AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > High School DxD [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2015-08-25, 16:21   Link #2061
KnightShade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf18 View Post
We are awaiting new jopjopjop to get his copy or get a raw online. At which point he will give us one of his fairly detailed summary and we can hopefully put to rest the great Kuroko debate.

Although I am sure someone will find some thing else to argue with about her. I
@the bold, right? she's becoming the new asia of the harem in terms of polarity
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOsman View Post
Yeah, Kuroka'll have kids with Ise eventually, even if one of the two we know of right now isn't hers at all. I just want a confirmation as to whose kids the Nekomata guys are, and if both are Koneko's (or could it be that both are Kuroka's? I hope not).

Anyway, I'll look at the new BD Special now. If it translated yet, when will we get at least a summary? Just asking.

Edit: I just saw it. No subtitles yet, but it's hot because of the girls bodies with just their underwear on. And it's obvious that Ise is in the locker. Poor Ise, having to stay in a locker that was hit by Irina's light rings like that.
true, we already know ishi said every girl gets a happy end(cringe).

what was going on i the special?
KnightShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-25, 16:29   Link #2062
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
@the bold, right? she's becoming the new asia of the harem in terms of polarity

true, we already know ishi said every girl gets a happy end(cringe).

what was going on i the special?
Not really, I haven't seen any negative opinion about Kuroka. While Asia's seems to be on the 50-50 of people who hate her with the passion of a thousand suns to those that don't mind or like me who like her a lot.

What's the problem with all the girls getting a happy ending?

Asia, Xenovia and Irina were talking about underwear while wearing nothing but their underwear. In the end I think Xenovia says Ise's in a locker, he tries to escape while in the locker but Irina uses her light ring thingies to bind it. Pretty fun, but I can't say for sure until sub's are out.

Last edited by Chichiryuushintei; 2015-08-25 at 16:40.
Chichiryuushintei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-25, 17:15   Link #2063
KnightShade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichiryuushintei View Post
Not really, I haven't seen any negative opinion about Kuroka. While Asia's seems to be on the 50-50 of people who hate her with the passion of a thousand suns to those that don't mind or like me who like her a lot.

What's the problem with all the girls getting a happy ending?

Asia, Xenovia and Irina were talking about underwear while wearing nothing but their underwear. In the end I think Xenovia says Ise's in a locker, he tries to escape while in the locker but Irina uses her light ring thingies to bind it. Pretty fun, but I can't say for sure until sub's are out.
it mainly stems from the wiki during the time born was airing, as well as that spat i had with a user hear some time ago. though as you said it nothing close to asia.

nothing, except for any and all tension from the story effectively being KIA.

sound hilarious, sub needs to hurry
Old 2015-08-25, 17:19   Link #2064
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
it mainly stems from the wiki during the time born was airing, as well as that spat i had with a user hear some time ago. though as you said it nothing close to asia.

nothing, except for any and all tension from the story effectively being KIA.

sound hilarious, sub needs to hurry
I still don't know why some people expect that kind of tension in a harem/ecchi series. I think I need Captain Obvious's help.
Old 2015-08-25, 18:56   Link #2065
DragonOsman
Dragon King

There are harem/ecchi manga that have tension. Rosario+Vampire and Rosario+Vampire Season II (both are manga, it's "Season II" due to a serialization change and nothing more) had an open/harem ending (the main guy got the main female lead, yeah, but it doesn't seem like the other girls completely lost), and yet there was some tension in there as well (of course, no one died and the girls all got a happy ending, but there was still some tension). The main characters, especially the main girls, don't need to die to create tension. There are plenty of other ways to create tension, after all.

I mean, seriously, you really think this series doesn't have any tension or suspense at all? Do you honestly think that?

I, for one, am the kind of guy who doesn't have any problem with all of the main girls who love Ise getting a happy ending.

And I also don't hate Asia. I like her a lot.
Old 2015-08-25, 19:10   Link #2066
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
There are harem/ecchi manga that have tension. Rosario+Vampire and Rosario+Vampire Season II (both are manga, it's "Season II" due to a serialization change and nothing more) had an open/harem ending (the main guy got the main female lead, yeah, but it doesn't seem like the other girls completely lost), and yet there was some tension in there as well (of course, no one died and the girls all got a happy ending, but there was still some tension). The main characters, especially the main girls, don't need to die to create tension. There are plenty of other ways to create tension, after all.

I mean, seriously, you really think this series doesn't have any tension or suspense at all? Do you honestly think that?

I, for one, am the kind of guy who doesn't have any problem with all of the main girls who love Ise getting a happy ending.

I. Hate. Loath. And absolutely despise. Open endings. That's like, the biggest plus in D×D over most harem series. I know Ise will get married with all of them, unlike just wondering about what can and can't have happened.

That kind of tension would just feel out of place in this series. This isn't that serious and Ishibumi is well-aware of that. He never crosses that line.
Old 2015-08-25, 20:02   Link #2067
DragonOsman
Dragon King

It's not a full open-ending, though. Like I said, the main male lead ended up with the main female lead. But the other girls also have a way of spending time with him. It's a series with youkai. Vampires, Werewolves, Yuki-Onna (the good kind, who stay as beautiful girls rather than turning into gorillas, thankfully), Succubi, etc. There's one Succubus in the main guy's harem, so she can go into his dreams and make it so that she and the others besides the main one can still be with him in the Dream World. The main one stays with him in the real world. So in a way, they all win.
Old 2015-08-25, 20:05   Link #2068
Gary29
Not Bennia Lover

Quote:
I. Hate. Loath. And absolutely despise. Open endings. That's like, the biggest plus in D×D over most harem series. I know Ise will get married with all of them, unlike just wondering about what can and can't have happened.

That kind of tension would just feel out of place in this series. This isn't that serious and Ishibumi is well-aware of that. He never crosses that line.
I never really saw the lack of tension as an illogical thing anyways. In a real life setting you could just say he got extremely lucky finding a group of girls who share a bond strong enough to allow for a harem setting without in-fighting.
Old 2015-08-25, 20:28   Link #2069
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary29 View Post
I never really saw the lack of tension as an illogical thing anyways. In a real life setting you could just say he got extremely lucky finding a group of girls who share a bond strong enough to allow for a harem setting without in-fighting.
... Did you just say that a happy harem ending is believable? That's insane.

I'm not saying that as something bad. If I wanted believable stuff I wouldn't watch anime period.

Quote:
It's not a full open-ending, though. Like I said, the main male lead ended up with the main female lead. But the other girls also have a way of spending time with him. It's a series with youkai. Vampires, Werewolves, Yuki-Onna (the good kind, who stay as beautiful girls rather than turning into gorillas, thankfully), Succubi, etc. There's one Succubus in the main guy's harem, so she can go into his dreams and make it so that she and the others besides the main one can still be with him in the Dream World. The main one stays with him in the real world. So in a way, they all win.
I've read the manga. And no, not all of them win. Moka won and the others got a consolation prize. And I don't consider it an open ending. I just said I hate open endings.
Old 2015-08-25, 20:38   Link #2070
B214

Quote:
Yuki-Onna (the good kind, who stay as beautiful girls rather than turning into gorillas, thankfully)
Actually i think it's mentioned that all Yuki-Onna turn into gorillas when they grow up.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-25, 20:48   Link #2071
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
Originally Posted by B214 View Post
Actually i think it's mentioned that all Yuki-Onna turn into gorillas when they grow up.
Huh, not sure if you're joking, but he's talking about Mizore, the yuki-onna in Rosario+Vampire.
Old 2015-08-25, 21:03   Link #2072
jopjopjop

Quote:
Huh, not sure if you're joking, but he's talking about Mizore, the yuki-onna in Rosario+Vampire.
DxD also has that thing. Yuki-onnas are beautiful girls when they are young. They turn into gorillas when they grow up.

Raiser tried to recruit one. He said that the girl should join his peerage and never grow up.
Old 2015-08-25, 21:15   Link #2073
bluestahli1

Does the 'Turn into a gorilla when they grow up' only exist in the DxD verse? because if not, my image for mizore would be shared forever.
bluestahli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-25, 21:16   Link #2074
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopjopjop View Post
DxD also has that thing. Yuki-onnas are beautiful girls when they are young. They turn into gorillas when they grow up.

Raiser tried to recruit one. He said that the girl should join his peerage and never grow up.
I. Know. But that "turning into gorillas" part is something that Ishibumi made up and as far as I know is exclusive to D×D. Yuki Onnas in R+V stay normal. Just look at Mizore's mom.
Old 2015-08-25, 21:27   Link #2075
bluestahli1

Quote:
I. Know. But that "turning into gorillas" part is something that Ishibumi made up and as far as I know is exclusive to D×D. Yuki Onnas in R+V stay normal. Just look at Mizore's mom.
Thank freakin god!
bluestahli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-25, 21:49   Link #2076
KnightShade

Quote:
I still don't know why some people expect that kind of tension in a harem/ecchi series. I think I need Captain Obvious's help.
Quote:

@chichi, depends on what tension we're talking about.

to me, if the writer kept the universal happy ending a secret to the end, you would actually be genuinely worried and amped up in every battle. sure with dxd, we know the gremory group is OP, but now we're at a point that the only real significance the battles have now is to see who gets a new move. in short, once you know the destination, the journey becomes less of thrill and more of a waiting game. sure it's nice to know dxd wont bait and switch on us, but the thing is dxd is already unlike most harems out there in that the mc actively pursues a harem. anyone who thought one girl would win, even rias, honestly never paid attention.

