
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-07, 16:57   Link #200
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

It feels good watching this after 2 weeks. And we get a new OP and ED, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well, let's just say Misaki isn't extracting money from just one customer...
Yeah, the latest episode answered that. Looks like she's REAL popular with a bunch of people in the shogi association lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boukenxha View Post
Akari is best wife material, quite frankly they are all missing out.

Indeed, the sisters are such angels, but no matter how much love they shower on Rei, Rei will always be Rei I feel, the kind that thinks he doesn't deserve their kindness and will want to less on impose them. If there could be anything to change that though, I wonder what it could be.
Not gonna spoil anything that may seem minor, but I think Rei's realizing what his life has been before meeting the family. And yes, Akari is wife material to the maximum.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, seinen, shogi