AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-02-25, 10:17   Link #181
Ghostfriendly

From ep 9, it does seem like a transcendence/human instrumentality business. Does anyone know where Anno got the idea for all humanity becoming one individual in the first place, apart from Childhood's End? Transcendence as evoked by the Uploading of Ghost in the Shell has precedents in Buddhism and Christianity, but not so much with EVA.

I am satisfied that Jin's speeches wrapped up some thematic threads very nicely, but my principal feeling about ep 9 is annoyance that Nagi could beat up a dozen thugs without injury. Fantastic realism should be fantastic elements in a basically realisticsetting. Making Nagi something like a superhero works against the idea in the Manticore arc that she was defeated because she was alone and overconfident. I would be happier if she had only defeated a few thugs, and one woman army scenes were saved for purely fantastical settings like b****y Goblinslayer. Yeah, I'm not over Fighter, and seeing Nagi do what she ought to have done brought it back.

The whole point of female adventurers, evil monsters, and fantastic powers is to teach us that dragons can be slain; to remember that evil can win in real life, we read realistic, or fantastic realist stories. Making a world of death and rape that adventurers treat like an RPG is just a machine to churn out false drama and rape-sploitation. So even if Boogiepop misstepped with Nagi in ep9, I'm very glad to view an older Light Novel story without rape, pretentious angst, harems or fetishised slavery.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-25, 11:08   Link #182
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
What's the point of handing out those evolution-accelerating drugs like candy then? Seems counterproductive

They off products of natural evolution but conduct experiments to create evolved people under their control. As I said above, the effect is counterproductive and gives the impression they are disrupting the world for their own aims
Spoiler:

Last edited by shmaster; 2019-02-25 at 18:27.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-25, 14:12   Link #183
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Well, this is just my theory but I don't believe their reasons are altruistic. I think they kill naturally evolved people because they're outside of their control. I think they want to control evolution. That's why they're researching it and creating their own evolved synthetic freaks.
"Why are you doing it? What could you buy that you can't already afford?"

"The future, Mr Gittes, the future!"

You're such a villain Mr Towa, bwahahaha.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-25, 21:44   Link #184
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
Has Nasu confirmed this somewhere? Would be cool if it is true.
If you want like a personal interview thing, I don't have a link. (I'm not even that much of a fan of him anyways)
However, it's more common knowledge that Boogiepop is kinda like the father of quite a number of these "chuuni"-ish current novels (I mean the actual ones, not the ones that parody or make fun of being chuuni).

Here is a sample, BTW
Quote:
現代ライトノベルの方向性を定めた作品の一つであり、セカイ系の源流の一つとなった小説。後進に与えた影響 は大きく、西尾維新、時雨沢恵一、奈須きのこなどが上遠野の影響を受けた作家としてあげられる。
As you may know, in order, Monogatari series, Kino no Tabi, and Fate
Yeah, who would have known Boogiepop is actually that amazing of a series?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-26, 05:58   Link #185
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I wonder how many of those supposed "Fate fans" watch this and if they do, realize what they saw is supposedly the inspiration for Kiritsugu/Shirou...?
Or these days, perhaps they would think that this copied off of Fate?
Quote:
If you want like a personal interview thing, I don't have a link. (I'm not even that much of a fan of him anyways)
However, it's more common knowledge that Boogiepop is kinda like the father of quite a number of these "chuuni"-ish current novels (I mean the actual ones, not the ones that parody or make fun of being chuuni).

Here is a sample, BTW

As you may know, in order, Monogatari series, Kino no Tabi, and Fate
Yeah, who would have known Boogiepop is actually that amazing of a series?
I'm aware that Nasu was inspired by the Boogiepop series, but I was wondering if the Scarecrow character was the direct inspiration to Shirou and/or Kiritsugu's hero of justice complex. Someone before me was claiming it.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-26, 19:45   Link #186
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
I'm aware that Nasu was inspired by the Boogiepop series, but I was wondering if the Scarecrow character was the direct inspiration to Shirou and/or Kiritsugu's hero of justice complex. Someone before me was claiming it.
Well, if what you saw in the episode(s) and knowledge that Nasu is influenced by Boogiepop isn't enough to convince you, there is nothing else I can say, really.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-26, 20:35   Link #187
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Well, if what you saw in the episode(s) and knowledge that Nasu is influenced by Boogiepop isn't enough to convince you, there is nothing else I can say, really.
I do acknowledge that the connection seems very plausible, but something being plausible doesn't automatically makes it true. It could for example be that he got the idea from a different source and that some aspacts of Scarecrow being the same as his idea was just a coincidence.

