AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-05-02, 13:58   Link #1981
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
From the Baka-Tsuki page for Volume 7, chapter 6, about halfway down:
Alright, you're right.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 16:47   Link #1982
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
By the way, my entire theory up to now is revolving around the fact that there had been a murder attempt on the supposed creator of time travel. This isn't done randomly; it was to serve a goal. Assuming the goal remained, then Haruhi's disclosure to the local area of her time travel theory in the publication would mean the original assassins HAVE to now target Haruhi or abandon their mission. Naturally Haruhi would be hard to kill, but that's what the anti-SOS-dan teamup is for...
Hard to kill, if not impossible.

Not even the espers know if she CAN be killed. I doubt it, personally.

Besides, as has been said before, what purpose would killing Haruhi serve? The information is already in the hands of Bespectacled Boy. You'd have to kill him AND Haruhi, in order to prevent time travel from occurring.

And even then, who's to say it wouldn't be invented by someone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Omnipotence does not imply omniscience. Haruhi can rewrite the world, but even if she was aware that she was doing it, she couldn't grasp the details of exactly what was changing and how any more than when you move your arm you are aware of what each cell and molecule is doing inside of it. She would know what results she got, but it would take Yuki-level data awareness to describe it as more than "I wanted it to happen, so it happened". Note her creation of the time travel equation without realizing what it meant beyond a possible vague awareness that it would make time travel possible.
She doesn't need to be omniscient to use her power, otherwise, she'd be effectively powerless.

Her powers take care of all the little details like data manipulation for her.

All she has to do is think "I want everyone who could ever be a threat to me to die" and they'll all die. She's that ridiculously powerful. That is what it means to be GOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
You know, this might be the exact reason why Book 10 isn't out yet. How do you work all that out?
If I recall correctly, Book 10 was supposed to come out two months after Book 9.

There's no way Tanigawa could write even a light novel in only two months.

Ergo, the book was delayed for reasons other than writer's block. A possible reason is that he wasn't satisfied with it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagaru Tanigawa
You're probably wondering where I'm going with this. I don't really know myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Alright, you're right.
Though that doesn't mean it was the time travelers behind it. The van in Vol. 7 appeared to have only been driven by the espers, since Fujiwara was the only one who escaped, due to time travel granting him effective teleportation.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 17:04   Link #1983
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

I saw a sudden surge in activity and I thought the release date for Volume 10 had been announced or something.

I hate you guys . . .
Old 2009-05-02, 17:05   Link #1984
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
By the way, my entire theory up to now is revolving around the fact that there had been a murder attempt on the supposed creator of time travel. This isn't done randomly; it was to serve a goal. Assuming the goal remained, then Haruhi's disclosure to the local area of her time travel theory in the publication would mean the original assassins HAVE to now target Haruhi or abandon their mission. Naturally Haruhi would be hard to kill, but that's what the anti-SOS-dan teamup is for...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos
Besides, as has been said before, what purpose would killing Haruhi serve? The information is already in the hands of Bespectacled Boy. You'd have to kill him AND Haruhi, in order to prevent time travel from occurring.

And even then, who's to say it wouldn't be invented by someone else
I agree with Kaisos here... Though we know that Haruhi made the formula for time travel, time travel was/is/will be attributed to that glasses kid, the "Bespectacled Boy"? Wouldn't it be necessary to kill the person who implemented the formula to create the device needed for time travel rather than the creator of a published formula? This is, however, under the assumption that the glasses kid had already seen the formula...

Though here is something I don't understand. Why do they even needed to kill Haruhi? I mean does she actually believe it is the true formula for time travel? If Haruhi's rationality says, "This cannot be true," while her beliefs say, "It is true! It is!" then, because her rationality would prevail, to her, the formula is not though it is applicable in real life. This is similar to the case where Haruhi does not notice the aliens, time travelers and espers around her.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?

Last edited by dragon4dudes; 2009-05-02 at 17:15.
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 18:03   Link #1985
Zantetsuken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy Hared Azn View Post
I saw a sudden surge in activity and I thought the release date for Volume 10 had been announced or something.

I hate you guys . . .
Same here.

Are there not even a new rumor about vol 10?
Old 2009-05-02, 18:56   Link #1986
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sasaki might have a different problem. God-like powers or no, it may take time to get use to using them. While Haruhi uses them unknowingly, it may be a difficult matter to try to use them directly. Sasaki's mind may not be suited to handle something on the order of "change this, the pieces will fall into place, don't bother me with the details" sort of changes Haruhi does. If she is thinking about the changes they might not work correctly since she might not have that "heaven may care" style and instead try to do the "hands on" approach that requires one to fill in every last detail.

Also if she can't control it at first, her group might be able to take it from her, or control her rather than her being the god of the universe, she is the pawn of the universe...the tool of the new gods, where as the SOS-dan is more the followers that clean up gods messes or keep god pleased so that she doesn't do something rash, type.
Old 2009-05-02, 19:04   Link #1987
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/fea...uhi/prose.html

Non-finalized version of Sigh's paperback cover is out, as well as their description
Baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 19:11   Link #1988
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

I hope they do a hardcover release again. I really would rather have pretty Noizi Ito art than pukey orange whatsit all over a paperback.
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 21:12   Link #1989
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Sasaki might have a different problem. God-like powers or no, it may take time to get use to using them. While Haruhi uses them unknowingly, it may be a difficult matter to try to use them directly. Sasaki's mind may not be suited to handle something on the order of "change this, the pieces will fall into place, don't bother me with the details" sort of changes Haruhi does. If she is thinking about the changes they might not work correctly since she might not have that "heaven may care" style and instead try to do the "hands on" approach that requires one to fill in every last detail.
I have a theory that one of the reasons Haruhi is the way she is, is because of the Harupowers. But that's really neither here nor there.

Sasaki might change when she gets them, either as a side effect, or just the usual WAHAHAHA THE POWER OH GOD THE POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post
I hope they do a hardcover release again. I really would rather have pretty Noizi Ito art than pukey orange whatsit all over a paperback.
I actually like the paperback covers. At least this way I can buy them and read them in public without people staring.
Old 2009-05-02, 22:46   Link #1990
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Sasaki might change when she gets them, either as a side effect, or just the usual WAHAHAHA THE POWER OH GOD THE POWER
In other words, A God Am I.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 01:57   Link #1991
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
In other words, A God Am I.
I prefer WAHAHAHA THE POWER OH GOD THE POWER, but yeah.
Old 2009-05-03, 02:27   Link #1992
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
I prefer WAHAHAHA THE POWER OH GOD THE POWER, but yeah.
What if it were all in caps, with some laughing and some superfluous punctuation, like this:

MWA HA HA HA HA...A GOD AM I!!!!!!

Better?

Although it probably is a good idea to avoid clicking the link. TVTropes.org has an average timetheft rating of 7.5 WpU (Wikipedia Units). Not a good idea to visit if you have anything else you need to do in the next day or two.

As for the Sigh info, once again I click over expecting The xxxx of Haruhi Suzumiya only to find The Fail of Haruhi Softcover... There best be a hardcover, or they will rue the day. Rue it, I tell you...!

**shakes fist**
Old 2009-05-03, 02:34   Link #1993
M.Marangio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post
There are two ISBN floating around. The official site has only the paperback version (ISBN 9780316038799 / ISBN 0316038792), amazon.com and other book shops also the hardcover version (ISBN 9780316038812 / ISBN 0316038814).
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 03:10   Link #1994
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
What if it were all in caps, with some laughing and some superfluous punctuation, like this:

MWA HA HA HA HA...A GOD AM I!!!!!!

Better?
Eh, I still prefer WAHAHAHA THE POWER OH GOD THE POWER.

Never liked that trope name anyway. Never got the reference.

Quote:
Although it probably is a good idea to avoid clicking the link. TVTropes.org has an average timetheft rating of 7.5 WpU (Wikipedia Units). Not a good idea to visit if you have anything else you need to do in the next day or two.
This is why I take the time to memorize the definitions of popular tropes, so I never have to click on them again! I am free!

WAHAHAHA THE POWER OH GOD THE POWER

Quote:
As for the Sigh info, once again I click over expecting The xxxx of Haruhi Suzumiya only to find The Fail of Haruhi Softcover... There best be a hardcover, or they will rue the day. Rue it, I tell you...!

**shakes fist**
There will be a hardcover, I'm sure.

And I really do like the softcovers. They're at least trying to be creative.

On a side note, I really really love how the descriptions are making Haruhi out to be the main character. I know they're not doing it intentionally, but it's like they're extending what the novel titles are trying to do. If anyone gets what I mean.

It's like. In most anime with lots of pretty girls, the focus is inevitably on said girls. But in Haruhi... the focus is entirely on Kyon. It's great.

Also, can anyone get me a nice-sized pic of the first novel's softcover, er, cover? I wanna make an avatar out of the thundercloud logo.
Old 2009-05-03, 03:59   Link #1995
ijuinkun

Quote:

How much is one WpU?
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 07:42   Link #1996
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
How much is one WpU?
The amount of time on trip to wiki consumes, I believe. And it's true; tvtropes is very addicting.

On the eng cover for Sigh, I don't think it's bad (afterall, the cover for Eng Melancholy IRL is a blood red, not bright red), but I'm still going to shell out 4 extra dollers for my HC edition.

Also, how are the sales for Melancholy in US/Can/anywhereelsetheenglishversionwasreleased?
Old 2009-05-03, 08:04   Link #1997
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
How much is one WpU?
Average amount of time stolen with the average Wikipedia entry. With all the stubs and disambiguation pages, it comes to about five minutes, and/or one "interesting link" within the page. As the WpU in the rating goes up, the time stolen starts growing exponentially, mostly due to the "interesting links" pointing to pages which also have high timetheft ratings.

It's an exponential, or at least logarithmic scale, much like the decibel scale, or the Warp scale in Star Trek. 7.5 is a lot more than 7.5 times as much as 1.
Old 2009-05-03, 08:30   Link #1998
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Also, can anyone get me a nice-sized pic of the first novel's softcover, er, cover? I wanna make an avatar out of the thundercloud logo.

Biggest picture I could find on Google Image Search. Not exactly scouring the internets, but oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solachinx View Post
And it's true; tvtropes is very addicting.
Quoted for truth. Damn TV Tropes, popping up in search engines when I'm trying to study for exams...

Last edited by wittyusername; 2009-05-03 at 08:57. Reason: I am the greatest speller in all the land, lalalala~
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 08:46   Link #1999
M.Marangio

Quote:
Already posted some links 17 pages ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Marangio View Post
Btw., the US page has some highres pictures of the covers: HC, SC, manga v. 2.
There are some JPEG artifacts, but the resolution is pretty high.
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 09:02   Link #2000
typhonsentra

I'll... read the Brown adaptation.... someday.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga