AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-25, 02:13   Link #20581
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Somebody asked about Fox?

Here's Fox:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...ostcount=19957
Old 2008-02-25, 02:23   Link #20582
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

@USB500: Couple of things i want to quickly comment; at work so cannot devote much time to busting.

1) Wow, she's hot. Mai's mother, is it?

2) AFAIK, GSG-9 has never had female operators. f you want Frieda to be spec ops, the only unit I can think of would be the British 14 Intelligence Company (now absorbed into the Special Reconnaisance Regiment or a SWAT unit (Pt. Mugu MP SWAT has female operators - discovered most lol-y by a buck-naked Dennis Chalker - "Ok Imma go put on a towel nao" - as do Korea National Police (I've seen photos of a female Korean SWAT sniper with the MSG-90).

(Background: Red Cell's final op under Richard Marcinko was an attack on NAS Pt. Mugu. Chalker called in the "terrorist threat" and was to be the bait - if he weren't playing the role bad guy terrorist, he was the team's sacrificial bait - and took a shower. Heard Pt. Mugu SWAT make their entry, calmly walked out... and the realised/remembered that Pt. Mugu's SWAT had female operators. Who got an eyful of SEAL florida. Chalker later retired as Command Master Chief of NAVSPECWARCOM.)

3) BNelkan gunslinger? Hmm. Will read later and fully comment.

4) Strange progression from spec ops to Belkan Gunslinger Knight to scientist. More background would be quite welcome. But on first impressions, looks alright - will give more indepth look later.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2008-02-25 at 03:32.
Old 2008-02-25, 02:48   Link #20583
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Fits desu ne...

*runs along*
Don't forget the antidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha
This is not an instance! You guys are gonna need one more to summon!
Oh? Who volunteers to help us call out the Great Princess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USB500 View Post

So that I can become Mai's sacrificial lamb as often as she needs?
Yes, as often as she wants actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by USB500
You better not do-

*USB500 sees Excellen summons her clones and attack Lowe*

Too late.
Clones?

*runs from Excellen*

Quote:
I shall do so.

That reminds me: which ARIA should I watch first?
Ah, the first of the series is ARIA the Animation, which is 13 episodes, then followed by the 26 episode Aria the Natural, then the single episode OVA Aria the Arietta. Finally, you can catch up to ARIA the Origination, whose 8th episode airs tonight

Quote:
Indeed.

Ah, fret not. Silberkugel will be rebuilt with more combat features and exceptionally too-hot-to-handle humanoid mode

*dodges sniper bullet*
Ah yes, haven't heard much from her hasn't she? Playing with Takeru's guns perhaps?

*RUNS FASTER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post

If USB hadn't changed that aspect of her, nope. She's just a sexy mama with a young protege (Takeru), whom you can consider her "adopted" son

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2008-02-25, 03:11   Link #20584
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
@ Ark/Thread:

Just a question:

What defines rank-shifting boost anyway?

Well i have an idea of a device feature 'providing additional energy/regeneration' to the user when needed- not as instant and powerful as cartridges but can be left on for long periods and maintain a low, slow yet steady flow of energy, since that said user has a natural low mana pool but has spells (not powerful though- they are not even attack spells but support/buff spells) that require about 50-85% of the total (not current, because that varies- i meant the 'half' in one-half) mana pool to cast... I'm thinking of this feature as a 'spare fuel tank' or an battery powered electronic gadget's (PSP for instance) charging cable...

But using such a device also has limitations, esp. when two or more of said device features are active by the user at the same time- a sort of resonance overload can occur and that after operation, the user can tire or have some inability for a short while.

how would this fare?
This is not a new functionality. If you decode the original Japanese in Ep5 A's, Zafira actually notes that "The devices are strengthening [them]" (as opposed to "Their devices have been strengthened" as suggested by Triad). This intention is backed by the website. So Midchildran cartridges are used both for general strengthening just by being placed "in-line" of the power train, and one-time use, while Velkan are only for the latter.