There are also enough other noticable elements which Nasu took from Boogiepop that makes it clear that Boogiepop was an inspiration to him without it having to include Scarecrow's wish and demeanor.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-26, 21:05   Link #188
Kazu-kun

We know Boogiepop was an inspiration for Nasu because he said so in an interview. But sadly we don't know the details. For all we know it might have nothing to do with Scarecrow. For example, maybe Naoko's archer boyfriend Shiro Tanaka was an inspiration for Shiro since they share the same name and both are archers. Also I think Nasu probably drew inspiration from the urban fantasy atmosphere of Boogiepop and Kadono's writing in general.
Old 2019-02-27, 12:27   Link #189
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm pretty sure the concept of Counter Guardians was inspired by Boogiepop. It fits Boogiepop's description of himself to a T.
Old 2019-02-28, 00:15   Link #190
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Nasu's early stuff (Kara no Kyoukai in particular) wasn't too far behind Boogiepop... like only a year or something. I dunno if there's any specific homages though.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-28, 00:57   Link #191
Applehell

Just caught up on regular broadcast episodes ( which end at 9 I believe) . Gonna leave ep 10-13 till Friday.

I doubt I can say anymore than one else has at this beyond that Imaginator Arc came to really well in the end. With episodes 1-3, I had partly thought that novels weren't particularity suited for medium and some ways that is true since this show didn't end nearly as poplar as would hoped. That's understandable given some of the adaptation issue the first arc had. This series pretty difficult watch not even so much for the non-linear storylines which was notably much less used in the 2nd arc, but fact that series requires you engage with much deeper than would most shows. Even now I don't full get some of finer points, but I general theme and idea behind the Imaginator Arc.

With how deftly Boogiepop handled everything at the end this definitely the lack of interest on her part that things continued as long as it did. Jin ultimate fell short Imaginator's wish when he got too caught up in his messiah complex, but just also means that he was right partner for her to begin with. Of course the Imaginator to see anything beyond her own desire play a part in her failure too.

Last edited by Applehell; 2019-02-28 at 04:39.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-01, 14:25   Link #192
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

King of Distortion arc started. Definitely seems like he'll be a tricky enemy. This is the first time Boogiepop has sprung into action so fast. Not sure what kind of role the new characters introduced will have, but it was good to see some familiar faces (Touka's boyfriend, class rep, Shirou). I guess we know why Boogiepop was with Echoes in the previous arc, he talked about getting out of a distortion back then so the scene took place during this arc chronologically.
Old 2019-03-01, 14:40   Link #193
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I guess we know why Boogiepop was with Echoes in the previous arc, he talked about getting out of a distortion back then so the scene took place during this arc chronologically.
Good to see someone realized that.
Spoiler for At Dawn novel spoiler:
Old 2019-03-02, 01:06   Link #194
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Now that I've finally caught up, I'm definitely enjoying this, despite the rough start.

Imaginator: Couldn't help but think of KH when Boogiepop told Jin hearts don't work the way he thinks they do, but it made sense, and seeing it followed by a counter to the snow in April line was great. Also, Boogiepop basically showed up to save Suema from raising a second major death flag, it seems, but I find it funny so it's ok. Kind of dissapointed how Spooky E went out after making you hate the guy's guts, though. Also, there was a shot of the park's ferris wheel that made me wonder, is this the same park where Phantom's climax takes place?

Dawn: Wait, is that the bug kid from Phantom? First thought that popped up in my head, though I'm pretty sure it's not the case. I think... also, finally we get the full whistle, even if the circumstances were a bit WTF. Anyways, pretty good arc all around, finally focusing on Nagi and making some things clear to me, like the Organization's role in the metaphoric sense, and I feel kind of dumb for not seeing it before, especially with the series' reputation in its role to shape chuuni modern fantasy LNs.

Distortion seems like it will be an interesting arc, with the returning characters and scope, which is fitting as it will seemingly be the last one.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the concept of Counter Guardians was inspired by Boogiepop. It fits Boogiepop's description of himself to a T.
It really does, though it could also be a case of similar inspiration in a short time window.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-02, 04:58   Link #195
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Goodness sake.
How can they destroy the scene between Kei and the Distortion King like that?
The context of the scene got totally left off. Nobody is to going to get it.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-08, 17:45   Link #196
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

We got acquainted with the new characters this week. They each got interesting stories. The one who seems the least important is the girl who wants Boogiepop to kill her (not connected to the other characters), which is the exact reason I think she's the key character. It's either her or the kid.

Not sure what to make of the King of Distortion taking on Saotome's form in Habara's world.
Old 2019-03-08, 18:14   Link #197
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Not sure what to make of the King of Distortion taking on Saotome's form in Habara's world.
The fact that Habara and Makoto (the kid) got to meet inside the dream was also pretty weird.
Old 2019-03-08, 19:28   Link #198
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The fact that Habara and Makoto (the kid) got to meet inside the dream was also pretty weird.
Yeah. Habara assumed the kid was created from his memories, but it's pretty obvious it was the real Makoto. There's the kaiju as well, which was lifted from Makoto's memories and doesn't fit the King of Distortion's MO as it was apparently trying to kill them.
Old 2019-03-15, 15:19   Link #199
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Ok, this time I really am confused. What is the King of Distortion? Was Class Rep's realization supposed to be the reveal, or is there more to come? Because that certainly didn't explain his powers.
Old 2019-03-15, 15:22   Link #200
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Ok, this time I really am confused. What is the King of Distortion? Was Class Rep's realization supposed to be the reveal, or is there more to come? Because that certainly didn't explain his powers.
Kei only figured out what the King does. We still have no idea what he really is.

Tags
horror, remake