AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2015-07-04, 11:48   Link #2001
endarion88

ok i finally read all of the pages of this thread and i would like some confirmation

novel ended at vol5-vol 10 for the "light" version
Spoiler for spoiler:

gaiden currently 4 volumes cover the story of 4 years since the end of vol 5 to the yet to be sequel series

now i would like to ask a question
Spoiler for question:
Old 2015-07-04, 12:15   Link #2002
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Originally Posted by endarion88 View Post
so anything concrete happened yet?
sex? no. advance in relationship and understanding? yes.
Old 2015-07-04, 12:42   Link #2003
endarion88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
sex? no. advance in relationship and understanding? yes.
can you be a bit more specific please ?

Last edited by endarion88; 2015-07-04 at 15:47.
endarion88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 13:07   Link #2004
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
while JSDF used mostly old weapons inside the Gate, two weapons are specifically new/current by the author for a reason, Panzerfaust 3 (instead of Howa 84RR) with a penetration of 700mm RHA is used because of the story requirement of how buff the flame dragon was, and Sumitomo M249 (copy of Minimi) instead of Sumitomo Type 62 machine gun because Type 62 sucks big time and not trust worthy.
The older JASDF anti-air missile is the HAWK and they would have to modify it to be anti-dragon.

On the good side: each missile weighs 3/4 of a ton and they get to about Mach 3.

On the bad side: They are designed to explode and send about 10,000 pieces of shrapnel into the path of oncoming aircraft, which works wonders on high performance jest but would only be a heavy sanding to a big Dragon (although it may blind one).

Altering the warhead to be a contact or penetrator probably wouldn't work, as the HAWK are microwave guided from the ground. The Dragons would be far too maneuverable to reliably track and hit.

Modern Stingers could track the Dragons, they are fairly agile, and they are designed to strike their targets, but their warheads would probably not be enough for a penetration. Now if you gave it a new warhead, say a shaped charge, or something akin to the M-21 anti tank mine's self-forging copper plate, that might work, if you can make it light enough to be carried by the missile and still have enough boom to hurt the Dragon. Tracking won't be a problem.
Old 2015-07-04, 18:17   Link #2005
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
can you be a bit more specific please ?
basically beside Yao each gaiden focus on one of the harem, gaiden 1 Pina, 2 Rory, 3 Tuka, 4 Lelei, example would be

Spoiler for harem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
The older JASDF anti-air missile is the HAWK and they would have to modify it to be anti-dragon.
Hawk is not mobile and takes too long to “warm up”, not to mention the special territory JSDF did not have any on hand,

in this discussion you have to remember the ground rules the author set up, they can only use what they have on hand, which of course is also controlled by the author, many different weapons can defeat the flame dragon, the point is they do not know the spec of the flame dragon before entering the Gate, otherwise they would bring different weapons, thus setting up the heroic of Itami in the story. if it is me I would “borrow” a fully loaded A-10 from USAF and be done with it, but then that would not be exciting story telling wouldn't it?

btw the rumor has it the TV series will go 2 season 24 episodes, this means they will probably finish the flame dragon arc.
Old 2015-07-04, 18:26   Link #2006
endarion88

@hata thanks for the answers i know it may be tedius

last thing please
Spoiler for question:
Old 2015-07-04, 22:12   Link #2007
S3wvc

Is it just me or the animation studio being lazy, theres only 1 row of the army and the scale of attack is very toned down, not to mention lack of gore and tid bits
Its already a midnight anime wheres the glory that is seen in the manga
S3wvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 08:10   Link #2008
Amuris

isn't this enough? Bullets don't rip people in half and showing random people getting their heads bashed in generally doesn't do that much to increase tension in a scene.
Amuris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 09:18   Link #2009
Starlightz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuris View Post
isn't this enough? Bullets don't rip people in half and showing random people getting their heads bashed in generally doesn't do that much to increase tension in a scene.
I'm not military / gun expert, but I believe .50 cal or stronger guns can rip people in half in one shot. Even some weaker ones can do that if enough bullets hit.

