AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2015-01-28, 14:28   Link #1981
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Index is still important. There are still too many mysteries about her that haven't been resolved for her NOT to be important.

I mean, even if you ignore her eidetic memory, Index is the only character that we don't think is a Magic God who can store many or even any grimoires without negative brain repercussions. I'm expecting the why or the how of how that is true will matter later on.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 15:36   Link #1982
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

true we don't know why index isn't dead from forced reading of 103,000 grimoires, but nevertheless, she almost has no role ever since OT ended... so until Kamachi-sensei says otherwise, she's pretty overrated until he gives us more information on her background and past, before she had her memories forced wiped a couple times.
Old 2015-01-28, 17:31   Link #1983
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Index is still important. There are still too many mysteries about her that haven't been resolved for her NOT to be important.
and they are??

all index provides for the actual plot is to serve as comedy char, her purpose to introduce touma into the magical side was finshed in Vol.12/13 with ventos statement IB > Index...

the next one was to provide magical information for touma: which was barely done, he never allowed her to help, it was a good excuse, the stuff with "dont do magic stuff or you will be hunted"... but since toua is more famous than index, this reason became non-existend... it is now: "we search for Index -> search for the more famous and easier to find IB"

the next one was to help him in magical fights: at least this could have been a good reason if it ever happened...

the next one was to play the damsel in distress: a role which was last used in OT, now for more than 10 volumes she is meh! only exists, and even in the f*cking should-be serious fighting scene we get her as comedy char
Quote:
I mean, even if you ignore her eidetic memory, Index is the only character that we don't think is a Magic God who can store many or even any grimoires without negative brain repercussions.
the church used many many defensive spells for her mind, levinia said it herself in the kanhzaki SS,
the ONLY unique thing she has is that she has a memory that never forgets stuff, without the barriers she would turn into "crippled-accel 2.0" -> "a drooling mess on the ground"
Quote:
I'm expecting the why or the how of how that is true will matter later on.
with othinus who plays the new "information-database" i think that she will be forgotten even more than she is until now

@KT
Quote:
true we don't know why index isn't dead from forced reading of 103,000 grimoires,
because of the uncountable amount of defensive spells in her mind

Quote:
she almost has no role ever since OT ended...
this...

Quote:
she's pretty overrated
this
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 17:42   Link #1984
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

heh let kamijou smash them barriers, then index will be no more, just like he could have erased Kazekiri's existence.
Old 2015-01-28, 17:57   Link #1985
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
the church used many many defensive spells for her mind, levinia said it herself in the kanhzaki SS,
the ONLY unique thing she has is that she has a memory that never forgets stuff, without the barriers she would turn into "crippled-accel 2.0" -> "a drooling mess on the ground"
Yeah, because Birdway knows what Laura does we should believe her at all, right?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamijou_Touma
she's pretty overrated
this
*facepalms*
You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means

Quote:

I mean, even if you ignore her eidetic memory, Index is the only character that we don't think is a Magic God who can store many or even any grimoires without negative brain repercussions. I'm expecting the why or the how of how that is true will matter later on.
You should know at this point that discussing with those two leads to nowhere.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 18:10   Link #1986
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

ok then, name one major role index has played in since NT started, then i'll take back what I said, her NT SS doesn't count.
Old 2015-01-28, 18:17   Link #1987
Miraluka
Banned

Again, search for the word you just used. I guess your english isn't your native language, isn't?
Old 2015-01-28, 18:58   Link #1988
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamijou_Touma View Post
finally something she can do that is actually useful to Touma besides adding misfortune to his already unfortunate self.
As much as I agree with you, she has been useful once or twice in NT (Not going to count the SS because that wasn't even that important to the plot just to her character), but at the same time she has mostly been reduced to a background and/or secondary character in NT, they only way I see her becoming important again is whenever thwy go back to england and then it's only because they must be trying to target the last controling device that Laura has with added background story for both Index and Laura, thereby finishing her arc which for the most part is almost done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
There's also the whole "girl at the centre of his heart" thing going on with her. But by all means, ignore that as well.
While there is no denying that she is important to Touma in that she keeps him grounded, it's not as serious as you are making it out to be (as far as I know those words have never been said).

To Touma everyone he has met is important to keep him grounded in some way of form, the only difference is Index was the first person he met after losing his memories, if anything everyone of his friends is of equal importance to him, only difference is when they (for those who already knew him: once again) entered his life.
Old 2015-01-28, 19:02   Link #1989
Miraluka
Banned

^
See vol.2 and 22 for references.

Quote:
the only difference is Index was the first person he met after losing his memories
Imprinting is something really serious( for Touma she is the person who will be waiting for him at home).
Old 2015-01-28, 20:52   Link #1990
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
^
See vol.2 and 22 for references.

Imprinting is something really serious( for Touma she is the person who will be waiting for him at home).
You guys are being super funny about this imprinting business. If Touma were REALLY imprinted by someone it would be gekota-sensei who met him first after he woke up. After all, he had already discussed a plan with Heaven Canceller of how to treat Index when she first met him.

After all, Heaven Canceller obviously talked to him first because he somehow knew that Touma had lost his memories.

Also, yeah you're right. It's pointless debating those two about this...

I don't think mere defensive spells could handle everything and I would think that they'd mess with how her perfect memory works TBH.

I moreover find it especially odd that the only character in Index with a perfect memory ISN'T from the science side and is from the magic side. That intrigues me.

Imagine if the Kiharas tried to study how her brain works... imagine the repercussions...

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 21:41   Link #1991
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

Spoiler for Definition of overrated:

no my english isn't esl, so i don't need your link when they have the definition online. :P but thank you for the offer.
Old 2015-01-28, 22:15   Link #1992
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
You guys are being super funny about this imprinting business. If Touma were REALLY imprinted by someone it would be gekota-sensei who met him first after he woke up. After all, he had already discussed a plan with Heaven Canceller of how to treat Index when she first met him.

After all, Heaven Canceller obviously talked to him first because he somehow knew that Touma had lost his memories.

Also, yeah you're right. It's pointless debating those two about this...

I don't think mere defensive spells could handle everything and I would think that they'd mess with how her perfect memory works TBH.

I moreover find it especially odd that the only character in Index with a perfect memory ISN'T from the science side and is from the magic side. That intrigues me.

Imagine if the Kiharas tried to study how her brain works... imagine the repercussions...
Eh.. what?
Imprinting in humans doesn't works the same as animals, you know right? That's why I used vol.2 as reference.

Quote:
Spoiler for Definition of overrated:

no my english isn't esl, so i don't need your link when they have the definition online. :P but thank you for the offer.
Then you should know already she is the opposite, underrated.
Old 2015-01-28, 22:26   Link #1993
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

explain, I think she's not, since everyone gives her more credit than she actually deserves. I haven't seen her in a serious role since OT. in NT she's only played minor support roles.

i mean did she even do anything in the Hawaii Arc besides tagging along with Touma and Mikoto...
I didn't see her in Baggage City.
Old 2015-01-28, 22:27   Link #1994
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

overrated would imply many people think highly of her
if anyone's been in the Index fandom for a decent amount of time, they should know it's the complete opposite
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 22:35   Link #1995
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenju of the Right View Post
if anyone's been in the Index fandom for a decent amount of time, they should know it's the complete opposite
This. That's why I said KT is using the word wrong .
Old 2015-01-28, 22:37   Link #1996
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenju of the Right View Post
Quote:
This. That's why I said KT is using the word wrong .
I think underused is the term, along with being slighted as nothing but for comedy gags.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 22:44   Link #1997
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Guys... I feel like I'm partially to blame for merely stating the obvious but this has gone on for over 20 posts now

Old 2015-01-29, 01:10   Link #1998
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

sorta off topic i would agree.
Old 2015-01-29, 04:03   Link #1999
LevelSeven

Quote:
Yeah, because Birdway knows what Laura does we should believe her at all, right?
and what let us doubt her explanation??

was there ever a hint that Index would survive grimoires without defensive spells?
yes, they said she can become a majin, and to become a majhin you need the knwledge, the preparations for the ritual and a special constitution which allows you to become a perfect majin...
Index seems to have all that, but this is it, of cours it is special, but nothing more...
Quote:
You should know at this point that discussing with those two leads to nowhere.
lets still do it, if not we wouldnt be able to talk and I need to distract mysefl until the spoilers show up so that i can start to hate it and make many useless nitpickings

@kenju
Quote:
i agree in some odd way...
but she is overrated if we look at the expactations that fans have about her... even I still think she will become relevant for something related to the majins... but since i saw NT8-10 where index had nothing to do with othinus's defeat i doubt my idas

@KT
Quote:
explain, I think she's not, since everyone gives her more credit than she actually deserves. I haven't seen her in a serious role since OT. in NT she's only played minor support roles.
this...

@dniv
Quote:
why?
defensive spells already showed the powr to allow kanzaki to stay alive in outer space, and let a 10 years old girl girl survive her spell which turns her blood into "seawater"... as many attack spells exist i would say that that many defensive spells exist too (only logical, if someone creates a unstoppable spear, someone else crates a unmoveable shield)
if you are referring to Pendex analyzing the barriers and destroying them: this would only possible if she can actually analyze them + the barriers belong to the pogram that lets Pendex exist in the first place... would be strange if a pogram (magical or not) destroys itself :/

PS: why shhould a defense spell mess with her brain?

Quote:
BIB: accel has it too, only not displayed but his massive intellect is incredible, he saw a bunch of codes, many many codes and he remembered very single one of them... maybe his is a lesser degree than that of index but it is still there

SECOND BIB: why not? who says a "perfect memory" belongs to the science side?

Quote:
if someone looks at the brain they will only see which parts of her brain are more "working" than others, this is how they can find the places for each of our 5 senses, they could look into he memory-section but only see that her brain has more information than other ones (more "cables" in that certain place of the brain), i dont think that anything "supernatural" happens with her physical brain exspecially since she can create spells simply with her mind alone

@OH&S
Quote:
Guys... I feel like I'm partially to blame for merely stating the obvious but this has gone on for over 20 posts now
B-But we arnt that off-topic, we are talking about index, in the index manga thread, we dont have a index char discussion for the LN... so we are stuck with this... the char discussion is only limited to her anime screentime which doesnt provide one page of useful discussions
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-29, 04:22   Link #2000
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Some things just does not require a full debate to address. Also, technically you shouldn't talk about LN stuff from the future that isn't in the manga without spoilers.

Anyway just to answer this:

Quote:
true we don't know why index isn't dead from forced reading of 103,000 grimoires,
Her magic is sealed off so she can't produce mana, with no mana to feed off from the Grimoires don't spread. It also helps that having the knowledge of the Grimoires is not the same as carrying the actual physical copies. Her "Terminator" mode is part of the magic seal used to control her, that's why it could use magic.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shounen