@dragon, the bold is exactly my point. DxD's main way of creating tension at this point is death teasing (see asia, ravel, koneko, ect), with the author spoiling the end of the series he's going to need a new way to create tension because the current methods are getting old. perfect example, the premise of the EX novel.
Old 2015-08-25, 22:05   Link #2077
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
@chichi, depends on what tension we're talking about.

to me, if the writer kept the universal happy ending a secret to the end, you would actually be genuinely worried and amped up in every battle. sure with dxd, we know the gremory group is OP, but now we're at a point that the only real significance the battles have now is to see who gets a new move. in short, once you know the destination, the journey becomes less of thrill and more of a waiting game. sure it's nice to know dxd wont bait and switch on us, but the thing is dxd is already unlike most harems out there in that the mc actively pursues a harem. anyone who thought one girl would win, even rias, honestly never paid attention.

@dragon, the bold is exactly my point. DxD's main way of creating tension at this point is death teasing (see asia, ravel, koneko, ect), with the author spoiling the end of the series he's going to need a new way to create tension because the current methods are getting old. perfect example, the premise of the EX novel.
There was no tension then to begin with. Ever. At least I always thought the idea of a main character dying here was ludicrous from the moment I first watched the anime in 2012.

The main reason I like the fights in D×D is because the powers are cool. Never thought anyone had any chance of dying permanently.

I disagree on the main method Ishibumi uses to creating tension, the best fight by far up to now had no danger of death whatsoever. Seriously, did anyone ever thought Asia(v1&6), Ise(v11), or Ravel(v19) wouldn't be well? The moment I read that spoiler I already started to think of how she could be brought back or have escaped the danger.

I also don't understand how EX creates tension. It's about time travel. That's the King of Almighty Plot Devices.
Old 2015-08-25, 22:20   Link #2078
KnightShade

Quote:
There was no tension then to begin with. Ever. At least I always thought the idea of a main character dying here was ludicrous from the moment I first watched the anime in 2012.

I disagree on the main method Ishibumi uses to creating tension, the best fight by far up to now had no danger of death whatsoever. Seriously, did anyone ever thought Ravel wouldn't be well? The moment I read that spoiler I already started to think of how she could be brought back or have escaped the danger.

I also don't understand how EX creates tension. It's about time travel. That's the King of Almighty Plot Devices.
if your idea of tension is only the extreme, your missing the point. the numerous drawbacks to issei's improvement are things he's had to deal with that create tension. these served as a vehicle for his development, but once he reached his peak back in volumes 10-12, dxd started overusing the death tease to compensate for that.

cool powers are nice, but for me the fights like all other plot scenarios have to advance the plot, not regurgitate it.

if the author has to clarify that every girl gets a happy ending, you can bet plenty of people actually thought ravel could have kicked the bucket before said clarification, at least temporarily. but your examples do prove my point that there is a trend of needless death teasing. you can also add valerie from gaspers volume and a couple more if we extend it to friends/love ones.

with the story so far being super vauge about what happened to issei/asia, how is not creating tension?

Last edited by KnightShade; 2015-08-25 at 22:31.
Old 2015-08-25, 22:46   Link #2079
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
if your idea of tension is only the extreme, your missing the point. the numerous drawbacks to issei's improvement are things he's had to deal with that create tension. these served as a vehicle for his development, but once he reached his peak back in volumes 10-12, dxd started overusing the death tease to compensate for that.

cool powers are nice, but for me the fights like all other plot scenarios have to advance the plot, not regurgitate it.

if the author has to clarify that every girl gets a happy ending, you can bet plenty of people actually thought ravel could have kicked the bucket before said clarification, at least temporarily. but your examples do prove my point that there is a trend of needless death teasing. you can also add valerie from gaspers volume and a couple more if we extend it to friends/love ones.

with the story so far being super vauge about what happened to issei/asia, how is not creating tension?
"Once he reached his peak"

Uh, dude, he just keep geting stronger, there was never a "peak" for him. Even now he isn't at his "peak".

Valerie never even seemed to be dead. She just entered a coma. They alluded to her being dead for like, a paragraph.

Fights are fights. I want to see people beating the shit out of each other. Nothing more.

Well, thinking someone of the main cast can die in this type of series is just self-delusion. It's a harem/ecchi, not a darker shonen. Seriously, there was never a shred of a chance to any of those " deaths" being permanent. But this didn't stop me from crying like a bitch in v11.

It's time travel. You can bet, everything is going to be fixed in the end. Ishibumi said we don't need to read it to continue reading the main series so yeah, there'll be nothing important as a consequence. The fact I care less about the kids then I do about Motohama and Matsuda doesn't help.

Last edited by Chichiryuushintei; 2015-08-25 at 22:58.
Old 2015-08-26, 09:44   Link #2080
amtro
Distro

Getting vol 2 Monday next week. If any translators are interested in TLing DxD EX PM me for high res raws.
And I mean translators, anyone not Gary, or jop (I will PM you two personally with the raws) will have to show me their previous work. Randoms who pester me get reported~