But yeah, it's an anime, even if a late night one. Don't expect the gore-fest in the manga at least in the TV broadcast version.
Starlightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 10:01   Link #2010
FIBC

a question. the manga is an adaptation of the first novel prints(5 novels) and the anime is an adaptation of the light novel version (10 novels), right?
FIBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 10:11   Link #2011
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIBC View Post
a question. the manga is an adaptation of the first novel prints(5 novels) and the anime is an adaptation of the light novel version (10 novels), right?
I really do not think there are any difference between the printed novels and what people call light novel. The big change was between the web novel and the one printed afterwards.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 10:24   Link #2012
RDNexus

Courtesy of B-T:
Quote:
Compared to the online serialization, the published volumes place a lesser weight on political commentary. Also, volume three has been substantially rewritten. The ending was also different. There are slight differences between the light novel and the previously published novel.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 10:40   Link #2013
Amuris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlightz View Post
I'm not military / gun expert, but I believe .50 cal or stronger guns can rip people in half in one shot.
That's a common gun myth, I believe. The ones about .50 cal are hard to deal with. Mostly because even the army guys will argue back and forth or exaggerate. Many of them still believe that it will rip off limbs or injury you from the shockwave of a miss.

well, I'm not an expert either so who am I to say. All I can really say is I'm on the side saying it's a myth.

Last edited by Amuris; 2015-07-05 at 10:51.
Amuris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 10:49   Link #2014
smbjoshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlightz View Post
I'm not military / gun expert, but I believe .50 cal or stronger guns can rip people in half in one shot. Even some weaker ones can do that if enough bullets hit.

But yeah, it's an anime, even if a late night one. Don't expect the gore-fest in the manga at least in the TV broadcast version.
A half dozen rounds from a .50 cal machine gun will turn a human body into swis cheese easily. A friend of mine showed me a video of terrorists executing an FSA soldier, they had a .50 cal mounted on a truck with the end of the barrel pointed point blank at this poor guy's head. Single round = head completely gone.
smbjoshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 10:51   Link #2015
Botan_TM

It looks like the biggest difference between print editions were different illustrators, and so different style of illustrations.
Botan_TM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 19:05   Link #2016
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Spoiler for question:
Spoiler for gaiden:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIBC View Post
Novel
1. free (web) version
only cover the first 5 original novels, complete story, tragedy ending, can no longer be found on official website.

2. hardbound (novel) version
ending is significant rewritten, now including the 4 gaiden and possible future part II.

3. bunko (light novel paperback) version
beyond correct grammar/word mistakes, and new illustrator for cover and additional insert arts, no difference compare to hardbound except cheaper print/price and split each hardbound into two books,

manga is an adaptation of the final novel story, period, with some additions and military details, easter eggs, etc. not found in original story and less political oriented. but it is true when the manga started the bunko has not come on line, yet.

anime adaptation is using the same final pay novel version story, but to be more specific, anime is using the bunko character design set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Courtesy of B-T: volume three has been substantially rewritten.
Spoiler for book 3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botan_TM View Post
It looks like the biggest difference between print editions were different illustrators, and so different style of illustrations.
the hardbound cover illustrator is known for his fantasy game setting painting, (his dragon drawing on pixiv is awesome.) the bunko guy is known for a softer style but still his main focus is on gun, sword, and girl, the manga guy is the famous hard core military otaku that is leaning toward drawing furry girl with big breast.

==========
btw, I just reread ch47, there are bonus and foreshadow everywhere, and not just the new additional story not in the original novel, right off page 5 you see the tails of two JASDF C-1 transport planes, they were shown on the first chapter of the manga-novel book 3 arc for a reason and not just some random equipments on a military base.

Last edited by Hata; 2015-07-05 at 20:41.
Hata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 19:41   Link #2017
FIBC

Thanks for the answer
FIBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 01:33   Link #2018
luffyxnami

After checking out the jp wiki, I have a question about the second prince. How the heck is he not kill or punish for the stuff he pull with china? He even became "governor" of that place?
luffyxnami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 04:59   Link #2019
IAmAsianNoob

How old was Sherry

Last edited by IAmAsianNoob; 2015-07-07 at 09:04.
IAmAsianNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 11:29   Link #2020
bakato

Hey where is Sugawara with the little girl?
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, harem, military science fiction