Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-11-18, 00:07   Link #2121
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Not tooting my horn, just saying I'm the one who mentioned jeeps.

I thought so, although I didn't want to say anything and for it to be wrong.

Quote:
4 is the magic number, *cough*L4D*cough*
No comment....

Quote:
I'd like to know a bit about his background too to know what he's capable of doing in a situation like an Apocalypse.
Voi. If you want to know about me it's called a PM.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 00:25   Link #2122
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
I thought so, although I didn't want to say anything and for it to be wrong.

No comment....

Voi. If you want to know about me it's called a PM.
Yeah but lets share the wealth man. It's good to know what everyone can do, so when things go to crap, we know who to rely on for certain situations. Case in point, I'm not the world's best cook. So you won't want me cooking long term believe me. Also, I have absolutely no experience with explosives or chemical materials. I'm also not a very big guy, so anything requiring 120+ lbs of grunt work, I'm not going to last on. Lousy with languages, etc, etc. Just good to know what we all bring to the table, so there'll be no surprises.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 01:27   Link #2123
ZeKeR
Superbad

speaking of vehicles... i hear that a company reinforces brand SUV's for VIP protection...
Old 2010-11-18, 01:35   Link #2124
justinstrife

Oh come on James. Share the joke! We're all friends here. Right?
Old 2010-11-18, 03:14   Link #2125
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

So... anyone else watching the series "The Walking Dead" on AMC? I think it's pretty good so far. Great depiction of what real survivors might go through. Of course, your survival DOES largely depend upon contingencies that would be unknown prior to any outbreak.

Ah, I love zombie genred stuff. Such fun. Great for entertainment, and even educational in how to survive when the excrement hits the proverbial fan.
Old 2010-11-18, 03:54   Link #2126
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Regarding the survival locations/ways discussions above, I'd personally go with around 2-3 people and, if it's in the spring or summer, use my sailboat, as it doesn't require fuel to run and it's the safest place to be (presuming zombies can't climb anchor lines, in which case you would have to continually move, or don't dock for too long.) Using roughly 6-7 hour shifts, it wouldn't be too hard with 2-3 people to keep it floating.

Food would be canned, to a start. Water is just outside the hull (not salt water where I live, so boiled it's just fine. Perhaps the same goes for salt water). Fish as food is easily acquired. The problem would be when winter comes around, as the boat cannot be in the water as the hull will be crushed by the ice. Though, zombies will freeze and move more slowly, so actually taking the boat up and waiting could work.

In that case, there are several options, such as high buildings, industrial complexes with security fence, etc. Blockades in either would be an alternative.

Regarding weapons, I would stick to melee or just running away. I cannot handle a gun, nor can I acquire one, though I know many people who are hunters. Ammo would be a problem and the guns would only attract attention.

For transport, there are always cars and buses to "salvage". However... my hometown is the location of one of the biggest Volvo Wheel Loaders factories. Reinforce one of those and you got yourself a tank. Ofc, all of those runs on fuel so a bike would be a final alternative.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 05:48   Link #2127
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Just picked up five hundred once fired PMC 308Win cases for $109 shipped. I've finally got to my minimum ammunition level!

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 20:09   Link #2128
Lost Cause

Arbitres; I must say that was a very practical and impressive treatise on surviving I've read yet! KUDOS!!
The living off the land part was especially impressive, I don't think anybody brought up the "farm" part. And if I may suggest a Glock 9mm would be the way to go for a lightweight, simple, easy to carry and use package. Seeing how most of law enforcement types carry said gun, parts and bullets wouldn't be hard to come by either.
Question; for a melée weapon, are you suggesting something like a staff or a base ball bat?

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 21:39   Link #2129
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
Arbitres; I must say that was a very practical and impressive treatise on surviving I've read yet! KUDOS!!
The living off the land part was especially impressive, I don't think anybody brought up the "farm" part. And if I may suggest a Glock 9mm would be the way to go for a lightweight, simple, easy to carry and use package. Seeing how most of law enforcement types carry said gun, parts and bullets wouldn't be hard to come by either.
Question; for a melée weapon, are you suggesting something like a staff or a base ball bat?
The glock is considered the AK-47 of semi-auto handguns. Drop them in mud, in water, kick them, run them over, they will keep working. I've posted the weights before too. A glock .40 or 9mm weighs almost exactly half that of a Government 1911 .45acp and holds almost double the ammunition capacity standard. Factor in the less internal parts, means they are easier to field strip and clean as well. I love my Springfield, but it's not an ideal survival piece.

I wish my Grandparents and Great Uncle still had their farms in Minnesota. Would have been completely ideal for a situation like this.
Old 2010-11-18, 21:51   Link #2130
james0246

Quote:
I wish my Grandparents and Great Uncle still had their farms in Minnesota. Would have been completely ideal for a situation like this.
Minnesota can have horrendous mosquito problems during the summer (it is the land of a thousand lakes), and, since this hasn't been mentioned yet, it is always possible that mosquitoes can transmit a Zombie/Plague virus...

Just keeping you guys (and gal) on your toes ...

p.s. this si meant to be a joke...

Last edited by james0246; 2010-11-18 at 22:10.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 22:05   Link #2131
Lost Cause

^So I'm guessing that we should head west then, like maybe Arizona or Utah?

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2010-11-18, 22:09   Link #2132
james0246

Quote:
^So I'm guessing that we should head west then, like maybe Arizona or Utah?
A Desert or Mountainous region was always my first choice in the event of an Apocalypse. Not only will you find less people there to begin with, but the environment does not suit any type of infected person (whether it be with a plague of some sort, or a Zombie virus).
Old 2010-11-18, 22:30   Link #2133
Lost Cause

But James wouldn't that also mean that resupplying would also be a pain?

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2010-11-18, 22:49   Link #2134
james0246

Quote:
But James wouldn't that also mean that resupplying would also be a pain?
For a community: yes. For a small group (20 or so people at most): no. A singular well can go a hell of a long way for a small group of people, and as long as the land can be properly tilled, then a farm, even a shitty farm, can be started. An Apocalypse is all about survival, so staying anywhere near highly populated areas is a big no-no, and being in environmental advantageous area is a big positive.

Now an Island in the middle on an Ocean would be disadvantageous. Water is even scarcer, and the option for travel is near impossible (what happens if your boat and or plane breaks?). No, 'tis safer in a desert or, more likely, mid way up a mountain. (An interesting thought occurs, no matter your location, with the loss of the gentle hum of electricity present throughout our cityscapes, as well as the constant sound of humanity, sound will travel much farther than it has before, so a gunshot could probably be heard throughout an entire city, and if you are right outside of that city, it could probably be heard there too; so sound is an issue we would have to consider in an apocalyptic environment).

As I've said in the past, I emphasize Defense as my main survival strategy, so separation from the “monsters” at the end of the world will always been what I strive for.
Old 2010-11-18, 23:42   Link #2135
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
The glock is considered the AK-47 of semi-auto handguns. Drop them in mud, in water, kick them, run them over, they will keep working. I've posted the weights before too. A glock .40 or 9mm weighs almost exactly half that of a Government 1911 .45acp and holds almost double the ammunition capacity standard. Factor in the less internal parts, means they are easier to field strip and clean as well. I love my Springfield, but it's not an ideal survival piece.

true... but the grip is... seriously... PAINFUL... if i can redesign the thing, it should follow the M1911 grip
Old 2010-11-19, 00:12   Link #2136
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
true... but the grip is... seriously... PAINFUL... if i can redesign the thing, it should follow the M1911 grip
It depends on your hand I guess. I had no problems shooting my friend's Glock 27 .40 and the recoil was about half that of my 1911. But yes it is difficult to beat the 1911's overall ergonomics design.
Old 2010-11-19, 02:42   Link #2137
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I don't know why ALL guns don't have the 1911 grip angle. It's been proven to be the overall best (most people like its angle the best).... the gun practically aims itself.
Old 2010-11-19, 04:28   Link #2138
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I don't know why ALL guns don't have the 1911 grip angle. It's been proven to be the overall best (most people like its angle the best).... the gun practically aims itself.
since the M1911 has weight issues (yes, some people dislike the original for its freakin steel frame which IS heavy), the gun grip was designed that way.
also heard some rumors that it was originally designed to have a recoil suppression whilst firing the big .45ACP (.44Mag isnt that fat) as the Thompson SMG has proven that with its OMFGWTF recoil

try and practice double tap with a 92f and do the same with a kimber custom (i believe this is used for the SWAT teams and looks damn good too) and you'll see differences.

if my lulz mode is correct, you can put a few rounds at the same place using a 92f, but that doesnt mean that target's gonna go down...
Old 2010-11-19, 22:53   Link #2139
Lost Cause

James0246; While I agree with most of what you said there is one problem, things don't grow well in a desert! As for mid-mountain range, well only if we could find a flat area that is growing something already then maybe we could start a small garden
Keeping quiet during said apocalypse goes with out saying! But wouldn't you rather remove the threat at a distance than have to deal with it up close? And yes a gunshot can be heard for great distances but it would be rather hard to pin point, especially only one shot. Thats why snipers are so effective.
I do agree with the defensive stance though!
ZeKeR: Hollowpoint bullets do make the 9mm more effective. And it really doesn't matter what caliber you use, as long as your comfortable and confident with your choice.

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2010-11-19, 23:32   Link #2140
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

9mm full metal jackets are not even worth their own weight, but other types of 9mm bullet tips are perfectly fine. The FMJ round in 9mm just does not have enough ballistic force per round to make it worthwhile... much like the 5.56 NATO, imho.

Tags
apocalypse, firearms, survive, zombies