AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-14, 06:55   Link #2021
Vito
Asshole.

Yeah, not going to argue, too lazy.

Anyhow back to Yamato 2199, seems like this is the ED http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm20608058 ?
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 07:03   Link #2022
macdawson

Beautiful illustration by Kia Asamiya. Thanks for the post, Vito.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 11:58   Link #2023
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That version is down. However someone put it on Youtube:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

A large image of that scroll (from bottom to top, which is uncommon).

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
http://shrani.si/f/2k/jZ/3Rr9U4ju/1120130414181611.jpg
Old 2013-04-14, 12:20   Link #2024
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Very beautiful ED...kinda reminds me of something you'd see in LOGH.
Old 2013-04-14, 13:44   Link #2025
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
That............actually sounds kinda "bleh" to me.
Old 2013-04-14, 14:12   Link #2026
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well if one waits another set of months, you'll have a JAM Project ED.
Old 2013-04-14, 14:24   Link #2027
macdawson

Just a theory but i do believe this illustration will be replaced in episode 7. The characters and events pictured go only 'till episode 6 (7 at the most).
Old 2013-04-14, 14:40   Link #2028
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hopefully it will change. Otherwise it will look weird having characters in it that aren't in the series anymore. Also the planets in the scroll are Earth, Mars, Jupiter, and Pluto, with the final of Yamato heading out of the Galaxy.
Old 2013-04-14, 16:33   Link #2029
denshousha

Do you think there are too many characters in 2199 for new fans? For those of us that grew up on the old show it's probably not a problem as there are only a few new faces, but I wonder if it's too much for someone who's just started.
denshousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 16:42   Link #2030
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by denshousha View Post
Do you think there are too many characters in 2199 for new fans? For those of us that grew up on the old show it's probably not a problem as there are only a few new faces, but I wonder if it's too much for someone who's just started.
I think there are far too many characters in each and every GUNDAM show, far more than YAMATO: 2199, and that didn't stop the series (pick any of them) from becoming popular, overall, in North America. So it shouldn't effect YAMATO: 2199.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
Yeah, not going to argue, too lazy.
There's no argument; HybridBloodsZak is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
Sadly there are lot of people that will not watch a show just because it's SF/Space OP.
Then, it's not their cup of tea in the first place, and I don't watch Shojo Anime, either; so that point is moot. Incidentally, this past Friday, i09 just published Rob Bricken's "The New Anime Series You Absolutely Need to Be Watching", which spotlights five current series, including YAMATO: 2199.

Last edited by August138; 2013-04-14 at 16:54.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 17:59   Link #2031
Vito
Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
There's no argument; HybridBloodsZak is correct.
Really? While there's a vast amount of resources on the topic, it's never really that simple, and there's no shortage of self proclaimed internet experts, oh boy his posts sure reeks like one!

If that's flaming, fine, but I'd like to see some well constructed arguments. I'm not disputing the fact, that FLCL and Gundam Wing were a success in the west, however the whole "US distributors license shows based on Japanese sales numbers" seems laughable at best. Based on Japanese sales figures for FLCL provided by ultimatemegax, FLCL OVAs averaged 24k per volume when first released.

So unless people can convince me with numbers, some actual statements from industry representatives, I'm gonna say bullshit and wishful thinking.
Old 2013-04-14, 19:56   Link #2032
August138

Quote:
Really? While there's a vast amount of resources on the topic, it's never really that simple, and there's no shortage of self proclaimed internet experts, oh boy his posts sure reeks like one!

If that's flaming, fine, but I'd like to see some well constructed arguments. I'm not disputing the fact, that FLCL and Gundam Wing were a success in the west, however the whole "US distributors license shows based on Japanese sales numbers" seems laughable at best. Based on Japanese sales figures for FLCL provided by ultimatemegax, FLCL OVAs averaged 24k per volume when first released.

So unless people can convince me with numbers, some actual statements from industry representatives, I'm gonna say bullshit and wishful thinking.
First off, I would tone down the vitriol and cursing. Thanks. Personally, I'm speaking only about the popularity of particular anime titles in the US, such as mentioned, and not about how those titles are chosen — and I might know a little something about this component, since I do work in the Home Video Industry in the US, and specifically with Japanese titles. And I have other legitimate professional credentials concerning Japanese film, television, and pop culture — above and beyond the internet (and long before the www, as we know it, existed).