With that strengthening, Nanoha and Fate went from badly losing to holding their own against a AAA+ or S-. Even counting that the two Wolkenritter were holding back a bit, I'll say it is fair to say that there is canon support to justify a 1/3rd-1/2th rank boost (say AAA->AAA+) from similar measures.
Old 2008-02-25, 03:12   Link #20585
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
This is not an instance! You guys are gonna need one more to summon!
*joins*

Fitting genders, too... I hope.

Spoiler:

*runs from Anita and Kha's premises*

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-02-25, 03:33   Link #20586
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
Quote:
Nope, unfortunately. Wish she had been Mai's hot mama

*runs from Mai*

Quote:
2) AFAIK, GSG-9 has never had female operators. f you want Frieda to be spec ops, the only unit I can think of would be the British 14 Intelligence Company (now absorbed into the Special Reconnaisance Regiment or a SWAT unit (Pt. Mugu MP SWAT has female operators - discovered most lol-y by a buck-naked Dennis Chalker - "Ok Imma go put on a towel nao" - as do Korea National Police (I've seen photos of a female Korean SWAT sniper with the MSG-90).

(Background: Red Cell's final op under Richard Marcinko was an attack on NAS Pt. Mugu. Chalker called in the "terrorist threat" and was to be the bait - if he weren't bad guy, he was sacrificial bait - and took a shower. Heard Pt. Mugu SWAT make their entry, calmly walked out... and the realised/remembered that Pt. Mugu's SWAT had female operators. Who got an eyful of SEAL florida. )
Thank you This is very much useful to me (since I mostly suck at this field of expertise )

============

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Yes, as often as she wants actually
I'd rather not

Quote:
Clones?

*runs from Excellen*
Yes, clones.

Quote:
Ah, the first of the series is ARIA the Animation, which is 13 episodes, then followed by the 26 episode Aria the Natural, then the single episode OVA Aria the Arietta. Finally, you can catch up to ARIA the Origination, whose 8th episode airs tonight
*takes note*

Quote:
Ah yes, haven't heard much from her hasn't she? Playing with Takeru's guns perhaps?

*RUNS FASTER*
Wish she really did that on daily basis.

*DODGES 50-CAL BULLET*

Quote:
If USB hadn't changed that aspect of her, nope. She's just a sexy mama with a young protege (Takeru), whom you can consider her "adopted" son
What he said.

hint: my tsundere OC will be related to Frieda.
Old 2008-02-25, 03:45   Link #20587
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Hmmm.... Frieda's daughter? yuriloverSister? Niece? Cousin?

Interesting.....

Also sidenote: ZOMG EXCELLEN! My current tactic in SRW OG1 is to send Excellen ahead and let her trade fire with everyone, leaving Kyosuke and the rest to finish up.... if there's anything left to finish.

*memo to self, must figure out how to increase Kyosuke's default will so that RAMPAGE GHOST can be conducted on Zengar for GREAT JUSTICE.*

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-02-25, 03:56   Link #20588
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
*joins*

Fitting genders, too... I hope.

Spoiler:

*runs from Anita and Kha's premises*

OSIRIS... now THAT's gotta hurt

Although it kinda fits

*runs*

Quote:
Nope, unfortunately. Wish she had been Mai's hot mama

*runs from Mai*
I don't think Mai would mind if Frieda adopted her... along with Gwen and the rest of the Shadow Ravens

Quote:
Wish she really did that on daily basis.

*DODGES 50-CAL BULLET*
*Bullet hits Lowe*

Damnit, lucky shot

Quote:
hint: my tsundere OC will be related to Frieda.
Yes, in what way?

Quote:

Interesting.....
B please

*RUNS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose
Also sidenote: ZOMG EXCELLEN! My current tactic in SRW OG1 is to send Excellen ahead and let her trade fire with everyone, leaving Kyosuke and the rest to finish up.... if there's anything left to finish.
Which I doubt there would be anything left.. especially with BAKABAKABAKABAKA spree

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2008-02-25, 04:05   Link #20589
Aaron008R

Just a little peek.

I see you guys have been getting along quite nicely... Here's some messages for more notable parts...

@Anita: Okay. I'll stop calling you Ojou-sama. (Though I have to apologize because the others might start doing so.)

@Lowe: ...
Okay... Julie is made of AWESOME WIN!!!
I just LOVE how seh developed! This is because, like Goose, I can relate with her as well. I may not have Asperger's, but I was a severe introvert with a possible case of emotional trauma during my younger years.

And also... Aurion's in more trouble since he can use transformation magic quite well himself...

Anyway, on the awesome job!

@Keroko:

Now that's one BLOODY AWESOME!!! shop!!!
It fits in so well! Awesome job!

And... I guess one of my targets as a sub-writer is if I can make you cry with the drama I'm planning!()

@Fuyu: I see you're finally back with the pace. Thanks for helping me out with the Thread Rule citing. And yeah... guess I'm corrupted a bit now...>.>

@Reiji: Okay. Please listen to what Lowe and PF have said. I know it's frustrating, but effort wasted is not tantamount to immortality in idea-spawning in this thread. Look at me! I'm completely trashing more than 3/4 of Aurion's entire history! That includes SEVERAL MONTHS of work in front of the keyboard with several tens of thousands words worth of work, KAPUT. It's fine to have fun. But it's NOT fine to have fun while undermining several others' under the rationale of HARD work. And that goes for understanding the entire set of rules as well.

You know what? I feel like a completely, gratituously and undeservingly spoiled OC-Thread Veteran because I let my work get that far without anyone telling me off properly; probably due to my seniority here. Let me tell you this, it's for the best and your actually very lucky now that they're actually critiquing your works because it would ultimately serve for the best, for EVERYONE. I had to go thru the painful realization that all my hard work was gratituous and grossly unrequited HAXX that got through because it's an old work not to be critiqued now (and to let a bit of ego in, it was very well-made). You think it's easier that I realized it for myself? NO. It hurts a damn hell lot to willingly throw away several months worth of work. But I'll do it anyway for the sake of fairness to everyone here. And whatnot, it also hurt when I realized that I was grandstanding like an... No. I WAS a heretical and ignorant fool telling off HAXX from others when my work was the one of the most overpowered HAXX ever concieved here that I covered up with numerous words and justifications. That's pretty much tantamount to saying that I spent a whole lot of effort into this so let me be! It doesn't and shouldn't work that way!

Of course, I'm not telling you to trash your works. Just be a bit more receptive. PLEASE. We are not doing it to spite you. We're just exercising our right to speak, anonimity notwithstanding. And of course, we have to care about how others feel about stuff because this isn't just a playground. Going along those lines, we CARE about YOUR stuff as well. This is a community that went thru hell and back to get it this far! There is no I in living here. It's WE.

Okay. That was long. But it has already been bothering me for quite a bit. This later parts isn't just for Reiji but for the entire thread as well. I got off too easy; I didn't deserve it. And I've only realized it now. That's the main reason why I'm completely revamping a a giant part of my works and completely trashing more than half of it. I was feeling left-out. And I was also starting to feel like I was beginning to not belong in the community anymore due to my golden-age vouch for HAXX-abled veterancy. I didn't want it to be like this. I wanted to be in like everyone else, not as a senior with extra rights, but as a friend who is on equal standing as everyone, even to those who just came in or those who just comment.

Just take it as a little public confession on how I've been feeling after seeing the better developments of the OC now. It may sound childish, but that's how I felt. I hope nobody minds if I spill some of my thoughts and feelings here.

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2

Last edited by Aaron008R; 2008-02-25 at 11:29.
Old 2008-02-25, 04:10   Link #20590
Liingo
Love Hina?

Gotta run soon so this'll be quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu no Sora View Post
Backlog FTL

*Saves GN Cannon for a bigger breaka*
You are truly one of us
Quote:
I'll just sit back and wait until the next "Kha no BAKAAAA!!! Breaka makes its appearence
*pulls up a chair next to Fuyu*
Quote:
*Scribbles in little notepad*

Noted
Errr, you're not planning to do anything dodgy with that info are you?

Then again, you could just be like me who would like to embark on an adventure to meet some of you guys in person
Quote:
You guys in the clubroom now? The doors downstairs are shut, open it up if you are there!
Tomorrow, lunch time ish.

Quote:
...yeah, we do need to quantify this, along with magical spell velocities.

*sighs*

Keroko, Liingo, ark, need help here.

The idea of comparing to adrenalin/stimulant boost makes logical sense, and will need further discussion.

Maybe we should bring this to the Magic and Tech thread and hash it out there?

....and I never thought I'd see ATC entering the quantifying debate. Yosh, to MagiTech thread!
Awww, do we have to? I'd rather stay in here
Quote:
But I'm stuck between submitting to the supreme goddess Horo-chama and joining the gondolists!
Or you could just be like me and have Horo row the gondola for you.... in an undine uniform........ with glasses

*runs from the angry mob*
Quote:
Do provide us with daily updates.
Will do
Quote:
The Forwards went from B to AA in less than a year, and they're not that good either... unless she's even lower down the chart, or had reached her 'magical limit.'
EEHHHHHHHHHHH????

What did this info come from?? This is the first time I've heard of this...

@USB, I'll get to the profile the next time I'm here

*rides off in the gondola*

EDIT
Aaron. You're hearby promoted as the poster boy of the haxx busters You're additional present is on the way
Old 2008-02-25, 04:16   Link #20591
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiji Tabibito View Post
And it's my right because I made it.
What Goose meant was what gives you the right to not have your ideas nitpicked while other peoples ideas are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiji Tabibito View Post
Do you think PROFESSIONAL writers think about details like this when they're putting together their stories?

No. Why? Simple. Because with a vague skeleton, it's easier to fill the details in as you go rather than have EVERYTHING planned out, and then have to go back and change it later.
Which is, uhm, exactly what we are doing? Filling and tweaking the details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
Editing is possible, but timing is not. You can make the cells unstable, but never program it to die at a preset time. Unless, of course, you inject it with programmable material (I don't know, nanomachines, maybe?) that will activate when their time arrives.
Well, you have to remember that Jail could determine how fast the Sentoukijin would mature, and slow their aging when they had reached the apropriate age. The reverse does not sound too impossible for a man like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
Here's a random question partially related to several arguments we've seen/had in the last fifty or so pages.

Do we have any quantification on how much a power boost physically harms a person? I don't mean 'linker core damaged, 8% total power loss.' I mean, physical distress such as causing exhaustion, collapse, fainting, systemic shock, cardiac arrest.

If not, we need to figure out a way to quantify it so that when the ideas of mega power boosts are applied, the counter-argument consists of something more solid then just an 'Uhhh... NO! It HAXX!'

As an example that Nanoha's 5X Starlight Breaker Blaster 3 boost... She was boosting whatever rank level that was stated. But she was still standing, worn out, but standing. But also add in extra factors such as having just been under continuous combat conditions for 2 1/2 hours, having fired a boosted level one Excellion Buster, a boosted level three Divine Buster, was getting beat around by Vivio for probably a good ten minutes. Which seems to me like more than just boost straing, but continuous combat strain on top of things.

I say this because once you have a solid backing argument to return fire with, having situation calls that end up with two pages of arguing whether its fair could be quelled in a single fast post.

That being said, I see the power boost acting like an adrenaline rush... or other stimulant effects common with a stimulant drug overdose.

That being said... how much is too much?

At what point does going up in power result in:

"rapid heartbeat, muscle cramps, seizures, paranoia, psychosis, confusion, loss of control of movement, vomiting, lack of consciousness, and possibly cardiac arrest" ?

What about rebound effects? How tired does a mage get coming off the power surge? Fatigue? Exhaustion? Collapse? Coma? Death?
No, not really. However, Nanoha did recieve a physical injury in episode 23 after using Blaster 1.

The effects of a power surge should, in my opinion, be proportionate to the amount of power that is gained. The more power is gained, the higher the effects. I always prefer to think of the effects a power surge would cause as physically exhausting, untill a threshold has been reached when it becomes physically damaging. The damage should be something like what Zest suffered, though I'm not familiar with the medical terms. Concidering the Linker Core is inside the body, overloading it would most likely result in internal bleeding.

Of course, this is purely speculative.

Quote:
Oh by the way... simple Nanoha trap. Thought it up at random during one of my spontanious 'How would "I" defeat Nanoha' moments right as I was trying to go to sleep.

Room + Metal Door + AMF + VX Nerv Agent = Dead Mage(s).

Could be an... interesting dillema to see the mages get out of or avoid.

Just lure them in, amp the AMF, slam the door, pump in the organophosphate.
Raising Heart: [Master, the room is filling with nerv agent!]

Cast: *gasps*

Hayate: Wait, we're wearing Barrier Jackets, aren't we?

Fate: ... yeah?

Hayate: And Barrier Jackets can filter out things like gases and agents, right?

*the cast blinks, shrugs, and proceeds to blow down the door*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
@Anita: Okay. I'll stop calling you Ojou-sama. (Though I have to apologize because the others might start doing so.)

Quote:
@Keroko:

Now that's one BLOODY AWESOME!!! shop!!!
It fits in so well! Awesome job!
Thanks.

Quote:
And... I guess one of my targets as a sub-writer is if I can make you cry with the drama I'm planning!()
Heeh? I'm looking forward to it.
Old 2008-02-25, 04:22   Link #20592
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Last post for today, I guess.

==============

Quote:

*memo to self, must figure out how to increase Kyosuke's default will so that RAMPAGE GHOST can be conducted on Zengar for GREAT JUSTICE.*
Yes. Rampage Ghosting people is always fun

===============

Quote:
I don't think Mai would mind if Frieda adopted her... along with Gwen and the rest of the Shadow Ravens
I bet Takeru's life will be worse then hell. though he's got a devil's luck to have a foster sister from hell in the first place.

*is killed by a stray 50-cal bullet*

==============

Quote:
Which I doubt there would be anything left.. especially with BAKABAKABAKABAKA spree

==============

Quote:
Quote:
B please

*RUNS*
Actually.....

Spoiler:

You guys are serious to see Frieda's yurilover tsundere sister, aren't you?

In before awesome hot yuri action.

*runs from Sayoko & Frieda's tsundere sister*

More of her (and of course, Takeru's rebuild) coming soon.

==================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liingo View Post
Or you could just be like me and have Horo row the gondola for you.... in an undine uniform........ with glasses

Horo in Undine uniform as a gondolist? In glasses? OH GOD DO WANT THIS TO HAPPEN

Awakened Horo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> USB500
Old 2008-02-25, 04:25   Link #20593
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Actually.....

Spoiler:
*slams breaks into a schreeching halt*

Source manga, now!
Old 2008-02-25, 04:29   Link #20594
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Woops! Another quick post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*slams breaks into a screeching halt*

Source manga, now!
Actually, I found it on the imageboard a very long time ago, and I didn't even bother asking for the original source.

This week's work: updating Belkan Gunslinger's database and introducing more of the Johansen Family members especially Frieda's tsundere yurilover sister.

*logs off. Ja matta ashita~*
Old 2008-02-25, 04:32   Link #20595
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Keroko, maybe you should read up 'AMF' that was indicated as part of that formula. You'll find that alters the course of events just a bit.

EDIT: Image S.T.G. VIII would love the Lance.
Old 2008-02-25, 04:32   Link #20596
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagerou View Post
I have a lot of theories set up, and Goose and I are shooting them at each other to see what happened to start all this. The medical report is simply a well-evidenced hypothesis, though it even states that *they* don't know what exactly happened to cause this.
You can knock Jail's "timebomb" off the list. I think he would have done everything he could to keep her alive as long as possible. He needed her to keep the Cradle. Once Vivio was disconnected from the throne, the ship went into emergency mode. The same thing would happen if she died. It's speculation if Quattro was still up and about at the time, would she have been able to keep the ship going normally?
Given time and his knowledge of Al Hazard tech, he could eventually come up with a bypass. But he'd still want to have Vivio on hand, just in case.
Thefore, Jail would want something as close to the original Saint Kaiser as possible. Preferably with no such nasty modifications.
Old 2008-02-25, 04:41   Link #20597
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
And also... Aurion's in more trouble since he can use transformation magic quite well himself...
Anymore reason for Julie to like Aaron asides from him doing a Shaider/Gavan/Jiban... or god forbid, SHURIKENGER impersonation?

*runs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R
We'll be looking forward to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R
Just take it as a little public confession on how I've been feeling after seeing the better developments of the OC now. It may sound childish, but that's how I felt. I hope nobody minds if I spill some of my thoughts and feelings here.
We don't mind at all

And frankly, blessed is he who repents, though you don't need much in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liingo View Post

MOST EXCELLENT IDEA

Although we need to give her a name starting with A

*runs*

Quote:
I bet Takeru's life will be worse then hell. though he's got a devil's luck to have a foster sister from hell in the first place.

*is killed by a stray 50-cal bullet*
Yeah

Though if ever that happens, coupled with some of my plans for Mai and the Linebackers...

Does that mean Frieda becomes the Linebacker's Mother-in-law?

Smith:
Wesson:

*headshot >>> Lowe & Linebackers*

Neil: Those guys never learn...

Quote:
Actually.....

Spoiler:

You guys are serious to see Frieda's yurilover tsundere sister, aren't you?

In before awesome hot yuri action.

*runs from Sayoko & Frieda's tsundere sister*

More of her (and of course, Takeru's rebuild) coming soon.
Of course we're serious

She kinds reminds me of Reimi from Zoids Genesis for some reason... so she's Takeru's... "sister" if you will?

in before yuricest action

*runs*

Quote:

Horo in Undine uniform as a gondolist? In glasses? OH GOD DO WANT THIS TO HAPPEN

Awakened Horo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> USB500

*runs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*slams breaks into a schreeching halt*

Source manga, now!
SECONDED!!!

Edit:

... no source then?

[Vader] NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! [/Vader]

Old 2008-02-25, 04:44   Link #20598
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Actually, I found it on the imageboard a very long time ago, and I didn't even bother asking for the original source.

This week's work: updating Belkan Gunslinger's database and introducing more of the Johansen Family members especially Frieda's tsundere yurilover sister.

*logs off. Ja matta ashita~*
No source? Damn...

Quote:
Keroko, maybe you should read up 'AMF' that was indicated as part of that formula. You'll find that alters the course of events just a bit.
This is part of the Nerve agent challenge, right? In that case, Field Effects can remain active in an AMF (for example, episode 21).

Quote:
EDIT: Image S.T.G. VIII would love the Lance.
Yes, yes she would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
You can knock Jail's "timebomb" off the list. I think he would have done everything he could to keep her alive as long as possible. He needed her to keep the Cradle. Once Vivio was disconnected from the throne, the ship went into emergency mode. The same thing would happen if she died. It's speculation if Quattro was still up and about at the time, would she have been able to keep the ship going normally?
Given time and his knowledge of Al Hazard tech, he could eventually come up with a bypass. But he'd still want to have Vivio on hand, just in case.
Thefore, Jail would want something as close to the original Saint Kaiser as possible. Preferably with no such nasty modifications.
That certainly is true. Then how about this: Jail is smart enough to know how important it is to keep her alive, but we also know that Jail is not the one who created her. What if whomever had created Vivio did a poor job at it, and when accelerating her growth, never really engineered a reverse. Concidering the small timeframe between Vivio's capture and the activation of the Cradle, it's reasonable to say that Jail didn't have the time to fix the problem, so he decided to use the Cradle to elmiminate the primary threat first, and fix Vivio's state after things calmed down. Unfortunately, due to the disruption of his plans, Jail never got to repair Vivio's state.

This shifts the blame from Jail to whatever random scientists were responsible for Vivio's engineering, while having only a minor impact on the story.

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-02-25 at 05:08.
Old 2008-02-25, 05:13   Link #20599
Jimmy C

Keroko, that sounds like a good idea.
Old 2008-02-25, 05:17   Link #20600
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Looking through StrikerS again, apparently Schach is addressed as "Sister Schach" (actually pronounced "Sister Schach" in the Japanese dialogue), while Carim is addressed as "Knight Carim" (as "Kishi Carim" in the dialogue).

I have no idea what the significance of this is.

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Dkellis, how long has this character of yours been in the Bureau? That would have more baring on her rank than her current age.
My original plan for the character:

Enlistment at age 16 (more accurately 16.5) to commissioned officer: 1 year 6 months (stretchable to 2 years if needed) - She was originally non-commissioned, but greatly impressed her superiors (including Fate, who's not actually her superior in any sense) by doing some rather GAR things. She was recommended into OCS, and passed with distinction.

2nd Lt to 1st Lt: 1 year at most - Assigned position of 2IC along the way. Not really related to her actual military rank, but helps her shine in command for a while.

1st Lt to Captain: 6 months at most - A series of unfortunate events happen to her direct superiors and seniors. She is assigned command of the unit. The "brevet Captain" idea could actually work kind of well.

The unit in question is small, less than twenty people, but is directly under Battalion level (which is commanded by a full Colonel, whose name I've already pulled out of my Random Character Names file, but which may change if I get a better idea), which would technically make it a Company. I don't know if it still counts as a Company.

I can't really say "trust me" with regards to the story justifying why her superiors are so impressed with her, since I personally have doubts as to my ability to write it out. The scenes in my head are definitely impressive enough, but transcribing them into text always loses something.

So trust me when I say I have the best intentions, but feel free to complain about it when the event actually happens and it doesn't seem as convincing as it should have been.

If it matters, personality-wise she's no-nonsense and serious. She's not ambitious as such, but she's not averse to promotion either.

Quote:
The Forwards went from B to AA in less than a year, and they're not that good either... unless she's even lower down the chart, or had reached her 'magical limit.'
Yeah, I don't know how to deal with this possibility, honestly speaking.

In terms of what this character has to do in the story, there's no need at all for her to rise above A+, which is her current mage ranking. Her actions could conceivably be interpreted as AA rank, but there's no real reason (so far) for her to take the formal AA rank exam.

At no point in the story does she display any ability of AA+ and above. So, the only way I can fit it into the story is by Telling but not Showing: I just say that "oh, she's AA+" (or above), and leave it at that.

I can raise her mage rank to AA+ or above by just writing it to be so, and there's really nothing contradicting it. There's just nothing justifying it either, and it begins to strike me as a sort of Mary Sueism.

So there's no reason for me to keep her mage rank at A+, and no reason for me to raise it either. Except, of course, for the authorial "because I want to".

-

Random thought:

I'm operating under the assumption that Mage Rank Exams run by the TSAB actually go by the letter grades, without the plus or minus modifiers.

The modifiers are determined by how well the examinees do in the ranking exam: if they just barely pass, they get a minus. If they pass comfortably, they get that letter. If they pass easily with flying colours, they get the plus.

I'm still working out whether an AA ranked mage can stay at official rank C+ by not bothering to take a higher exam, but there's that comment in StrikerS about Teana and Subaru needing to pass the B rank exam, since it is "dangerous" for them to remain at C rank.

Also, I could be completely mistaken. Since I'm not going to be writing a Mage Rank Exam in the first place, it's just idle speculation at this point.

-

I am so very tempted to create an entire fleet of dimensional vessels, entirely so I can name them. And these won't even be good names, much less keeping with the established "Asura" or "Claudia".

There's just something irresistable about having a group of heavily-armed warships with names like "Honest Opinion", "Appeal To Reason", "Exuberant Greeting", "Big Stick", "Pointed Rejoinder", "Awkward Silence", "We Regret To Inform You", "No More Mr. Nice Guy", and all led by the flagship "Schadenfreude".
Closed Thread