Now, as far as I'm concerned, most Home Video labels releasing Anime in North America over the last decade (previous decades had different rules, it seems, due to information flow between Japan and US fans, and other extenuating circumstances), and others were Japanese companies releasing what they thought American fans would like. So, there's no simple answer.

But still, most of the US-native companies seem to have followed:

A. Titles that had a "buzz" in the US.
B. Titles that were popular in Japan.

(And I'm not arguing with you; I'm just stating the facts as I am aware.)

With all that being said, a old comrade of mine, Robert Napton, worked for Bandai's Home Video division in the US for many years (and before that, he was at USRenditions, who brought GUNBUSTER to the US), perhaps I can ask him for his thoughts?
Old 2013-04-15, 06:45   Link #2033
macdawson

Below are the episode descriptions for chapter V. These were gathered from 2 sources, a fellow member at another forum which saw the movie and was kind enough to share the major plot points, and from this page, which has episode descriptions in japanese which means my translation might not be 100% accurate.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/sergeant/touch/20130414/p1

Read at your own peril.

Spoiler for Episode 15:

Spoiler for Episode 16:

Spoiler for Episode 17:

Spoiler for Episode 18:

Update: Episode 18 completed.

Last edited by macdawson; 2013-04-15 at 18:02.
Old 2013-04-15, 07:53   Link #2034
Vito
Asshole.

Quote:
With all that being said, a old comrade of mine, Robert Napton, worked for Bandai's Home Video division in the US for many years (and before that, he was at USRenditions, who brought GUNBUSTER to the US), perhaps I can ask him for his thoughts?
HybridBloodsZak already linked to an interview he did a short while ago http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2013-02-27 it's really informative.

Oh I agree there's no simple answer, I just disagree with making statements like FLCL and Gundam Wing were not popular in Japan at all. I assume it's also different compared to a few years ago, with simulcasts and how anime shelfspace pretty much disappeared in stores.

macdawson, thanks for the summaries!
Old 2013-04-15, 12:39   Link #2035
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Nice summaries to this point. Though I have one plot disconnect at this point.

Spoiler for Why?:
Old 2013-04-15, 13:57   Link #2036
FerrusManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Nice summaries to this point. Though I have one plot disconnect at this point.

Spoiler for Why?:
Spoiler for Reason:
FerrusManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 14:59   Link #2037
August138

Quote:
HybridBloodsZak already linked to an interview he did a short while ago http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2013-02-27 it's really informative.
Yes, and Robert even gave me a shout out!

BTW, as of 2:30 PM, Monday, April 15th (Japan Time), all of the Theater Exclusive Blu-rays of Vol. 5 were sold out at Tokyo's Shinjuku Piccadilly Theater.

Old 2013-04-15, 16:30   Link #2038
macdawson

Quote:
Yes, and Robert even gave me a shout out!

BTW, as of 2:30 PM, Monday, April 15th (Japan Time), all of the Theater Exclusive Blu-rays of Vol. 5 were sold out at Tokyo's Shinjuku Piccadilly Theater.

I really need to make some friends in Japan.
Old 2013-04-15, 21:13   Link #2039
August138

Yes, you do.

BTW, as of this morning, only five BDs are available at the Kashiwanoha Movix in Kashiwa City, Chiba Prefecture. None of the other venues seem to be sold out, yet.
Old 2013-04-15, 21:41   Link #2040
Traece
:cool:

I started watching this, which is interesting.

Why it's interesting is the fact that I've never actually watched Space Battleship Yamato before. I've seen Mobile Suit Gundam, and I've seen Macross, but yet Yamato has eluded me in terms of classic sci-fis. So this was a bit of a treat.

I wont pretend to know how faithful this is to the original or any such thing, but I will say this: I really like this show. A lot. Interestingly enough, it feels so very oldschool in how it functions even with all of the great modernizations they have. So much of this is just so well done. The music especially is fantastic, and one of my favorite things about this series.

So I'm loving this series, and I'm really excited to follow it through to the finish.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato